• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 7 - We hang out IRL now and be social and shit. (Also, Adrian's Revenge)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rezbit

Wow, he's in Melbourne? Didn't even know, I'd be all over that if I was there. $20 is a bargain. Seems to speak English really well.

Played and enjoyed most of his games, but I actually found Child of Eden a bit much for the 5 minutes I played.

Shaneus

Reposting for new page :D

Reasons why you should see Tetsuya Mizuguchi talk:

*He's a cool looking dude:
200px-Tetsuya_Mizuguchi.jpg

*He was behind Lumines,
*Rez,
*Every Extend Extra,
*Sega Rally Championship,
*Space Channel 5,
*Meteos and of course
*Child of Eden.
*He's also the main creative mind behind Genki Rockets (whom featured exclusively in Child of Eden)

Genuinely surprised I'm the only GAFfer going to it. You people are weird. Tickets are $20, you can still buy them from the ACMI website. Starts at 6:15pm tomorrow (Thursday).

I can't fucking wait. As far as music and aesthetics in modern games, he's definitely one of my all-time favourite developers.

Edit: He's also done a TED talk, which I had no idea about. Could be an interesting watch, regardless of whether you go tomorrow or not.

Wow, he's in Melbourne? Didn't even know, I'd be all over that if I was there. $20 is a bargain. Seems to speak English really well.

Played and enjoyed most of his games, but I actually found Child of Eden a bit much for the 5 minutes I played.
Yeah, to be honest if I hadn't signed up for the ACMI newsletter (I think the last time a game expo was out here, actually) I'd never have known. It was by chance I'd heard that Tim Schafer and someone else (gah, can't remember his name... did Epic Mickey) were doing a talk, let alone hearing Mizuguchi was doing one quite some time later (I think it's been almost two months since Tim was here?). At least he's here, though. His titles pretty much embody the true sense of "audio-visual" more than anyone else currently in the industry and deserves massive points for continuing to integrate sound and visual elements so closely in his games. Being someone who's very much into electronic music and how it integrates with games (especially Rez... I'm yet to see a game do it so perfectly) I'm just super pumped.

I'll try and take as many notes and maybe even record audio with my phone if I can, if anything interesting pops up. I honestly can't say that I'd have anything for him to sign of any significance (never did find a boxed DC copy of Rez :( ) but hopefully there'll be some merchandise of some kind. I'm guessing I'm not going to be the biggest fanboy there, though... some of those weird Japanophiles are nuts for the Genki Rockets-style music!

Danoss

This is for those that recently ordered board games, and perhaps to some experienced board gamers who might not be aware.

This guy makes some awesome rules summary/reference sheets for some board games. It makes it nice and easy to check out some rules at a glance, especially for those bloated behemoth Fantasy Flight rulebooks, since they're presented in a clear and concise manner.

Here's a link to the Lost Cities and Pandemic PDF's for the recent buyers.

Jintor

Borderlands two launch party. Surprising amount of non facing related persons. Met a cute chick. All good.

Currently drink as hell. Brain swirling. I have kebab and I don't remember why.

Borderlands two launch party. Surprising amount of non facing related persons. Met a cute chick. All good.

Currently drink as hell. Brain swirling. I have kebab and I don't remember why.

maaaaaaan I want a kebab. and a drink. and a launch party.

Boyfriend is trying to rope me into playing borderlands now and what seems to be all through the night. =/

Good luck with said lady!

maaaaaaan I want a kebab. and a drink. and a launch party.

Boyfriend is trying to rope me into playing borderlands now and what seems to be all through the night. =/

Good luck with said lady!

my copy is maybe not even in queensland yet
i will check the post box at 930
jintor does sound drink
i also had a kebab

Clipper

SydGAF, I had another idea about board game venues. Once we have our other venue/s figured out, what if we do the meetups fortnightly, but switch between East and West/North each time, so you only have a long distance to travel every second time we meet? That way, we can make this thing regular and people shouldn't get sick of traveling as much...

Shaneus

I don't live anywhere near Melbourne Shaneus, you know that :/
I know :( It was more a call out to other MelbGAF folk who I know exist and should go. But I guess they're too busy playing their RPGs to go see a designer talk about games that do something other than focus on loot collecting ;)

Jintor

Honestly, clip, I might just bail on board games altogether. I don't think I enjoy it as much as you guys seem to, and the cost/benefit ratio is out of whack to me.

Raxum

Urgh, I am not having any luck with game releases lately. Going by my current track record, I might be able to play Borderlands 2 in about 3 weeks. Doesn't do anything after preparing to launch, verifying game cache comes up with 1 file failed and downloads it, every time, tried re-installing all my .NET packages and VCredist files, and directX. Tried un-installing and re-downloading the whole game. I am at a loss. Might just have to wait it out and see if whatever it is gets patched.

The only games I've played that Mizuguchi's made are Sega Rally and Child of Eden, and I didn't "get" Child of Eden so seeing him talk is probably wasted on me...

Also I want a kebab.

Also also last call to AusGAF for anyone wanting on in a Torchlight II 4-pack.

Also also also Games Paradise just refunded the difference for the mistake with Pandemic. The cynic in me wonders whether they purposefully left a few games without the discount active to catch people out.

Wait, you have to pay to plead guilty? That doesn't seem right. :/

Also also also Games Paradise just refunded the difference for the mistake with Pandemic. The cynic in me wonders whether they purposefully left a few games without the discount active to catch people out.
I'll shoot them a quick email today then, just to make 100% sure they will refund me.

Urgh, I am not having any luck with game releases lately. Going by my current track record, I might be able to play Borderlands 2 in about 3 weeks. Doesn't do anything after preparing to launch, verifying game cache comes up with 1 file failed and downloads it, every time, tried re-installing all my .NET packages and VCredist files, and directX. Tried un-installing and re-downloading the whole game. I am at a loss. Might just have to wait it out and see if whatever it is gets patched.

If you choose to repair the .net package later you should be able to start the game on your first go.

Shaneus

The only games I've played that Mizuguchi's made are Sega Rally and Child of Eden, and I didn't "get" Child of Eden so seeing him talk is probably wasted on me...
You are a bad person and you should feel bad.

Actually (and no offence intended) you don't strike me as the sort of dude who gets involved with games that place heavy emphasis on things like how visual aesthetics integrate with sound design. There's nothing wrong with that, but you'd be more likely to get something out of a talk by Will Wright than Mizuguchi :)

The only person in AusGAF that springs to mind (at least, immediately) is reptile, which is why it sucks he can't go :(

True on both accounts (OK, maybe all three, I am a bad person). When at the Game Masters expo I could've just sat down all day with the design document from The Sims. I'm more interested in how systems and mechanics work than creating an interesting visual and aural experience.

Somebody really needs to offer me a job in Melbourne. Sooner rather than later.
I get to work in the hustle and bustle, which I like.
The wife gets to live out in Lara so it is only 20 minutes into Geelong, less than an hour into Melbourne for work and hangouts, which I like.
We get out of Warrnambool and I get out of this depressing job, which I like.
Win win.

Clipper

They didn't. They had blocked games that were already on sale from being eligible. Unfortunately, in doing so, they also blocked games that had been on sale recently in the past. At least, that's what their Facebook explanation was, and it makes sense.

Shaneus

Somebody really needs to offer me a job in Melbourne. Sooner rather than later.
I get to work in the hustle and bustle, which I like.
The wife gets to live out in Lara so it is only 20 minutes into Geelong, less than an hour into Melbourne for work and hangouts, which I like.
We get out of Warrnambool and I get out of this depressing job, which I like.
Win win.
Mizuguchi. Like.

Raxum

If you choose to repair the .net package later you should be able to start the game on your first go.

It doesn't even ask me any of that. If I verify the files it does a "Completing Installation" and then prepares to launch, then just disappears, otherwise it just Prepares to launch and then disappears. Even when I deleted local files and re-downloaded it.

It doesn't even ask me any of that. If I verify the files it does a "Completing Installation" and then prepares to launch, then just disappears, otherwise it just Prepares to launch and then disappears. Even when I deleted local files and re-downloaded it.

at least you have your game. :(
mine has been kidnapped by auspost
they are demanding a ransom of 24 hours or more

Raxum

at least you have your game. :(
mine has been kidnapped by auspost
they are demanding a ransom of 24 hours or more

Damn, that sucks. Stupid Auspost. Hopefully it works for you when you get it.

Maybe I should get Torchlight 2 instead, the beta for it worked fine on my PC...

legend166

So I've got Borderlands 2 sitting on Steam at home, Torchlight 2 ready to be unlocked, and no time to play any of them because my weekend is packed.

Only a few hours until Torchlight 2 unlocks! Tempted to take tomorrow off and game it away.

It's my son's birthday this weekend but hey, Torchlight 2! He will understand!

EDIT: Work just added JB Hifi to the 5% discount list. YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS...

jambo

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2012/09/so...l-reverses-decision-to-abolish-ma15-category/

After all Attorneys-General agreed to implement an R18+ rating for video games in principal last year, South Australian AG John Rau stated that he fully intended to remove the MA15+ classification entirely, meaning that all games classified under that rating would be given R18+ stickers in South Australia, and only sold to adults.

But now, after seeing the final classification guidelines, he’s reversed his decision, and is happy to support both an R18+ and MA15+ category.

Huzzah!

Shaneus

you jerk where were you went me ham and orbi needed more people.
i dont really think your a jerk
Let's completely fucking forget the fact that I was looking for people for WEEKS to join my four-pack. Apparently now it's cool to preorder a game merely hours before it comes out, rather than months.

tsk tsk

I had a few people who wanted the game at the same time and IIRC you were only looking for one by the time I knew about it, and I didn't want to leave them in the lurch.

Also I hadn't come to a decision whether to buy it or not until yesterday!

Let's completely fucking forget the fact that I was looking for people for WEEKS to join my four-pack. Apparently now it's cool to preorder a game merely hours before it comes out, rather than months.

tsk tsk
i was waiting for runic to sell it
then for a bit i thought it was steamworks anyway and said might as well get it now
im probabaly getting it twice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom