• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 7 - We hang out IRL now and be social and shit. (Also, Adrian's Revenge)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jintor

It's like a blowfish

Ufyy6.jpg

Fake Iwata Asks are like christmas arriving

Shaneus

Gosh darnit! I just ate my last lemonsodabubblegumarmalade teatowel.

I can live with the front; it's a couple of characters in front of the word ADVENTURE. The back is designed to be worn at video game conventions so that other people can nerdgasm at and bask in your awesomness. Or hate you immediately, instead of taking the time to find a reason.

Outside of that setting it's just going to get questions. "What's 'BACKER!'?"
Double Fine could've been awesome and just had "FRONTER" on the front. But they weren't. Instead, it just looks kinda shitty.

I'm all for nerdy t-shirts, as long as they're not overtly nerdy. Without the "backer" it would've been fine. What's the bet they sell the t-shirts without that print on their store once the game's out? I bet so :(

Guys wearing those shirts you will be rockstars at PAX AU

you backed the DFA !
Just try and get me out of my Idle Thumbs t-shirts.

Edit: FTL is finally out for the masses/slow? Yippee. Hope it's not too pricey.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Very keen to see what deals retailers do on the Wii U. I hope we get lucky like we did with the 3DS. $283 with Rabbids 3D and free launch day shipping instead of $350 stand alone was an excellent deal.

jambo

Very keen to see what deals retailers do on the Wii U. I hope we get lucky like we did with the 3DS. $283 with Rabbids 3D and free launch day shipping instead of $350 stand alone was an excellent deal.

I can definitely see the price being driven down by JB and EB exchanging discounts in the run up to release.

Then there'll also be Dick Smith and BigW announcing crazy cheap bundles in the fortnight before launch.

I can't recall ever seeing anything that great for consoles. What's worse you often only get bundles (with crap). Like to proven wrong. Also. I've just realised I have never bought a console from JB

markot

Banned
Theyll hopefully have abit of a sales bish bash for it. But I bet most will be "AND FREE WIIMOTE SHIT YOU THROW IN A BIN AND SOME UBISOFT GAME THAT YOUR BIG FAT MOMMA WILL LOVE!"

markot

Banned
Nexus 7.

Alsoooo, what happened to the small ipad everyone was hyping >_<?

(Well I have a nexus 7 and love it. But you might prefer bigger, if so, I dunno)(Also if you are keen on microsoft windows 8 their crap is coming in a month)

senahorse

I would suggest waiting for the surface to come out and looking at that, especially if you run windows on your pc/laptop. Otherwise if you're using OSX, an iPad is a no brainer. I guess the question is what do you want it for?

Yagharek

I'm pretty convinced now I'll be able to go Wii U only next gen.

First party support, platinum, monhun, inevitable reasonable assumptions of treasure and q games support. I know there will be great stuff on other systems but I don't feel like it will be missing out as much as this gen.

markot

Banned
I'm pretty convinced now I'll be able to go Wii U only next gen.

First party support, platinum, monhun, inevitable reasonable assumptions of treasure and q games support. I know there will be great stuff on other systems but I don't feel like it will be missing out as much as this gen.

Wiiu + PC = all bases covered. Also 3ds.

Salazar

I would suggest waiting for the surface to come out and looking at that, especially if you run windows on your pc/laptop. Otherwise if you're using OSX, an iPad is a no brainer. I guess the question is what do you want it for?

I've got an iPad (original one), but am looking for something new to gradually replace it.

Yagharek

Wiiu + PC = all bases covered. Also 3ds.

I'm not going into absolutes as to which is best, but as if right now it looks like a lot of my retro and shiny new desires will be satiated by just one system.

I expect to reevaluate this at next e3 console unveilings but I guess I don't have as much time to justify more consoles again

senahorse

Unless you're in a rush, I would wait until the end of next month when the RT (basically a lite version of Windows 8, specifically for tablets) surface releases and see how that reviews (there will be other non Microsoft branded tablets as well). There will also be a Pro version in Jan/Feb that will run full Windows 8 if that's your thing. The surface tablets have the added advantage of USB if you want to plug peripherals in.

The Nexus range of tablets are pretty good, that run Android (currently Ice Cream Sandwich and the newer Jelly Bean). I have been playing around with Android on my Touchpad and Galaxy SIII and certainly give it the thumbs up. A very slick OS that is very very tweakable (if you're into that), but maybe a little more buggy than iOS.

Lastly you have the iPads which aren't worth talking about (considering you have had one already), and this is the biggest question you have to answer I guess. Do you have an affinity to your app purchases, if so, get another iPad.

I didn't think the Windows tablets were going to be out until early next year?

Nexus 7 is a great tablet for consuming all types of media. Perfect size to carry around, slip into a bag, etc. I find 10" tabs become fatiguing to hold but can use the Nexus 7 for as long as I want. Surprised there was no iPad Mini announcement... maybe March to coincide with the inevitable next iPad.

Edit: Seems they are releasing the Surface tablets the same day as Windows 8. I thought that was just a rumour but guess not. Maybe the Pro is next year?

CryptiK

With iPhone 5, Apple Again Raises the Smartphone Bar

http://www.businessweek.com/article...-apple-again-raises-the-smartphone-bar#r=read

>_> The bar must be really low, and someone dropped it? Like the moron who runs into it for fun? And then Apple had to pick it up and put it back?
Nope Apple now have their own special little Bar since they cant keep up with times any more.

I can definitely see the price being driven down by JB and EB exchanging discounts in the run up to release.

Then there'll also be Dick Smith and BigW announcing crazy cheap bundles in the fortnight before launch.
Harvey Norman may have something in the works as well since their big push on gaming

I HAVE INTERNET It is a little slow on ADSL1 but will function okay! Upload speed is terrible but seems to pull down around 250KB/s downloading. Just have to wait for a port to open up for ADSL2+. Fast enough to watch ABC shows on demand for the little guy!

Since we have had my mothers Netbook in the house the Tablet has had zero use. Netbook can run all the Facebook crap the wife wants. Might go for a Nexus as the smaller size will be better for cooking and such.

Nope Apple now have their own special little Bar since they cant keep up with times any more.
My favourite quote from that article is this:

Stupid crappy article for jerks said:
...emphasizing the unique tricks that distinguish the iPhone, such as a new photo feature that allows iPhone users to take a panoramic picture easily with their handset.
Panoramic shots are unique to the iPhone? News to me. Wonder how those panos got onto my Android phone...

CryptiK

My favourite quote from that article is this:

Panoramic shots are unique to the iPhone? News to me. Wonder how those panos got onto my Android phone...
Yeah the article is clearly a load of codswallop of a sheltered apple fan boy.

Also WiiU day one :D Im am disappointed that 1080p will not be standard though :( we are in 2012 get with the times!

Great question. I find them useless. Work gave me a 4G galaxy 8.9 but I can't seem to find any use for it (apart from work stuff).

If you have a smartphone and a laptop, tablets are irrelevant imo.

I had the same train of thought, until I got a tablet.

Now my laptop barely gets used.

Danoss

So much bullshit in this Manly v Nth QLD match. Nth QLD getting robbed so badly, the refs making it happen with their own unique interpretation of the rules that are blatantly wrong.

Once the off-season hits, the refs need to be taken line by line through the rule book and told exactly what it means. This needs to happen, because it's getting out of hand.

Danoss

The worst call was from the video ref. Simpkins I think.

Now either Manly or Storm will be in the GF. At least I'll definitely have someone to cheer against.

Steve Clark. Blind as a goddamn bat.

Ben Cummins was alright, he's been consistently good for a while now.

I look forward to booing the shit out of Manly or Melbourne. Fuck them both forever.

If I was a Manly fan I would be ashamed with that win. Well more ashamed than usual.

Horrible decision after horrible decision. Even the non-scoring ones like Manly grounding the ball in goal and it apparently not happening or even Tamou chucking the ball two metres forward. Ridiculous

Edit: As much as the Storm can suck it, Manly don't deserve to be in the final after that game. I hope Melbourne tear them apart. I'm saying this as a Broncos fan who fucking hates the Storm. Cheating pricks who stole our coach and beat us in finals.

Danoss

If I was a Manly fan I would be ashamed with that win. Well more ashamed than usual.

Especially with Foran saying, after the game, "Nah, I didn't touch it. I tried to knock it back, but Thursto beat me to it." His pants caught fire before he could finish the last sentence.

What a slimy prick.

They need this captain's challenge asap. And they need to refer it to an off site video ref. In the NHL disputed goals are referred to a danger room in Toronto. They don't see what's happening in the game and see the incident purely in isolation.

423637_407765819276884_1652012471_n.jpg

Danoss

I like the way the NFL does it, at least how I think they do it.

All calls are made by the on-field referees. If it is disputed, it is then looked at on video by other referees, as in plural, and they make their decisions separately. A certain number of challenges are allowed per quarter/half after which no more challenges are allowed by that team.

It keeps the flow of the game so every 2nd call isn't sent upstairs for review, sucking the excitement out of the try celebrations. I know this is a complaint by many fans/would-be fans, and I would like to see it happen too.

But then again, I don't think the NFL refs are ratshit at their job. Our touchies, for example, have a few simple jobs and they're shit at all of them. Watching when/if the ball or a players body part goes into touch and how, and looking for forward passes are the main ones. When was the last time they called a forward pass? They're in the perfect position to see them, yet they never call it. Useless sacks of crap.

Ironically the NFL refs are on strike at the moment and they are using scabs who have been apparently shite.

They need to do something for next year though. Has there been a week gone by without a ref controversy?

Put those damn forward pass chips in the balls, make one ref the boss ref and the other as essentially a tackle touchie. The problem is where is the NRL getting decent refs from?

Danoss

Nope, there's some outrageous call every week. I get they're not perfect, and mistakes will be made, but those little things usually balance themselves out. Lately, the calls are just absolute stinkers that could have been avoided. Harrigan isn't helping anyone by coming out and saying who was right/wrong each week and reminding everyone how awesome he thinks he is.

It's time to educate the refs, because punishing them clearly doesn't work, and was never going to. Look at Sean Hampstead; he was fucking horrible as an on-field ref years ago and is equally as bad in the video ref box now. Hampstead gets stood down for one of the many horrendous calls that he makes, and then makes another immediately upon his return. He's not going to get any better, piss him off.

It's simple, if you're a ref and you don't know the rules, YOU'RE FUCKING FIRED!

One thing that's really irritating: obstruction, and not the dummy-runner kind. Here's a tip for them, stop complicating things more than necessary. If a player runs behind his own teammate, it's a shepherd and a penalty/turnover. End of discussion. It's easy to enforce and there is no extenuating circumstances about whether or not a defender was impeded, it's black and white and everyone knows when it happens.

Nope, there's some outrageous call every week. I get they're not perfect, and mistakes will be made, but those little things usually balance themselves out. Lately, the calls are just absolute stinkers that could have been avoided. Harrigan isn't helping anyone by coming out and saying who was right/wrong each week and reminding everyone how awesome he thinks he is.

It's time to educate the refs, because punishing them clearly doesn't work, and was never going to. Look at Sean Hampstead; he was fucking horrible as an on-field ref years ago and is equally as bad in the video ref box now. Hampstead gets stood down for one of the many horrendous calls that he makes, and then makes another immediately upon his return. He's not going to get any better, piss him off.

It's simple, if you're a ref and you don't know the rules, YOU'RE FUCKING FIRED!

Refs in the NRL have become too reliant on the video ref and are incapable of making calls anymore (checking that shephard on Tamous try was hilarious). When you watch QLD cup where there is no video ref the regular refs do a much better job.

Most of the big mistakes are being made by the video ref. Once the call is sent upstairs a whole new rule book comes out and you don't know what will happen.

One thing that's really irritating: obstruction, and not the dummy-runner kind. Here's a tip for them, stop complicating things more than necessary. If a player runs behind his own teammate, it's a shepherd and a penalty/turnover. End of discussion. It's easy to enforce and there is no extenuating circumstances about whether or not a defender was impeded, it's black and white and everyone knows when it happens.

Same with grounding in the in goals. Get rid of intent and simplify things. If the player grounds the ball (like Taufua) then it is a drop out. The bullshit thing is if he dropped 30 metres down field and the cowboys picked it up and scored they would go back for the drop out.

It sucks the way all the rules have become so complicated and in some cases don't make sense. My biggest pet peeve is still the put down for tries. Whether it's tries being given for clear knock ons or players being allowed to ground with their torso (but you can't knock on with it lololololol).

This needs to be fixed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom