• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 7 - We hang out IRL now and be social and shit. (Also, Adrian's Revenge)

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I seriously considered the Lumia and the S3. They both seem like really nice, competitive phones. I'm not convinced their app marketplaces are where I'd like them to be yet, so for another two years I'm happy to stick with the iPhone. Come 2014, I wouldn't be surprised if the decision was a lot harder to make.

Honestly, I almost decided to just stick with my iPhone 4. It's design is still absolutely top-notch, it's still super-fast and it does most everything I need. It's a no-brainer recommendation for people looking for an entry-level smartphone nowadays. That it can be considered "entry-level" is kind of mindblowing.

Choc

Banned
Man I cannot wait for the Lumia 920

A lot of people can't it seems based on comments on tech blogs

http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/artic...ing_turn-by-turn_navigation_ios_6_next_month/

iPhone 5 preordered

Traffic + turn-by-turn: about time. Looks pretty nice.

I went with Optus again. Seems like the best value for money.

I am sure it will be a perfectly fine phone :) Friday delivery? PS. An iphone 5 is not an entry level smartphone, ever, in any language

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
A lot of people can't it seems based on comments on tech blogs

I am sure it will be a perfectly fine phone :) Friday delivery? PS. An iphone 5 is not an entry level smartphone, ever, in any language

iPhone *4*

I'm not sure when the delivery will be. I'm not really super-desperate to have it launch day, honestly.

senahorse

I still wouldn't class a $500 $450 phone an entry level smartphone. There are some android phones around $200 that I would give that title to.

Choc

Banned
Friday is going to be so bad with the iphone

You've got the fact that it needs a new sim so everyone not buying on a plan at a telco will have to call up and get switched over

this could mean the apple store queues go at a crawl because i guarantee apple will demand that it all gets switched over before you leave (they did thsi stupidity with the Ip4, one reason queues were horrendous on launch day)

and those who don't get it done will be on hold for hours to telcos :|

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I still wouldn't class a $500 $450 phone an entry level smartphone. There are some android phones around $200 that I would give that title to.

Can you link them? I don't doubt you, I'm just looking to see what the actual quality of the phone you get for those prices is.

What do you care if you're not buying one? It just means the streets will be quieter except the immediate vicinity around Apple stores. Hell, maybe that awesome hipster restaurant that's always busy will have a table!

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
If it wasn't such a shit way to say something i would be ok with it vook. But thats just pathetic

I know, I'm using another one of their 'words'.

You've got the fact that it needs a new sim so everyone not buying on a plan at a telco will have to call up and get switched over

this could mean the apple store queues go at a crawl because i guarantee apple will demand that it all gets switched over before you leave (they did thsi stupidity with the Ip4, one reason queues were horrendous on launch day)

and those who don't get it done will be on hold for hours to telcos :|

Yeah .... it's not gonna go so well. Telstra melted down last time.

http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/artic...ing_turn-by-turn_navigation_ios_6_next_month/

iPhone 5 preordered

Traffic + turn-by-turn: about time. Looks pretty nice.

I went with Optus again. Seems like the best value for money.

Turn by Turn with voice doesn't work in Australia.

I really hope Google have a new map apps up before its released. Apple maps don't have transit, street view... it's annoying.

Choc

Banned
Opposition Education spokesman Christopher Pyne tells ABC News Breakfast the latest Newspoll results have been driven by the "politics of personal denigration".

wait, you mean like what Tony has done for 2 years?

edit: cods anyone without an iphone who has a problem with a telco on friday is fucked thats why

Fredescu

Choc

Banned
I seriously don't get all these people getting all excited by the Lumia 920.

Why? I think a lot of people are looking at it like Apple. Microsoft is building an ecosystem of interoperability like apple

so windows 8, surface, next xbox, current xbox, windows phone 8

if you buy into it big time it might just be as good as apple, who knows.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I'd still consider the iPhone 4 entry-level priced for a modern smart-phone, but point taken. I don't really know much about those other phones.

Choc

Banned
I'd still consider the iPhone 4 entry-level priced for a modern smart-phone, but point taken. I don't really know much about those other phones.

aside from price i would consider it yes

but you can get a blackberry smartphone for $180 and before you laugh a BB is very much a smartphone

internet, email, apps

that company is so dead though.

Choc

Banned
according to telstra map, Esperance has 4G. That can't be right vook can it?

edit: apparently its all true. Wow

r1chard

Why? I think a lot of people are looking at it like Apple. Microsoft is building an ecosystem of interoperability like apple

so windows 8, surface, next xbox, current xbox, windows phone 8

if you buy into it big time it might just be as good as apple, who knows.
I guess so if you're bought into the Microsoft ecosystem already. I don't own an xbox, but I do use Windows for gaming at home.

It just doesn't seem like an outstanding piece of hardware and there's a bit of a chance to be taken jumping into the Windows Phone ecosystem...

*shrug* I guess "it's not the iPhone" might also be a valid reason for some :)

Fogz

apple making up words

2012-ipodnano-home-split2

Well at least Sony had the forethought to name their thing "Vita" so for its inevitable relaunch they can use the term "revitalised"

Fredescu

It's hard to say this without sounding fanboyish, but it's only entry level priced for an Apple phone. Looking on Kogan you can get HTCs current flagship phone (http://www.kogan.com/au/buy/htc-one-x-white/) cheaper than a two generation old Apple phone (http://store.apple.com/au/browse/home/shop_iphone/family/iphone/iphone4 being Apple's store it's admittedly probably more expensive than elsewhere, but Kogan don't have the 4 anymore, just the 4s). Meanwhile Samsung's current flagship (http://www.kogan.com/au/buy/samsung-galaxy-s3-16gb-white/) is cheaper than Apples last gen phone (http://www.kogan.com/au/buy/apple-iphone-4s-16gb-unlocked-black/).

So I guess my point is, you can't really use Apple's pricing to generalise about "smartphone" pricing.

Choc

Banned
I guess so if you're bought into the Microsoft ecosystem already. I don't own an xbox, but I do use Windows for gaming at home.

It just doesn't seem like an outstanding piece of hardware and there's a bit of a chance to be taken jumping into the Windows Phone ecosystem...

*shrug* I guess "it's not the iPhone" might also be a valid reason for some :)

Nokias industrial design has always been as good as apples. Add Nokia Music (spotify style service included but free (spotify isnt free for phones)), offline maps, free turn by turn (even offline) and Windows Phone 8 (which looks like a Vista-> Windows 7 type deal) then you have a pretty interesting product.

Its also got a bigger screen :p

and we have labors election pitch for 2013 already.

'"Newman's Budget razor is Tony Abbott's curtain raiser," she said.'

Well at least Sony had the forethought to name their thing "Vita" so for its inevitable relaunch they can use the term "revitalised"

On stupidly made up words, when the Melbourne Rebels launched I saw billboards saying "Join the Rebelution." There is already a word for that. Rebellion.

Nokias industrial design has always been as good as apples. Add Nokia Music (spotify style service included but free (spotify isnt free for phones)), offline maps, free turn by turn (even offline) and Windows Phone 8 (which looks like a Vista-> Windows 7 type deal) then you have a pretty interesting product.

Its also got a bigger screen :p

It won't be till like February, so something even better might be out then, but I'm pretty keen for one when my contract is up. Seems like a mega winner. My current phone is WP7 and the system rocks, but the HTC hardware is turd. Mostly the shithouse battery.

senahorse

It won't be till like February, so something even better might be out then, but I'm pretty keen for one when my contract is up. Seems like a mega winner. My current phone is WP7 and the system rocks, but the HTC hardware is turd. Mostly the shithouse battery.

Late October/Early November actually.

Choc

Banned
BBC news with the truth bomb

'"To use a car analogy, six years ago the iPhone was like a sexy new flagship model from BMW or Porsche. Today it's a Toyota Camry. Safe, reliable, boring. The car your mom drives. The car that's so popular that its maker doesn't dare mess with the formula." '

Fredescu

The flip side of that is, if someone asked you as a tech head which car to buy, you'd say the Camry every time. If someone has to ask, the answer is never Porsche or Android.

Fantastic read

You know the film Life of Brian? When that came out, there were some protests from Christians. There were marches in America, etc but the funniest by-product of the protest is this clip of John Cleese and Michael Palin debating a Bishop and a christian journo.

http://youtu.be/CeKWVuye1YE?t=18m22s

It's pretty long but worth watching. Debate starts 18:30 if the clip above starts from the beginning

if you do manage to watch the whole thing, watch this one afterwards (much shorter)
http://youtu.be/asUyK6JWt9U

Fredescu

If the porsche and camry were the same price I know what i would buy :)
"Some analogies don't bear close examination!"

_46164980_neil_bbc_226.jpg

Which is why the car analogy is pretty shit. Even if there are blingier phones than the iPhone these days, there's nothing like the gap between a Camry and a Porsche.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
BBC news with the truth bomb

'"To use a car analogy, six years ago the iPhone was like a sexy new flagship model from BMW or Porsche. Today it's a Toyota Camry. Safe, reliable, boring. The car your mom drives. The car that's so popular that its maker doesn't dare mess with the formula." '
This quote would make more sense if the competition were doing anything that could be considered radically new or daring, but as it stands it just isn't the case. Being ahead of your time and therefore familiar isn't anything more than a superficial negative. We could split hairs over specific features all we like (we being the collective community), but when push comes to shove, the iPhone as a whole remains a truly amazing device (as do its contemporaries).

Choc

Banned
Fred its not a stupid analogy. A camry in general can be afforded by most people

a porsche cannot

an iphone in general can be afford by most people :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom