• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 7 - We hang out IRL now and be social and shit. (Also, Adrian's Revenge)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danoss

My Mum has been in contact more recently, since my Aunt passed away and now my Gran hasn't been the best with the mini-strokes she's been having.

On top of the usual garbage, I have to hear her complain about "Oogie Boogie" (Middle Eastern) people and boat people, and how they're ruining this country (sparked by the recent protest in Sydney). I get to listen to how it isn't like that with "Australian" people.

She's an intelligent person, but damn ACA and the like does a number on people who buy into their shit. She quoted Dr Phil to me the other day, which was some icing on the cake. Shoot me please.

Yagharek

Speaking of muslims in australia, I think the issue can be distilled (settle down reptile) into two succinct points:

1. Nth generation Australians are afraid of muslims gaining political clout and bringing the bad elements of sharia over here

2. Muslims (especially younger marginalised ones with low job prospects) are experiencing severe culture shock and are at risk of going hardline if some bad eggs get their attention

The simple solution is to show both groups there is nothing to be afraid of. We aren't getting sharia, and Australia doesnt hate muslims. Just the nasty stuff done in the name of it in places at war. The corollary of this is that with sensible dialogue, people wouldnt be going out of their way to insult muslims or their holy figures, and muslims who react violently to such criticism would be educated, moderated and not do such stuff.

Wait, what did I do? Oh. An alcohol reference. Took a while to click. Now I'm thirsty :(

You know what? Fuck conservative politicians. Wasn't Gillard supposed to be all for it as well?

I just... there are no words. Fuck them all.
GIllard has never been for it. At least they allowed their politicians to vote from their heart rather than not at all, like the Liberals.

My Mum has been in contact more recently, since my Aunt passed away and now my Gran hasn't been the best with the mini-strokes she's been having.

On top of the usual garbage, I have to hear her complain about "Oogie Boogie" (Middle Eastern) people and boat people, and how they're ruining this country (sparked by the recent protest in Sydney). I get to listen to how it isn't like that with "Australian" people.

She's an intelligent person, but damn ACA and the like does a number on people who buy into their shit. She quoted Dr Phil to me the other day, which was some icing on the cake. Shoot me please.
See, this is my issue. Why are people and corporations like ACA allowed to lie and deceive the public like this? This is one thing the government SHOULD knuckle down on. If those that portray themselves as informative news outlets don't tell us the truth and don't misinform us then they should be shot out of a fucking cannon into the sun while bees bite their bottoms.

It's hard enough to take in enough information to consider yourself an informed member of society without being feed straight up fucking lies and bullshit that leads to you making misinformed decisions and opinions! This is how you get innocent people killed for fucks sake!

Nice to hear she is in contact though Danoss, also nice to see some happy posts about the boardgames, ignore the negativity that sometimes pops up in here.
Any chance of a recommendation for a low cost entry to boardgames for me and the wife? I know she would love to spend more time with me and I can't stand any of her television programs so we need to find a common ground somewhere.

Yagharek

Oh yeah, and I trod on a snake at work today. Only a small 20cm long guarda or something. He was ok, I knew he was living around the area for a few weeks. Poor thing. I only noticed when he decided to arc up and wiggle around at me threatening style. Looked like a little muppet worm from sesame street or something.

I just hope I dont do the same to a tiger or mulga snake.

edit: holy shit, Halo 4 has EIGHT different retail exclusive editions in the UK. Fucking hell. Shaneus, you ordering them all?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
See, this is my issue. Why are people and corporations like ACA allowed to lie and deceive the public like this? This is one thing the government SHOULD knuckle down on. If those that portray themselves as informative news outlets don't tell us the truth and don't misinform us then they should be shot out of a fucking cannon into the sun while bees bite their bottoms.

The government also sent us into a war to murder Muslims over an outrageous, blatant lie that has been quickly forgotten by the general public. Like, nobody cares any more, that we were bullshitted into paying trained killers to unlawfully invade a country and shoot people.

ACA is a brilliant political tool for fear mongering bullshit, whether it be boat people stealing our jobs, evil Islam threatening the Australian way of life, Melbourne CBD the war zone, or whatever other shit the government wants you to be afraid of.

midonnay

Turnbull is clearly all for Pro Marriage for gay and lesbian couples, but his party doesn't allow him to actually do what HE thinks is right. What's the point of being a member of parliment if you can't do what you think is the right way to go? The party system seems so broken.

The Libs don't actually punish conscience votes...... Turnbull is free to vote as he pleases. Abbott may threaten.....but several in the party have crossed the floor before in recent times with regards to.... asylum seekers?

I imagine he still holds hope of winning leadership one day so he's keeping his powder dry by not seeming disloyal.

Yagharek

Oh fuck

http://members.iinet.net.au/~bush/nuchal.html

It's one of those snakes

Gwardar or Western Brown Snake
(Pseudonaja mengdeni)

A dangerously venomous snake with tremendous variation in colour and pattern - some colour morphs are illustrated below. This snake is very abundant in close proximity to human dwellings and is involved in most snakebite deaths in Western Australia (seven of last eleven fatalities attributed to snakes as at Jan. 2011).

The government also sent us into a war to murder Muslims over an outrageous, blatant lie that has been quickly forgotten by the general public. Like, nobody cares any more, that we were bullshitted into paying trained killers to unlawfully invade a country and shoot people.
At least the Poms made a half arsed effort recently to ask some questions of how everything when down over there. Just easier for everyone to pretend it didn't happen that way it seems :(

Danoss you'll be simultaneously happy and disappointed to learn I ordered just Pandemic and Carcassonne from gamesparadise (so thanks to you and Clipper for pimping the sale).

I found Memoir '44 is free to play on Steam so I figured I can have a taste of that for nothing before I drop some cash, and when I pointed Dominion and Summoner Wars out to the wife she scoffed at the thought of some sort of card game (she used to play Magic but she couldn't be pursuaded... yet).

Also you may recall discussing whiskey glasses a while back, I'm drinking this:
The_Balvenie_The_Balvenie_Doublewood_12_Year_Old_12_.jpg

From one of these:
glass_ron1.jpg

Shaneus

Fuck I hate being in my parent's house when anything political is happening.
It's been about a month straight
OH I GET IT

And guys, apparently Stella Artois is on sale at Aldi tomorrow, $30 a slab. I've never tried it before but that seems cheap for imported piss.

Robomodo should be fired out of a cannon for their effort on THPS HD for PC.
Outputs at 1280x720.
Zero resolution options.
Zero graphical options whatsoever.
Zero music playlist options whatsoever.
The fuck. Dark Souls again. But with a much smaller game. The fuck.

In better news To The Moon is only $4 on GOG right now! Go buy!

And guys, apparently Stella Artois is on sale at Aldi tomorrow, $30 a slab. I've never tried it before but that seems cheap for imported piss.
Quality beer at that price. Used to love drinking it on tap at Room 99 back in the goode olde dayse in Uni. Stella schooner glasses. Wish I flogged some. :(

Danoss

It's hard enough to take in enough information to consider yourself an informed member of society without being feed straight up fucking lies and bullshit that leads to you making misinformed decisions and opinions! This is how you get innocent people killed for fucks sake!

100% agree man. So much misinformation and exaggeration on the wrong areas of the news. If it'll get people angry, they'll do a story on it. Even the "news" on commercial stations is struggling to present much in the way of meaningful, important stories.

My 87 year old Gran was angry about Twitter and thought it should be shut down. That's the type of shit they're capable of. It does need to stop, but as long as they don't push themselves as a serious news show (they don't do they? Didn't they just change into the steaming pile of shit that they are over time, and no one noticed?) they'll continue to get away with it.

When was the last interview any of those shows did that was meaningful? The last interview I remember (that wasn't con-man #16554248 evading them on the street) was Tracey Grimshaw interviewing Gordon Ramsay, wow, cracking stuff there. Of course that blew up and was made to be a bigger deal than it should have been. People of importance wouldn't be caught dead on those shows now.

Nice to hear she is in contact though Danoss, also nice to see some happy posts about the boardgames, ignore the negativity that sometimes pops up in here.
Any chance of a recommendation for a low cost entry to boardgames for me and the wife? I know she would love to spend more time with me and I can't stand any of her television programs so we need to find a common ground somewhere.

I'm in two minds about being back in contact with her, but I'll see how it goes.

Loving the board games, and I'm glad some more people are taking an interest in them, no matter how minor. It brings a smile to my face. I'm trying my best to shut out the negativity; I haven't arced up, so I think I'm doing alright.

Now for a nice entry into the hobby for the both of you that's cheap too... Two player games are tough, as there aren't a whole lot that stick out in my mind that aren't a bit overwhelming to new players.

Omi would probably mention Lost Cities as a good starter. If he did, based on only what I've heard and read from other people, I'd be inclined to agree with him. It's a card game, but them and board games tend to get lumped in together. Being cooperative, I think it might be more attractive to the wife as something different, rather than something competitive would. Omi could fill in some more blanks for you and make some more informed recommendations, I suggest hitting him up on twitter.

If Lost Cities ends up being for you. It's $28.00 + postage at Milsims or Games Empire, and $26.57 + postage at Games Paradise with the coupon code 'FB1K' (it'd work out around about the same price, no matter which of these places you bought it from).

If you want something competitive, Summoner Wars is a neat card game, where you battle it out. The rules are simple (they fit on a small page with large text) so it's easy to learn, and you can find new ways to improve how you play. A cheap way to start would be the a starter set, like Phoenix Elves vs Tundra Orcs, which you can find at Milsims for $28.00 + postage or Games Paradise for $24.47 + postage with coupon code 'FB1K'.

I've got The Castles of Burgundy on the way, which is meant to be excellent and very wife-friendly. I can't confirm until I've had the chance to play it. It's a bit more at around the $50 mark. I can speak more once I've gotten the chance to play it.

Sorry I'm not much help, I've just been scouting out some two player games lately myself. I haven't been looking at beginner-friendly ones, unfortunately.

Danoss you'll be simultaneously happy and disappointed to learn I ordered just Pandemic and Carcassonne from gamesparadise (so thanks to you and Clipper for pimping the sale).

I found Memoir '44 is free to play on Steam so I figured I can have a taste of that for nothing before I drop some cash, and when I pointed Dominion and Summoner Wars out to the wife she scoffed at the thought of some sort of card game (she used to play Magic but she couldn't be pursuaded... yet).

I'm nothing but happy for you, I think you'll have a great time with the games you bought. You've gotta start somewhere, and you've started with a couple of gems.

Good call on Memoir '44, I forgot all about the online thing they have.

Shame about the card games though. Summoner Wars is like Magic in a way, but totally different in others, including it's not collectible; which is good, because I hate collectible card games. Dominion is god-like, it invented a genre all its own when it came out and is like nothing else. I have confidence you can wear her down.

Also you may recall discussing whiskey glasses a while back, I'm drinking this:

(The Balvenie DoubleWood)

From one of these:

(Nice glass)

Do tell what you think of the scotch, I've been wanting to try it at some point in time. Also, how the glass alters your drinking experience.

Whoa. Biggest post I've ever made, I think.

Omi would probably mention Lost Cities as a good starter. If he did, based on only what I've heard and read from other people, I'd be inclined to agree with him. It's a card game, but them and board games tend to get lumped in together. Being cooperative, I think it might be more attractive to the wife as something different, rather than something competitive would. Omi could fill in some more blanks for you and make some more informed recommendations, I suggest hitting him up on twitter.

If Lost Cities ends up being for you. It's $28.00 + postage at Milsims or Games Empire, and $26.57 + postage at Games Paradise with the coupon code 'FB1K' (it'd work out around about the same price, no matter which of these places you bought it from).

If you want something competitive, Summoner Wars is a neat card game, where you battle it out. The rules are simple (they fit on a small page with large text) so it's easy to learn, and you can find new ways to improve how you play. A cheap way to start would be the a starter set, like Phoenix Elves vs Tundra Orcs, which you can find at Milsims for $28.00 + postage or Games Paradise for $24.47 + postage with coupon code 'FB1K'.

I've got The Castles of Burgundy on the way, which is meant to be excellent and very wife-friendly. I can't confirm until I've had the chance to play it. It's a bit more at around the $50 mark. I can speak more once I've gotten the chance to play it.

Awesome! I'm going to hit up that Shut UP & Sit Down place you have talked about in the past for some visual preview of them and I will probably one tonight.

Double-check it is actually the imported stuff, since Stella is also brewed under license in Australia and the Australian-made stuff is not nearly as good as the imported.

Any chance of a recommendation for a low cost entry to boardgames for me and the wife? I know she would love to spend more time with me
Last year I bought Ticket to Ride: Nordic Countries at the recommendations of a few chaps in here and the wife and I really enjoyed it. Neither of us had really played anything other than the standard Monopoly, et al.

I just ordered Pandemic and Carcassonne today too, they're both inexpensive as far as board games go. Pandemic is co-op which I thought would be a great change of pace.

I'm nothing but happy for you, I think you'll have a great time with the games you bought. You've gotta start somewhere, and you've started with a couple of gems.
Yeah I thought going for the big names that I've heard of would be the best bet. Figured I've probably heard of them for a reason.

Shame about the card games though. Summoner Wars is like Magic in a way, but totally different in others, including it's not collectible; which is good, because I hate collectible card games. Dominion is god-like, it invented a genre all its own when it came out and is like nothing else.
Yeah Dominion in particular did look quite fun, and she was wavering on that one but I think two for now will be enough for us given we're not big on them yet.

I have confidence you can wear her down.
Well hey, I got her to marry me, so we already know that tactic works!

Do tell what you think of the scotch, I've been wanting to try it at some point in time. Also, how the glass alters your drinking experience.
I don't mind the Double Wood actually, it's on the richer side and I tend to prefer the rich ones (not nearly as much as the Aberlour, nom nom) to the smokey ones. How the glass is working out I couldn't say since I've not had enough. Perhaps a nice excuse to drink more.

Awesome! I'm going to hit up that Shut UP & Sit Down place you have talked about in the past for some visual preview of them and I will probably one tonight.
Watched a few of their reviews today, they're quite likeable and clearly massive board game fans. Their passion is infectious.

Yagharek

Re6 demo. So bad.

I played the Leon demo last night. Not too bad. A bit lite on tension, a bit loose on the camera controls and lots of identical corridors, but it was ok. Not bad or enough to disuade from a purchase.

I played the Chris demo tonight. Why the fuck did they make it bad like Uncharted 3? Shit aiming, shit enemies, shit shooting, shit cover shooting with a broken cover mechanic, shit motion blur, shit weapons, shit AI partners, shit scenario, shit monster like shitty Resistance 2 and shit tank drivers who decided to run over me backwards.

Also, aside from the enemies who turn into flesh shields, how the fuck do you tell who is an enemy or not?

Resident Evil used to be good (until 5). Now its just shit like Call of Gears: Drake's Fall of Man

At least Revelaitons is good. And RE4 has infinite replayability.

Welcome stranger. What're ya buyin?

Sure as shit not fuckin RE6.

midonnay

eh, cobras are all bluff.

yeah, but I was a little kid....and I stepped right on him >_<

so my advice would be

1) don't step on the snake.....he might get alittle annoyed.

2) try to get bit after he's eaten.... less likely to have dangerous amounts of venom apparently.

good luck :)

(my granddad killed the bastard good though...)

edit: oh shit...you did step on the snake.....

Hmm Lost Cities is out of stock at Games Paradise, is Milsims good? Might pick up Lost Cities or Pandemic first up, then grab Summoner Wars once the wife is into the idea (looks awesome but I don't want to scare her off!).

Can't seem to get that code to work with Pandemic :/

Danoss

I don't mind the Double Wood actually, it's on the richer side and I tend to prefer the rich ones (not nearly as much as the Aberlour, nom nom) to the smokey ones. How the glass is working out I couldn't say since I've not had enough. Perhaps a nice excuse to drink more.

I think the most noticeable thing would be the aroma. I find it's a lot stronger and easier to get to than a glass tumbler.

Hmm Lost Cities is out of stock at Games Paradise, is Milsims good? Might pick up Lost Cities or Pandemic first up, then grab Summoner Wars once the wife is into the idea (looks awesome but I don't want to scare her off!).

Milsims is fine, I've just had them be a bit slow processing my order on a few occasions. One of those times was just one too many for me. Given the choice, I go to Games Empire, because they're fast, cheap and local. You might prefer buying in your state, which is perfectly understandable.

Both those games should be a good start, and I'm sure you'll both have a great time.

Rlan

So I've thought to pick up my Mum a Kindle for her birthday. She likes books and this would be great for her. What's the best one to get for her, and what prices am I looking at? Seems difficult to look for one online -- can I go to JB or something?

Also, do they use the Amazon Store? So it's all in American dollars, or do they have an AU store?

Choc

Banned
So I've thought to pick up my Mum a Kindle for her birthday. She likes books and this would be great for her. What's the best one to get for her, and what prices am I looking at? Seems difficult to look for one online -- can I go to JB or something?

Also, do they use the Amazon Store? So it's all in American dollars, or do they have an AU store?

USD

this is a good thing because of no price gouging

Yagharek

OK, so Resident Evil 6.

Just played the third act in the demo with Jake.

Played all 3 now. Game is completely and utterly shit. I'm offended they even thought it was worth releasing.

Safeway has had the Keyboard model (which we have got) for as low as $40 recently. Not refurbs either!

Shaneus

Double-check it is actually the imported stuff, since Stella is also brewed under license in Australia and the Australian-made stuff is not nearly as good as the imported.
Would make sense that it is... I don't think I've seen a single thing (short of the produce) made in Australia that they sell in Aldi. Someone at work mentioned it could've been made in NZ. Is that as good as if it was imported from Europe, or just as bad as the Aussie one?

Danoss

The new Kindle Paperwhite comes out in about a month. $139 + $40 for leather cover + postage. Built in light and longer life battery. That's from Amazon. Dick Smith sells the Kindle now too, though not too sure when they'll have the Paperwhite model available. It might be worth looking into.

There is an AU Kindle book store on Amazon, but its selection is pitiful in some areas. You're best off choosing the US store and buying from there. US dollars always, either way.

I've been looking to upgrade at some point and I'm glad I waited. This new Kindle looks fantastic. I think your Mum will like it.

Edit: SHIT! US only at this point it seems. The standard Kindle is still really nice, but damn that new model added some wonderful upgrades.

Aldi usually get cheap import stock not the local brewed stuff. It will be import, even Dan Murphys gets the import stuff in to sell at the same price as the local brew now (it is actually a dollar cheaper on their website!)

Salazar

I've been looking to upgrade at some point and I'm glad I waited. This new Kindle looks fantastic. I think your Mum will like it.

Yeah, it's going to be sweet.

I was going to get it, but I lack patience and I grabbed a new iPad. Amazong should have let me preorder.

Danoss

Yeah, it's going to be sweet.

I was going to get it, but I lack patience and I grabbed a new iPad. Amazong should have let me preorder.

Patience would have done wonders. Though who knows when this model will be available to the rest of the world, I was crestfallen when I discovered it's currently US only.

I don't care what anyone says, an iPad or any other tablet are terrible as a reading device. They're nifty for a whole bunch of things, but I can't stand to read on them for very long; the backlight becomes like a burning fire trying to destroy my eyeballs.

Salazar

Mmm. I have a first-gen Kindle. The amount of reading-for-pleasure I manage to do has declined pretty sharply, though, so my eyes are safe-ish.

Deeku

Ugh I bought sooo many japanese snacks but I've already eaten half of them:/

Yo Jint, are you at uni this friday? I'm back tomorrow and have friday off so I can deliver your vita!...if you still want it ;)

Hey Deek

http://www.mrporter.com/product/319244

I'm blazered out for a little while, but this is nice.
I like the different buttons detail.

I didn't end up getting my blazer. Bought a couple of casual button down shirts, few pairs of jeans and a pair of suede boots. Also went and bought like 5 uniqlo hoodies lol.

Shaneus

Reasons why you should see Tetsuya Mizuguchi talk:

*He's a cool looking dude:
200px-Tetsuya_Mizuguchi.jpg

*He was behind Lumines,
*Rez,
*Every Extend Extra,
*Sega Rally Championship,
*Space Channel 5,
*Meteos and of course
*Child of Eden.
*He's also the main creative mind behind Genki Rockets (whom featured exclusively in Child of Eden)

Genuinely surprised I'm the only GAFfer going to it. You people are weird. Tickets are $20, you can still buy them from the ACMI website. Starts at 6:15pm tomorrow (Thursday).

I can't fucking wait. As far as music and aesthetics in modern games, he's definitely one of my all-time favourite developers.

Edit: He's also done a TED talk, which I had no idea about. Could be an interesting watch, regardless of whether you go tomorrow or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom