• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 7 - We hang out IRL now and be social and shit. (Also, Adrian's Revenge)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gazunta

totaliser.gif

Fuck, I love video games sometimes.

I'm finishing the next Blow The Cartridge book tonight. In addition to 20 pages of comics about classic games it will have a 13 page story about Street Fighter 2 in it that has not appeared on the website and turned out really nice. If you come to Supanova in November you can read it! And I will totally give you a high five.

But Jesus FUCK do not let me go to sleep tonight without sending it off to the printers! KEEP ME AWAKE GUYSSSSS

Choc

Banned
also bugger you for having that game early :p

final code thats gone to RTM? or a 'review build'? Clearly a burnt DVD due to debug but yeah is it done?

Dead Man

You could have simply said you dont like the games. Point is, you said words to the effect of "no sale" purely due to region locking.

Since apparently today is a day where all posts must be taken at face value only, I thought I would double check.

I have also said that, although I owuld not have bought near launch anyway. Region Locking is something I will not support. I haven't bought anything region locked since PS2, and the region locking on the stores/DLC PS3 has is enough to shit me to tears.

Jintor

also bugger you for having that game early :p

final code thats gone to RTM? or a 'review build'? Clearly a burnt DVD due to debug but yeah is it done?

it says review build. I'll let you know if the tech tree stops halfway through. choc do my media law assignment for me so i can play xcom all week.

assuming the debug lets me

hamchan

I'm pretty much going to ignore all the bullshit on ausgaf today. Everyone seems to be having a case of the mondays.

Reptile's stance of not buying a Wii U because of region locking seems absolutely fine to me. Don't know why you have to go and label it bullshit.

As someone who is mainly just reading these arguments instead of participating, I have to say that you especially seem to be in a bad mood this Monday.

Yagharek

This is a legitimate question, do you like any games that aren't on a Nintendo platform?

Accused of being a fanboy

As I said, you say you aren't negative towards only non-Nintendo games, that's fine. It really isn't a big deal, it was just an observation (that I said I must have been wrong about). Carry on.

Fake apology

The Vincey doth protest too much.

Accusation

Console fanboi

Accusation

I would have thought you would be the last one to question people expressing outrage about things based on principles rather than their actual affect on [me][you][delete whichever is inappropriate], especially in the area of consumer rights. I admit to basically agreeing that NOE has not really let me down so far in terms of stuff I like, but as an endemic thingymagig present in gaming going forward it's annoying as hell.

Rage post

Not Jint, but even just on the Wii there's three, possibly four, that I've only been able to get thanks to homebrew workarounds. Captain Rainbow, Excitebots, Kamen Rider: Super Climax Heros (an upcoming release, but I've got it preordered) and that Kirby Collection. Kingdom Hearts Re: Chain of Memories and Super Dimension Fortress Macross on Playstation 2. Mobile Suit Gundam: Pilots' Locus and the Japanese versions of Donkey Konga on GCN. A few more Macross games on PS1.

The first half of the Final Fantasy series is only available locally through later ports. Chrono Trigger, too. Dragon Quest I-III and VII are still unavailable at all.

Or is it okay for me to complain about region locking because I bought the systems anyway? Region locking is always a negative and trying to call people out like this is just ridiculous.

Edit: I see you've clarified and so most of this post is irrelevant. Feel free to disregard.

Rage post edited after re-reading and finally understanding

I'm not holding off on a WiiU because of the region locking.
I'm not buying because the Wii had a garbage lineup of games compared to most consoles recently.
I'm not buying because I haven't bought a console at launch since I was a teenager full of stupidity in my head that I neeeeeeeeeeeeed it right now rather than wait until it has some games that I can already get similar experiences for.
Region locking is just another stupid move that makes me less interested in paying full price when the most logical and intelligent decision is to wait until it has more than 3 interesting games available to have sit in my house and gather dust with the rest of my 360/PS3 games.

Rage post

Of course, the issue is with everyone else :lol

Sarcasm

I have also said that, although I owuld not have bought near launch anyway. Region Locking is something I will not support. I haven't bought anything region locked since PS2, and the region locking on the stores/DLC PS3 has is enough to shit me to tears.

So I missed your post, but it wasnt trolling so I guess free pass

Reptile's stance of not buying a Wii U because of region locking seems absolutely fine to me. Don't know why you have to go and label it bullshit.

As someone who is mainly just reading these arguments instead of participating, I have to say that you especially seem to be in a bad mood this Monday.

I've been in a good mood. The problem is that a few people (namely sutton, reptile, jintor and bunny) have all at one time or another misread my posts either deliberately or by adding their own mood's perception to the mix.

I have been crystal clear in my comments, and copped bullshit responses in return.

I dont give a flying fuck who buys what or not, thats not my concern. But apparently asking questions in this thread is out of order. Being disappointed in a game makes me a fanboy of something else entirely. And you will even notice that two of the posts in question quoted above include edits by said authors admitting they misread my reply initially.

You're all having a case of the mondays and I'm getting the stick for it, or so it seems.

Oh actually the PSPSlim was the last console I bought at launch because it was an awesome Crisis Core edition.

Also I will be buying a WiiU at some point. It has Pikmin 3. Region locking just means I will be getting it later rather than sooner, probably once Freeloader or whatever appears. I won't support the WiiU during the important launch period just the same way I didn't buy Persona 4 Arena and won't until my support will be of little financial gain to those involved. This is indeed a harsh standpoint but I think the industry would really gain from going region free and allowing the market to continue to dictate future trends in how the industry can survive.

EDIT: to be honest that was a condescending post rather than a rage post to follow up your condescending post to me :)

Yagharek

EDIT: to be honest that was a condescending post rather than a rage post to follow up your condescending post to me :)

Condescend all you like, you made a comment and I asked if you had bought any region locked consoles before. Apparently that was a "stupid question". Don't pretend you weren't already in a hostile mood.

Condescend all you like, you made a comment and I asked if you had bought any region locked consoles before. Apparently that was a "stupid question". Don't pretend you weren't already in a hostile mood.

You asked a question you already knew the answer too, seemed like a stupid/loaded question to me. I'll admit to have been playing along but I didn't think it was that big a deal so sorry if it has felt like I have been negative towards you personally rather than just the topics at hand.

Shaneus

Me thinking of buying THPS HD on 360 as I really want cheevos in it to make me keep playing as the old formula is still great despite the fucking terrible job they did bringing it into HD. Then seeing what the last TH title was in the main series (Proving Ground back in 2007), noticing that there was a random Disney game in the grouping, which was made by Toys For Bob on the THPS4 engine. Probably a much better game than anything after THUG2

:(

Also lol at edit. Owned by Activision Shaneus. OWNED BY ACTIVISION. If you want Star Control 3 to have buy-as-you-go figurines that give you shit in game maybe.
HOLY FUCK HOLY FUCK THAT SOUNDS AWESOME I GOTTA EMAIL THIS TO ACTIVISION
I meant Ur-Quan. And I knew it was owned by Atari (remember Atari released Test Drive Unlimited, which was an Accolade IP?) after they bought out all the Accolade IP yonks ago.

There already was a Star Control 3 as well, but it was a bit arse and more a story driven adventure as opposed to a "space sim" with an interwoven storyline (I just rebought it on GOG, despite having a boxed copy on CD). But if they want to make a game which is basically Skylanders but instead I can buy a figurine to drop onto a crappy plastic spaceship to play some third-person platformer thingy set in the StarCon universe, I wouldn't complain.

I mean, who would complain if they were "forced" to buy toys that look like these guys?
N6dTB.gif

BqMaW.gif

qsWQo.gif

cYPMf.gif

e1595.gif

DCfk0.gif

(Um... I don't know why I'd want a figurine of that last one... I just would)

And yeah, I remember trying to hunt down that Disney skate game a while back (or an ISO of it to test on Dolphin) but don't recall having any luck. But from memory, it was supposed to play exactly like the THPS games of the time.

Yagharek

You asked a question you already knew the answer too, seemed like a stupid/loaded question to me. I'll admit to have been playing along but I didn't think it was that big a deal so sorry if it has felt like I have been negative towards you personally rather than just the topics at hand.

I dont actually know what you have though, thats the thing. I could make an educated guess but most games are multiplatform these days. But I do feel piled on today and most of it has been other people's fault entirely.

Congrats Brownlow winner! He had a great season.
Not sarcasm, just not sure if Brownlow is live everywhere?

Well I guess my main focus of gaming would be Steam which does indeed follow a shitty region locking formula, even worse than the consoles since it has Australia as a region rather than just PAL! If that becomes a trend on the next generation of consoles I may go out in a blaze of karmichael hunts all over AusGAF and SteamGAF in retaliation.

Without GreenManGaming and cheap Steamworks codes from places like GamersGate I would probably speak out more against Steam.

Just going to quote this image because it is awesome.
Also SC3 isn't real in my mind :(

There's very little region locking on Steam. Plenty of region gouging though.

Well I guess that is a big part of my hatred of region locking, since it makes it even more transparent that it only exists to drag more money out of people when in reality it doesn't need to happen.

WHICH IS ALSO WHY BANDCAMP IS AWESOME AND EVERYONE SHOULD PUT THEIR MUSIC UP ON THERE PLEASE

I would have bought a 3DS ages ago if it wasn't region locked. Since roughly half my DS games are Japanese imports (and only 2 I bought in Australia) I couldn't decide which 3DS to buy. And I SHOULDN'T HAVE TO. Buying a Japanese 3DS would be a big pain to charge and import. Figuring out which one to buy was too much of a hassle, so I just gave up =/ The way I see it, region locking actually encourages piracy. I can't see many real benefits to region locking, and the negatives far outweigh the possibility of people buying cheaper games from overseas. We live in an increasingly globalised world, get with the times region lockers! *shakes fist at cloud*

Yagharek

Are you seriously expending all this effort denying that you're a Nintendo fanboy Vince?

What has this to do with anything? Nothing? Nope, thought not.

I would have bought a 3DS ages ago if it wasn't region locked. Since roughly half my DS games are Japanese imports (and only 2 I bought in Australia) I couldn't decide which 3DS to buy. And I SHOULDN'T HAVE TO. Buying a Japanese 3DS would be a big pain to charge and import. Figuring out which one to buy was too much of a hassle, so I just gave up =/ The way I see it, region locking actually encourages piracy. I can't see many real benefits to region locking, and the negatives far outweigh the possibility of people buying cheaper games from overseas. We live in an increasingly globalised world, get with the times region lockers! *shakes fist at cloud*

Unless your JP version games are DSi region locked, they will still all work on a PAL 3DS.

Uhh... I was going to reply to something but it was too many pages ago.

Oh yes, cookie I'm just sticking with the stock Nexus 7 ROM for now. I was planing on playing Fallout (got the GOG version working on it this morning!), some SCUMM games and maybe that Cthulu game in the current indiegala.com (check it out, it looks quite good!). And maybe watch that free copy of Transformers 3 if I feel like slitting my wrists.

Avoided Vince's scathing post o' haters. Probably our last discussion today was too many pages ago.

Mark of the Ninja is quite fun! Played the demo and had planned to pick it up when cheap (coming to Steam next month so will be sooner rather than later) but got a free copy so that settled that decision. Sort of a Metroid vibe without the exploration or maybe Shadow Complex without the shooting. Probably not as good as either and I bet it'll piss me off later in the game.

Didn't get to play Pandemic. Have a Torchlight II session lined up tomorrow so hopefully Wednesday.

Wii U being region free makes no difference to me. Not because I'm not planning on buying it (I'm skeptical but remain open) but because NOE did pretty well with the Wii and as long as I can get cheap games from the UK I'll be fine with it... I don't feel like I've missed out at least.

(Video) games!

Jintor

That's a rage post? It's more like a miffed post. I didn't even swear.

Like I've been saying, a lack of VinceRage(TM) at region locking seems decidedly uncharacteristic given the vitriol you reserve for, generally speaking, the other ways in which companies conduct their game-related businesses. But I guess you already gave your answer.

Yagharek

I know (I can just play them on my DS anyway), but what about 3DS games I want to buy? >.>

Dare I ask which ones? And I assume you can read japanese text well.

That's a rage post? It's more like a miffed post. I didn't even swear.

Like I've been saying, a lack of VinceRage(TM) at region locking seems decidedly uncharacteristic given the vitriol you reserve for, generally speaking, the other ways in which companies conduct their game-related businesses. But I guess you already gave your answer.

It was a highly accusatory tone in that post.

And as for my answer, no, I dont like region locking. It just doesnt affect me whilst other things tend to from time to time.

Deeku

Just get a JP 3ds shan, it's all you really need and you won't exactly miss out on anything. Only downside is jp games are expensive! Oh and you won't be able to impulse buy local bargain games.

Omikron

So much angst in the last few pages. Amazing.

Suggest you all chill.

Also suggest Borderlands 2 is fun. Go play it or something something.

Dare I ask which ones? And I assume you can read japanese text well.
I'd just prefer to play games in Japanese, I guess. Buying in English is kind of becoming a crutch for me. I get nervous about possibly not understanding something, thus my hesitation to buy a Japanese-only 3DS.
Just get a JP 3ds shan, it's all you really need and you won't exactly miss out on anything. Only downside is jp games are expensive! Oh and you won't be able to impulse buy local bargain games.

lol, its like buying nintendo first party games every time! Lack of impulse buys is probably not a bad thing. I guess I can always find some bargins at book-off if I ever get back to Japan ( ;.; I'm starting to think I'll never get back )

Shaneus

Just going to quote this image because it is awesome.
Also SC3 isn't real in my mind :(

That image IS awesome. It should be our honorary some-kind-of-celebration/party.gif. MelbGAF gif?!?

And honestly SC3 wasn't a bad game, it was just a bad game in context of SC2. On it's own, it's actually not that bad (and TBH, I completed SC3 before SC2).

Fun fact: I only found out about Star Control 2 because I was a huge nerd and loved to listen to .mod files "back in the day". Got them mostly from mates, a handful were from SC2. This was the one that sold me. (yes, I converted it to MP3 and uploaded it because none of the YT videos used the filtering I remember hearing it through. Dedicated++)

This was also a favourite. Yup, huge nerd.

One more: The music in this demo/intro is pretty damn rad and actually wouldn't sound too bad in a club with some re-editing and tweaking.

Danoss

So much angst in the last few pages. Amazing.

Suggest you all chill.

Also suggest Borderlands 2 is fun. Go play it or something something.

Even I agree.

Everyone go play some board games, they're region-free, I promise. A guaranteed good time.

Fredescu

What has this to do with anything? Nothing? Nope, thought not.

Really? That big long post and most of your rage today seem to come from some sense of indignation at being "accused" of being a fanboy. I put that in quotation marks because everyone knows you're a huge Nintendo fanboy, so accusation isn't quite the right word. I don't think there's anything wrong with being a huge fan of something. I would call myself a PC fanboy, and have done so in this thread in the past. You seem to want to deny and hide your biases like they're a shameful thing. Everyone has them. Embrace them! Pretending to be above bias and fanboyism seems to be the source of all this indignation. No one really is.

Yagharek

Really? That big long post and most of your rage today seem to come from some sense of indignation at being "accused" of being a fanboy. I put that in quotation marks because everyone knows you're a huge Nintendo fanboy, so accusation isn't quite the right word. I don't think there's anything wrong with being a huge fan of something. I would call myself a PC fanboy, and have done so in this thread in the past. You seem to want to deny and hide your biases like they're a shameful thing. Everyone has them. Embrace them! Pretending to be above bias and fanboyism seems to be the source of all this indignation. No one really is.

I havent raged at all, but the point you are alluding to shows you completely and utterly missed my point. My point was simply that calling someone a fanboy is a stupid statement since its usually a conversation killer as it shows one person is completely uninterested in being reasonable.

I know you think youre making a profound point and all, but it really has nothing to do with anything.

If you want a recap, sutton asked me if I like anything that is not by Nintendo when I was criticising Uncharted 3, as if that made me incapable of appraising the game on its own merits. Then he admits to not even playing the game in question. How would he even know if the game is any good or not? It would be like me jumping in to Danoss' discussions about board games or Omi's Pandemic sessions when they complain about something unique to them.

Where, pray tell, was his comment anything less than completely disingenuous? He wasnt interested in anything other than throwing around accusations and had zero interest in discussing the game as several other people were on that page.

So fred, at least try and read the discussion for context instead of wading in with the unrelated comments you have done today. You missed the point completely, you misread the posts if you even read them at all. Why pretend to want to put in some serious discussion now if you can't even get the subject right?

Yagharek

This was an overreaction: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=42472151&postcount=10947. Maybe it doesn't read like raging to you, but it was a response out of proportion to the question, and set the tone for the rest of your posting.

Oh please. Sutton demonstrated in the post prior that he had no interest in discussion and simply wanted to know whether I liked anything not Nintendo. Despite ample evidence to the contrary in this and other ausgaf threads.

Throwing out accusations is not conducive to a good discussion, nor is it even remotely related to the topic.

I made some comments outlining why I dislike Uncharted 3, sutton basically says "hurr durr do you only like nitnedo srsly?" or a comment which had equal amounts of sincerity and thought behind it. What the fudge does that have to do with Uncharted? I really want you to tell me. Because I sure as shit can't think of any relevance to it.

Anyway, fuck it. I'm done here. Obviously too many people are incapable of reading and discussion without resorting to non sequitur accusations and wish to go down the route of calling everyone a fanboy. I know how discussion like that usually goes. Ive seen forums ruined because of people who insist on accepting that as the norm and it is fucking tedious to put it mildly.

Deeku

I get nervous about possibly not understanding something, thus my hesitation to buy a Japanese-only 3DS.
But you're like N2! Pretty sure you'll be fine since I'm N nothing lol.

( ;.; I'm starting to think I'll never get back )
Didn't you say you were going to study there in the summer? Or plan to?...or maybe that was someone else in the japanese thread.

Ydahs

Personally, I'm not too fussed with a region-locked WiiU... actually, the more I think about it, the more I am. WiiU will get good JP support this time around and there's bound to be a decent RPG only localised for NA. Most titles these days are multiplatform anyway, so it shouldn't be too much of a concern. Still sucks though.

Fredescu

Throwing out accusations is not conducive to a good discussion, nor is it even remotely related to the topic.
My point is, despite knowing this, you went in with fists flying, then later accuse other people of being in a bad mood when you've been perfectly level headed all along. I'm not sticking up for Sutton's original question at all, but your response has been way out of proportion, and you're still going on about it now.

Obviously too many people are incapable of reading and discussion without resorting to non sequitur accusations
Irony.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Can I ask why? Just cause of imports, or other things as well?

imports, and just not being able to access basic features of the 3ds without having to jump through hoops (vpns / dns changes so the 3ds thinks its in america so i can access some features)

and its just fucking easier to walk into a shop.

i've realised i just dont care enough to have to make sure i get a game 1 week earlier than it would come out here in aus

Frawdder

Oh boy is Torchlight 2 a fantastic game. I am loving every moment of it. I'm going to guess I'm nearing the end of act 2 and so far I'm having a hard time faulting it. I would like a legitimate way to respec but I can live with about 3-5 points in the wrong place. Currently playing an Engineer, focusing on two handed weapons and just tearing shit up. Going one-on-one with a boss with my regenerating health and health steal (and beating the shit out of it) is incredibly satisfying. Every time I die it is 100% my fault for being overconfident and getting myself surround and beaten into the ground, no cheap stuff here.

Danoss

An excellent short film I heard about recently and just had the chance to watch. It's a fan film with Thomas Jane in it, because he absolutely loves the character. It's well done, I wish there was more like it. I won't say much more except check it out, it's very cool. Graphic violence warning.

Dirty Laundry

For those playing at home, here's a new build of the game I've been making between Uni and Borderlands.

Vlander Build 14

At this point I consider the first level feature complete. I am going to add one or two more levels, and then I will consider the game content complete. Finally, I aim to polish up the menus, add credits and a help section. Then I will add sound effects. At that point I will consider the game complete.

For now I am ignoring a few bugs in the game, for sake of actually completing this project instead of getting stuck on small details.

I may still add in a (long)jump mechanic, as it would be simple to program, and would increase the possibility space of the game substantially.

Controls:
WASD - Movement
Space - Mantle blocks
Mouse1 - Pick up blocks

Goal - Reach the end of the level.
Optional - Reach the end of the level with the boxfuck.
Optional - Find the easter egg.

I found a boxfuck but couldn't finish the level. Unless that was, then I finished it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom