• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 7 - We hang out IRL now and be social and shit. (Also, Adrian's Revenge)

Status
Not open for further replies.

senahorse

I have a HDMI-to-DVI adapter (I need that to plug it into my HDMI-less monitor), so that's fine, and yeah I could use that solution for the PS3 but that screws me for the Wii U. I don't trust Nintendo to have a separate audio output option, no matter how logical it is. Plus, end of the day, it would be easier for me to pug in headphones directly than find my speaker set, plug in the speakers via RCA, then headphones into there.

I do most of my gaming on PC already, but I'd be tre pissy if my TV were to pack up when, say, Rising came out.

Not the cheapest solution, but you could just get a receiver, most let you input audio/video how you want and then output to whatever connection you want.

Danoss

Last weekend, some of the guys squeezed in a couple of games of Warmachine before we all had a game of Smallworld. I'm not a wargamer, so I took some photos of their painted miniatures during setup and after they were killed in play. I thought I'd share a few of the Menoth army, I think they look pretty sharp.

JU6Ow.jpg

MbMEs.jpg

TScFh.jpg

These things are quite small and I'm always impressed by the amount of time and effort that goes into painting them. I'd like to give the same treatment to some of my board game miniatures, but I don't have the patience for it.

Shaneus

Congrats on your boy's birthday! :) He looked happy as Larry.
CHsk2.jpg

Die Hard AND Con Air on at the same time? So much manly awesome it is ompossible to contain!
tumblr_m2nag7kf5t1rozti5o1_r1_500.gif

JUST BUY A FUCKING VITA ALREADY! I EVEN FOUND YOU AN AWESOME DEAL AT JB!

JUST DO IT! TM!
1. Your boy is seriously adawwwwable. It's pretty much criminal.
2. Best scene in Con-Air: "Does our player feel lucky?" "Yes. Yes he does." *Sweet Home Alabama*
3. No. Because the moment I do, they'll announce a port to 360/PS3.

We were both right. You were more right. For the benefit of no one, apart from a sense of nostalgia (and also yourself and DarthHomer), here is an unknown-as-to-how-incomplete list of reviews that he did for Hyper:

F-117 Nightstorm (Megadrive)
Dragon's Fury 2 (Megadrive)
Super Street Fighter 2 (Megadrive & SNES)
Mortal Kombat 2 (Megadrive & SNES)
Battlecorps (Mega CD)
Earthworm Jim (Megadrive)
Sonic & Knuckles (Megadrive)
NHL Hockey 95 (Megadrive)
Donkey Kong (Super Gameboy)
Urban Stike (Megadrive)
Sparkster (Megadrive)
Road Rash (3DO)
Clayfighter (Megadrive)
Wing Commander (Mega CD)
La Russa Baseball 95 (Megadrive)
Nigel Mansell's Indycar Series (SNES)
Mickey Mania (SNES)
Shaq Fu (Megadrive & SNES)
Mighty Morphin Power Rangers (SNES)
NBA Live 95 (Megadrive)
Battletech (Megadrive)
ESPN Baseball Tonight (SNES)
Rock 'n Roll Racing (Megadrive)
Capt'n Havok (Megadrive)
Zero Tolerance (Megadrive)
Mr Nutz (Megadrive)
Second Samurai (Megadrive)
Red Zone (Megadrive)
Ren & Stimpy: Time Warp (SNES)
Virtua Racer Deluxe (32X)
The Punisher (Megadrive)
Kawasaki Superbike Challenge (Megadrive)
Samurai Showdown (Megadrive)
Quarantine (3DO)
Alien Soldier (Megadrive)
Judge Dredd (Megadrive & SNES)
Seal of the Pharaoh (3DO)
MegaMan Mega World (Megadrive)
Vectorman (Megadrive)
NHL 96 (Megadrive & SNES)
Spacehulk (3DO)
Bladeforce (3DO)
Shockwave 2 (3DO)
Phantasy Star IV (Megadrive)
Foes of Ali (3DO)
Doom (3DO)
Pitball (Playstation)
Sim Golf (PC)
Total NBA 97 (Playstation)

He was on the magazine for much longer than I thought. It was at least 3 or 4 years that he contributed.

The bigger question I have about the reviewers during the early days of Hyper is:

Who was Stretch Armstrong?
I don't know how the fuck you did that (seriously... did you go through all the issues or something?) but you've done well to knock that together. Now, are you sure he did a review of Road Rash for 3DO? Because I'm *certain* that was an Andrew Humphries joint. I remember it really well because there's some line about how the game looks much better than "I think I need an incontinence pad, whoops too late" and it made me guffaw like a fucking idiot every time. (fake edit: I've even mentioned it on GAF before!) But if you've actually seen in the magazine itself that it's not by him, then I'll stand corrected.
And IIRC, that was the issue that had the PS1 on the cover (yellow background with the PS1 in the foreground).

As a brief aside, Good Game should seriously consider putting Eliot Fish in front of the camera to add some mature-age gamer credibility to it. Despite there being a kiddy version of Good Game anyway, the main show still feels like it's targeted at teenagers :/

Last weekend, some of the guys squeezed in a couple of games of Warmachine before we all had a game of Smallworld. I'm not a wargamer, so I took some photos of their painted miniatures during setup and after they were killed in play. I thought I'd share a few of the Menoth army, I think they look pretty sharp.

MbMEs.jpg

These things are quite small and I'm always impressed by the amount of time and effort that goes into painting them. I'd like to give the same treatment to some of my board game miniatures, but I don't have the patience for it.
FDmiO.jpg

I don't know how the fuck you did that (seriously... did you go through all the issues or something?) but you've done well to knock that together. Now, are you sure he did a review of Road Rash for 3DO? Because I'm *certain* that was an Andrew Humphries joint. I remember it really well because there's some line about how the game looks much better than "I think I need an incontinence pad, whoops too late" and it made me guffaw like a fucking idiot every time. (fake edit: I've even mentioned it on GAF before!) But if you've actually seen in the magazine itself that it's not by him, then I'll stand corrected.
And IIRC, that was the issue that had the PS1 on the cover (yellow background with the PS1 in the foreground).
There is every chance in the world that Andrew Humphries did that review. The only reason I say that is because I caught myself once or twice noting a review that he had done as one of Russel's but only a minute or so after the fact. I'd put good money on one slipping through without me realising. I have no idea why my brain did that to me.

And yes, I did go through my old magazines. On a Saturday afternoon and evening.

That's how cool I am, ladies. Please form an orderly line and you'll all get a chance.

markot

Banned

JU6Ow.jpg

MbMEs.jpg

TScFh.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRsPheErBj8

But I have a citation!

Also I almost got into Warhammer before I realised I have a child so could never afford the time and money required to do it properly, so bloody awesome. Great shots Danoss.

Shaneus

There is every chance in the world that Andrew Humphries did that review. The only reason I say that is because I caught myself once or twice noting a review that he had done as one of Russel's but only a minute or so after the fact. I'd put good money on one slipping through without me realising. I have no idea why my brain did that to me.

And yes, I did go through my old magazines. On a Saturday afternoon and evening.

That's how cool I am, ladies. Please form an orderly line and you'll all get a chance.
They'll have to get behind me first <3

You're a good man, man... I truly appreciate your dedication! I'm almost tempted to do the same (or similar) myself... but I'm way too hungover and my place is messy enough as it is without having Hyper magazines all over the place :/

I can't believe I was contemplating getting rid of them. I must be a fucking idiot.

Deeku

So I totally have a 4 year old living with me for the next week or so, it's just like that anime!

Kids are pretty great, except the part where you have to keep them alive and clean and stuff. Good thing someone else is dealing with that and not me!

I fell asleep during the new Tinker Bell movie lol.

Yagharek

Oh man you cracked me up. :)
HDMI cable to blame, mine did the same thing some time ago (cheap one I got off ebay).

Yep, switching cables seems to have fixed it.

Oddly it was the same cable I used to connect my 360 up with, but it never had any problems there until it was hooked up to the ps3.

However this is after a move so maybe something got tweaked in the packing/unpacking.

Shaneus

3 Out of 4 are new IP for this generation!

Go back to Spreadsheet Simulation 2012 while you wait for the SS2013 preload to start ;)
Oh damnit, for half a second I thought SS2013 was a new version of Sensible Soccer.

You horrible, horrible man.

On a similar note, I'd love to see either a direct port (ie. emulated) or HD version of Cannon Fodder. I fucking loved that game :(

It isn't even on iOS or GOG :/

Danoss

Does anyone else hate how they order Chinese and then it's hotter than lava?

I can't think of any hot Chinese dishes. Though, I'm usually the guy complaining that it's not hot enough.

Hrmm, now I feel like a Laksa (I know it's Thai/Malay). There's a great Laksa place (Laksa House, I think) in the QVB, might have to make a trip in there. Any SydGAF feel like joining me at some point?

Clipper

There's Szechuan dishes, Danoss. And I'm also one of the guys who really loves spicy hot food. And I think I know that place, and it is indeed good. Don't know if I can spare another day off the diet to join you, though... Perhaps we could finally get that idea of doing an official SydGAF meetup there after a board games day or something...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom