• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 7 - We hang out IRL now and be social and shit. (Also, Adrian's Revenge)

Status
Not open for further replies.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
It'll be $399, same as the Wii.

Anyone expecting some sort of sub $300 price is kidding themselves. The XL is $250.

Yagharek

Australia details prediction:
$399
December 1-10 (somewhere in there)
Gamepads $99

apart from games being confirmed for launch day/window, I'm guessing on at least one new game announcement. Either Wii U Sports or Retro's game.

Danoss

Which is also why I feel much more connected to a movie or show when watching it on TV rather than a digital copy, since my brain knows I can pause it so it isn't really a determined experience. When something I'd on TV I know it will run to its conclusion irrespective of my watching it, while the copy on my PC or DVD is dependant on me giving it life to exist.

Also why videogames are a great engaging medium, easy to see the disconnection with reality as long as the mind is developed enough to know it is a bunch of ones and zeroes.

While I agree with you, that's all on a conscious level. The root of the emotions and whatnot go far deeper than that.

jambo

o1y6X.gif

Cool, a gif of the iPhone 5 Press Conference.

jambo

In all honesty I've never been less excited for a Nintendo console launch.

I think they went too early. They showed off almost everything 18 months before they even released a price point or release date. Plus the reveal was poorly planned and poorly received. People had no idea if it was a new console, an add-on for the Wii or what.

Fredescu

All these lesser announcements of crappy phones and boring platforms are just leading up to the grand finale, the Obsidian kickstarter announcement.

Choc

Banned
just gonna spam my tweets on R18 here cbf retyping

Choc ‏@noreasonspec
@dangolding @Serrels They will never pass a law in Australia allowing legitimate drug use in interactive games. It just won't happen.

@dangolding @Serrels what R18 does do is allows the Classification Board to look beyond the 'impact of children' statement they once had 1/2
Expand
Reply Delete Favorit

Choc ‏@noreasonspec
In the past they had to always asess impact of children. They no longer need to consider it, or at least not as much.

Choc ‏@noreasonspec
So for example I personally believe that under this new law, Syndicate would not be banned and would receive R18+. Same with L4D2

Choc ‏@noreasonspec
NFL Blitz would still be banned due to the drug use for example. Which yes is wrong but it will never change.

@Serrels @dangolding its going to be a lot easier for the COB to allow a game through under R18 and say 'a kid shouldn't be buying it anyway

@Serrels @dangolding and with R18 there is actually legally enforceable jail sentences and fines to backup the classification. MA = no

Choc ‏@noreasonspec
so because there is legally enforceable major punishment for R18 sales, its easier to say its a restricted product and is allowed

Choc ‏@noreasonspec
What we need to look at is the history of classification and how the COB moulded it over time. In 2000, nudity = ban right away 1/2

Choc ‏@noreasonspec
in 2010 nudity was not a ban, and so because of this the COB can mould the guidelines how they see fit. They still have a lot more power.

Choc ‏@noreasonspec
not defending the stupidity of this, but it is an improvement on what we had. It needs further improvement, but it will take time.

Fredescu

Had my home PC hooked up to the internet for the first time in over a month yesterday. Log onto Steam and see all these changes, Greenlight, community revamp, pre order bonuses, Dark Souls is out, Darksiders 2 is out.

Torchlight 2? Still 'coming soon' :lol

Choc

Banned
Had my home PC hooked up to the internet for the first time in over a month yesterday. Log onto Steam and see all these changes, Greenlight, community revamp, pre order bonuses, Dark Souls is out, Darksiders 2 is out.

Torchlight 2? Still 'coming soon' :lol

big tv mode

Choc

Banned
List of games banned in AU and my thoughts under the new law if that game would be banned.

50 Cent: Bulletproof - No
Blitz: The League - Yes
BMX XXX - No

Dark Sector - No
Dreamweb -Yes

The Getaway - No (a scene was removed worldwide after the AU original ban)

Left 4 Dead 2- no
Leisure Suit Larry: Magna Cum Laude - 50/50 likely yes

Marc Ecko's Getting Up: Contents Under Pressure - No

Manhunt - No

Mortal Kombat - Yes

NARC (2005 game)- Yes
NecroVisioN - No
Postal - 50/50
Postal 2 - No
Phantasmagoria - 50/50
Reservoir Dogs - No
Risen - Yes
Shellshock 2: Blood Trails - NO
Silent Hill: Homecoming - No
Singles: Flirt Up Your Life - Yes
Soldier of Fortune: Payback - No
Syndicate - No
The Witcher 2 - 50/50

Fredescu

ALPHA PROTOCOL 2
Doubt it. I think Sega still owns the IP. In newspaper headline speak, JE Sawyer REFUSES TO DENY, that it's a PC exclusive hard core RPG. Something like that would have to be self funded, and fits the broad description of Avellone's Kickstarter suggestions. So it's either their Kickstarter, or the Wheel of Time game got off the ground and is ready to announce.

Two more days!

jambo

List of games banned in AU and my thoughts under the new law if that game would be banned.

Do they have to submit them in a slightly altered fashion to get reviewed? I remember reading something about that in the legislation.

Choc

Banned
Do they have to submit them in a slightly altered fashion to get reviewed? I remember reading something about that in the legislation.

they won't get them reviewed. My point was if the law was in place when these games came up for classification, whether they would have been banned still.

Danoss

If I jumped the queue I'll be happy to wait!

I mean, Shaneus had been asking people to buy his last spot of the 4-pack for ages. Now legend comes along and has sold out his, whilst Shaneus is still left holding his dick in his hand.

Edit: Thought I'd try the Steam Big Picture mode. They still have some work to do if it's to suit me. I have 3 displays hooked up to my PC, two monitors and an HDTV. I can already play on the monitors without Big Picture mode, since I need to be in front of the PC anyway. But there is no option to push it to a preferred display, like my HDTV. No doubt there is more to it than that, because the game has to be pushed to the right display also. It'd be nice though

Dead Man

RC guideline

RC  REFUSED CLASSIFICATION
Note: Computer games that exceed the R 18+ classification category will be Refused
Classification.
Computer games will be refused classification if they include or contain any of the following:
CRIME OR VIOLENCE
Detailed instruction or promotion in matters of crime or violence.
The promotion or provision of instruction in paedophile activity.
Descriptions or depictions of child sexual abuse or any other exploitative or offensive
descriptions or depictions involving a person who is, or appears to be, a child under 18 years.

Depictions of:
(i) violence with a very high degree of impact which are excessively frequent,
prolonged, detailed or repetitive;
(ii) cruelty or realistic violence which are very detailed and which have a very high
impact;
(iii) actual sexual violence.
Implied sexual violence related to incentives and rewards.
SEX
Depictions of actual sexual activity are not permitted.
Depictions of simulated sexual activity that are explicit and realistic are not permitted.
Depictions of practices such as bestiality.
Gratuitous, exploitative or offensive depictions of:
(i) activity accompanied by fetishes or practices which are offensive or abhorrent;
(ii) incest fantasies or other fantasies which are offensive or abhorrent.
DRUG USE
Detailed instruction in the use of proscribed drugs.
Material promoting or encouraging proscribed drug use.
Computer games will also be Refused Classification if they contain:
(i) illicit or proscribed drug use related to incentives or rewards;
(ii) interactive drug use which is detailed and realistic.
Note: Some of the terms used in this category are defined in the List of Terms at the end of
these Guidelines.

Pretty fucking underwhelming. The first part I bolded sounds fine about the sexual abuse, but not even being able to describe child exploitation is pathetic.

Interesting that if you follow the [CRIME OR VIOLENCE] descriptions or depictions involving a person who is, or appears to be, a child under 18 years line by the letter of the law, that could mean even a street rat style kid who steals and is subsequently beaten could earn you an RC, yes?

Choc

Banned
Interesting that if you follow the [CRIME OR VIOLENCE] descriptions or depictions involving a person who is, or appears to be, a child under 18 years line by the letter of the law, that could mean even a street rat style kid who steals and is subsequently beaten could earn you an RC, yes?

yes but the classification censors are not boneheaded morons. They would realise that is stupid

yes but the classification censors are not boneheaded morons. They would realise that is stupid
Says you. What if the ACL or some such group lobbies against something like GTA which allows kids to be run over (I know GTA specifically doesn't usually have kids)?

Danoss

Not that I want sexual violence in any of my games, but the "I Spit on Your Grave" movie saw release in this country. I haven't seen it, nor am I interested, but I know what it consists of. A third of the film consists of an extremely long (~30 mins) scene of sexual violence of the worst kind.

Now, if this was even a cutscene in a video game, it would be refused classification within the blink of an eye. If this point was raised, I can already hear the "but the kids could get a hold of it" excuse, because no person under 18 could ever get their hands on a DVD or pirate copy of the movie I just mentioned.

Choc

Banned
if the board followed the classification rules to the letter right now 80% of games would be banned

this is why the classification act has 'societal expectations of the day' implied in the law throughout. Based on what is acceptable to society in the day and age the classification is occuring, is what the board works with

and in that explotation section it is specfically referencing child sex exploitation which should be a ban imo.

in the year 2000, as soon as a girl had her kit off in a game it was banned. In 2010 that was no longer the case. The board moulds the rules around the expectations of they day. MA15+ is a far wider ranging classification than it once was. THe same will happen with R over the next decade.

Choc

Banned
Are these the same people that greenlit L4D and then banned L4D2?

it was never greenlit, it was banned and banned on review. Under these new guidelines they would have no justification at all to ban L4D2

The reason L4D2 was banned was that kids could get it. That argument is greatly diminished by R18 having legally enforceable laws that can put retailers in jail and also big fines if they sell R18 product to a minor.

This is the key difference. R18 product is strictly controlled in Australia and there is significant fines for retailers and civilians who give R18 product to minors. It's on the same level as cig's and booze.

Ma15+ never had this so the board ALWAYS had to consider a 10 year old getting hold of the game.

Dead Man

if the board followed the classification rules to the letter right now 80% of games would be banned

this is why the classification act has 'societal expectations of the day' implied in the law throughout. Based on what is acceptable to society in the day and age the classification is occuring, is what the board works with

and in that explotation section it is specfically referencing child sex exploitation which should be a ban imo.

in the year 2000, as soon as a girl had her kit off in a game it was banned. In 2010 that was no longer the case. The board moulds the rules around the expectations of they day. MA15+ is a far wider ranging classification than it once was. THe same will happen with R over the next decade.

Then say child sexual exploitation not all the other shit that the actual wording encompasses. This seems pretty blatantly an attempt to have their cake and eat it to. They still want to be able to ban all the same stuff, they will just be able to point to an r18 rating now. The drug rules are ridiculous too, I mean accurate depictions of painkillers are banned.

Choc

Banned
they are not. max Payne 3 has painkillers

you gain life by eating painkillers

its if they go and put

HEY THIS IS PANADOL or THIS IS MARIJUANA like Risen for example.

its stupid yes but to say all drugs are out is wrong.

Choc

Banned
Pollies are gonna get confused the platform was MA15 should be R

we get that, yet people are like WTF

the campaign probably wasn't run the right way but to approach a polly and say I WANT MORE VIOLENCE

just wouldnt work

Dead Man

they are not. max Payne 3 has painkillers

you gain life by eating painkillers

its if they go and put

HEY THIS IS PANADOL or THIS IS MARIJUANA like Risen for example.

its stupid yes but to say all drugs are out is wrong.

Hence my statement of accurate. Panadol is banned. Think about that.

Choc

Banned
i doubt panadol is banned because its not illegal and not controlled

morphine was banned because its a highly restricted and controlled drug. I have a letter from the hospital which permits me to have Endone in my household which if the cops see Endone and i don't have that letter, i can be arrested for possession of a controlled substance.

senahorse

it was never greenlit, it was banned and banned on review. Under these new guidelines they would have no justification at all to ban L4D2

The reason L4D2 was banned was that kids could get it. That argument is greatly diminished by R18 having legally enforceable laws that can put retailers in jail and also big fines if they sell R18 product to a minor.

This is the key difference. R18 product is strictly controlled in Australia and there is significant fines for retailers and civilians who give R18 product to minors. It's on the same level as cig's and booze.

Ma15+ never had this so the board ALWAYS had to consider a 10 year old getting hold of the game.

Reading fail, L4D was greenlit. Besides that, a better example would be Dead Island, I am sure I can find many more that illustrate my point that the censorship board are not very consistent and it's probably not safe to assume that they will start getting things right.

Dead Man

i doubt panadol is banned because its not illegal and not controlled

morphine was banned because its a highly restricted and controlled drug. I have a letter from the hospital which permits me to have Endone in my household which if the cops see Endone and i don't have that letter, i can be arrested for possession of a controlled substance.

I'm going by the wording they use. Panadol could be banned. The wording is so ridiculously broad that it may as well not exist. More games may get classified, but it will not be because of inherent protection in the law.

Salazar

Grubby little bastard's days are numbered surely.

It's amazing.

This will be the most gaffe-prone government in Australian political history.

There's no room for doubt. Stevens, Springborg, Seeney, Nicholls, Campbell, Flegg, Langbroek. They're a dream-team of hick imbeciles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom