• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 7 - We hang out IRL now and be social and shit. (Also, Adrian's Revenge)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ventron

serious question ventron and i don't mean it in a sledging manner

what does it feel like living in a place where anyone walking down the street can carry a gun?

I am not trying to be facetious or stupid about it, i really do wonder what its like?

I never thought about it. I've never seen anyone carry a gun, and reports of shootings are no more common than they were in, say, Melbourne.

Choc

Banned
hmm ok. That spate of shootings recently couldn't have helped though.

I agree that shootings are rife in Sydney and Melbourne, but generally they are targeted rather then random.

Salazar

Quiggin echoes Choccers, with added punctuation

Queensland Treasurer Tim Nicholls has just brought down his first budget, following the announcement by Premier Campbell Newman of massive public service job cuts justified by apocalyptic rhetoric. Yet apart from those job cuts, the budget (in combination with measures announced previously) doesn’t show much in the way of fiscal discipline. Among the most glaring examples

* An $80 handout to all households, with no targeting, nominally to offset water bills
* A previously announced freeze on electricity prices for households, paid for out of general revenue
* The replacement of the $7000 first home buyers grant with a $15 000 grant for buyers of new homes
* Handouts to tourism, racing and other sectors

Measures like this are par for the course for state budgets, but not what you’d expect from a government faced with a fiscal crisis, comparable to Greece or Spain.

The government has fiddled at the edges on revenue, but is doing nothing (or even adding to the distortionary concessions) on payroll tax and land tax.

In essence, the government is relying almost entirely on cuts to the public service, focused on the health sector. This is a high-risk strategy to put it mildly. It may well be that the health bureaucracy is bloated and inefficient, but that doesn’t mean that creating a new layer of regional management is going to improve things, especially when their first task is to implement arbitary cuts in the number of nurses and other employees. Campbell Newman says his promise that “frontline jobs are safe” now means “frontline services won’t be affected by job cuts” but this is just wishful thinking. There hasn’t been any analysis of how to improve efficiency, just an edict that numbers need to be cut.

In these circumstances, it’s virtually inevitable that waiting lists will blow out. And inevitably, when you have long waiting lists, people will die waiting. At that point, the question will be whether the government can hold its nerve and admit that it was lying about the frontline services, or whether we’ll see expensive panic measures to fix the problem.

Need help justifying donuts as a desert to follow Chili Con Carne tonight.

Please take up my cause!

How is Starbucks in Seattle? Also are all the local bands grunge, because that would be awesome.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Jesus christ politics are boring. Go make another thread lol.

Danoss/clipper, I can't rememeber which one, but one of you bought the game of thrones game correct??
Thoughts/ reviews? I got it for my step dad earlier this year but he hasn't played it yet, I'm going home this weekend so we're gonna play with my mum as a 3rd. Any tips? I hear it is complicatedesque.

Rezbit

It is like Bold & Beautiful but for dudes. So much fun. The Rock was the pinnacle though. Just cheesy, silly fun.

Oh also maybe the dudebro equivalent of opera.

Haven't watched in years, but as a teenager many lols were had during the Attitude era. I loved it. It was funny more than anything.

bomer

incompatible with nexus 7 .....guess its for da smartphones >_>

Doy :( It was built and tested on a Nexus 7, I however was not allowed to do the final compile and release on store as that was managed by the ABC. We will jump on it tomorrow morning ASAP though. Thanks for letting us know!

Dead Man

serious question ventron and i don't mean it in a sledging manner

what does it feel like living in a place where anyone walking down the street can carry a gun?

I am not trying to be facetious or stupid about it, i really do wonder what its like?
It's just like any other street man, it's not fucking Afghanistan.
Michael Pascoe 'QLD Government bigger threat to mining industry then Federal Government'

http://www.smh.com.au/business/mining-and-resources/shock-royalty-gouge-on-coal-20120911-25px6.html

miners would have been better off with the original resources rent tax that they vehemently opposed;
LOLLOLOLOLOLOLOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
LNP ideaology

NO EDUCATION FOR ANYONE

oh shit the economies fucked? YES BECAUSE YOU DICKHEADS CUT EDUCATION and so there is no skilled workers.
I don't know how education and health became the easiest things for Australian pollies to cut, they are the most important things a governments provides except infrastructure.

Shit, 3 chocposts quoted, I feel bad.

Stackboy

So I thiiiiiiiiiink I still have a job. Got friends in Dept of Main Roads that are out of jobs. Sounds like Health got bludgeoned in the side of the head.

Salazar

Sounds like Health got bludgeoned in the side of the head.

Storm is coming.

There's no fucken way you scare the pants off regional health administrators, tell them in a general diktat to cut staff/costs/corners, and get away without a lot of shit going very badly wrong.

Oh, and strikes.

Damn you mobile gaf =/ Stupid.... geh.... ergh... Spend 15 minutes typing out a thing, missing half the keys because coffee gives me the shakes, and then the submit button wouldn't even work. ARGHHHHHH.

Coffee is scary :s It kind of has the same effect on my body as alcohol, but with more shaking and no psychological effects. IE I can't focus on anything but I still feel sober in my mind. Its like being trapped inside my own body D: Should probably stop buying ice breaks before class, I'm worried I look strung out or something.

Brain can't focus enough to give a proper response to our jerky jerk premier, so I will just say this. JEERRRRRKK.

Storm is coming.

There's no fucken way you scare the pants off regional health administrators, tell them in a general diktat to cut staff/costs/corners, and get away without a lot of shit going very badly wrong.

Oh, and strikes.

I don't know about other regional hospitals but ours is already understaffed (illegally so). We have threatened to strike and provided evidence many times to the government and unions that the conditions are unsafe and nothing happens. Our hospital came pretty close to closing down in fact (because staff were going to quit en mass). They won't give a fuck until it blows up in their faces.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom