• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 7 - We hang out IRL now and be social and shit. (Also, Adrian's Revenge)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jambo

Nothing against Good Game personally, but if I ever see another "By X, for X" tagline for anything EVER, I'll fucking murder bitches.

Plus, I'm pretty sure The Zone already used "By gamers, for gamers".

Eh, I don't really care.*

*This post was made by a gamer, for gamers.

Shaneus

Almost top-of-page post: New Idle Thumbs is out! I'm too lazy to create a thread or even link to it, but it should be good.

New Thumbs plus Mizuguchi talk? Yep.

Cohsae

Is ASOS good stuff? I don't really buy clothes much but I seem to have some discount stuff I should use with them.

They run a good store, pretty quick shipping, good customer service. As for the clothes, I'd stick clear of the ASOS branded stuff if you want something nice, seems a bit cheap and nasty.

markot

Banned
Labor senator John Hogg is also the President of the Senate and rarely speaks during debates on legislation, but today he too declared his opposition to changing marriage laws.

"I have a deep-seated belief that marriage is between a man and a woman exclusively," he said.

"I utterly reject the offensive language of some of those supporting the bill that people who share my views are discriminatory or homophobic.

"This is absolutely nonsense of the first order and is a desperate resort to try and isolate those who don't share their views."

lol

Raxum

WOOT! After nearly 2 hours of sifting through everything for Borderlands 2 I finally got it working! On that note, anyone who has issues with it and has a gigabyte motherboard(of the Z77 chipset) should un-install Virtu MVP. I un-installed it and Borderlands 2 launched perfectly fine after that.

Dead Man

We could definitely do RadGAF, finally!

I'll possibly be in Sydney for Radiohead around the 12th, but I should be free other than that.

booked flights to Adelaide :) (instead of korea)

i just had too much fun there last weekend back at home.

Adelgaf meet up some where early nov?
Yeah, I'd be down. There's like 5 of us now isn't there?

Nothing against Good Game personally, but if I ever see another "By X, for X" tagline for anything EVER, I'll fucking murder bitches.

So, so used up.

This is exactly what I was saying yesterday. There is no leftist, socially progressive option within the current system. Just two flavours of right wing nonsense.

Sad truth here.

Fredescu

Can someone remind me of the downsides of iPads?

Wife wants a 10" tablet with 3G and it seems like the iPad is still way better than anything else out there. The ASUS TF700T looks fucking sweet, but no 3G. The TF300T does have 3G, but it's pretty low res. The Samsungs look pretty ho hum. The Kindle Fire's look interesting, but that's a custom OS that locks you into buying Amazon stuff right? Kinda don't want to wait for the Surface.

It's been a while since my iPod touch died, so I forgotten some of the annoyances with Apple stuff. I assume I can't upgrade the storage, and I assume I have to use non standard plugs and such. Can you use an iPad without ever having to touch iTunes?

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Beers at the elephant? Or if you're not lazy fuckers I'll have the house to myself on the weekend of the 10th for boardgames or god knows what! (in stirling)

Almost top-of-page post: New Idle Thumbs is out! I'm too lazy to create a thread or even link to it, but it should be good.
Can't believe they didn't know what a funicular is.

Wife wants a 10" tablet with 3G and it seems like the iPad is still way better than anything else out there.
iPads are by far the best 10" hardware, and the iPad 3 is easily the best, hardware-wise. If it's for a non-tech person who just wants the regular stuff (browsing, email, simple games) then it's probably the best tablet to buy. Given I'm a big fan of the Nexus 7 and almost never use my 10" TouchPad or work-provided iPad 3 since I got it, I'd ask if she's completely sure she wants a 10".

Oh, also I don't think I've used iTunes at all with this iPad except to transfer music onto it, and you can opt out of iTunes managing the library so in essence it's the program you open to drag and drop stuff onto the iPad. But yes you probably need iTunes.

Yagharek

They lost me a long time ago, but the "emotional gaming focus" of late is so eye-rollingly pretentious its nauseating.

Fredescu

If it's for a non-tech person who just wants the regular stuff
She's not really non-tech. She's sort of resistant to the idea of Apple stuff for the same reason I am, poor connectivity to other things. I do think the iPad is the best option at the moment, but I would find myself in the position of having to convince someone to buy an Apple product who is inclined against it. Which would feel pretty weird.

I'd ask if she's completely sure she wants a 10".
Have done! Also the Nexus is wifi only still.

Oh, also I don't think I've used iTunes at all with this iPad except to transfer music onto it, and you can opt out of iTunes managing the library so in essence it's the program you open to drag and drop stuff onto the iPad. But yes you probably need iTunes.
Can you buy, download, and install apps and content directly over the air without needing iTunes? Is there still the problem where you can only partner your device with one PC at a time?

Wife wants a 10" tablet with 3G and it seems like the iPad is still way better than anything else out there. The ASUS TF700T looks fucking sweet, but no 3G. The TF300T does have 3G, but it's pretty low res. The Samsungs look pretty ho hum. The Kindle Fire's look interesting, but that's a custom OS that locks you into buying Amazon stuff right? Kinda don't want to wait for the Surface.

It's been a while since my iPod touch died, so I forgotten some of the annoyances with Apple stuff. I assume I can't upgrade the storage, and I assume I have to use non standard plugs and such. Can you use an iPad without ever having to touch iTunes?

If your wife can settle for a smaller screen, there is nothing better than the Nexus 7 tablet.

The biggest downside of the ipad is the price.

Yagharek

Suddenly Metal Gear Rising looks amazing. All you Platinum Games fans get hyped.

Shaneus doesnt care about Platinum otherwise he would have let us all know.

Anyway yes, great trailer. Looks like they might be setting up Raiden as a future Big Boss antihero?

midonnay

meh, is 3g really that important?

Hook it to the phone or get a 4g hotspot

The price difference should make up for it

Optus plans are competitive

Like 35 bucks for five gigs (or was it ten...)

I was about to mention tethering as an option. I used my Nexus 7 with a Galaxy Nexus hotspot on a drive recently and it works fine. Benefit is that it's on the same bill. Drawback is two devices drain battery faster.

midonnay

Screen-Shot-2012-09-03-at-1.17.42-PM.png

As long as the phones screen is off it shouldn't be all that bad right?
Sure, but it's using both 3G and wireless so it will still drain faster than if you just had a single device. If it's for a commute to/from work and you got, say, two days from a phone normally I'd say it will probably cut it down to a single day. Really hard to know though since it'd depend on your reception a lot.

With the amount of crap she lugs with her already, I think carrying around extra shit wouldn't be well received.
A 7" tab is probably a much better option then! The Nexus 7 is about half the weight of the iPad and in my opinion much easier to use for long periods of time.

midonnay

Over here? I heard they have started rolling it out for the US, and that too for wifi models only.

Cheap but the network is no good. Even in the CBD it's hard to get decent 3G coverage under optus/virgin.

This is lte

Altough its using 1800mhz spectrum so coverage isn,t as extensive or wall penetrating as next years lte

Edit

Only in sydney newcastle perth and melbourne atm

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Anyone in melbgaf wanna see Wolf Children with me this sunday in cinema nova, carlton at 12:30 PM?!

You have a one-time chance to meet my sister!

Edit - She's 19 by the way.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
MGR: Revengeance GOTY 2013 forever.

Unless The Wonderful 101 tops it. Or Bayonetta 2 gets released.

A TOUGH YEAR FOR PLATINUM.

Man

Hi everyone,
Moved to Melbourne from Norway a few months back and looking to expand my social circle. Will start hanging in this thread and will join in on RL stuff whenever possible. IT guy that's pretty much up for anything.

Edit: at the Curtin on Lygon street listening to a friend + band play tonight.

Fogz

Hi everyone,
Moved to Melbourne from Norway a few months back and looking to expand my social circle. Will start hanging in this thread and will join in on RL stuff whenever possible. IT guy that's pretty much up for anything.

Welcome Mr Man! :)

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Hi everyone,

welcome!

October 6th is the next melbgaf meet up!

no plans yet, but you're very very welcome to join. Closer to the date i'll start posting daily updates about where / when and who's going!

Ydahs

So I'm being told it may not be a wise move to be around the CBD this Sunday, but I need to if I want to get to Uni. Are things really expected to get out of hand?

Hi everyone,

Welcome! You've chosen wisely. How are you finding Melbourne?

Man

Melb is the greatest. Always something to offer. Actually studied at RMIT in 2006-2008 before returning to Norway (working as a software developer for a couple of years). I had to come back.

Yagharek

So I'm being told it may not be a wise move to be around the CBD this Sunday, but I need to if I want to get to Uni. Are things really expected to get out of hand?

If you're worried about being profiled (melbourne? or sydney?) find a friend who has a hawks or swans jumper and that might help. I dont think you should have to do it, but if youre worried about being singled out, it might be worth considering.

Welcome! You've chosen wisely. How are you finding Melbourne?
Most protests have been quashed so I doubt there will be much happening hut travel with a friend and try to spend as little time as possible out in the street just in case.

Quick mods, tag Shaneus with something about this.

I think the iPad is pretty much your only bet for 3G.
I've got a Fire, well its my dad but I've pretty much stolen it, and it's fine but I just use it for internet browsing in bed/on couch. I commute exactly never so it's fine for that. Definitely upgrading to a Surface unless they turn out to suck.
Suddenly Metal Gear Rising looks amazing. All you Platinum Games fans get hyped.

Man I was not hyped before but that trailer looks rad. It's barely a Metal Gear game though. Seems a bit tacked on, but whatever, game looks rad as shit.

Melb is the greatest. Always something to offer. Actually studied at RMIT in 2006-2008 before returning to Norway (working as a software developer for a couple of years). I had to come back.

Melbourne is rad. I would move there in a heart beat if it weren't for the weather :p but I suppose it gets a lot colder in Norway huh.

What's on sunday?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom