• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 7 - We hang out IRL now and be social and shit. (Also, Adrian's Revenge)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Choc

Banned
Latika Bourke ‏@latikambourke
R18+ classification for computer games will start 1 January 2013 with everything now ticked off.
Retweeted by Matt W
Expand
Reply Retweeted Favorite

FUCK YEAH

edit: she fucked up >_<

guidelines official as of jan 1st

Jintor

imma stop you right there choc

Latika Bourke &#8207;@latikambourke
Oh no sorry, I made a big mistake. It's the GUIDELINES not classification itself coming into effect in the NY. A thousand apologies.

R18+ classification for computer games will start 1 January 2013 with everything now ticked off.
Retweeted by Matt W

FUCK YEAH

imma stop you right there choc

Oh no sorry, I made a big mistake. It's the GUIDELINES not classification itself coming into effect in the NY. A thousand apologies.

Latkia Bourke said:
Okay, double checked with the Minister's office - they says states will pass it by 2013 so R18+ WILL be in effect Jan 1, 2013.

As long as the states come to the party all good

Also blame Matt W :)

September 13, dawn of the last day.

NCL Direct at 5PM
NCL Direct II: Electric Boogaloo/NoE Direct/That NoA Thing at Midnight

pbHsr.gif

jambo

jambo yes i agree that its 0.01%

but the fact that tech people are waking up to apple being shit is good

Tech people were the first ones to buy Android =/

I love my Galaxy S2 but my decision will be based solely on the phone that is available to me at the time in regards to price/value. I don't really use all the cool open source stuff. Best thing for me is Twitter, Camera & drop and drag Music. The 920 looks to hit all those marks pretty well and could be integrated into the PC and 360 well enough to entice me to use other features. Would need an awesome Nexus or Galaxy this time next year to keep me away from WinPhone.

The main issue I've had with my iPhone 4 lately is that iTunes doesn't seem to update it properly. I've had countless times where I've deleted at added music to my Library, then plugged the phone in to my car and it's had either none of the new songs or only some of them. On top of that, new songs that I've added will often be missing tagging info so they aren't grouped in to albums and are all listed at the bottom of the Songs section.

With Android I can just drag and drop and then choose the music app of my choice. My worry with the Lumia 920 is that because it is WP8 and uses Zune I may run in to similar issues.

With Android I can just drag and drop and then choose the music app of my choice. My worry with the Lumia 920 is that because it is WP8 and uses Zune I may run in to similar issues.
Yeah the fact that I can grab a USB cable where ever I am, plug it into the computer to both charge AND just open it up like a USB stick is a huge positive for me. Also makes it easy transferring photos and video off of it.

i am confused but okay
I have zero understanding of law and such but I thought it meant that the states still have to go the new classification system the thumbs up so that the games with R18 can be sold in their state. Probably wrong though.

jambo

Yeah the fact that I can grab a USB cable where ever I am, plug it into the computer to both charge AND just open it up like a USB stick is a huge positive for me. Also makes it easy transferring photos and video off of it.

I was playing around with my old Galaxy Tab last night (setting it up for my gf) and it was so easy to chuck a whole new OS build on it, then some apps and whatever music and videos I wanted.

Choc

Banned
front page of Nikkei times on Friday will be Wii U or Iphone 5?

This is a BIG FUCKING THING. I predict Wii U due to patriotism.

Choc

Banned
RC guideline

RC &#61485; REFUSED CLASSIFICATION
Note: Computer games that exceed the R 18+ classification category will be Refused
Classification.
Computer games will be refused classification if they include or contain any of the following:
CRIME OR VIOLENCE
Detailed instruction or promotion in matters of crime or violence.
The promotion or provision of instruction in paedophile activity.
Descriptions or depictions of child sexual abuse or any other exploitative or offensive
descriptions or depictions involving a person who is, or appears to be, a child under 18 years.
Depictions of:
(i) violence with a very high degree of impact which are excessively frequent,
prolonged, detailed or repetitive;
(ii) cruelty or realistic violence which are very detailed and which have a very high
impact;
(iii) actual sexual violence.
Implied sexual violence related to incentives and rewards.
SEX
Depictions of actual sexual activity are not permitted.
Depictions of simulated sexual activity that are explicit and realistic are not permitted.
Depictions of practices such as bestiality.
Gratuitous, exploitative or offensive depictions of:
(i) activity accompanied by fetishes or practices which are offensive or abhorrent;
(ii) incest fantasies or other fantasies which are offensive or abhorrent.
DRUG USE
Detailed instruction in the use of proscribed drugs.
Material promoting or encouraging proscribed drug use.
Computer games will also be Refused Classification if they contain:
(i) illicit or proscribed drug use related to incentives or rewards;
(ii) interactive drug use which is detailed and realistic.
Note: Some of the terms used in this category are defined in the List of Terms at the end of
these Guidelines.

Jintor

Those guidelines seem fairly reasonable

"High degree of impact" is an interesting wording choice though. I think if it's of old though.

Danoss

There seems to be a noticeable difference between those guidelines and what we see in R18+ movies. They're being a bit conservative there.

senahorse

There seems to be a noticeable difference between those guidelines and what we see in R18+ movies. They're being a bit conservative there.

That was my thought when reading it.

R 18+ - RESTRICTED
Impact test

The impact of material classified R 18+ should not exceed high.

Note: This classification category applies only to films. Material classified R 18+ is legally restricted to adults. Some material classified R 18+ may be offensive to sections of the adult community.

Classifiable elements

THEMES
There are virtually no restrictions on the treatment of themes.

VIOLENCE
Violence is permitted.

Sexual violence may be implied, if justified by context.

SEX
Sexual activity may be realistically simulated. The general rule is
“simulation, yes – the real thing, no”.

LANGUAGE
There are virtually no restrictions on language.

DRUG USE
Drug use is permitted.

NUDITY
Nudity is permitted.

markot

Banned
I expect it flows from the 'interactivity' argument
Have there been studies on that?

It'll be interesting to see what happens when the people you are blowing away in the next cod are more realistic, maybe a move to even stricter standards?!

Danoss

I expect it flows from the 'interactivity' argument

Whilst this is likely true, the funny thing is that the brain doesn't care. That may sound weird, so I'll briefly say why.

When you see something on TV, your brain believes it is participating in it. That's why you can feel emotions while watching things, sure the music gives you that extra nudge, but your brain doesn't think it's just watching it, it thinks it's a part of what's happening.

It doesn't matter that we know, on a conscious level, that this isn't true; deep down our brain thinks otherwise. I think that "interactivity" argument doesn't mean a whole lot and is a cop out. Moving a joystick to move your characters head to snort cocaine, knowing this, isn't very different from seeing it presented in a film.

markot

Banned
Whilst this is likely true, the funny thing is that the brain doesn't care. That may sound weird, so I'll briefly say why.

When you see something on TV, your brain believes it is participating in it. That's why you can feel emotions while watching things, sure the music gives you that extra nudge, but your brain doesn't think it's just watching it, it thinks it's a part of what's happening.

It doesn't matter that we know, on a conscious level, that this isn't true; deep down our brain thinks otherwise. I think that "interactivity" argument doesn't mean a whole lot and is a cop out. Moving a joystick to move your characters head to snort cocaine, knowing this, isn't very different from seeing it presented in a film.
So ,watching something like saw would be no different to 'actively' playing the role of the sawer? I 'think' it would be different, but that's just a gut feeling.

There is a 'conscious' decision made in a game to trigger the event, while a movie is like a rollercoaster, a passive experience.

So ,watching something like saw would be no different to 'actively' playing the role of the sawer?
There was something that went around a while ago that specifically tied the "feel that you're doing what you're watching" experience directly to sports fans, which goes some way to explaining why many are so engaged with sports.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
I'm not being cryptic, I'm going to die having to try and cover THREE Nintendo conferences at once.

I don't know anything.

Which is also why I feel much more connected to a movie or show when watching it on TV rather than a digital copy, since my brain knows I can pause it so it isn't really a determined experience. When something I'd on TV I know it will run to its conclusion irrespective of my watching it, while the copy on my PC or DVD is dependant on me giving it life to exist.

Also why videogames are a great engaging medium, easy to see the disconnection with reality as long as the mind is developed enough to know it is a bunch of ones and zeroes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom