• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 7 - We hang out IRL now and be social and shit. (Also, Adrian's Revenge)

Status
Not open for further replies.

midonnay

thats because they believe its theirs and don't want to share (despite the states being beholden to the federal government for funding)

Damn you mobile gaf =/ Stupid.... geh.... ergh... Spend 15 minutes typing out a thing, missing half the keys because coffee gives me the shakes, and then the submit button wouldn't even work. ARGHHHHHH.

Coffee is scary :s It kind of has the same effect on my body as alcohol, but with more shaking and no psychological effects. IE I can't focus on anything but I still feel sober in my mind. Its like being trapped inside my own body D: Should probably stop buying ice breaks before class, I'm worried I look strung out or something.

Brain can't focus enough to give a proper response to our jerky jerk premier, so I will just say this. JEERRRRRKK.
Today I went back on my caffeine diet after bingeing the last 2 months due to organising the wedding, moving house, a redundancy and a resignation at work, along with the usual lack of sleep. Turns me into a creature of habit though, takes the joy and creativity out if life so back onto hot Milo I go!

Will still have a variety of cola with my scotch though :)

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
so i've watched nearly 4 seasons of breaking bad in the last week.

here's my review: anyone who ranks this REALLY REALLY HIGHLY (zomg my top 10 shows of all time) has not seen the wire.

Frawdder

here's my review: anyone who ranks this REALLY REALLY HIGHLY (zomg my top 10 shows of all time) has not seen the wire.
Breaking Bad is in my top 10 shows of all time and I've also seen The Wire.

Your argument is flawed.

markot

Banned

Considering you probably put 'watching someone play sc2' in your top 10...

Clipper

Jesus christ politics are boring. Go make another thread lol.

Danoss/clipper, I can't rememeber which one, but one of you bought the game of thrones game correct??
Thoughts/ reviews? I got it for my step dad earlier this year but he hasn't played it yet, I'm going home this weekend so we're gonna play with my mum as a 3rd. Any tips? I hear it is complicatedesque.

Yeah, it was me. It will take about an hour to explain the rules (provided one of you has read them in advance) and several hours for you to play your first game, so make sure you are all ready for that. The game is a tad unbalanced with less than 6 players, but you should be fine as nobody will know what the advantages are, so you should have fun. I've only played the game twice, both with 4 players, and had a lot of fun both times.

Provided you have the time, and you are close enough that you won't get angry at each other when you start stabbing each other in the back (and you will start stabbing) you should really enjoy it.

Dead Man

New AusGAF entrance exam:

DZbz.png

Darklord

Banned
What's the law about paying overtime in Australia? Today my work(a big corporation no less) made me sign off on different shifts saying I agree to only be paid till 10pm on a whole lot of days that I worked over that. Their reason is unless a manager personally asks me and I write it down with that managers name then they refuse to pay me more. The thing is they get shitty if I don't finish the work and if it takes 15 or 20 minutes more then I gotta do it. I thought that stuff was illegal?

Is that all your money down the drain then? :( why cant itunes just convert it over to canadian itunes?
I've been having problems with them as well. Often it won't connect, and half the music I bought with them either won't download or has disappeared entirely. There's no "download songs button " that I cab find... there really is something to be said for CDs, but when you just want a single song most avenues are a big pain.

He got it working. The money didn't matter, I just wanted to make him a bit happy in a rough time. Rather than getting it off his phone he used the computer and made a US account. So things worked out. :)

Choc

Banned
What's the law about paying overtime in Australia? Today my work(a big corporation no less) made me sign a thing saying I agree to only be paid till 10pm on a whole lot of days that I worked over that. Their reason is unless a manager personally asks me and I write it down with that managers name then they refuse to pay me and I have to sign saying I agree to the 10pm time. The thing is they get shitty if I don't finish the work and if it takes 15 or 20 minutes more then I gotta do it. I thought that stuff was illegal?

He got it working. The money didn't matter, I just wanted to make him a bit happy in a rough time. Rather than getting it off his phone he used the computer and made a US account. So things worked out. :)

The only thing illegal in that scenario is if you worked the period of time without them telling you that you wouldn't be paid for it. If you worked under those conditions then you must be paid.

They can however have a contract that says that in the future work after 10pm will not be paid unless its approved by a manager etc.

Time for some top 10 TV lists! Mine will undoubtedly have The Wire and Breaking Bad. Might have to think on the rest... Probably see inclusions by Arrested Development, Firefly, Louie, Seinfeld. Maybe Party Down and Curb Your Enthusiasm will make it in, too! Stay tuned!

A pizza place tried to pull that shit on us too Darklord until we told them they would have to hire a whole new crew if they wanted to implement it. Union up man!

What's the law about paying overtime in Australia? Today my work(a big corporation no less) made me sign off on different shifts saying I agree to only be paid till 10pm on a whole lot of days that I worked over that. Their reason is unless a manager personally asks me and I write it down with that managers name then they refuse to pay me more. The thing is they get shitty if I don't finish the work and if it takes 15 or 20 minutes more then I gotta do it. I thought that stuff was illegal?

I'm pretty sure if you are working you gotta be paid for it.

Yagharek

If you dont get paid after 10, dont work after 10. Simple. And if they want to know why its not done, then they need to know how much time you would have needed.

Darklord

Banned
The only thing illegal in that scenario is if you worked the period of time without them telling you that you wouldn't be paid for it. If you worked under those conditions then you must be paid.

They can however have a contract that says that in the future work after 10pm will not be paid unless its approved by a manager etc.

Well I technically could just walk out at 10pm but then managers would get pissed off for me not finishing and cleaning up. And in that case there excuse is to work faster. They want me to finish AND sign off on time but it's not possible. Especially if someone is sick that day. I actually never knew or was told to my memory. There is an adjustment sheet but according to them even if I sign that they can still refuse, a manager has to agree and sign off on it. I know a couple of the managers would sign off on anything for me but other ones like the big ones I'm not sure about.

It just seems weird they need my signature to agree to not be paid over. Like, what if I refused?

Gazunta

Not like I watch much TV these days, but

Simpsons (screw the haters)
LOST
Roger Ramjet, Danger Mouse, Bananaman equal three way tie for awesomeness
Kingswood Country (SCREW THE HATERS)
Buffy
Monty Python
The Late Show
Pizza
You Can't Do That On Television
Fat Albert

...I don't really like dramas.

Shit, Kenny Everett. That has to go on there somewhere. Damn show changed me in ways I dare not speak.

Well I technically could just walk out at 10pm but then managers would get pissed off for me not finishing and cleaning up. And in that case there excuse is to work faster. They want me to finish AND sign off on time but it's not possible. Especially if someone is sick that day. I actually never knew or was told to my memory. There is an adjustment sheet but according to them even if I sign that they can still refuse, a manager has to agree and sign off on it.

My managers used to pull crap like this. Think about it, that's 20 minutes worth of work you are doing for them for free, every shift. How much money is that a year? I guess the problem is if you complain or walk off they can stop giving you work or something =/ Where I work if it takes longer they have to pay you for longer. Have you talked to them about it not being possible to finish in the time they've allocated? If so I would take it one step higher in the management chain. Or you can try refuse and see what happens.

Darklord

Banned
My managers used to pull crap like this. Think about it, that's 20 minutes worth of work you are doing for them for free, every shift. How much money is that a year? I guess the problem is if you complain or walk off they can stop giving you work or something =/ Where I work if it takes longer they have to pay you for longer. Have you talked to them about it not being possible to finish in the time they've allocated? If so I would take it one step higher in the management chain. Or you can try refuse and see what happens.

Yeah, I know. I have mentioned not being able to finish on time and they normally have the automatic answer to "be more productive". Next time they ask(being next week for tonight, 15 minutes overtime) I'll refuse and see what they say.

I would err on the side of not signing shit if you think you'll bother disputing anything

I misunderstood what I had signed until tonight. They're individual shifts that I have to sign, not as a whole. They way it was done I thought I was confirming I worked that shift. Like the computer didn't register it proper or something, that has happened several times with the shitty scanner. That's how I read it. It's only after I read it again and realized it sounded like they were cutting those extra minutes off which is when I asked.

Danoss

Yeah, I know. I have mentioned not being able to finish on time and they normally have the automatic answer to "be more productive". Next time they ask(being next week for tonight, 15 minutes overtime) I'll refuse and see what they say.

I misunderstood what I had signed until tonight. They're individual shifts that I have to sign, not as a whole. They way it was done I thought I was confirming I worked that shift. Like the computer didn't register it proper or something, that has happened several times with the shitty scanner. That's how I read it. It's only after I read it again and realized it sounded like they were cutting those extra minutes off which is when I asked.

If you're working at a normal pace and you can't finish on time, either way it's their problem. Either you clock off on time work not completed, or they pay you until the work is done. You don't work for free and they should not be asking you to. If someone is sick, how exactly is that your fault? Fuck 'em, they pay you for your time or they don't get it.

Also, I'm not sure what your time sheets say, but never sign out earlier than you finished, always have it accurate, no matter what they say. It's very important for Work Cover and making sure you're covered under it. If you have an accident outside the times you have noted, it's important that they're accurate, because insurance companies will try to pay as little as they possibly can. Look out for yourself man.

Choc

Banned
Campbell Newman just said he wants TA as PM so he can do what he did in QLD on lateline

Anyone would think the ALP is slipping CN money to fuck TA up.

lol

Choc

Banned
Well I technically could just walk out at 10pm but then managers would get pissed off for me not finishing and cleaning up. And in that case there excuse is to work faster. They want me to finish AND sign off on time but it's not possible. Especially if someone is sick that day. I actually never knew or was told to my memory. There is an adjustment sheet but according to them even if I sign that they can still refuse, a manager has to agree and sign off on it. I know a couple of the managers would sign off on anything for me but other ones like the big ones I'm not sure about.

It just seems weird they need my signature to agree to not be paid over. Like, what if I refused?

sometimes i work 80 hours in a week and i am paid for 40. I often have to go away with work and am not paid 24/7 for the time i am working. When you are away with work you are on the clock all the time as you are under HR rules.

just the way it is these days

Danoss

sometimes i work 80 hours in a week and i am paid for 40.

just the way it is these days

Depends what you negotiated in your contract. If you're on a salary that is inflexible in that regard because it's expected of you, then yes, that's the way it is.

Choc

Banned
Depends what you negotiated in your contract. If you're on a salary that is inflexible in that regard because it's expected of you, then yes, that's the way it is.

salary jobs is the way it is dan, you can't negotiate on this. You are paid for the work output rather than hours in salaried positions. You can negotiate money but its hard to negotiate conditions because they can't individualise conditions in the workforce of salaried people else it would get nuts (aside from 4 day weeks etc if you want to go down that path)

of cousre yes to put that kinda work in you want to get good money else you leave.

Danoss

You can you can totally have a salary based on hours worked. It was like that when I worked in insurance years ago, there was a base salary and you could earn more depending on the hours and which shift you worked.

Choc

Banned
You can you can totally have a salary based on hours worked. It was like that when I worked in insurance years ago, there was a base salary and you could earn more depending on the hours and which shift you worked.

because you worked in finance (yes insurance is part of finance industry) and finance has a union. When you are in a union based industry, you are protected from a lot of the shit employers pull these days

majority of new age jobs such as IT, marketing etc do not have unions. However those employees in those areas in traditional industries (finance, construction, manufacturing, retail and hospitality) are covered by a union.

Finance is different in many regards. For example, bonuses that are crazy generally at the medium tier of management.

Danoss

It's the way it should be. Companies make a shit-tonne of money, and then turn around and be as stingy as possible to the employees that earn them that money. I somewhat understand the responsibility to shareholders as well as utter greed, but goddamn it's terrible.

Choc

Banned
It's the way it should be. Companies make a shit-tonne of money, and then turn around and be as stingy as possible to the employees that earn them that money. I somewhat understand the responsibility to shareholders as well as utter greed, but goddamn it's terrible.

Shareholders.

All anyone cares about these days. Shareholders have no heart and no ethics generally. They are all generally pricks that don't care how employees are treated as long as they get their dividend

this world is going to destroy itself over finance and start again eventually. This treatment of humans is unsustainable.

it's also the major reason why that trade unions are HATED by those who are not in them. They are generally just jelly. Although some trade unions like the CFMEU are fucking idiots.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom