• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 7 - We hang out IRL now and be social and shit. (Also, Adrian's Revenge)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danoss

This needs to be fixed.

I agree with everything you said. It's a simple game, let's keep it that way.

I like some of the cool, lesser-known rules (the ones that come into play once a season if you're lucky), and they're perfectly fine the way they are. The stuff that we see every single game needs some trimming back. I don't think it's always a case of the rules actually being complicated, I think they're being allowed to take liberties with some of the rules, when they shouldn't.

Kicking Harrigan and Raper to the curb and finding some lesser idiots to take their place, streamline some shit and remind the refs what their goddamn job is, would be a good start.

On the video ref shit, there was at least one occasion I saw earlier in the year which was a real worry, moreso than usual. I forget which game it was, but Tony Archer sent something upstairs. While it was under review, Archer was watching the screen displaying the replay of events. The decision was "Ref's Call" and Archer made a decision based on what he saw on the screen. There was no possible way standing where he was when it happened, that he could have made the call that he did. It's fucking despicable, we don't have two video referees, yet Archer decided he'd try and act like one.

Did you guys see Steve Mascord's column the other day? He said the English Super League should expand to Australia, the logic being the ESL could use bolstering with talent and money and there are places in Australia desperate for a team flush with cash, apparently. I would watch the shit out of that. Brisbane Bombers v Hull KR? Done.

Realistically. The obstruction rule is confusing now, get rid of double movements, bring in a challenge system, chip the ball for forward passes.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
On a Friday night no less.

Danoss

I dunno about Super League teams coming here. The fanbase is spread as thin as possible in the current locations, and there are already clubs in waiting in multiple locations for an NRL license. I'd have the read the article before really commenting on it though.

Obstuction is the only thing that needs fixing, and it's pretty straightforward. Double movements and forward passes are fine, the refs just need to do their damn job. Double movements are so easy to spot, yet the refs are just too shit to see them. Forward passes are also easy to spot, but the touchies don't get involved despite being in the best position to, much to my astonishment.

How does a chip on a forward pass work? If the player is moving forward, inertia will carry the ball forward anyway, which is why it's dictated by the direction in which the ball leaves the hands. This video demonstrates, and in the second example it is often ruled incorrectly; it looks forward, but it's not. I've seen that many times, as I'm sure you have. How can a chip determine the difference between a pass thrown forward, and one that naturally travels forward?

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I have realised that coming home from the valley in heels and a trenchcoat probably makes me look like a hooker =/

Pics? We can't confirm such allegations without them.

So windows 8 is an odd beast so far within my 10 minutes of using it.

• My sound card drivers aren't really compatible so you have to disable driver sig stuff to get that going.
  • Not sure if they work since it's too late to test them.
  • Not being able to put my computer on the desktop without a shortcut is super fucking odd.
  • Searching for stuff seems ok via metro, although not putting all the results from the 3 categories on the same page is kinda odd.
  • I also forgot my guild wars 2 password and the reset function doesn't seem to work. Another bug in that game system I guess!

I have nothing else to really confirm so far. Steam is working and dota 2 is doing some extra updates. I got my server up and running after switching out the ssd for a bigger one.

It's also midnight, why the fuck am i still up.

Jintor

Today was a nothing day. I thought it would be better since I had a catch-up with old friends, but it didn't make me feel any better. No, worse - it made me feel worse, because I felt like I was disconnected, from people. Again. It's bad enough to feel like you can't get to know strangers, but it's something else to feel like you're not connected to friends.

Did you guys see Steve Mascord's column the other day? He said the English Super League should expand to Australia, the logic being the ESL could use bolstering with talent and money and there are places in Australia desperate for a team flush with cash, apparently. I would watch the shit out of that. Brisbane Bombers v Hull KR? Done.

It's an incredibly dumb idea that would never work (for a variety of reasons). If we really want to see more games between the ESL and NRL just extend the WCC and make it mroe meaningful.

My biggest problem with suggestions like this is there are already so many places in Australia asking for a team. Perth, central coast, SE QLD, PNG, NZ the NRL should be looking there long before it considers any pie in the sky ideas like that.

I agree with everything you said. It's a simple game, let's keep it that way.

I like some of the cool, lesser-known rules (the ones that come into play once a season if you're lucky), and they're perfectly fine the way they are. The stuff that we see every single game needs some trimming back. I don't think it's always a case of the rules actually being complicated, I think they're being allowed to take liberties with some of the rules, when they shouldn't.

Kicking Harrigan and Raper to the curb and finding some lesser idiots to take their place, streamline some shit and remind the refs what their goddamn job is, would be a good start.

On the video ref shit, there was at least one occasion I saw earlier in the year which was a real worry, moreso than usual. I forget which game it was, but Tony Archer sent something upstairs. While it was under review, Archer was watching the screen displaying the replay of events. The decision was "Ref's Call" and Archer made a decision based on what he saw on the screen. There was no possible way standing where he was when it happened, that he could have made the call that he did. It's fucking despicable, we don't have two video referees, yet Archer decided he'd try and act like one.

Completely agree with you. Also there is another example i can think of. I forget the game but the ref sent a call up stairs to see if Farah had grounded it. In the replay you could see where the ref was and he clearly missed the whole play (and only saw where the ball was long after the tackle was compete). The call was then sent back as a refs call and he made a decision even though he clearly didn't have the information to do so.

Obstuction is the only thing that needs fixing, and it's pretty straightforward. Double movements and forward passes are fine, the refs just need to do their damn job. Double movements are so easy to spot, yet the refs are just too shit to see them. Forward passes are also easy to spot, but the touchies don't get involved despite being in the best position to, much to my astonishment.

I have to wonder how much we pay touchies because they do absolutely nothing. We are now paying 2 refs, 2 touchies and 2 video refs and none of them can do their job.

Rezbit

Must be really frustrating as a supporter of a club who gets screwed. League definitely seems like the type of code where the umps need to get it spot on or the game will be incorrectly decided. That's a benefit of AFL being high scoring I suppose, even though the umpires have been shit as this year, not many, if any games have come down to their decisions (just the quality of it to watch).

Must be really frustrating as a supporter of a club who gets screwed. League definitely seems like the type of code where the umps need to get it spot on or the game will be incorrectly decided. That's a benefit of AFL being high scoring I suppose, even though the umpires have been shit as this year, not many, if any games have come down to their decisions (just the quality of it to watch).

I know this may sound sad to people who don't like sports but after investing yourself into a team for the whole year (potentially a lot longer than that especially for cowboys fans who have never seen a premiership) seeing this happen really stings.

Darklord

Banned
wUBih.png

Can you imagine the NeoGeo if it came out today in Australia? $2000?

Danoss

Completely agree with you. Also there is another example i can think of. I forget the game but the ref sent a call up stairs to see if Farah had grounded it. In the replay you could see where the ref was and he clearly missed the whole play (and only saw where the ball was long after the tackle was compete). The call was then sent back as a refs call and he made a decision even though he clearly didn't have the information to do so.

It's fine if they have to send it back to the ref for a decision, if the cameras didn't catch anything, it's not really anyone's fault. It's not fine if that decision is clearly not what the ref saw.

I have to wonder how much we pay touchies because they do absolutely nothing. We are now paying 2 refs, 2 touchies and 2 video refs and none of them can do their job.

The only thing the touchies have been doing right is indicating if a penalty goal/conversion has been kicked. Refs are kicking arse in lower grades, though it'll be interesting to see how the refs go in Toyota Cup with a video ref in the finals.

AFL doesn't have that constant back-and-forth battle for field position that the refs can shit all over with a poor decision. By this, I mean they have free-roaming players that can be kicked around, instead of a wall of defenders trying to stop the advance. The refs in League force defenders to give up valuable ground when a penalty is awarded, and this often occurs sequentially, so if they're wrong, the consequences can be huge.

There's more to it than this of course, but it is beyond frustrating when it happens to your team.

Unrelated, this is for codswallop so I hope he sees it. Canon 7D firmware update to 2.0.3 went out a couple of days ago. Fixes a couple of minor things from 2.0.0 if you updated to that when I mentioned it a short while ago. Should be nice and handy for you Japan trip if you haven't yet updated. Link here.

Yagharek

I "go" for manly, but have minimal investment in the team unless its a finals game since the league is rarely shown on tv where I live.

Was the game really that bad?

Either way, here's hoping they beat melbourne since they stole premierships I guess.

Shame for people who care about the competition though. Not what you want to see in a finals series.

Axiom

That Neo Geo price is nuts, and was nuts at the time too. One thing I remember about seeing it demonstrated at the local video game store though, was that with the quality of graphics and sturdy arcade stick controllers, you totally understood why it cost that much.

I can't really say the same about seeing the 3DO for the first time.

I've been playing Persona 3 on my Vita and was really quite enjoying it until I tracked down some of the cutscenes and character animations I'm not seeing because I'm playing the portable version and now I'm kind of bummed.

Shaneus

I HAVE INTERNET It is a little slow on ADSL1 but will function okay! Upload speed is terrible but seems to pull down around 250KB/s downloading. Just have to wait for a port to open up for ADSL2+. Fast enough to watch ABC shows on demand for the little guy!

Since we have had my mothers Netbook in the house the Tablet has had zero use. Netbook can run all the Facebook crap the wife wants. Might go for a Nexus as the smaller size will be better for cooking and such.
Looked up that video yet? I can't even remember what it was!

Oh wait, yes I do.

The Rubens
Yes?

Is that the episode with the scene with Homer singing "Sport sports sport sports. Sports sports sports sports"? I love that bit.

How does a chip on a forward pass work? If the player is moving forward, inertia will carry the ball forward anyway, which is why it's dictated by the direction in which the ball leaves the hands. This video demonstrates, and in the second example it is often ruled incorrectly; it looks forward, but it's not. I've seen that many times, as I'm sure you have. How can a chip determine the difference between a pass thrown forward, and one that naturally travels forward?
I actually don't know and that is a good point. Ive just heard it being talked about by people more knowledgeable than I. But that does seem like a major issue with it.

It's an incredibly dumb idea that would never work (for a variety of reasons). If we really want to see more games between the ESL and NRL just extend the WCC and make it mroe meaningful.

My biggest problem with suggestions like this is there are already so many places in Australia asking for a team. Perth, central coast, SE QLD, PNG, NZ the NRL should be looking there long before it considers any pie in the sky ideas like that.

It's never going to happen but I wouldn't say it's totally dumb. The idea is to get those clubs and areas the NRL has decided don't need a club and put one there. One is say Brissie, Central Coast, Wellington, Perth etc. But yeah not going to happen. But you're totally right about improving WCC. A champions league would be cool. Sag the premiers from both, the challenge cup winner, and maybe the NYC or nsw/q cup champs.

Another issue was the dick all people that turned up last night. Seriously manly? 16000 people? Another disgrace. I honestly believe there are too many Sydney teams and the fan base has been diluted too much. Move some.

Today we’re announcing our first Kickstarter project, Project Eternity! It’s an old-school styled CRPG for the PC, reminiscent of the Infinity Engine games (Baldur’s Gate, Icewind Dale, and Planescape: Torment).
It features our own new roleplaying system and campaign setting, and we encourage you to check it out at kickstarter.obsidian.net.

Edit: Dammit, x3n...

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Mate is having birthday lunch/drinks at a brewery today. Pretty keen for a sit down meal and a pint of whatever. Downside is due to the travel I have to be up at this hour on a Saturday.

I wouldn't mind if last night's sleep was, well, non-sleep. Spent about 6 - 7 hours wide away in bed, got one hour sleep, and woke up in a ridiculous sweat. I'm utterly wrecked.

Today is one of those few days that I am not enjoying being a father :(

Also holy shit some people are salty!
1. Buy the WiiU USED when Bayonetta 2 is about to release so that Nintendo don’t get a CENT for your purchase.
2. Buy Bayonetta 2 USED (you’ll see it in a week) so that PG isn’t going to get a CENT for your purchase.
3. Play and enjoy the game (if it’s any good) knowing that you never officially supported Nintendo/PG.
4. …
5. PROFIT! (and feel good)
I mean, I would prefer it on a console that actually exists right now but to be so pissed off you want to avoid ANY of your money going to developers, publishers and platform holders is impressively insane. Shows no understanding of how fucking terrible the returns for developers on consoles are! Platinum get like a dollar if you buy it anyway sillypants!

The little guy ran into the room and saw maybe 3mm of that picture at the bottom of my screen, enough to make out the boat picture obviously and yelled, "Simpsons!"

I have realised that coming home from the valley in heels and a trenchcoat probably makes me look like a hooker =/
More like Walk Of Shame most people would think.

Today was a nothing day. I thought it would be better since I had a catch-up with old friends, but it didn't make me feel any better. No, worse - it made me feel worse, because I felt like I was disconnected, from people. Again. It's bad enough to feel like you can't get to know strangers, but it's something else to feel like you're not connected to friends.
Just means you haven't been spending much time with them or the interests you share with them have been less important to you lately. Also being in a group takes away a lot of that personal feeling anyway, maybe go out to lunch with one that you converse easiest with.

Middle income is 200-250k - Mittens.
Where the hell is that considered middle income? I must be considered to be poverty stricken :/

Looked up that video yet? I can't even remember what it was!

Oh wait, yes I do.

Yes?

Is that the episode with the scene with Homer singing "Sport sports sport sports. Sports sports sports sports"? I love that bit.
Just watched it, it was okay! I still prefer the classic original Chemical Brothers track and LOVE the soothing train ride video clip. Perfect come down song if it is early enough in the night.

Those Ruben boys rock the fuck out. New EP is godly.

NOPE. You are thinking of Lisa On Ice, where Lisa discovers she is failing Gym class and hilariously decides to take up Ice Hockey. Which Bart now suddenly has been playing for a long time apparently! With hilarious results!
The picture is from Skinners Sense of Snow, which was a lacklustre Season 12 episode that just never really got going. It certainly wasn't offensive but still barely worth watching.

Just had a beer in Reykjavik at Sigur Ros' local bar. Ate Minke whale for dinner last night. Tonight: puffin.
Every time you post in here I hate you more and more.

Also PUFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFINS!

Today we’re announcing our first Kickstarter project, Project Eternity! It’s an old-school styled CRPG for the PC, reminiscent of the Infinity Engine games (Baldur’s Gate, Icewind Dale, and Planescape: Torment).
It features our own new roleplaying system and campaign setting, and we encourage you to check it out at kickstarter.obsidian.net.
ALPHA PROTOCOL 2?

Unrelated, this is for codswallop so I hope he sees it. Canon 7D firmware update to 2.0.3 went out a couple of days ago. Fixes a couple of minor things from 2.0.0 if you updated to that when I mentioned it a short while ago. Should be nice and handy for you Japan trip if you haven't yet updated. Link here.
Almost missed this due to all the awful, awful NRL talk, but thanks for pointing it out. Now to figure out whether to listen to the IT part of my brain which is telling me to hold off from updating because things might go wrong when in the field, or to listen to the tech part of my brain which is repeating new! new! new! new! new! over and over.

Believe it is. Tried to search for it a little while ago when a similar discussion took place but couldn't find it. No problems finding it yesterday... odd. Fits in with my theory that there's a Simpsons quote or scene that can relate to every situation you'll ever experience, ever.

The little guy ran into the room and saw maybe 3mm of that picture at the bottom of my screen, enough to make out the boat picture obviously and yelled, "Simpsons!"
You've obviously done well by the little chap by teaching the most important things in life. Next up is disappointment. So time to start watching the most recent seasons.

ALPHA PROTOCOL 2?
Nope. "Old school RPG", which is about as much information as they've given. I assume it's a swords and sorcery type theme but really there's very little information to go on other than "Obsidian!" "RPG!" "Old school!". I haven't watched the video but I think I'll wait for more information before committing, it'll be funded whether I back it or not.

Linky

Edit: Just watched the video, there's still little to no money. Ahh who am I kidding, I'll still probably give them money.

Believe it is. Tried to search for it a little while ago when a similar discussion took place but couldn't find it. No problems finding it yesterday... odd. Fits in with my theory that there's a Simpsons quote or scene that can relate to every situation you'll ever experience, ever.

You've obviously done well by the little chap by teaching the most important things in life. Next up is disappointment. So time to start watching the most recent seasons.

Nope. "Old school RPG", which is about as much information as they've given. I assume it's a swords and sorcery type theme but really there's very little information to go on other than "Obsidian!" "RPG!" "Old school!". I haven't watched the video but I think I'll wait for more information before committing, it'll be funded whether I back it or not.

NOPE. You are thinking of Lisa On Ice, where Lisa discovers she is failing Gym class and hilariously decides to take up Ice Hockey. Which Bart now suddenly has been playing for a long time apparently! With hilarious results!
The picture is from Skinners Sense of Snow, which was a lacklustre Season 12 episode that just never really got going. It certainly wasn't offensive but still barely worth watching.

HE WILL NEVER SEE THEM UNDER MY WATCH

Alpha Protocol 2?
That video gave me shivers. Awesome lineup of talent. Hopefully I can go for the Collectors Edition if money is looking good in a months time. Will kick in on the GAF pledge too!

senahorse

The only thing I would say about an OT, make it concise. I can't stand these over-bloated OT's with the history of mankind that read like a paid advertisement.

Danoss

Almost missed this due to all the awful, awful NRL talk, but thanks for pointing it out. Now to figure out whether to listen to the IT part of my brain which is telling me to hold off from updating because things might go wrong when in the field, or to listen to the tech part of my brain which is repeating new! new! new! new! new! over and over.

Good thing I bolded your name, I thought that'd do the trick. Listen to both parts of your brain. Camera firmware is very well tested (pros use this thing), and the issues with 2.0.0 were relatively minor and rare, and Canon jumped on them very quickly, considering the thorough testing they would again have to on the update. You get the best of both worlds; stability and new features.

Of course, look at the features that 2.0.0 introduced first, seen here, to see if they matter to you. If none of them do, then 1.2.5 firmware will keep on trucking.

But, since when does a camera firmware update add such new features? Good on Canon for this, it makes an already great camera even better.

Danoss

Happy Birthday Rezbit! I will play board games today in your honour.

I'll raise a glass when I get home to watch the footy. Carn Raiders.

So I'm playing Hero Quest (board game ) tonight with a few mates, and I'm actually quite excited seeing as I haven't played it in like 15 years. I'm wondering though, what are some board games that are more 'sophisticated' than HQ yet still resemble its core ethos? I think I might actually get into board games, they're really entertaining, especially whilst drinking with friends.

It's my birthday. Come at me birthday skeleton.
Happy birthday Rez!
Good thing I bolded your name, I thought that'd do the trick. Listen to both parts of your brain. Camera firmware is very well tested (pros use this thing), and the issues with 2.0.0 were relatively minor and rare, and Canon jumped on them very quickly, considering the thorough testing they would again have to on the update. You get the best of both worlds; stability and new features.

Of course, look at the features that 2.0.0 introduced first, seen here, to see if they matter to you. If none of them do, then 1.2.5 firmware will keep on trucking.

But, since when does a camera firmware update add such new features? Good on Canon for this, it makes an already great camera even better.

Oh man, did I tell you I bought a camera? Or was that when you were on hiatus? Just went with the low end Nikon because I got it for sub $500. Took it too Japan, it was awesome. Really looking forward to learning how to use it well.

Back to footy, I don't mind who wins tonight. I don't mind either team. I just want whoever wins to smash the Dogs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom