• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 7 - We hang out IRL now and be social and shit. (Also, Adrian's Revenge)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kritz

Banned
Most of the fun at chinese restaurants in Australia (I don't know if its 'authentic') is Mongolian Lamb on a fucking loud sizzle plate.

That right there is up in the gods with raisin toast and bacon as supreme food.

Which, for better or worse, was essentially my diet this week.

Danoss

There's Szechuan dishes, Danoss. And I'm also one of the guys who really loves spicy hot food. And I think I know that place, and it is indeed good. Don't know if I can spare another day off the diet to join you, though... Perhaps we could finally get that idea of doing an official SydGAF meetup there after a board games day or something...

All that coconut milk wouldn't do your diet much good at all. I should start eating better very soon too, or just eat less. If your diet allows in the future, let me know and I'm in. I'm currently waiting for a friend to return from the US so we can go out for some Dumplings, at Din Tai Fung I think.

Not sure if/when SydGAF will ever happen again. The board game contingent is "and then there were three..." I could see that coming when one of us was reading a book at the table between turns. I don't have my hopes up for anything outside that, I think we need to travel interstate for anyone to bother turning up/showing an interest.

Rezbit

Played Pandemic for hours today. Was awesome. Had an under 50% winning ratio which I actually think is pretty cool. When a big chain reaction outbreak happens you just sit there despondent lol.

Danoss

Played Pandemic for hours today. Was awesome. Had an under 50% winning ratio which I actually think is pretty cool. When a big chain reaction outbreak happens you just sit there despondent lol.

Sounds like Pandemic. Glad you enjoyed yourself with it.

Was that on normal difficulty? I have no idea how anyone beats it on hard, they must be very clever.

Rezbit

Sounds like Pandemic. Glad you enjoyed yourself with it.

Was that on normal difficulty? I have no idea how anyone beats it on hard, they must be very clever.

Yeah we had a few games on easy first, lost the first game but won pretty easily next game. Moved up to medium and the success rate dropped a bit. Some we were awfully close to winning (one turn to make the final cure style) and got stitched up by outbreaks. Another game black virus just went nuts and killed the world quickly.

Torchlight 2 is like a big warm hug. Going to need a new mouse by the time I am sick of my Berserker.

Why would you play only the 3rd game in a series Vince? If I only played Halo 3 I wouldn't have any nice things to say about the IP ;)

Not sure if/when SydGAF will ever happen again. The board game contingent is "and then there were three..." I could see that coming when one of us was reading a book at the table between turns. I don't have my hopes up for anything outside that, I think we need to travel interstate for anyone to bother turning up/showing an interest.

Oh hey. I don't have set dates yet, but I'll be down in Sydney around November 24th. If people are keen for a general meet up I'd love to meet everyone ^^

Yagharek

Torchlight 2 is like a big warm hug. Going to need a new mouse by the time I am sick of my Berserker.

Why would you play only the 3rd game in a series Vince? If I only played Halo 3 I wouldn't have any nice things to say about the IP ;)

Referring to uncharted?

I played all 3 of them. Like halo, #3 was complete dogshit.
Unlike halo, #2 was the best entry.
Although uncharted 2 had a shit boss at the end like halo 2 so ...

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Man how good is borderlands? That's all I've got to say. It's rad.

Not very. That's all I've got to say. It's bland and reminds me of rage, which probably reminded people of Borderlands, but with actual oomph behind the weapons and a whole lot more poorly designed ideas.

Borderlands 2 is something I should be able to finish. But it's certainly not something I can play for long periods of time. I also dislike the co-op, I like the idea of it of course, I just hate the way it's done.

TL2 somewhat falls into the same feeling category as BL2, Even though I enjoy torchlight more from a design standpoint and general feel / play. Both are just hard to play for more than say 2 hours at a time.

There was a good chunk of gaming done this weekend. 7 hours or so of borderlands 2, 2 or 3 hours of torchlight 2, a few games of dota 2 and some guild wars 2. Full of two's this weekend that's for sure.

Will probably get repeated next weekend.

Fuck I don't want to go to work tomorrow, Need more time off to play silly games.

You played 7 hours of a game you thought wasn't very good? Man I can barely do 7 hours of a game I DO find awesome! Seems strange.

The Vita to me is the same situation as the WiiU. Similar lineup, will be dependant on a growing library to end up with my hard earned dollar. If there was $50 slashed from the Vita I would probably jump in at this point with nearly a dozen games I would pick up easily.

Jintor

I only got it 'cos deek was throwing dat crazy deal around. I really like the hardware, it's super slick, but I don't really own a good smartphone or a tablet of any description so I might just be dazzled by the fanciness of it all.

I kind of want katamari and gravity daze.

Despite having bought BL2, I can't say how it plays since I decided to go back and try and finish Borderlands 1, which I had bought cheaply back in early 2010, played 10 hours before giving up on it and selling it. Then I looked at what was coming down the pipe this year (which wasn't much and) decided to go and re-buy it to try it again.

I'm hooked. I don't know if I can go straight onto BL2 when I finish it tomorrow or Tuesday (I still have Sleeping Dogs with only an hour logged so far, and Jet Set Buggio).

JSR is JSR with all of it's 2000-era jankiness but I love it despite how frustrating it controls. But it has hung on me a few times so far.

I have memories of being unable to complete a bit of the original on my modded PAL Dreamcast playing a Japanese import thanks to timing issues which were fixed by playing the same save game on my brother's Japanese console.

Rahk

yar. A lot of cool sounding Defense jobs like this one are based there too :(
I actually applied for that about three years ago. Didn't end up going further than the initial interview/test as only the Navy job equivalent was available and found another job not long after that.

I still occasionally think about going for it again.

I only got it 'cos deek was throwing dat crazy deal around. I really like the hardware, it's super slick, but I don't really own a good smartphone or a tablet of any description so I might just be dazzled by the fanciness of it all.

I kind of want katamari and gravity daze.

Gravity Daze is pretty cool dude. Should be right up your alley.

Shaneus

How much was Deek selling it for? I'm curious to see how much they go for second hand. I figure that given that it's basically dead in the water, prices should tumble quicker than the PSP.

Yagharek

The resident evil 6 demo thread is the perfect example of OTs accepting no dissenting opinions. It wasn't always like this, as a lot of people voiced disappointment at the demo, but fans have gotten louder, detractors - even long time series fans - have given up and now it's just a circle jerk like the uncharted 3 OT.

Not very. That's all I've got to say. It's bland and reminds me of rage, which probably reminded people of Borderlands, but with actual oomph behind the weapons and a whole lot more poorly designed ideas.

Borderlands 2 is something I should be able to finish. But it's certainly not something I can play for long periods of time. I also dislike the co-op, I like the idea of it of course, I just hate the way it's done.

TL2 somewhat falls into the same feeling category as BL2, Even though I enjoy torchlight more from a design standpoint and general feel / play. Both are just hard to play for more than say 2 hours at a time.

There was a good chunk of gaming done this weekend. 7 hours or so of borderlands 2, 2 or 3 hours of torchlight 2, a few games of dota 2 and some guild wars 2. Full of two's this weekend that's for sure.

Will probably get repeated next weekend.

Fuck I don't want to go to work tomorrow, Need more time off to play silly games.

I get what you're saying, but I also really loved Rage.

But it was a corridor shooter masquerading as a open world RPG, Borderlands to me is other way round. All about the weapons and abilities.

And there is so much more colour to Borderlands. Not actual colour mind, but colour as in characters and humour. Handsome Jack and Claptrap are both hilarious.

I haven't even had a chance to try co op yet. Which is almost entirely why I bought the game. Mates haven't been able to play when I have, or have been way to beyond my character

The resident evil 6 demo thread is the perfect example of OTs accepting no dissenting opinions. It wasn't always like this, as a lot of people voiced disappointment at the demo, but fans have gotten louder, detractors - even long time series fans - have given up and now it's just a circle jerk like the uncharted 3 OT.
Most OTs are like that. But why would you want to wreck their fun? If you don't like the game, just avoid the OT? They just seem like a place to be excited about a game to me.

Rezbit

OTs have long been the place of circle jerks. Stupid thing is, that makes people want to make a new thread saying "X game sucks," which just ends up in a shit storm. If that Wii U event taught us anything, it's that the overall quality of video game discourse is still as bad as it was (worse?) when Super Nintendo and Megadrive were out and being argued about by children under 10. Probably worse because these are grown-arse men.

Yagharek

Most OTs are like that. But why would you want to wreck their fun? If you don't like the game, just avoid the OT? They just seem like a place to be excited about a game to me.

Wreck their fun? Eh, that excuse holds no weight. What if you buy a game and are bitterly disappointed in it being garbage, like uncharted 3 for example.

Apparently you are just trolling if you express even mild discontent and you should be thanking the gods it exists, you ungrateful entitled swine!

Legitimate criticism is not allowed. Reading that thread today shows they are already prepared to lynch reviews that are under 9.

Danoss

Legitimate criticism is not allowed. Reading that thread today shows they are already prepared to lynch reviews that are under 9.

Kritz.net should advertise more, those sorts would love that site. They wouldn't get half the stuff there anyway, but they only look at the score.

Sal! FIFA 12 for $69 at DSE. ;)

Heading back to Melbourne. Boo.
Yay!

Most fans have said their piece and are letting the desperate fanboys scream at the top of their lungs in there that there is no need to panic and things will be okay and the franchise raping will stop and Capcom truly does care about making high quality games rather than high selling games.

The actual OT will be the delicious desert to this shit sandwich.

Wreck their fun? Eh, that excuse holds no weight. What if you buy a game and are bitterly disappointed in it being garbage, like uncharted 3 for example.

Apparently you are just trolling if you express even mild discontent and you should be thanking the gods it exists, you ungrateful entitled swine!

Legitimate criticism is great, what makes it hard to accept though is when the criticism is led by hyperbolic terms such as "garbage".

Yagharek

Legitimate criticism is great, what makes it hard to accept though is when the criticism is led by hyperbolic terms such as "garbage".

No hyperbole. It was fundamentally broken in several aspects.
1. Aiming. Yes, it was fixed in a patch but that was after I finished the game and ND denied there was a problem for weeks.
2. Spawning enemies worked exactly like CoD, popping up when you spring past invisible lines.
3. Combat/h2h combat especially was far less than that in UC2, it tried to ape Batman and failed.
4. Drake handled like a wet noodle.
5. Cheap deaths thanks to terrible chase sequences with misleading signposting.
6. Cheat deaths in shootouts by the game pulling you out of a shootout to deal with a fistfight with an approaching goon. Invariably, as soon as it pulled you out of shooting, the sniper you were about to kill decided to wait until you punched the newcomer to death, then he would snipe you dead. No time to avoid, no way to avoid.

These are all pretty big issues in a game that focusses on shooting, hand to hand combat and exploration.

So I repeat, again, RUBBISH.

If a game was fundamentally broken, wouldn't that have prevented you from finishing it? Particularly if the aiming was broken?

Most of those sound like personal grievances with the game than any sort of objective problems.

TBH it didn't seem too different to Uncharted 2 aside from the new aiming style, with the focus on incorporating the melee attack.

I didn't find the aiming to be annoying once I got through a few combat instances, by the 3rd chapter I think it was I was fine with it and pulling off kills just as quickly as the previous 2 games. I understand some people have different play styles, which is why I didn't have much issue with snipers since I use the cover fairly liberally. Never had any issues with the chase sequences either, I actually enjoyed them even more than the ones in Uncharted 2. The jumping between trucks in the desert was an insane amount of fun!

I would rate it just under the second game and easily above the first.

I can understand people not enjoying parts of the game but to call it garbage and fundamentally broken comes across as very over the top to me, but that is the great thing about games, everyone has their own opinion which leads to a wider range of games beign created to target those markets so everybody wins!

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Uncharted 3 just enforced my belief that Naughty Dog has a very long way to go in making a quality third person shooter. I still enjoyed it, but too many of the encounters are rubbish and pre-patch controls were arse.

My main complaints about Uncharted 3 is that it felt like some encounters were thrown in and not playtested enough to allow the areas to flow in the most enjoyable way possible. The sandstorm attack was a good example of an area that just required some extra thinking about how to avoid having the player stuck running form cover to cover rather than making the most of the large environment. The pirate dock area was an example where it worked great as you had so many options to approach from, enemies to focus on first and structure the play.

Oh and the story needed some editing, too much thrown in at points and it didn't flow all the time. Needed a stronger backbone to support the flashbacks, etc.

Yagharek

If a game was fundamentally broken, wouldn't that have prevented you from finishing it? Particularly if the aiming was broken?

Most of those sound like personal grievances with the game than any sort of objective problems.

It became a war of attrition in the end. These arent personal grieveances, the game was a massive step down after UC2 and showed a major lack of polish. I glitched through the environment several times in the last level alone around that fucking water mill bit.

TBH it didn't seem too different to Uncharted 2 aside from the new aiming style, with the focus on incorporating the melee attack.

I didn't find the aiming to be annoying once I got through a few combat instances, by the 3rd chapter I think it was I was fine with it and pulling off kills just as quickly as the previous 2 games. I understand some people have different play styles, which is why I didn't have much issue with snipers since I use the cover fairly liberally. Never had any issues with the chase sequences either, I actually enjoyed them even more than the ones in Uncharted 2. The jumping between trucks in the desert was an insane amount of fun!

I would rate it just under the second game and easily above the first.

I can understand people not enjoying parts of the game but to call it garbage and fundamentally broken comes across as very over the top to me, but that is the great thing about games, everyone has their own opinion which leads to a wider range of games beign created to target those markets so everybody wins!

You misunderstand just as you did last year when I described the problem then. This is not me, it is the game.

I was crouched behind cover, lining up a sniper with my own rifle. Another enemy spawns behind me, approaches, and the game FORCES drake out of cover in order to fight him. Literally dragged into a fight against my will like a magnet at a scrapyard. I was happy to keep shooting the sniper then take on the new dude, as a good game like Metal Gear Solid 3 or Splinter Cell or Halo or Uncharted 2 would have let me do, but Uncharted 3 had other ideas.

It was a frequent and frustrating design flaw. A fundamentally broken design choice.

Uncharted 3 just enforced my belief that Naughty Dog has a very long way to go in making a quality third person shooter. I still enjoyed it, but too many of the encounters are rubbish and pre-patch controls were arse.

Thank you.

Yagharek

This is a legitimate question, do you like any games that aren't on a Nintendo platform?

Plenty. Would you like a list or would you like to make an ad hominem attack?

I notice you have decided to go down the "discredit his opinion" line of reasoning rather than addressing legitimate concerns about Uncharted 3. Note the '3', as Uncharted 1 and 2 were great fun. These problems I've listed are exclusive to the third game.

But if its easier for you to throw the label 'nintendo fanboy' rather than accept legitimate criticism, go right ahead.

Plenty. Would you like a list or would you like to make an ad hominem attack? I see you've gone down the "discredit all dissenting opinion" line of reasoning rather than addressing what were real problems with Uncharted 3. (Note the '3', UC1 and 2 were excellent).

You know what an ad hominem is right. that was a legitimate question?

I haven't even played Uncharted 3, I was seriously making an observation that I've never seen you describe a non-Nintendo game as anything but 'garbage', I'm clearly wrong if you say you could list them.

Yagharek

You know what an ad hominem is right. that was a legitimate question?

Indeed, it's known colloquially as playing the man not the ball. Which is what you are doing.

I haven't even played Uncharted 3

So you are invested in the question why, exactly? Reptile has played it and has a vastly different opinion of it, responding to my criticisms of it with his own experience. Your response however was to ask if I'm a fanboy, despite not having played it yourself.

Not even worth the effort.

hamchan

I actually think the Uncharted 3 OT was a super negative thread. First it was mostly about the aiming issue for the first month, plus there was a lot people in there that didn't think the game was anywhere near as good as UC2, myself included. Then after the initial fervor it was pretty much everyone talking about how bad the multiplier was because boy, it sure was bad.

Circlejerk threads I see are mostly Platinum games threads and Zelda.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom