• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 7 - We hang out IRL now and be social and shit. (Also, Adrian's Revenge)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fredescu

He didnt trash it though, its still there for people building or buying of the plan >.> in fact its doubled.
That's not a bad thing if there needs to be more new houses built. It's the same in NSW, the stamp duty exemption for established houses is gone, and the FHOG for established houses is going next month, but it's all still in place for new places because apparently we need more new dwellings. I don't know if that last bit is true or of it is built on spin from the RE industry to keep prices up, but if it is true, providing an incentive for building or buying new is good, even if the incentive is entirely psychological.

senahorse

Over 30 years that extra $7k on your loan can cost you an extra $20k total. If you need the money, you're much better off getting a five year personal loan for $7k at 10%, which will only cost you an extra $2k.

I agree in principal and the potential savings I cannot argue with. I just believe it provided first home buyers with more options, i.e. not everyone has the luxury of getting a personal loan before their first mortgage (e.g. the bank my require no debt etc). I also agree that it has had a negative impact on housing prices, but I guess time will tell if they will come back down as a result of scrapping it. At the very least that same person buying a house for 500K doesn't need to gather the extra 12K for stamp duty as it currently stands, once they remove that (like in NSW) it will be even tougher for first home owners, those poor parents lol. Meanwhile I am sure the rental demand will increase and rent prices will probably go up because of it, speculative, but it won't surprise me.

Fredescu

once they remove that (like in NSW) it will be even tougher for first home owners, those poor parents lol.
Prices are dropping as we speak, and who knows how far they have to go. Buying might be even easier. You can't put a barrier in front of buyers like that and expect demand and therefore prices to stay the same.

senahorse

What you say makes sense Fred, but nothing about our housing market makes a lot of sense to me. The next 6 months will be very telling that's for sure.

Fredescu

That's the thing with economics. You can make predictions that seem to make a lot of sense but end up being dead wrong. Good old social sciences.

Danoss

Having recently started all-grain brewing I've noticed that the homebrewing community is also guilty of this (not to mention seeing it tons of other places like A/V forums, etc). One of my mates who started around the same time as me is always talking about how he wants to upgrade his "brewery" and all the scientific aspects, loves the terminology etc. I just want to make beer -- if I know all the science, it'll help (particularly when things go wrong), but I want to just create. I still think photography communities by and large are much worse, or at least the sort of photographers that frequently post on the Internet love talking shop rather than how to improve their craft.

I don't get it. I mean I get that people do it, by why people don't try and get the most out of what they have, rather than thinking that buying something better will make them better. Sure there are things that make it easier, and some of equipment has limitations that you have to buy your way out of, but that's not the whole of it.

With photography, the equipment is still just a dumb tool, it only does what you tell it to, and so buying better equipment doesn't make you a better photographer. I've found the one place that doesn't think better gear is the solution to all problems and won't say "nice photo" or "I like the colours" about every single photo. You don't learn and improve by everyone telling you how great you are, you learn from mistakes and trying not to make that same mistake again, whilst making others to learn from. If no one with a keen eye will tell you what you did wrong, how will you know?

That's what pisses me off most about the internet and photo communities most of all. The world doesn't need another circle jerk over yet another HDR abomination. I don't care if "it looks like a painting", it looks like shit, it's over-processed and utterly terrible. No one tells them this, so they think they're on to something and keep pumping out even worse images that make my eyeballs bleed.

I think the most important thing is just to dive in and get a group that will work up and running. It doesn't have to be perfect, but as someone else said, anything's better than nothing. Of course it should be something you're interested in as well, otherwise it'll just end up in a heap.

Right, except the only people who get to "dive in" are the players. Meanwhile, I've read and attempted to thoroughly understand the corebook, and read or written an adventure for it and have it all thought out, so I'm not caught completely by surprise. If it's not every one's cup of tea then I get to do it all again. It's easy to say when all you have to do is turn up.

To avoid all this, I thought I'd ask the players what sorts of things they'd be open to, rather than throwing shit at them over and over and seeing what sticks. I'd have to do that on top of learning a new system, teaching the new system and feeling my way through something I've never done before. I'm not expecting a perfect game, I've never done it before so I'm expecting it to be far from that; however, I have to start somewhere.

With two people already telling me I'm taking the wrong approach, it's rather discouraging. It has crossed my mind to throw in the towel already; it's certainly a lot easier than putting in a bunch of work so everyone enjoys themselves, only for it to fall flat on its face. It's hard enough already trying to read a bunch with ADD and having your mind constantly wander off, it takes forever and is unbelievably irritating. Maybe I've bitten off more than I can chew.

Rezbit

Just saw that a Port Adelaide player died while in Las Vegas. Seems like it was John McCarthy. Terrible news, very sad.

Choc

Banned
if you guys are on the fence about Tokyo Jungle, read David Wildgooses tweets from the weekend

he basically live tweeted it and its hillarious

edit: wonder how the players name got out, no one in media is naming neither is port

sad :(

Rlan

Meanwhile in the Halfbrick Game Room, just beat Sonic 3 & Knuckles with all Super Emeralds!

tumblr_ma476yCpdL1rys6fno1_1280.jpg

Gazunta

I'm more convinced than ever I need to bring in a spare MegaDrive or whatever in my office an set up a similar deal.

Or a MAME cabinet.

Jintor

WHY DO YOU SWEAT PALMS

IT'S NOT EVEN HOT

WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU

protip: don't shake hands with me because I think in another three levels I will unlock acid sweat and you will experience searing pain. In the meantime it will be totally awkward

markot

Banned
Wow, who gives a fuck about this twitter shit. Ignore it? Jesus.

Also, any car insurance recomendations >_<? Nrma? Aami? Etc!?

markot

Banned
Cheap is one factor, but do they pay out easy? I dont want to have to fight if anything happens >.<

Also, some mine companies declared job losses, incoming Abbot melt down.

hamchan

So who has been watching the new season of Doctor Who?

I think I know where they're going for it, linking back to season 6.

There isn't an obvious overarching story so far this season like there has been in the past, so I can't tell where they plan to go with it. Random fun adventure time so far is quite entertaining though. Dinosaur ep was like a kid's tv show.

I think I know where they're going for it, linking back to season 6.
Interesting really that two episodes in, and they haven't really touched on
the whole killing The Doctor thing

There isn't an obvious overarching story so far this season like there has been in the past
Of course there is!
Everywhere people are forgetting The Doctor. The Daleks don't know who is he, the bounty hunter's computer didn't have him on record, the Ponds are moving on
, plenty of overarching story to go on, and it's only two episodes in!

Yagharek

so good.

what are you thinking theyll do?

yeah im with syth
explain yourself

There isn't an obvious overarching story so far this season like there has been in the past, so I can't tell where they plan to go with it. Random fun adventure time so far is quite entertaining though. Dinosaur ep was like a kid's tv show.

Spoiler time. References to season 5/6 follow and the first two eps of 7.

In s7 ep1,
someone tells him to 'remember'
In s7 ep2,
he seems to be unaware of things going on - more general but there was a specific reference I forget right this moment

Basically, I think it still has a lot to do with a certain other character from s6 and something only they know.
river song presumably knows his name, something almost no-one else does

Spoilers!

Yagharek

Interesting really that two episodes in, and they haven't really touched on
the whole killing The Doctor thing

Of course there is!
Everywhere people are forgetting The Doctor. The Daleks don't know who is he, the bounty hunter's computer didn't have him on record, the Ponds are moving on

Well the whole thing to me hinges on one thing:

Its the Doctor who has forgotten something very important, not everyone else

hamchan

Of course there is!

Eh I wouldn't call it plenty. I know it's there but it's not a very big deal yet, unlike how series 5 and 6 started.

Interesting

Yagharek

Anyway, now the paralympics are over, series 6 is finishing up on abc2 this week. I suspect there is a lot of subtle clues in there to dig into...

The main antagonist/s
The Silence
have a very specific job to do.

They want:
To stop The Doctor from asking a very important question.

I suspect:
The Doctor found out what it was, they got to him, now he is forgotten by others (perhaps himself) and it helps The Silence's cause if others dont know about him - eg that scanner had no record of him. Because if they keep after him, he may be likely to remember he should be doing something very, very important

Eh I wouldn't call it plenty. I know it's there but it's not a very big deal yet, unlike how series 5 and 6 started.
I don't think it's really that much different. 5 in particular only had small additions to the overarching story made through many episodes. 6 was bookended by story-focused episodes, sure, but the middle was still the same filler with small story points as usual.

Certainly a possibility, though I don't know if they've really pointed to
The Doctor not knowing who is is
, but rather
him feeling lost because people are beginning to not recognise him
. The latter may lead to the former coming to the forefront, I suppose.

r1chard

Quite enjoyed both of the new season 7 Dr Who eps. Can't believe people on the Interwebs got so irate about ep 2 that Moffatt had to quit Twitter. Man, I think the whole Interweb needs to take a chill pill.

Tried out Breaking Bad, but pretty much don't really like any of the characters. And my wife says that if they're gonna get their shirts off then there'd better be some damn payoff. I think we've all been spoiled by True Blood.

Also tried out Parks and Recreation but I found it decidedly unfunny for a sitcom.

Warehouse 13 new season has been a bit meh. Unbelievably it seems as though the acting has actually somehow gotten worse than just funnily bad.

So we're watching Buffy again. For, like, the bazillionth time.

Give Breaking Bad and Parks and Recreation some time. They're both pretty good, in their own ways.

Parks and Recreation neither the wife or I liked at first but we revisited it since others seemed to like it, and it is pretty good.

With Breaking Bad, you're not really meant to like any of the characters. Most of them are bad people doing terrible things. It's such a tense show, and boy oh boy does it pay off. Stick with it if you can, it's easily the best show currently on TV.

Yagharek

Quite enjoyed both of the new season 7 Dr Who eps. Can't believe people on the Interwebs got so irate about ep 2 that Moffatt had to quit Twitter. Man, I think the whole Interweb needs to take a chill pill.

Oh ffs.

That episode is right up there with Blink as one of the greatest of the modern era. I'd say its the equal. On one hand, Blink is incredibly tense, as it introduced an enemy that is scarier than any other in the whole series, including the cybermen and daleks.

Last night's episode was amazing thanks to being completely absurd, having a certain subject matter (which is really dumb when you overanalyse it), but like modern day Lego, it works because IT IS SO FUCKING COOL!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom