• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 7 - We hang out IRL now and be social and shit. (Also, Adrian's Revenge)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yagharek

Ok, time to go get some drinks for the footy finals tonight.

I'm thinking aspall draught cider, if anyone's had that. Great with ice too.

jambo

Do you have one? Since you hate iTunes, do you need to use iTunes much to do shit with the iPad? Can you still only partner it with one PC at a time?

afaik you can use an iPad with as many PCs as you want. I've been able to put stuff on mine on both my work and home PCs. My iPhone 4 on the other hand seems to be locked to my home PC iTunes Library.

Dead Man

edit: whoah, what a tattoo.

Ive never liked seeing Maori (or generic tribal tattoos, rather) tattoos on people who aren't Maori. They look tacky.
Yeah, I love them, but I could never get one, it would look ridiculous. I will have to find another culture to appropriate for my body art.
That's a weird image to me. Where once you would get a tattoo to commemorate a battle won or a relative killed, now you'd get one for a high test score or getting into a football team.

It's oddly compelling. Like vegetables made of bones, or flocks of wild angels.
My god that is a fine turn of phrase.

Notice that only the Australian doesn't have a douchesmirk?

Kritz

Banned
Halo 3 had a pissweak story (ironic considering how hyped up it was), to be nonexistent. Level design was poo, Cortana (the level) was the worst thing in the series.

Man, Halo's story. Like, okay, I thought Halo 1's simple narrative was awesome. It was a great balance between illusion of depth and an easy to follow, simple story. There was a dude, who crashed on a planet, who was super good at survival but kinda rubbish at everything else. You try to make the best of a bad situation, but you fuck up everything you put your hands on and everyone dies and there was nothing you could do to stop it.

Halo 2 then introduced a buncha fuckin characters nobody cared about, added this pseudo-religious story of redemption and was totally fucked by the scope they attempted to create but never actually succeeded. Also, it had a cliffhanger. What a terrible, terrible plot device.

Halo 3? More of Halo 2's story. They blew out the scope once again, never did anything exciting with it, had way too many plot elements up in the air and everybody died. Again. I guess. Not really. That didn't really happen.

So, what I'm saying is, Halo 1 is the greatest console game of all time. Fuck y'all.

Fredescu

afaik you can use an iPad with as many PCs as you want. I've been able to put stuff on mine on both my work and home PCs.
Cool. Can you use something other than iTunes to do that? I remember using a Winamp plugin many years ago for an old iPod. Are there a bunch of different options for that?

jambo

Cool. Can you use something other than iTunes to do that? I remember using a Winamp plugin many years ago for an old iPod. Are there a bunch of different options for that?

I used to use a custom foobar2000 plug in to do something similar, but I'm fairly sure Apple have changed the way that the phone talks to the computer over the years so I don't think you can any more.

Unless you jailbreak of course.

Danoss

What was the catalyst and what are you getting instead?

I have numerous problems with the iPhone, but the new maps effort (along with an overall lacklustre update) really sealed the deal.

Going back to iOS was only going to be a brief departure for me. I liked Android, but was soured by the hardware problems with my old Nexus S (still unfixed). I was just waiting for Google to make some improvements with Android, and they've done that.

I'll be migrating to the Galaxy Nexus. Great value phone for what it is.

:D

My 2 year contract runs out at the start of next year. I have no desire to stay in Apple's ecosystem anymore. I'm tired of itunes being just goddamn garbage, I'm tired of the shitty ui, I'm tired of not being able to develop things for it because I don't own a mac. I'm out. Well, for phones, anyway. I still think the iPad 3 is killer just because of the resolution and battery life.

1,000x those smileys. Glad to be done with them

The iPad is an excellent device, and it is purely based on the screen resolution and the battery life. Nothing else about it is impressive at all. It has more negatives than positives. So sick of Apple trying to dictate terms to their users, and I think it'll only get worse.

If I had a need for a tablet, I'd just grab a Nexus 7. I don't, so I'll save my money. The only tablet I want is a Wacom.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Ehh, I personally loved the directions they took the universe and storytelling in Halo 2. It was just grossly underdeveloped imo, as much as I love halo, the story and universe always felt like wasted potential for something that could have been way more epic.

Kritz

Banned
It's never really effective to try to convince me that zelda games are worth any amount of shit.

Though at this point I'd probably say the same about Halo. >_>

Man, Halo's story. Like, okay, I thought Halo 1's simple narrative was awesome. It was a great balance between illusion of depth and an easy to follow, simple story. There was a dude, who crashed on a planet, who was super good at survival but kinda rubbish at everything else. You try to make the best of a bad situation, but you fuck up everything you put your hands on and everyone dies and there was nothing you could do to stop it.

Halo 2 then introduced a buncha fuckin characters nobody cared about, added this pseudo-religious story of redemption and was totally fucked by the scope they attempted to create but never actually succeeded. Also, it had a cliffhanger. What a terrible, terrible plot device.

Halo 3? More of Halo 2's story. They blew out the scope once again, never did anything exciting with it, had way too many plot elements up in the air and everybody died. Again. I guess. Not really. That didn't really happen.

So, what I'm saying is, Halo 1 is the greatest console game of all time. Fuck y'all.

If only halo 3 was more of halo 2's story. If anything they just abandoned the direction they were going in halo 2 and just shit on the story created there. For me i put halo 1 and 2 on about the same level both way ahead of the rest of the series. Halo 3 had good really good gameplay but worse level design and story. Reach is definitely my least favourite in the series.

Just as a note though i don't play online MP at all, only really play with my friends. Not sure if that affects anything.

Yagharek

It's never really effective to try to convince me that zelda games are worth any amount of shit.

All I'll say is that at the end of Zelda, Link is running headlong into danger. At the end of Halo, chief is hightailing it outta there.

But really, it's not to me to convince you otherwise, its obvious LoZ:SS is a divisive game. But it is one of the most beautiful games Ive ever played, and it wraps everything up nicely come the ending credits.

Though at this point I'd probably say the same about Halo. >_>

Halo now is like the matrix movies or star wars, where if after making the first one they released shit sequels and then destroyed everyones fond memories of the original.

Halo 3 is a worse crime to that series than Other M was to Metroid.

All I'll say is that at the end of Zelda, Link is running headlong into danger. At the end of Halo, chief is hightailing it outta there.

But really, it's not to me to convince you otherwise, its obvious LoZ:SS is a divisive game. But it is one of the most beautiful games Ive ever played, and it wraps everything up nicely come the ending credits.

LoZ:SS is probably about my 7th favourite zelda game, then again i'm pretty biased towards the 2D versions.

Halo now is like the matrix movies or star wars, where if after making the first one they released shit sequels and then destroyed everyones fond memories of the original.

Halo 3 is a worse crime to that series than Other M was to Metroid.

This is just blatantly false.

Kritz

Banned
Do you have one? Since you hate iTunes, do you need to use iTunes much to do shit with the iPad? Can you still only partner it with one PC at a time?

It syncs wirelessly with iTunes, but that process is completely transparent to me at the moment (after about half a fucking year of it giving me an error message every time I opened iTunes where it said it couldn't find the device for some reason).

Apart from that, I never use it to touch iTunes. It's only ever paired with one PC, so I don't know if it could hit up other ones.

I just treat it as a seperate device in its entirety, really. I download apps to it through the device itself, and I don't really use it for music or movies. Thing's just an internet machine to me.

Rezbit

If I try to buy one a couple of weeks after release do you reckon they'll be sold out? Would rather not preorder since I'm not totally decided, but I don't wanna miss out.

Oooh, it all makes more sense now.

You could always wait a while shanshan, when they start to offer deals and stuff. About a week away from launch the shops should start competing for your dollar. Although I suppose you could always get the deals later even with preorder.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
If I try to buy one a couple of weeks after release do you reckon they'll be sold out? Would rather not preorder since I'm not totally decided, but I don't wanna miss out.

No idea. I don't think pre-orders are crazy at this point, but it's impossible to tell how things will go as Nintendo's marketing picks up. I personally don't think this will be another Wii situation, but eh. For the time being I think you can wait it out.

I liked Avatar.

Is Korra good ?

hrrrmm. Its decent, but nowhere near as good as avatar (focuses too much on romantic stuff imo). Watch it, its only like 12 episodes long. Then come back and we can talk more about it.

You could always wait a while shanshan, when they start to offer deals and stuff. About a week away from launch the shops should start competing for your dollar. Although I suppose you could always get the deals later even with preorder.

That's a good idea. Thanks guys, I guess I'll wait and see.

Danoss

Really happy with my GN. Had lunch with a couple of blokes today and we realised we all had one :) Hope it works out for you too.

Good to hear! You and your friends have good taste. I hear its achilles heel is battery life under heavy usage. Nothing a cheap spare battery can't solve, however.

Danoss

What the hell? NRL referees at it again!

Billy Slater knocks the ball on, gets awarded a try. JESUS FUCKING CHRIST!

GN is amazing. Battery does run out fast IF you use the screen a lot.

There is an extended battery with a cover available for $30 if your usage is very heavy and involves a lot of screen time.

I saw that, but thought I'd stick with the slim lines of the GN and just buy a spare battery, the same as the one included. Just for those times when I'm out and about for a while and might need it.

Dead Man

What the hell? NRL referees at it again!

Billy Slater knocks the ball on, gets awarded a try. JESUS FUCKING CHRIST!

I saw that, but thought I'd stick with the slim lines of the GN and just buy a spare battery, the same as the one included. Just for those times when I'm out and about for a while and might need it.

At least you can blame the refs, Collingwood are just shit.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Bourbon hath arrived. Headphones donned. Time for a friday night!

SFlLH.jpg

Rezbit

Have to admit I was up an about after the Jetta goal. Also I'm watching at a joint with unlimited booze for 20 bucks. Amazing!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom