• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 7 - We hang out IRL now and be social and shit. (Also, Adrian's Revenge)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jintor

Open the Australian today to article about how gay marriage encourages little children to be gay. Specific reference to how hypocritical this is because we don't encourage smoking, which reduces your lifespan, but the 'lefties' are all for encouraging children to become gay, which obviously gives you a shorten lifespan because of HIV and stuff. Flip to article about how atheists are missing out on a 'sense of wonder and awe at the world'.

Oh Australian, never change.

Please. Australian. Change.

Salazar

Victorian writer and comedian Catherine Deveny was visited by the police yesterday after Queensland Premier Campbell Newman made a complaint about her tweets.
On her blog, Deveny claimed Victorian police from a criminal investigation unit came to her home while only her teenage son was at home and left a card with a number for Deveny to call.

Deveny was then directed to Queensland Police, who told her Mr Newman had made a complaint about tweets in which she wrote "You want I kill him?" during a Twitter conversation.

:lol

Wasting police time across state borders.

Doesn't matter, I talked to my manager about it and she said it was just a suggestion from higher ups, doesn't matter if I don't take it.

Also GMG send out my Borderlands 2 key. Yay!

Ooo nice. Didn't expect them to send the codes out early. Just checked my account and they haven't released mine yet. Hopefully get it soon so I can start the pre-load.

Yagharek

I'm going to play the poor victimised nintendo fan for a moment.

Bayonetta 2 gets announced, then everyone falls over themselves to port-beg, feign disinterest, cry foul or bargain for an 'inevitable' Sigma version.

You know what? Wii owners had to put up with six years of token support test games, comments about "no plans at this time", and the reputation that led to. Now there is an exclusive the core want and its supposed to be on 'different consoles'?

If you really want it, suck it up and buy the system.

Fredescu

At the heart of it, that's a super cynical point of view. Like awe inspiring things don't really exist, so the only way to experience awe is to make things up and pretend they exist.

Found the article. Holy. Fucking. Shit.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nat...t-yearns-for-awe/story-e6frgd0x-1226472936686

"Reason has its place, but the human heart yearns for awe."

That's gold Jerry, GOLD!!!

Google Catherine Deveny

Top of page: The Australian article
Jensen kept his dignity in the lion's den said:
The ABC should apologise for setting up Anglican archbishop Peter Jensen in a lion's den of atheists such as Catherine Deveny.

lol they aren't seriously a real newspaper are they?

Salazar

That's gold Jerry, GOLD!!!

"It is the heart which perceives God and not the reason. That is what faith is: God perceived by the heart."

This is entirely fucken meaningless. Pissant kindergarten pre-neurological science metaphors.

And construing rationality as a cleanly divisible cognitive instrument is fucken bogus in the first place.

I really do worry if this muddling fellow incorporates pure bollocks like this into his teaching. If they have seminars about heart versus reason.

Danoss

At the heart of it, that's a super cynical point of view. Like awe inspiring things don't really exist, so the only way to experience awe is to make things up and pretend they exist.

It devalues how great so many things in this world are. How wonderful things in nature are and how they are interwoven, as well as how many great things Man has accomplished.

It's ridiculous to look at amazing works of art, some that took many years to create, and say "isn't God awesome?" Right, it certainly wasn't a culmination of Mans accomplishments up to that point that aided something brilliant to come out of the mind of a human being and impress others with its beauty, its ability to evoke emotions, and inspire awe in others. Nope, all God.

Choc

Banned
Prof Clive Palmer ‏@CliveFPalmer
In response to today's statement from @LNPQLD, I will be considering my membership of the party over the weekend

Jintor

The idea that really simple rules can interact in ridiculously complex interactions to produce the universe is amazing.

Fredescu

It devalues how great so many things in this world are. How wonderful things in nature are and how they are interwoven, as well as how many great things Man has accomplished.

It's ridiculous to look at amazing works of art, some that took many years to create, and say "isn't God awesome?" Right, it certainly wasn't a culmination of Mans accomplishments up to that point that aided something brilliant to come out of the mind of a human being and impress others with it's beauty, it's ability to evoke emotions, and inspire awe in others. Nope, all God.

I don't even mind something having faith in a being and describing that emotion, but arguing that awe is impossible any other way is completely ignorant and cynical.

I just clicked on this on reddit and thought it was relevant:

McukZ.jpg

Salazar

Prof Clive Palmer ‏@CliveFPalmer
In response to today's statement from @LNPQLD, I will be considering my membership of the party over the weekend

Moron though he is, Palmer actually fucken understands that the "massive capital expenditure" the LNP are acting so pissed about is what the state needed, and what it will continue to need. Not a frozen-limbed terror of debt.

Yeah, I Was the same. I think I voted on the t-shirt that didn't have that (there was one of those, wasn't there?). Sucks, because who would want that on their back? Alternative is, wear a jacket over it, or google to see if there's a way of removing parts of prints on clothing. I'm sure there's a method that involves lemon juice, baking soda, bubble gum and a teatowel soaked in marmalade.
Gosh darnit! I just ate my last lemonsodabubblegumarmalade teatowel.

I can live with the front; it's a couple of characters in front of the word ADVENTURE. The back is designed to be worn at video game conventions so that other people can nerdgasm at and bask in your awesomness. Or hate you immediately, instead of taking the time to find a reason.

Outside of that setting it's just going to get questions. "What's 'BACKER!'?"

Choc

Banned
Moron though he is, Palmer actually fucken understands that the "massive capital expenditure" the LNP are acting so pissed about is what the state needed, and what it will continue to need. Not a frozen-limbed terror of debt.

i will laugh so hard if he starts funding ALP QLD

Choc

Banned
Not one single media outlet in 3 fucking events asked if the system is region locked

we know the answer, but shit, just ask it for fuck sake

Choc

Banned
implosion on gaf over fuse is amusing

but its true that EA has fucked it up and it was much better as overstrike

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
BAYONETTA 2 OMG OMG OMG OMG.

Wii U seems like totally a must-buy console at this stage for me. Two platinum games + new game by the xenoblade team? shut up and take my money etc.

Also potential zelda and 3D mario in HD is always nice.

r1chard

Really, really enjoying FTL.

Also, I might have accidentally a new job. Not signed yet. Way more exciting than the current job. Hope it's OK to say such a thing given the QLD mess...

Danoss

I can't believe you don't know! And you call yourself a hipster...

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=454724

http://www.ftlgame.com/

:)

It's such a simple gameplay idea, done so very well (though doors can be a little fiddly).

I left out 'Faster than Light' because that's obviously what it was short for. I don't call myself a hipster, and you shouldn't either...

I just don't keep up with games these days, at least ones that run on a computer.

I'm looking at picking up a board game that looks like that, called Galaxy Trucker.

PpQVO.jpg

r1chard

I left out 'Faster than Light' because that's obviously what it was short for. I don't call myself a hipster, and you shouldn't either...
I only play one on television.

I just don't keep up with games these days, at least ones that run on a computer.

I'm looking at picking up a board game that looks like that, called Galaxy Trucker
I was looking at that the other day - would be interested to hear how it goes. I don't get to try out new boardgames as often as I'd like these days.

Okay, that board game looks pretty damn cool. I like the ones like that and the Infection one with the petrie dishes, cool little stuff that goes beyond cardboard stuff.

1 GB is for the system, 1 GB is for games.
We are expecting that developers will be able to use some of that OS memory at some point right? 1GB seems like a lot when it is the same amount given to games.

Danoss

I was looking at that the other day - would be interested to hear how it goes. I don't get to try out new boardgames as often as I'd like these days.

Okay, that board game looks pretty damn cool. I like the ones like that and the Infection one with the petrie dishes, cool little stuff that goes beyond cardboard stuff.

All reports say it's amazing and hilarious (it's made by Vlaada Chvatil, all you need to know is "buy anything he makes"). I'll be sure to post about it when I get my hands on it.

I have Space Alert by him also, and I'll bust that out the first chance I get. I'll be sure to post about that when I play it too, because it is meant to be one of the most fun, frantic and funniest board games ever.

Edit: Board gaming at AusPAX seems like it should definitely happen, as well as whatever else everyone gets up to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom