• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 7 - We hang out IRL now and be social and shit. (Also, Adrian's Revenge)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajim

Hey blokes and blokettes, this may have been posted recently, but where is the best place to find a sweet deal on a Vita? Really keen on picking one up. Or should I just wait it out til a price drop?

Hey blokes and blokettes, this may have been posted recently, but where is the best place to find a sweet deal on a Vita? Really keen on picking one up. Or should I just wait it out til a price drop?

Big W and JB are currently doing the Wifi model/4GB memory card/Little Big Planet download bundle for $298/$299

Deeku

The best deal ever was my deal, but I sold it to jintor!

So yeah, met up with jint today, gave him the vita and sat around chatting bout stuff. Good times. Enjoy the vita, and I will enjoy my monies:D

Jintor

this vita is supes shiny

I like it but no gamez! (Because I didn't put Lumines in it and went back to playing Wario Land 2 on the way to work)

Can't wait for the new Zero Escape to drop

Deeku

I like it but no gamez! (Because I didn't put Lumines in it and went back to playing Wario Land 2 on the way to work)
lol

Get Sound Shapes!

Edit: oh and btw I forgot. I hope you don't intend on playing online wipeout because a. I think I used the online pass, and b. it needs to be linked to a US account..(so I actually didn't get to play online either). Soz, my bad.

Jintor

lol

Get Sound Shapes!

Edit: oh and btw I forgot. I hope you don't intend on playing online wipeout because a. I think I used the online pass, and b. it needs to be linked to a US account..(so I actually didn't get to play online either). Soz, my bad.

i dun really care about wipeout, so long as I can get on the shop with a new account or whatever. God, i don't even know if I have a PSN account or not

Lagavulin 16 Y/O Scotch Whisky $55 at BWS, clearing it out

Also in more hilarious news

updated-lynch-tree-460x307.jpg

Obama chair lynchings in Texas and Virginia
Burnt Orange reports that when one woman complained to the Texas homeowner, he said, “I don’t really give a damn whether it disturbs you or not. You can take [your concerns] and go straight to hell and take Obama with you. I don’t give a shit. If you don’t like it, don’t come down my street.” The man has since added an American flag to the chair.

Shaneus

JB deal has 4GB card with LBP AND FIFA. Awesome deal. Best out of the lot easily.

Also for the love of fuck don't buy the shitty Resistance game.
I really, really, REALLY want to play the new Lumines game, but no fucking way am I buying another handheld for it. They'd better bring that shit to PSN/XBL/Steam.

That reminds me... I really should dig out the trusty ol' PSP-1000. The talk last night reminded me just how fucking awesome Lumines is and just how much time I wasted on that fucking game on XBLA. Still not sure how I feel about all the licensed music in the sequel, though :/

Deeku

Still not sure how I feel about all the licensed music in the sequel, though :/
Original is still the best.

2 is terrrrible! It wasn't just that crappy music, it was also having freakin music videos playing in the background. So distracting! That game was such a let down. The vita game is actually pretty good, but I don't have enough time these days to do 3 hour lumines sessions:(

I really, really, REALLY want to play the new Lumines game, but no fucking way am I buying another handheld for it. They'd better bring that shit to PSN/XBL/Steam.

That reminds me... I really should dig out the trusty ol' PSP-1000. The talk last night reminded me just how fucking awesome Lumines is and just how much time I wasted on that fucking game on XBLA. Still not sure how I feel about all the licensed music in the sequel, though :/

Wait, you haven't bought the new Lumines? How could you look The Miz in the eye! How will Q Games feed their children you monster!

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Finally got around to sending in my VTAC form. Now I gotta stress over taking the STAT test next month. Hope I do well.>_<
2 is terrrrible! It wasn't just that crappy music, it was also having freakin music videos playing in the background. So distracting! That game was such a let down. The vita game is actually pretty good, but I don't have enough time these days to do 3 hour lumines sessions:(
I dunno. I really liked some of the tracks in Lumines 2 and the music videos too!

Man

Not sure if of interest but I can confirm that an Australian purchased LBP Vita's Network Pass can be reclaimed from European/Norwegian PS Stores.

Speaking of which, do we have a pal date for it? 3ds version obviously but should be same as vita I assume

No idea how reliable Amazon UK are, but they're listing it for 16th of November. They seem to be the only site that actually have a listing for the game to boot.

Also, you can thank that Miz talk for making me drop Borderlands and Torchlight to go finish off Rez and Child Of Eden, as well as get back into Electronic Symphony...

r1chard

Now that I've figured out the importance of doing the side quests in Borderlands* (and thus getting weapons that can kill the enemies in the MQ missions) the game is a little more fun now. Think I might fire up Torchlight tonight instead though. Or possibly just relax in a rare moment of single-parenthood (aka the closest I get to having the house to myself) with whiskey and Fringe (oh, Olivia)

* may even look at Borderlands 2.... when it comes down in price :)

Dead Man

Openly gay Liberal Senator Dean Smith voted against marriage equality. In his speech to Senate he said:

"I accept that to some the idea of an openly gay man rejecting a proposition to extend the definition of 'marriage' to same-sex relationships seems unusual or counterintuitive. In response, I say that it speaks to the often overlooked fact that opinion on the issue of extending the definition of 'marriage' is heavily divided even among gay and lesbian Australians."
Uh huh. Sure it is. Knob. Full speech at the link for those interested. Contains some gems.

markot

Banned
Openly gay Liberal Senator Dean Smith voted against marriage equality. In his speech to Senate he said:

Uh huh. Sure it is. Knob. Full speech at the link for those interested. Contains some gems.

lol, the 'serperate but equal' crap.

From his bio he seems to have been a young liberal too, explains alot.

By not agreeing to same-sex marriage, I am not choosing to endorse discrimination against my fellow gay and lesbians Australians or to be disrespectful to their domestic relationships, or to lessen the value of their commitments, companionship, love and unions. Instead, for me, it is an honest acknowledgement, of the special and unique characteristics of the union described as 'marriage'.

Anyway, to protect the unique union known as marraige, I for one welcome laws against divorce coming into force soon, I assume, I mean we have to clearly protect the institution from people who would tarnish its pure name.

It also seems we will have to redefine discrimination too:

treatment or consideration of, or making a distinction in favor of or against, a person or thing based on the group, class, or category to which that person or thing belongs rather than on individual merit

Yagharek

Wait... the Q behind Eden is different from the Q behind Pixeljunk? Holy fuck, I had no idea. Talk about confusing.

Q? Entertainment > Q-Games, though.

Youre mixing yourself up. Which Eden do you mean for a start?

Q Games made Pixeljunk Monsters, Pixeljunk Eden, Pixeljunk Racers1/2, Pixeljunk Shooter 1/2, Starship Patrol, Reflect Missile and also worked on Starfox DS and 3DS. They were borne out of the team that made the first Starwing/Starfox on SNES. Dylan Cuthbert heads them up.

Q Entertainment is the Mizuguchi studio, responsible for Rez, Child of Eden, Lumines.

Also of note, James Mielke of ex 1up/EGM fame recently moved from Q Entertainment to take up work at Q Games.

Both are fantastic studios though. I would readily compare them to the excellent people at Treasure and Platinum.

Dead Man

lol, the 'serperate but equal' crap.

From his bio he seems to have been a young liberal too, explains alot.

Anyway, to protect the unique union known as marraige, I for one welcome laws against divorce coming into force soon, I assume, I mean we have to clearly protect the institution from people who would tarnish its pure name.

It also seems we will have to redefine discrimination too:

treatment or consideration of, or making a distinction in favor of or against, a person or thing based on the group, class, or category to which that person or thing belongs rather than on individual merit

Yup. Fucking Young Libs.

Shaneus

Youre mixing yourself up. Which Eden do you mean for a start?

Q Games made Pixeljunk Monsters, Pixeljunk Eden, Pixeljunk Racers1/2, Pixeljunk Shooter 1/2, Starship Patrol, Reflect Missile and also worked on Starfox DS and 3DS. They were borne out of the team that made the first Starwing/Starfox on SNES. Dylan Cuthbert heads them up.

Q Entertainment is the Mizuguchi studio, responsible for Rez, Child of Eden, Lumines.

Also of note, James Mielke of ex 1up/EGM fame recently moved from Q Entertainment to take up work at Q Games.

Both are fantastic studios though. I would readily compare them to the excellent people at Treasure and Platinum.
Child of eden, obviously. Duh.
:D <-- makes it all OK
I just remember Holla Back Gurrrrl and PUMP IT, and then I was over it and went back to playing the original lol.
The best licensed song in Lumines 2. Period.

That reminds me of Dave Chappelle's skit on the blind, black white supremicist.

I have a question for you AusGAF: I got a JB Hifi voucher for my birthday and used it to pre-order Hitman Absolution, mostly on account of the fact that JB were advertising (on a giant cardboard cutout) that pre-ordering with them would get you the Sniper Challenge as well (which I've heard is really good).

I used the voucher to pre-order the game, and was told that the person from gaming was at lunch but would call me with the code. That was Tuesday. I called them back today to ask what was going on and was told they had run out of the Sniper Challenge "discs" for the PS3 (although I'm pretty sure they would have been codes on the PS3).

So what should I do? Cancel my pre-order? Kick up a stink? Contact the distributor?

Yagharek

I have a question for you AusGAF: I got a JB Hifi voucher for my birthday and used it to pre-order Hitman Absolution, mostly on account of the fact that JB were advertising (on a giant cardboard cutout) that pre-ordering with them would get you the Sniper Challenge as well (which I've heard is really good).

I used the voucher to pre-order the game, and was told that the person from gaming was at lunch but would call me with the code. That was Tuesday. I called them back today to ask what was going on and was told they had run out of the Sniper Challenge "discs" for the PS3 (although I'm pretty sure they would have been codes on the PS3).

So what should I do? Cancel my pre-order? Kick up a stink? Contact the distributor?

Ive found that sending a complaint (politely worded) via their online system does lead to good outcomes. As in, fixed within a day. YMMV, but try that first and be firm but polite.

Hello, I live in the United States and mostly post in the Halo Community OT, but I'm posting here because EB Games Australia has some exclusive pre-order bonuses for Halo 4 that are not available anywhere else in the world, and unfortunately, ebgames.com.au does not ship internationally, or else I would pre-order a copy directly.

Would anyone be interested in swapping codes that are exclusive for our respective regions? There are some US-exclusive codes for Halo 4, but it wouldn't necessarily have to be a code for Halo 4. Please send me a private message if you are interested.

Just as a "fun" fact: Halo 4 has 22 unique retailer pre-order and SKU-specific in-game disc-locked content items. Makes me sorely miss the days of paying 50 dollars for a Halo game and having access to all of its content from the get.

Dead Man

Hello, I live in the United States and mostly post in the Halo Community OT, but I'm posting here because EB Games Australia has some exclusive pre-order bonuses for Halo 4 that are not available anywhere else in the world, and unfortunately, ebgames.com.au does not ship internationally, or else I would pre-order a copy directly.

Would anyone be interested in swapping codes that are exclusive for our respective regions? There are some US-exclusive codes for Halo 4, but it wouldn't necessarily have to be a code for Halo 4. Please send me a private message if you are interested.

Just as a "fun" fact: Halo 4 has 22 unique retailer pre-order and SKU-specific in-game disc-locked content items. Makes me sorely miss the days of paying 50 dollars for a Halo game and having access to all of its content from the get.

I find both of these to be mind boggling. No 360 for me, hopefully an AusGaffer will be able to help.

Dead Man

The rise of the Maori tribal tattoo - BBC

Interesting piece on moko

My own skin was first marked more than 50 years ago, in a self-inflicted ritual that most Maori children observe, often with each other and usually at school with a compass point and pen, or needles bound on to a pencil and punched in.

My mark was a small arrow and, in homage to a favoured comic strip, a tiny skull that turned into a blob and was later scratched out.

Many pre-teen imprints were shallow and delible. We laugh about how it seemed to be a genetic compulsion.

Most of us moved on into parenthood and responsibility with the diminishing dots on the wrist or the cheek, the small stars or crosses on the ankle - nothing too outrageous, but the marking with ink was a shift from childhood into early adolescence, and we all did it. Parents - those who did not have actual moko - smiled indulgently and considered their own faded drawings.

Today it is more likely that young people will acquire a machine-applied design, often as a mark of excellence after gaining educational credits and degrees, or reaching a major sporting goal such as the 1st XV rugby team or a national title.

Cultural dance competitions and outrigger canoe racing are also opportunities to acquire - and to see - the best of contemporary moko. The enhanced glory of youth is on display at events such as these.
In August 2006, Te Arikinui Dame te Atairangikaahu, affectionately known as the Maori Queen, died after a long illness.

Her people were devastated. Many wanted to commemorate her in a special way, and 16 women chose to memorialise her by taking a traditional facial tattoo. I was humbled to be one of them. There are now more than 50 of us, mostly older and involved in the ceremonial life of our people. It is a fitting memento mori.

_63003817_ngahuia.jpg

Yagharek

edit: whoah, what a tattoo.

Ive never liked seeing Maori (or generic tribal tattoos, rather) tattoos on people who aren't Maori. They look tacky.

Finally getting off iOS. My iPhone 4S was on barely on eBay for an hour this afternoon before it sold. Good riddance.

What was the catalyst and what are you getting instead?

Jintor

That's a weird image to me. Where once you would get a tattoo to commemorate a battle won or a relative killed, now you'd get one for a high test score or getting into a football team.

It's oddly compelling. Like vegetables made of bones, or flocks of wild angels.

Kritz

Banned
Biggest waste of money Ive ever spent on a game. Wasnt even that good either.

Halo 3 was the point where I went from super crazy batshit halo fan to a PC gamer. Well, actually, it was the Orange Box which released around that time. All the same. I think I regret paying $120 for Fable 3 way more though. Which to this day is the last game I've bought at retail.

Not that I think Halo 3 was especially bad. I was lucky enough to get into the Friends and Family beta for it, which started 2 weeks before the public beta. So I had a bunch of time to try out the, like, two maps, and generally had my fill of the MP there and then. My problem with Halo 3 was the bullshit fucking lie that matchmaking wouldn't be a piece of garbage. Yet, after the beta, every single game I tried to get into for the month after launch was terrible. 200+ ping, matched with people on the other side of the fucking planet. I remember asking one of the devs about it before launch and they seemed to thing it would totally be awesome and you'd only get matched in low latency games. It even had a matchmaking option to pick low latency games, that never fucking worked.

God, fuck console online. It's always terrible. Matchmaking sucks, latency sucks, peer to peer is a load of god damn ass. Fuck. FUCK.

FUCK YOU HALO 3.

I'MMA GO CHOC ON TH9IS SHIT GODDAMN

Finally getting off iOS. My iPhone 4S was on barely on eBay for an hour this afternoon before it sold. Good riddance.

:D

My 2 year contract runs out at the start of next year. I have no desire to stay in Apple's ecosystem anymore. I'm tired of itunes being just goddamn garbage, I'm tired of the shitty ui, I'm tired of not being able to develop things for it because I don't own a mac. I'm out. Well, for phones, anyway. I still think the iPad 3 is killer just because of the resolution and battery life.

Yagharek

Halo 3 had a pissweak story (ironic considering how hyped up it was), to be nonexistent. Level design was poo, Cortana (the level) was the worst thing in the series.

It's basically the Avatar of games. Overblown importance, hollow and the people who publicise it seem to have their heads full of their own hype.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom