• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 7 - We hang out IRL now and be social and shit. (Also, Adrian's Revenge)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jintor

You know the film Life of Brian? When that came out, there were some protests from Christians. There were marches in America, etc but the funniest by-product of the protest is this clip of John Cleese and Michael Palin debating a Bishop and a christian journo.

http://youtu.be/CeKWVuye1YE?t=18m22s

It's pretty long but worth watching. Debate starts 18:30 if the clip above starts from the beginning

if you do manage to watch the whole thing, watch this one afterwards (much shorter)
http://youtu.be/asUyK6JWt9U

I honestly can't fathom religion at all without it being infused into a person's institutional educational system and upbringing

These two idiots on stage are absolutely convinced that their goals are concurrent with goodness without stopping to question why their ideals are worthy of special protection.

Fredescu

Fred its not a stupid analogy. A camry in general can be afforded by most people

a porsche cannot

an iphone in general can be afford by most people :p
What? The quote says the iPhone used to be a Porsche but is now a Camry. The price hasn't changed significantly. Therefore it's pretty stupid.

The only way the analogy works is as I've said above, if you're being asked for advice from someone who is clueless but wants their first smartphone, the iPhone is the most dependable option.

Choc

Banned
lol samsung

sammywide.jpg

and then the iphone fans got mega salty and started crying

Choc

Banned
sorry iphone fans but not having a industry wide plug is fucking ludicrous and stupid

so that is not a plus

ahahahhaha rez

I tried out the gentle alarm! I felt really sleepy when I woke up, but perhaps that's more the result of too little Sleep. Seems good otherwise. Might try it again tomorrow.
Fred its not a stupid analogy. A camry in general can be afforded by most people

a porsche cannot

an iphone in general can be afford by most people :p
What.iPhone is super expensive.

Jintor

I honestly can't fathom religion at all without it being infused into a person's institutional educational system and upbringing

These two idiots on stage are absolutely convinced that their goals are concurrent with goodness without stopping to question why their ideals are worthy of special protection.

Damnit Clive I'm getting really angry. Really, fucking angry.

Choc

Banned
"Senator says weekend's violent protests in Sydney are a 'wake-up call' to 'naive people' about immigration"

yep

senahorse

Is this confirmed? Aren't they usually released later in Australia?

Not yet

October 21st in the US, rumoured for late October - early/mid November. I am pretty sure I remember reading a local Nokia rep say later this year but wouldn't confirm a date.

Yagharek

I'm kind of annoyed at all the pre-emptive comments about "now all the racist Australians are going to hate more muslims" that have circulated the past few days.

To me that's almost akin to dragging a third party in and blaming them for a reaction that hasn't happened, minority report style.

Most people, in fact the vast majority of Australians are not racist and have responded to the scenes in sydney in a measured way.

There seems to be a lot of two-way tarring of the brush going on, and I dont like it.

So I was reading the Wii U thread and I realised that not only do I not have anything but the most rudimentary idea of what a GPGPU is, but that I also cannot see the difference between advanced graphics and antiquated graphics. Someone posted a pic of Nintendo Land and a pic of LBP and... well... they look pretty similar to me, though apparently there's extra stuff going on under the hood.

Also, LBP can look god-awful if you choose the wrong colour palette for your level.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
So I was reading the Wii U thread and I realised that not only do I not have anything but the most rudimentary idea of what a GPGPU is, but that I also cannot see the difference between advanced graphics and antiquated graphics. Someone posted a pic of Nintendo Land and a pic of LBP and... well... they look pretty similar to me, though apparently there's extra stuff going on under the hood.

Also, LBP can look god-awful if you choose the wrong colour palette for your level.

I like games when they are fun to play, if they look pretty that's a bonus too.

Also the dick waving from both the Samsung and Apple factions, get the fuck out.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member

If you can't see a difference between Nintendo-Land and LBP, I just... don't even know where to begin.

Yagharek

Aren't there a whole bunch of examples of where it has happened? Bolt's article, comments from senators amounting to: "see, this is what immigrants do", that Facebook page. All have been linked in this thread.

Bolt is about as mainstream as those thugs in sydney. He is loud, abrasive and ignorant, but he only represents the fringe loon element. 99% of Australians dont give a fuck about it unless people go out of their way to cause damage like on saturday.

Choc

Banned
I like games when they are fun to play, if they look pretty that's a bonus too.

Also the dick waving from both the Samsung and Apple factions, get the fuck out.

POTY

WOW FUCKING WOW. SMH POLL

Julia Gillard
44%
Tony Abbott
19%
Kevin Rudd
10%
Malcolm Turnbull
20%
None of them
7%
Total votes: 15337. CAST YOUR VOTE

If you can't see a difference between Nintendo-Land and LBP, I just... don't even know where to begin.
Artistically, they're worlds apart, but technically? Someone said something about NL having better lighting, but the difference is marginal at best to me and even then, I'm not convinced I'm not just seeing something that isn't actually there.

Yagharek

His blog is one of if not the most popular political blog in Australia. He's as mainstream as they come.

I'm going to assume that the majority of Australian's arent racist, just as I'm going to assume the majority of muslims are not anything like the violent mob element on saturday.

Bolt's notoriety is again targeting the batshit insane element of Australia. The ones who believe science is false and the world is out to get them.

Fredescu

I'm going to assume that the majority of Australian's arent racist, just as I'm going to assume the majority of muslims are not anything like the violent mob element on saturday.
Me too! Just disagreeing that those reactions "didn't happen". That's just putting your head in the sand.

Yagharek

Me too! Just disagreeing that those reactions "didn't happen". That's just putting your head in the sand.

Maybe I didnt make my chain of ideas clear. I know it happened, just as much as I know the riot did too. But I dont think either Australia as a whole or Australian muslims as a whole should be considered as racists or extremists respectively (as per the worst behaviour from the fringe).

The smart ones who got out of there :)

Rejects from Launceston.

Fredescu

Maybe I didnt make my chain of ideas clear. I know it happened, just as much as I know the riot did too. But I dont think either Australia as a whole or Australian muslims as a whole should be considered as racists or extremists respectively (as per the worst behaviour from the fringe).
If it's the article I'm thinking of, it was more or less: "Hey <fringe group>, this will incite <other fringe group>".

markot

Banned
Im sure lots of people read bolt just to get angry. He is the stupid mohammed video of Australian politics for lefties.

magenta

His blog is one of, if not the, most popular political blog in Australia. He's as mainstream as they come.

Just because he is widely read does not mean all who read his stuff believes in it. He is a shock jock, attracts attention from both who agree with him and those who are appalled but want to read his message. This in turn does great things for his advertisers, greater exposure. Same tactics used at Fox News are used here, which makes sense as they are all under News Corp.

Fredescu

I've rented 3 seasons of Dexter, is it any good? My friends keep raving about it but I never found it very interesting (I've watched season 1).
It's good, but if you didn't like season 1 I can't see your reaction being much different to the subsequent seasons.

I want to meet someone who has watched EVERY episode of every Law & Order franchise. Must be an insane mess of a person.

He doesn't! I edited.
lol!

He speaks for a larger group of Australians than we would like to admit. They are not the majority but they do exist.

I've rented 3 seasons of Dexter, is it any good? My friends keep raving about it but I never found it very interesting (I've watched season 1).
Loved first season. Second was good. Third was when I lost interest and didn't go back.

Choc

Banned
He speaks for OAP's who are racist and against change.

That is all

unfortunately with Australias population ageing, the numbers will just increase.

Another problem about the ageing population? They think Tony would be a good PM. because they are fucking idiots,

Fredescu

I've seen all episodes of CSI, Miami and NY...so Dexter was nothing new for me.
Not even the same genre. CSI is a procedural, where each episode is meant to be about a case and what goes on in the solving of it. CSI is widely known for it's gross inaccuracies, and I guess was initially going for shock value. Dexter is a serial drama. It's all about the characters and their motivations and how the story plays out over multiple episodes. CSI doesn't have any of this. The comparison is frankly baffling.

Not even the same genre. CSI is a procedural, where each episode is meant to be about a case and what goes on in the solving of it. CSI is widely known for it's gross inaccuracies, and I guess was initially going for shock value. Dexter is a serial drama. It's all about the characters and their motivations and how the story plays out over multiple episodes. CSI doesn't have any of this. The comparison is frankly baffling.

Well it was just random episodes from season 1 on tv.

Fredescu

Well it was just random episodes from season 1 on tv.
Ah. Well, you can't really approach them the same way as procedurals. You can skip an episode here and there and not miss anything. With serials you have to watch them in order or you just lose the story completely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom