• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 7 - We hang out IRL now and be social and shit. (Also, Adrian's Revenge)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Choc

Banned
Hmm. How so? I can't see any crazy nanny stating, even if there is a lot of crazy talk.

I don't think I'll ever understand how twitter works.

alcohol is probably the best example. I'm not saying that it shouldn't be controlled but look at Europe.

We have major violence around alcohol in australia because personally i think we treat it like this drink thats better than it is

we tax it high (probably due to the violent consequences generally)
we restrict where it can be drunk and at what times (generally this is ok but potentially part of the problem)
We keep telling kids its a very bad thing, making them want it even more thus leading to teenage binging

I think the highly restricted nature of the product makes people think when they go out on the weekend they have to make the most of it

In teh UK and europe you can buy beer in corner stores, supermarkets, food courts and in general they don't have the problems we have with it

Why? Personally I believe because its not seen as such a big fucking deal over there. It's a drink, you drink it if you like it. Done.

In aus its like this magical fucking substance that teenagers think is so cool and awesome because its so restricted.

Sometimes you can restrict something to much and lead to consequences unintended. (this is the argument the ciggy companies are using with black market for example, which i do not agree with). I think alcohol may be just one of those things

It will never change because no politician has the guts or brains to realise that by making something seem so bad, and so restricted, people want it more and binge on it when they get it, especially during the years humans think they are invincible (Teenage years)

Anyone that has never been to Europe cannot say AU isn't heading down a major nanny state path. I used to think that, then i went to Europe and realised AU society is fairly restricted in what it does and when.

markot

Banned
alcohol is probably the best example. I'm not saying that it shouldn't be controlled but look at Europe.

We have major violence around alcohol in australia because personally i think we treat it like this drink thats better than it is

we restrict where it can be drunk and at what times (generally this is ok but potentially part of the problem)
We keep telling kids its a very bad thing, making them want it even more thus leading to teenage binging

I think the highly restricted nature of the product makes people think when they go out on the weekend they have to make the most of it

In teh UK and europe you can buy beer in corner stores, supermarkets, food courts and in general they don't have the problems we have with it

Why? Personally I believe because its not seen as such a big fucking deal over there. It's a drink, you drink it if you like it. Done.

In aus its like this magical fucking substance that teenagers think is so cool and awesome because its so restricted.

Sometimes you can restrict something to much and lead to consequences unintended. (this is the argument the ciggy companies are using with black market for example, which i do not agree with). I think alcohol may be just one of those things

It will never change because no politician has the guts or brains to realise that by making something seem so bad, and so restricted, people want it more and binge on it when they get it, especially during the years humans think they are invincible (Teenage years)

The UK has crazy problems with Alcohol >.>

Dead Man

Anyone that has never been to Europe cannot say AU isn't heading down a major nanny state path. I used to think that, then i went to Europe and realised AU society is fairly restricted in what it does and when.

I don't know about the rest of Europe, but drunken louts are a huge problem in the UK.

Edit: Beat like a step child.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member

[citation needed]

Choc

Banned
Im not talking about the UK as a major point. I know the UK has a big problem around alcohol as well but again they restrict it more than mainland europe.

The more you restrict something, the more humans want it. The exact same argument is being put forward right now over cannibus by the experts saying it should be decriminilised and controlled.

The citation is ive been there rez and experienced the different way of life. In the papers in the UK i didnt read about some poor kid being bashed on regent street in London after a night out like we get almost every night in Sydney due to alcohol

another one

girls not allowed to do gymnastics in the school playground anymore. Kids not allowed to play sport at lunch in case they injure themselves. Its just ridiculous.

http://inner-west-courier.whereiliv...mmoyne-public-school-bans-student-handstands/

edit2:

no ball games @ school
http://www.coffscoastindependent.com.au/story/335369/afl-slams-school-ball-sports-ban/?cs=12

edit3: and everyone running to the government every 5 fucking seconds to legislate what is in fact, common sense.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I don't think Australia's alcohol problem has much to do with how restricted it is, or a perceived glorification due to restriction, but instead a general cultural glorification of reckless drinking with little to no understanding or care for the potential consequences. If anything the laid back approach to drinking is more of a problem. Having grown up in a country town, the ambivalence and ignorance towards the consumption of alcohol and the effect it has on your body is startling.

The UK has crazy problems with Alcohol >.>
I think most places do really. We aren't really unique in that respect. I do agree that the tax really isn't working the way it was supposed to. Higher taxes aren't going to stop people drinking, especially not if you make the taxes for premixed drinks even higher (im pretty sure that was the only time Steve Fielding has been the most sensible man in the room). People with drinking problems are going to fork out as much money as they have to. I'm sure the government knows this, but no one wants to look like a fool.

Fredescu

girls not allowed to do gymnastics in the school playground anymore. Kids not allowed to play sport at lunch in case they injure themselves. Its just ridiculous.
None of those are rules made by the state, they're things those individual schools have done. Nothing at all to do with a "nanny state".

Choc

Banned
None of those are rules made by the state, they're things those individual schools have done. Nothing at all to do with a "nanny state".

the rules are being made by an authority that makes decisions for its civilization base. The school is a government of its own....

and it only takes 1 whinging parent at another school for it to spread.

and the governments should have the balls to tell schools they cannot do it. The governments control the schools don't forget.

Child obesity epidemic? Lets ban sport.

Im not talking about the UK as a major point. I know the UK has a big problem around alcohol as well but again they restrict it more than mainland europe.

That being said, I do think that the approach to alcohol is better in say Germany than it is in Australia. There beer is available from 16 onwards without parental supervision (14 onwards with supervision). From what I gather from friends that live there, the focus is more on teaching kids to make smart and informed decisions about alcohol rather then building it up to in their minds through actively restricting access.

Not sure how well such a system could work in Aus as we do have a different drinking culture, but over time such an approach would no doubt change the culture.

Jintor

I don't think Australia's alcohol problem has much to do with how restricted it is, or a perceived glorification due to restriction, but instead a general cultural glorification of reckless drinking with little to no understanding or care for the potential consequences. If anything the laid back approach to drinking is more of a problem. Having grown up in a country town, the ambivalence and ignorance towards the consumption of alcohol and the effect it has on your body is startling.

This is my view, it's not something that regulatory measures can change; it's a general cultural attitude that's Australia's problem.

jambo

Shutup you bloody unAustralian poofter!

Why? It's one of the worst drugs in terms of physical and social damage, yet it is legal whilst things like marijuana and ecstasy are not.
we just need to create better education and attitudes surrounding alcohol. But since that already seems like it's too out there, I doubt we'd ever have a government take any kind of steps to limit damage other than hurr durr taxes will fix everything.

Fredescu

the rules are being made by an authority that makes decisions for its civilization base. The school is a government of its own....
This is the longest fucking bow draw I've ever seen. Rules made by organisations which you join voluntarily have nothing to do with any nanny state.

"Nanny state" is really just a bullshit political term used by libertarians and the far right to decry regulation as such. We should all be free from the tyranny of road rules and use by dates! Fight the power!

Choc

Banned
so you guys are saying the fact you can't buy a beer with your lunch and in general you have to make an effort to go out and go to a specific place to drink doesn't mean that you over consume because you can't freely get it usually?

It's not a stretch of the imagination to think that it contributes

Choc

Banned
This is the longest fucking bow draw I've ever seen. Rules made by organisations which you join voluntarily have nothing to do with any nanny state.

"Nanny state" is really just a bullshit political term used by libertarians and the far right to decry regulation as such. We should all be free from the tyranny of road rules and use by dates! Fight the power!

Parents join schools voluntarily? Not sure if you know this fred but due to population boom you cannot send your kids to out of area anymore in general, it all gets rejected.

You go to the local school if the local school are karmichael hunts, tough, unless you want to pay a lot of money for a private

Do you honestly think the Government SHOULD NOT have the power to tell a school where to go with some of these regulations? especially state schools? of course they should.

The government is the one paying for the obesity epidemic in children, they should have wide ranging powers including telling a school that bans sport where to go to try and fix it.

I just came back from Thailand, and a bottle of beer there was $2. I had beer like I never had beers before.

And then............ back to Melbourne's winter.

(looks like spring weather is around the corner though. cross finggah~)

senahorse

Hey, we got people to wear seatbelts didn't we?

AND STACKHATS

360417941_09e3aa0504.jpg

Remember, Heroes wear helmets

Also while I am on a trip down memory lane, lets go cruisin' with spokey dokeys

1414853148_c38ed8de9f.jpg

Fredescu

Parents join schools voluntarily? Not sure if you know this fred but due to population boom you cannot send your kids to out of area anymore in general, it all gets rejected.
Generally not to public schools, but easily to private schools. In extreme circumstances you could move your kid to a different public school if you complain enough. Pretending any of this is widespread though Choc is just looney tunes territory. You're off the deep end here with this nanny state crap. I don't think you realise just how Campbell Newman the whole idea is.

Fredescu

Do you honestly think the Government SHOULD NOT have the power to tell a school where to go with some of these regulations? especially state schools? of course they should.
This is how inconsistent you are Choc. Many people would say that the government mandating what individual schools can and can't do is the very definition of a nanny state! So you think the government should have more control, not less! Which is fine if you weren't arguing the exact opposite on the same page! I'm running out of exclamation marks!

Choc

Banned
telling a school not to be a nanny state, is not being a nanny state, its allowing freedom and stopping stupid shit being employed

thats just my view, maybe im wrong but a gvt should be allowed to tell a school thats bullshit

Clipper

Hey guys, perhaps you can help Marsh and I out. We both want to make board game orders with Games Paradise, and they have announced they will hold a 30% off sale when they reach 1000 likes on Facebook. They are currently at 994, so that needs only 6 more. Anyone want to help out so we can stop waiting for this sale to start? Of course you get to participate in the sale too once they reach the level.

Here's the Facebook link for anybody interested in helping out with a Like.

senahorse

I think it came in when I was about 15 or 16, but I chose to go with a racer helmet instead, was more streamlined and didn't weigh a tonne.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom