• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 7 - We hang out IRL now and be social and shit. (Also, Adrian's Revenge)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like you had similar issues that RandomVince had with Uncharted 3, Planet_JASE.

I don't really have anything else worthwhile to add to the discussion since I haven't played it (and my earlier input was with around the--IMO hyperbolic--wording Vince was using more than his points).

It sounds like the disappointment with the game was partly due to high expectation. Have you given all the games in the series another look-in more recently to see whether you have the same opinion of them?
Eh. While I won't say I'm completely blame free from how my expectations helped form my initial response to the game, I think I mitigated most of that when I took my 4 month break from it.

When I went back, I still had issues with the fundamental design and mechanics of the game. Also, the third game seemed to rely too much on escape the burning/exploding/capsizing/crumbling boat/building/castle/tourist attraction for the major moments of excitement and non-shooting action.

So yeah, I would not rate it as the best Uncharted and based upon my memories I'm counting it as my least favoured of the series.

Also, I'm not sure if I'm willing to take the chance of going back and playing the previous two instalments; the memories I have of those a good and there's every chance that I'll see more flaws with an additional playthrough. At this point I'm not short of games to play, so until I have absolutely nothing new to play and want to get nostalgic, I think I'll leave the rose-coloured glasses on.

GAF hype has led to me being disapointed in quite a few games that I would still consider good, but nowhere near as great as the hype made me expect.

Borderlands 1 is a big one. Skyward Sword another.

Choc

Banned
Could somebody please help me out here, I really don't know much about consumer law etc.

I got my iPhone 5 last Friday through Optus after much drama, but as many others have found, the phone was damaged right out of the box:

XHMCJl.jpg

It has marks like that all around the glass on the back and it's really noticeable and distracting. I called Apple and they said Optus have to replace it as I bought it through them, which I didn't expect as I had my Optus iPhone 4 replaced at an Apple store once.

Anyway, Optus tried to tell me that they couldn't do anything about it because the phone was taken out of the box in the store (when they activated the phone/sim) and I should have noticed the damage then so it was my fault. After some argument they said I could bring everything back, they'd send it away for repair and I'd receive it back within 2-3 weeks, which seemed a bit annoying considering I bought it 3 days ago.

Someone linked me to this and from what I can gather from Page 30, I'm entitled to a remedy through Apple?

Fairly sure that is wrong and if you take it to an apple store they will swap. The only reason I can think apple would reject is Optus would want the IMEI possibly and network connectivity to lte may rely on that or something. Highly doubt it though. Don't give up until you try an apple store.

Also chances are after the repair it would have the same problem it's highly widespread

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Regarding the iPhone 5 fault out of the box.

Apple has a 10 business day DOA policy on all of their products. Optus might not swap it over, since they are Optus, However you should be able to take it into an Apple store with your receipt and show them that it was damaged.

I'm sure they know about the issue as well since there seems to be a few people who have had the same issue.

You can also call up Apple and talk to them about it. They should be able to tell you what to do from there.

Regarding the iPhone 5 fault out of the box.

Apple has a 10 business day DOA policy on all of their products. Optus might not swap it over, since they are Optus, However you should be able to take it into an Apple store with your receipt and show them that it was damaged.

I'm sure they know about the issue as well since there seems to be a few people who have had the same issue.

You can also call up Apple and talk to them about it. They should be able to tell you what to do from there.
There is a girl working in the paint section of the my local Masters who has tattoos of Shy Guys and Cookie Monster rampaging through the streets of Tokyo.

Thought you'd like to know.

Man

Uncharted 3 was shipped too early. Their animation system was quite glitchy as Drake would react to microscopic flaws in the landscape and start a fall animation or the IK behave weirdly for seemingly nothing. Very shaky. UC2 felt more solidly built in that regard as it didn't feel odd.

Last of Us looks like absolute perfection however in comparison, seems like they have dropped some of the micro IK detection (either that or perfected it) and focused rather on the sum-of-its-parts and I haven't seen anything else compare so far. Looks simply astounding. I guess it also helps that the humans in TLOU move at a real pace and not with the amazing agility of Nathan.

Hoping to get in a game of Pandemic tonight. Wish me luck!

I always think the expectations excuse is a bullshit defence.
Disagree. Mindset plays a big part as to whether you are in a position to enjoy something. If you expect something to be flawless and find something negative (like, say, aiming controls), then it's not outside the realms of possibility for your mood to quickly change.

Hard to be disappointed with something if you don't expect much out of it.

I think its dangerous to put words into people's mouths..
Sure is. Lucky for us then I said that "it sounds like" at the start of the highlighted sentence. Unless you think I was saying it's dangerous to put words into people's mouths?
Waiting for inception dog gif

Fusebox

Banned
http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/monorail-rescue-as-power-cut-20120924-26grh.html

A rescue operation using a cherry-picker will continue this afternoon to remove people from Sydney's Monorail line following a power outage today.

The line went dead just after 1pm today, people on the train said. It was not until over an hour later that NSW Fire and Rescue could begin lifting passengers from the cars.

At 3.30pm, fewer than half the passengers on board had been removed from one train, stuck between Darling Harbour and Chinatown.

Some passengers were reported to be suffering from the heat inside the monorail cars which also lost air-conditioning when they stopped, NSW Fire and Rescue Superintendent Tom Cooper told AAP. He said there were about 50 people in each unit.

An ambulance spokesman said paramedics assessed at least 30 passengers for heat-related dehydration.

Oops.

Damn it. I actually had no plans to go to Masters. And tats, no matter how rad, aren't really my jam.
I'm not sure, but there might've been an Okami one in there too. Also, lip rings and those ear tube type things. I took one look at her and thought of AusGAF.

We bought a tin of quarter-strength tin of Dulux Hogs Bristle from her and she was most helpful.

Salazar

I'm not sure, but there might've been an Okami one in there too. Also, lip rings and those ear tube type things. I took one look at her and thought of AusGAF.

No remotest PNG-style length of timber through her septum, no romance, I'm afraid.

London is cold and miserable. Good to see nothing has changed weather wise.

Don't complain. Find a Patisserie Valerie and order a hot chocolate and a strawberry mille feuille. HRRRNGG.

Don't complain. Find a Patisserie Valerie and order a hot chocolate and a strawberry mille feuille. HRRRNGG.

Not complaining, was just hoping for nice weather haha. Though much nicer then last time I visited. That does sound nice. Will try and get there for lunch.

You'd probably know, any recommendations for clothes shopping (mr porter kind of selection) or is the price difference negligible not to bother and just buy online.

Salazar

You'd probably know, any recommendations for clothes shopping (mr porter kind of selection) or is the price difference negligible not to bother and just buy online.

The only place I've really clothes-shopped in London (apart from Oxford St for shoes/sneakers) is Covent Garden, which is worth a look just because it's nice to browse. The Paul Smith store is good for a wander. I basically spent so much there that I had no incentive to look around in any depth at other places.

The staff fuck off if you want, and are extraordinarily, intelligently helpful if you want, which is a tremendous thing.

Also, the Tintin store is godlike.

You guys are too harsh. Uncharted 3 was great. The scenery was possibly even more stunning, I thought The hallucinations were neat, The story was fun even if I didn't like the ending much. The shooting... I've never liked but that's just cause I'm bad at shooters. Also, half the fun is in the anticipation!!

We bought a tin of quarter-strength tin of Dulux Hogs Bristle from her and she was most helpful.
She has stretchers? D: I thought you said she was attractive! Should I know what a masters is?

Fairly sure that is wrong and if you take it to an apple store they will swap. The only reason I can think apple would reject is Optus would want the IMEI possibly and network connectivity to lte may rely on that or something. Highly doubt it though. Don't give up until you try an apple store.

Also chances are after the repair it would have the same problem it's highly widespread

I originally had an appointment today at an Apple store but I called in advance to check stock because it's a long drive there. She said 'would you take a defective tv you bought from Harvey Norman back to Samsung or Harvey Norman?'

She has stretchers? D: I thought you said she was attractive! Should I know what a masters is?
I never said she was attractive. AusGAF just inferred it :p

She is cute, but wouldn't've been my cup of tea as a single man, to be honest. I thought though that her having indelibly and permanently committed to displaying the Cookie Monster and Nintendo characters on her arms would render her relevant to AusGAF's interests.

Masters is a hardware store in the vein of Bunnings, but with better lighting and air conditioning.

Salazar

Hardware store.

Reputedly more lady-friendly than Bunnings.*

*Not really. Bunnings (their rival) commissioned a shonky research firm to put out a report saying that tradies were being made uncomfortable by Masters' lady-friendly approach. Totally bizarre.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Melb Gaf
30th September
2pm Beer Delux

attending:
Holycheck

Tentative:

Not Attending:

maybe i just wanted friends to watch the football with ;_;

Choc

Banned
If Qantas wants to know why its dying here is a good reason

perth to sydney flight, both cabins (economy and business), no inflight entertainment. That is a five hour flight.

Virgin has more comfortable seats and IFE on every coast to coast flight.

Qantas, sort it the fuck out.

Yes IFE is a luxury but if your competitors guarantee it on coast to coast flights, you need to as well to compete.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
If Qantas wants to know why its dying here is a good reason

perth to sydney flight, both cabins (economy and business), no inflight entertainment. That is a five hour flight.

Virgin has more comfortable seats and IFE on every coast to coast flight.

Qantas, sort it the fuck out.

Yes IFE is a luxury but if your competitors guarantee it on coast to coast flights, you need to as well to compete.

Citation Needed works so well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom