• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 7 - We hang out IRL now and be social and shit. (Also, Adrian's Revenge)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Melbourne is rad. I would move there in a heart beat if it weren't for the weather :p but I suppose it gets a lot colder in Norway huh.

What's on sunday?

"ATTN: All Australian, this Sunday these Muslim DOGS are planning a protest in OUR city. I call on all brothers and sisters to meet at Flinders street at 1pm on Sunday for a march to the state library. Lets show these bearded goat herders that we run this country no them and if they don't like it they can FUCK OFF back to what ever shit hole they came from on the leaky boat the showed up on. Spread the word and come ready for a battle for out rights and our land. They thought Cronulla riots were bad. WE GREW THERE THEY FLEW THERE!!! Australians Unite ! ! !"

Dead Man

"ATTN: All Australian, this Sunday these Muslim DOGS are planning a protest in OUR city. I call on all brothers and sisters to meet at Flinders street at 1pm on Sunday for a march to the state library. Lets show these bearded goat herders that we run this country no them and if they don't like it they can FUCK OFF back to what ever shit hole they came from on the leaky boat the showed up on. Spread the word and come ready for a battle for out rights and our land. They thought Cronulla riots were bad. WE GREW THERE THEY FLEW THERE!!! Australians Unite ! ! !"

Poes Law.

Shaneus

Mizuguchi was fucking AMAZING. Watching him play Rez and Eden on a fucking huge screen was super dope, but sadly even though I thought I was recording all of both on my phone, I only got a minute or so of each. Fucking phone. 

Interesting points of note:
Was inspired to get into multimedia by music videos, name checked Peter Gabriel (obviously Sledgehammer) and New Order! (I'd assume True Faith. Very much a video where everything is synched to the music)
Approached Sega because one time he saw one of those R360 G-Loc machines. I've been in one of those!
His first task for Sega was not to design a game, but worked on the "ride" at Sega World in Japan that involved pre-rendered cinematics, virtual reality and moving seats. I actually remember having a go on that exact same ride in Sega World Sydney! One of the few things I remember quite clearly about it.
His interest in synaesthesia was fuelled by a visit to the Berlin Love Parade one year. What a dude!
Talked about how his usage of on-rails/tunnels for his two big games (Rez/Eden) are kind of meant to relate to music tablature, treating the 5 bars as a kind of tunnel the player is travelling through (where the target moving around is "playing" the notes). Found this the most fascinating, I think. 
Lumines came from wanting to do something Rez-like but realising that something that deep wouldn't work with a handheld, and wanting to simulate the vibe of an island beach party-esque celebration of life and happiness, from dusk until dawn (think of the sun going down, everything being magical and emotive, coming up to a new day with the music reflecting the change in mood and atmosphere that would echo such an experience).
His break from Sega was very clean and amicable (I guess they understood given how they essentially finished off UGA).
Marketing people hate trying to market his games!

Funniest bit: Playing Eden, and after a few short minutes got the "Don't forget to take a break!" message from the Kinect. It was quite a pisser!

Honestly, the night was a real eye-opener. Think I got more inspiration and insight from it than if I'd seen anyone else in the industry AT ALL do a similar kind of talk. His philosophy for invoking emotional response by interweaving audio and visual cues/stimuli with control method (and other sensations, Trance Vibrator trololol) rather than going for the more hollywood approach of script, cinematics and pre-scripted soundtrack cues is something that really resonates with me... you always feel more involved in the experience and a part of the world he's created as a result (as opposed to just being dropped into a scenario/experience/simulation). When I think about it, a lot of the other titles that try to do the same thing (like Braid, for instance) often feel flat as a result.. like you've just pushed a story along, rather than feel like a part of it's world.

So yeah, glad I went. Don't know if anyone else here would've gotten as much out of it as I, but I'm surprised I took as much away from it as I did.

Apologies if there are parts of that that don't make sense, I'm writing this on my phone. Sorry guys!
Quick mods, tag Shaneus with something about this.
By Karmichael Hunts, for Karmichael Hunts.

Deeku

Back in Aus!

Considering trying to get a permanent gig in HK. Like, I've been to the place sooo many times before, but I didn't really realise how convenient everything was there until I actually worked. One night I was at the office until 1am, and all I had to do was like walk 5 mins on some connecting bridges and I was at a place eating wonton noodle soup! And then after that, walk 10 mins, take a big escalator and I'm home! I can't do that in Syd cbd!!!....right? Also there was a ridiculous supply of hot eurasians:eek:

Anyway, played a lot of Fire Emblem 3ds on the plane, game is v. slick, really enjoying it. And thank god for no perma character death mode, screw the hardcore FE peeps that like that!

Oh and Jintor, what time tomorrow are you free at uni? Don't listen to rep, that vita deal sucks! Mine is betterrrrrrr. Also maybe pm your number cos I don't think I have it anymore.

Shaneus

Um, holy FUCK that's one hell of a post I made. Considering it was from my phone.

God damn I ramble a lot.

Oh, and apparently there was a 3D version of Eden available to play at the Game Masters thing. I didn't check it out, but I'd be surprised if we don't get some kind of patch for that, depending on what system it was demoed on. That would kick arse.

Edit: The PS3 one has 3D. Shame it's not on the 360 one as well, because that'd work way better for the whole "immersion" thing, not having to hold that shitty controller. That actually reminds me though... I get the 3D glasses for my TV this week. Hopefully they fit around my enormous noggin and work with my current prescription glasses. Need it for HotD 3D and (now) Eden. They should give Rez the same treatment as well.

Didn't find the 3D effect of Child of Eden at the Game Masters exhibition anything special. It was on a big screen but the effect wasn't anything special.

Rezbit played at the same time so may have a different opinion.

Ydahs

apparently cronulla riots part 2....

but the news said the original protest has been cancelled so who knows what is happening >_>

It was cancelled out of fear of violence, though there will undoubtedly be arseholes from both sides looking for trouble.

Not really concerned and still planning on getting to Uni, though if there are protests, the tram network will likely be disrupted anyway... if that happens, I guess I'll be AusGAF's correspondent for the day!

markot

Banned
_63010615_f786cb79-0711-4a44-9d2f-a4dab5f290cb.jpg

The satellite views are black & white in parts of Geelong on the iOS 6 maps! Not going to comment on that... :)

The pizza place next to work has been a Dominos for five years I guess, and the iOS 6 maps say it's still a Big Daddy's.

Back in Aus!

Considering trying to get a permanent gig in HK. Like, I've been to the place sooo many times before, but I didn't really realise how convenient everything was there until I actually worked. One night I was at the office until 1am, and all I had to do was like walk 5 mins on some connecting bridges and I was at a place eating wonton noodle soup! And then after that, walk 10 mins, take a big escalator and I'm home! I can't do that in Syd cbd!!!....right? Also there was a ridiculous supply of hot eurasians:eek:

Anyway, played a lot of Fire Emblem 3ds on the plane, game is v. slick, really enjoying it. And thank god for no perma character death mode, screw the hardcore FE peeps that like that!

Oh and Jintor, what time tomorrow are you free at uni? Don't listen to rep, that vita deal sucks! Mine is betterrrrrrr. Also maybe pm your number cos I don't think I have it anymore.

Out of curiosity what do you do for work?

Um, holy FUCK that's one hell of a post I made. Considering it was from my phone.

God damn I ramble a lot.

Oh, and apparently there was a 3D version of Eden available to play at the Game Masters thing. I didn't check it out, but I'd be surprised if we don't get some kind of patch for that, depending on what system it was demoed on. That would kick arse.

Edit: The PS3 one has 3D. Shame it's not on the 360 one as well, because that'd work way better for the whole "immersion" thing, not having to hold that shitty controller. That actually reminds me though... I get the 3D glasses for my TV this week. Hopefully they fit around my enormous noggin and work with my current prescription glasses. Need it for HotD 3D and (now) Eden. They should give Rez the same treatment as well.

Sounds like you had a great time, rambling aside. You get anything signed?

Rezbit

Didn't find the 3D effect of Child of Eden at the Game Masters exhibition anything special. It was on a big screen but the effect wasn't anything special.

Rezbit played at the same time so may have a different opinion.

Yeah barely noticed the 3D to be honest. Don't know if it was being so close to the screen or what. The game was also a bit too busy IMO.

Shaneus

Sounds like you had a great time, rambling aside. You get anything signed?
Man, *exactly* my cup of tea. Like I said, I don't know if anyone here would've gotten the same level of enjoyment and inspiration from it (I guess you need a very strong passion for electronic music as well as an ability to get easily emotionally involved in/attached to various multimedia mediums etc.) but personally, it couldn't have exceeded expectations any more than it did.

But no, no signings :/ Couldn't even think of anything I own that he could sign (thought of Rez for DC or PS2... nope. Rez OST... nope.) until *just* now I realised I could've brought a copy of Eden for either PS3 or 360 (I OWN BOTH) and the opportunity was there to get them signed, but I'm a bit of a dipshit.

Would've only been for personal reasons anyway, and I doubt it would've improved value financially by that much anyway. Hell, I doubt my signed S1 and S1 DVDs of Red vs. Blue aren't worth anything, at least ;)

Deeku

bodyboarder said:
Out of curiosity what do you do for work?
Financial services.

Jintor said:
Asked a girl out. Only see you as a friend. Less amazing.
So ukeleleleles don't work? Noted. :(

Also answer my question re vita or check your pms!!

Salazar said:
Gradually realising I am seen as only an extremely low-tier friend. If that.
Low tier is better than no tier I guess. Work your way up that tier!

Shaneus

Saw wolf children in cinemas. God damn amazing. Asked a girl out. Only see you as a friend. Less amazing.
Sooner you find out, sooner you move on and less time you waste wondering. All for the best, tiger!

Not exactly this, but it reminds me of this:

http://youtu.be/AqDbb7-dn9A

Did you end the "friendship" by calling her Karmichael Hunt?
I need to watch this show. Am I wrong in thinking it's similar to Peep Show?

Anyone seen any iPad sleeves in their travels recently. Went to dse, jb, big w, officeworks and they had zilch. Only had portfolio cases and those god awful plastic "clip on" cases.

Man, *exactly* my cup of tea. Like I said, I don't know if anyone here would've gotten the same level of enjoyment and inspiration from it (I guess you need a very strong passion for electronic music as well as an ability to get easily emotionally involved in/attached to various multimedia mediums etc.) but personally, it couldn't have exceeded expectations any more than it did.

But no, no signings :/ Couldn't even think of anything I own that he could sign (thought of Rez for DC or PS2... nope. Rez OST... nope.) until *just* now I realised I could've brought a copy of Eden for either PS3 or 360 (I OWN BOTH) and the opportunity was there to get them signed, but I'm a bit of a dipshit.

Would've only been for personal reasons anyway, and I doubt it would've improved value financially by that much anyway. Hell, I doubt my signed S1 and S1 DVDs of Red vs. Blue aren't worth anything, at least ;)

That's always the way. Never saw much point in getting stuffed signed anyway. Though at the rate I buy/sell stuff it wouldn't hang round long.

Financial services.

I really need to put my degree (which seems about as useful as an arts degree,maybe less) to use, I want paid trips overseas.

Deeku

I really need to put my degree (which seems about as useful as an arts degree,maybe less) to use, I want paid trips overseas.
What degree? I vaguely remember you saying that you worked at a bank, or banking? I just have a plain ol commerce degree.

The idea of overseas work trip was cool, but I ended working harder than in Aus office. Good learning experience, though. Doubt I'll have another overseas work trip, unless it's like a secondment or something. It was really a one off thing to network and get global market exposure or something.

apparently cronulla riots part 2....

but the news said the original protest has been cancelled so who knows what is happening >_>
Oh good =/ Time to pretend I grew up someplace else again!

Hoping that since the protest has been called off this'll be the end of it, though I imagine there will still be some idiots looking for a fight hanging around the CBD.

Saw wolf children in cinemas. God damn amazing. Asked a girl out. Only see you as a friend. Less amazing.

Don't worry Jint, you will always have gaf ^^

Deeku

Speaking of riots, how about those anit japan riots from last week or so:eek: There was also like an anti japan day or something, which was the day I went shopping at uniqlo lol.

Salazar said:
Low tier is optimistic. I've been a bit of an idiot.
Be less of an idiot and more optimistic!

Speaking of riots, how about those anit japan riots from last week or so:eek: .

Yeah, holy crap a lot of Chinese people are mad o_O Where there riots happening in HK too?

which was the day I went shopping at uniqlo lol

I've never understood the appeal of uniqlo. Maybe the men's range is better than the women's range.. which other than the yukatas is kiiiinda dowdy.

Be less of an idiot and more optimistic!

Listen to Deek!

What degree? I vaguely remember you saying that you worked at a bank, or banking? I just have a plain ol commerce degree.

The idea of overseas work trip was cool, but I ended working harder than in Aus office. Good learning experience, though. Doubt I'll have another overseas work trip, unless it's like a secondment or something. It was really a one off thing to network and get global market exposure or something.

Business degree. Yeah banking, though its outsourced stuff, so not in the least bit intersting. Still kicking myself to this day that I didn't put any effort into getting a grad position.

The idea of being paid to travel is appealing, I'm sure the appeal would diminish pretty quick.

Deeku

Yeah, holy crap a lot of Chinese people are mad o_O Where there riots happening in HK too?

I've never understood the appeal of uniqlo. Maybe the men's range is better than the women's range.. which other than the yukatas is kiiiinda dowdy.
There was some coverage on the news, but it was just of people throwing things at japanese stores and stuff:/ No riots in HK regarding japan, but there were anti china protests because of the whole national education chinese brainwashing issue or something. Also the removal of occupy wall st people from HSBC was quite a spectacle lol.

Uniqlo is alright. It's cheap, it has decent cutting and fits (me) well. I just buy plain t shirts, track pants, hoodies etc, it's good for that. Women's range seems alright, it just seems like normal everyday casual wear type things so it's hard to go wrong. I mean, out of all the fast budget fashion labels, I think uniqlo is one of the better ones in terms of quality.

Business degree. Yeah banking, though its outsourced stuff, so not in the least bit intersting. Still kicking myself to this day that I didn't put any effort into getting a grad position.
Most places accept apps for people who graduated like 3 years ago, not more though, so you could look into that. At least you're in the industry with experience, so it shouldn't be too hard to move around to something you like.

WHY do i always have frame rate issues. cant go above 20 when something is acctually happening. happened with wow, sr3, sr2, bl1 and pretty much every other game iv ever played. i had to reinstall drivers every time i restarted my pc to play wow. a reformat got sr3 working. have i got a fucked video card or something.
i have a i7 930, hd radeon 50xx 60 or 70 i dont remember and 6gb of ram i dont want to say its a hardware issue as formatting and reinstalling things have fixed it in the pass.
this shit really drives me insane
what to do ausgaf
i dont really have access to another graphics card and i dont particularly want to take my pc into msy for a test thingy.

Fuck off. Really? Christ all fucking mighty.

Lame. That sucks man. Chin up bro

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom