• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 7 - We hang out IRL now and be social and shit. (Also, Adrian's Revenge)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clipper

what's a good site for plane tickets? all the ones i know (adioso, webjet, expedia) require me to pick dates and then they show me the cheapest

i just want to say oct 20th to nov 6th show me what evers cheap

For International stuff, I use Zuji. Gives you a +/- 3 day option on your dates and displays it in a grid for easy viewing. You'd need to do 3 searches to cover the range you want, but that's not too many...

Yagharek

what's a good site for plane tickets? all the ones i know (adioso, webjet, expedia) require me to pick dates and then they show me the cheapest

i just want to say oct 20th to nov 6th show me what evers cheap

Use those sites to find the cheap flight times, then book them via the airline's own page.

The Tamron 17-50/2.8 is a great lens for the price.
I'm going to use the excuse that the zoom/focus are backwards to my existing lens, and that it's not USM to pass this time around. ;)

Aside from all of that, have fun in Japan. I hope you'll share some cool pics with us.
Here's a few from last year:
Tokyo
Kyoto
Osaka
Were I not lazy, there would be a lot more uploaded.

Holy (and perhaps evl, since you always seem to be what-iffing), you might find Kayak Explore interesting. http://www.kayak.com/explore/. If you're doing a complex route, see a travel agent since they know the tricks and rules around airline groups, codesharing, using stopover rules to your advantage.

Danoss

I'm going to use the excuse that the zoom/focus are backwards to my existing lens, and that it's not USM to pass this time around. ;)

I see what's going on here and I will say no more, so you don't feel bad.

Here's a few from last year:
Tokyo
Kyoto
Osaka
Were I not lazy, there would be a lot more uploaded.

Just be not lazy this time around. I'd friend you on Flickr, but I'm abandoning it for 500px, unless Flickr makes some drastic improvement to their site, as has been promised.

I was previously unaware that Australian breakfast shows were awesome.

Gangham style

I'm not sure 'awesome' was the word you were looking for in this case. :p

The other videos were great though. I love breakfast shows. I don't even know why. They have nice music and banter perfect for groggy mornings.. well, mornings in general.

I see what's going on here and I will say no more, so you don't feel bad.
Guessing you think it's off-brand hatred? Used a Sigma for ages beforehand and was happy enough with it. If not, speak up, you've never let it stop you before. :p

Just be not lazy this time around. I'd friend you on Flickr, but I'm abandoning it for 500px, unless Flickr makes some drastic improvement to their site, as has been promised.
I've let my Flickr Pro account lapse this year. Would've a couple of years ago but I had three years paid up. Yahoo has really screwed them.

Sitting in front of Lightroom is just too much effort nowadays. I think I shared more photos when I was a bit more into the community on Flickr and thus got some sort of feedback. The wife still gets tons of value from the community.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
anyone want to order any 3ds games on amazon? (NA 3DS)

ty cods, yes atm i'm just waiting to hear back from GOM if the GSL finals will be on the saturday night or day, as if theyre day time i'll miss them so i'll just fly over next week when its 150 cheaper

Danoss

Guessing you think it's off-brand hatred? Used a Sigma for ages beforehand and was happy enough with it. If not, speak up, you've never let it stop you before. :p

Nah, I thought you were justifying not being able to afford it with a reason why. That's why I wasn't saying anything more, wasn't going to try and make you feel bad if it's something you thought of as suitable.

I've let my Flickr Pro account lapse this year. Would've a couple of years ago but I had three years paid up. Yahoo has really screwed them.

Sitting in front of Lightroom is just too much effort nowadays. I think I shared more photos when I was a bit more into the community on Flickr and thus got some sort of feedback. The wife still gets tons of value from the community.

The new person, whatever her name is, swears they'll put more effort into Flickr, but I'll believe it when I see it. They gutted what was left of the team not so long ago, and it was so neglected internally at one stage that no one could really give a shit anymore. No wonder it stagnated for so long and they are only now putting in some effort as a reaction to 500px, the first real challenger.

I've always found Lightroom an absolute pleasure to use. The 4.0 version was rather annoying, but they fixed the main complaint in 4.1, which didn't come out quick enough if you ask me. With Jeffrey Freidl's Flickr Plugin, it's pretty easy to upload straight to Flickr once you're done processing. The 500px plugin still leaves a lot to be desired though.

As for the Flickr community, I think it's absolute shit. Unless you know the people on there, and they're decent photographers without stupid brains then I'm sure it's probably okay. Most of what I see is retarded people giving retarded advice to other retards. HDR reigns supreme and half of them wouldn't know a decent photo if printed itself on a large canvas and dropped in front of their face. Forget critique, because every photo is amazing and wins 7,000 "awards".

Edit: The SA photo community is excellent if you want feedback on your photos and other advice or ideas. I don't tell many people about it, because well, I like it and don't want too many people to go there, because I don't want it to evolve into another gear-wankery forum. I'd start a proper photo thread here on GAF where critique is a thing, but I know the types on this forum and it's a very bad idea. If you don't tell them how great they are, they don't want to hear it and will get their back up whilst other forum members run to their aid. Plus, more gear-wankery. No "how did you take that photo", instead it's "what did you use to take that photo".

Yagharek

Only 3 levels/9 star coins left in NSMB Wii until it is *complete*
Last 4 levels are amazing. 9-7 is EVIL though >:

Wait till they start nerfing it again.

I stopped playing midway through Act 2 inferno.

Mustve been a letdown after all the runaround for the CE you had to go through :/

pssst. Start ausgaf-dnd or something up again ~ I feel sad I missed out when you guys used to do it.

lets be friends

It's coming. I figured I'd stop rooting around through all my books and worrying about whether or not each particular system would be good or not. I realised since I'd be running my first game, it's highly likely to be bad either way.

I think I'll post soon asking what sort of game those who are interested are looking for. No sense prepping a game if it doesn't suit the players tastes too. It'll save me time reading all sorts of different stuff, and I can focus solely on what will help tell the story best. I've whipped up all sorts of banners; time to put them to use.

We can both be part of Old-Man AusGAF.

seriously fuck that man. we should just play anything and if we dont like it try something else.
somethings better than nothing right?
as long as i can score some more awesome character art and turn out to be as awesome as milky ill be happy.
never cared for bruce lee

Danoss

seriously fuck that man. we should just play anything and if we dont like it try something else.
somethings better than nothing right?
as long as i can score some more awesome character art and turn out to be as awesome as milky ill be happy.

You wanna do it then? Go and run D&D, the most bland, uninteresting RPG. I'm not interested.

I'm after something more than "see that spell? I cast that" or "I use my diplomacy" *roll dice* "I pass and persuade him". So goddamn boring. If that's what everyone is expecting, well then, it's DOA as far as I'm concerned.

Mumei

don't point them to the OP lol.

Haha. I only looked after I saw this post!

Mumei followin me around.

So far as I am concerned, you are primarily KPop-GAF. I would follow you there if I followed you anywhere. ;)

AusGAF raised, but born in the US. I wander between worlds, homeless, but sticking my nose in everywhere. :)

Ah, I see. When did you move to Australia?

Why not? We might get the thread title fixed :p

mumei: in case youre wondering, we had a few ausgaf casualties of a certain c-word. We needed a public service announcement to keep it in check. Ausgaf is
a sad place when someone gets banned

Oh, I know what it was about.

Salazar

So far as I am concerned, you are primarily KPop-GAF.

9ztFP.gif

I can deal.

Stackboy

Thanks for the support guys. If I do lose my job I have enough savings to last me about 6 months, so I would be fine. Should find out more tomorrow.

Y'all are a great internet.

Thanks for the support guys. If I do lose my job I have enough savings to last me about 6 months, so I would be fine. Should find out more tomorrow.
What a shit situation they've put you in. Uncertainty is probably the worst part, especially if you like and are attached to the place you're already in. Good luck!

As for the Flickr community, I think it's absolute shit. Unless you know the people on there, and they're decent photographers without stupid brains then I'm sure it's probably okay.
For someone interested in photography, yeah, Flickr is terrible. The wife though is less interested in taking photos and more interested in using the photos she takes to facilitate other hobbies. Occasionally she'll ask how to achieve a particular effect and if I know I'll help out but she doesn't care how. In that respect, the community is pretty good -- she's made a ton a friends through Flickr.

No "how did you take that photo", instead it's "what did you use to take that photo".
Having recently started all-grain brewing I've noticed that the homebrewing community is also guilty of this (not to mention seeing it tons of other places like A/V forums, etc). One of my mates who started around the same time as me is always talking about how he wants to upgrade his "brewery" and all the scientific aspects, loves the terminology etc. I just want to make beer -- if I know all the science, it'll help (particularly when things go wrong), but I want to just create. I still think photography communities by and large are much worse, or at least the sort of photographers that frequently post on the Internet love talking shop rather than how to improve their craft.

growing up, what was your exposure to bruce lee
Minimal to none. Enter the Dragon was about all I saw and I never understood the main actor's importance. A few Jackie Chan movies on SBS were pretty much my exposure. That's all changed, of course, and having done Wing Chun* for a few years, can appreciate the man a little more.

* Really wish my current circumstances allowed me to get back into it, I really loved it. I trained with a sifu whose master was Tsui Sheung Tin, who was Bruce Lee's si hing (sort of middle level teacher), which gave me a feeling of some connection.

never cared for bruce lee
We can't be friends any more until you go watch The Big Boss and Fist of Fury on a constant loop.

You wanna do it then? Go and run D&D, the most bland, uninteresting RPG. I'm not interested.
I think the most important thing is just to dive in and get a group that will work up and running. It doesn't have to be perfect, but as someone else said, anything's better than nothing. Of course it should be something you're interested in as well, otherwise it'll just end up in a heap.

senahorse

Newman strikes again.

The $7000 first home buyers' grant will be axed in favour of a boost for the ailing construction industry, the government has revealed.
In tomorrow's budget, the Newman government will scrap the current First Home Owner Grant and replace it with a $15,000 handout to first-time buyers purchasing off-the-plan or newly-constructed properties.
First-time buyers, who purchase an established property, will still qualify for the $7000 grant if they sign contracts by October 11.

Read more: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/que...owner-grant-20120910-25mvu.html#ixzz2619jqL1d

Now I know the FHOG probably helped increase housing prices slightly I think this is bad move. That $7000 comes in really handy when you're buying a house in today's market, it certainly helped us out to a certain degree and scrapping it will just make it that one bit harder for first home owners to get into the market.

legend166

So I'm trying to find out what this tweet to Robbie Farah was that has everyone so riled up, but I can't. I'm assuming it's horrible and offensive, but everyone wanting to throw someone in prison over a tweet concerns me.

They upped it to $15k, what is the issue! (I know there will be flow on issues but hey, an extra bit of cash if I buy a new house? Awesome)

So I'm trying to find out what this tweet to Robbie Farah was that has everyone so riled up, but I can't. I'm assuming it's horrible and offensive, but everyone wanting to throw someone in prison over a tweet concerns me.

I think it was a mum joke. People need to understand what the internet is though. One person making a terrible effort to upset someone is bad but not worth anything more than reporting them for a ban. If it is a whole collective of people, something has to be done about the collective. After all, they didn't ban everyone who tweeted that the crisis in Japan was karma.

Fredescu

They upped it to $15k, what is the issue! (I know there will be flow on issues but hey, an extra bit of cash if I buy a new house? Awesome)
Higher property prices are much worse for the buyer than a bit of extra pocket money. You pay more interest on your loan and more stamp duty. You would save a lot more money by having the prices lower to begin with and taking out a personal loan, even at 10%. The only beneficiary of the FHOG is the seller, which is why some have nicknamed it the "First Home Vendors Grant" since that's what it is.

legend166

I think it was a mum joke. People need to understand what the internet is though. One person making a terrible effort to upset someone is bad but not worth anything more than reporting them for a ban. If it is a whole collective of people, something has to be done about the collective. After all, they didn't ban everyone who tweeted that the crisis in Japan was karma.

Yeah, I think there's something to be said for creating legislation that can go after a person/group who launch a series of sustained, targeted attacks at someone online. That's horrible. But throwing someone in jail for what is the online equivalent of yelling out the window at a stranger on the street? That's stupid.

If we through people in prison everyone someone said something that offended someone's sensibilities, the entire population would be in prison.

I mean, look at what happened in England with the guy who mocked Fabrice Muamba on twitter. He got thrown in prison for a month. I can't even fathom how that's acceptable.

America got the freedom of speech thing right.

senahorse

By roughly $7000. The FHOG is why house prices are so high to begin with.

Yes maybe $7000 more expensive but what I am saying is that a house for say $500K with a $7000 FHOG is more easily achievable than a $493K house without.

edit: I am actually surprised he didn't get rid of stamp duty concessions in the same breath

legend166

Yes maybe $7000 more expensive but what I am saying is that a house for say $500K with a $7000 FHOG is more easily achievable than a $493K house without.

I think what Fred is saying is that at the end of the day you'd save more money by getting a $493k house + 7k personal loan, than a $500k house with the FHOG.

Fredescu

Yes maybe $7000 more expensive
The 7k effect is short term. Long term it has seen prices escalate across the board at all levels.

but what I am saying is that a house for say $500K with a $7000 FHOG is more easily achievable than a $493K house without.
Over 30 years that extra $7k on your loan can cost you an extra $20k total. If you need the money, you're much better off getting a five year personal loan for $7k at 10%, which will only cost you an extra $2k.

Basically the FHOG is terrible. Good on Newman for trashing it, although he probably did it for the wrong reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom