• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 7 - We hang out IRL now and be social and shit. (Also, Adrian's Revenge)

Status
Not open for further replies.
no idea if its outdoors. id assume in winter it wont be. im imagine is like the show thats happening right now. i just hope its a proper pax not some shitty half assed one where all the exhibitors are overpriced and shitty. also
WHOS UP FOR AUSPAXGAFDND WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Nokia's started its world tour of local announcements in Australia, letting slip that the Lumia 920 is coming to Telstra's LTE network down under. Those with an eye on the cheaper Lumia 820 are in luck too, as it's going to be carried by both Vodafone and Optus Business.

Kinda sucks. Don't want to move off Telstra, but I can't imagine getting the 920 for what I currently pay. Might have to look at Optus for the 820.

Rezbit

There are plenty of pavilions at the show grounds. No way any of the big stuff will be outside. Maybe yug will plan to have some rides like the gee whizzer out there?

Choc

Banned
Sad end to this saga

ABC News ‏@abcnews
BREAKING: Police expect to charge 41-year-old man with the rape and murder of Jill Meagher

jambo

Marsh, and any other trance lovers, you should head on over to the Trance thread in OT.

I got around to cueing up some mega sets of Armin's from the early 2000's and they are amazing. I'm going to do some more, I have about 15-20 extended sets of his ranging from 2000-2012.

Choc

Banned
Western Australia is going to kill all sharks that get close to the shore.

Aren't Great Whites protected world wide? This sounds rather, bad.

Choc

Banned
Private press conference for journalists only being held. Journos tweeting the details of the crime are horrific and that is why it is not being live streamed.

man =(

Andrew Jaffrey ‏@AndrewJaffrey
Much of what police are discussing is being asked to remain off the record at this stage but it is horrible. Such a sad story

Rezbit

Sad end to this saga

ABC News ‏@abcnews
BREAKING: Police expect to charge 41-year-old man with the rape and murder of Jill Meagher

Jesus I feel sick....felt like this was always going to be the result but it makes it no less harrowing.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
For the sake of closure, I hope they're able to recover a body.

Shaneus

The fact the cops dont want journos writing about this tonight, is fucking HUGE.

Sounds absolutely horrific
It's devastating, but I'm sure it's not the first time specific details about a murder have been released as soon as they are known. You hear about them all eventually, but rarely right away.

But man... yeah, you sort of saw this result coming (if they were to catch the guy) but what a fucking piece of shit. That there are people that do this sort of thing... SMH.

Darklord

Banned
The fact the cops dont want journos writing about this tonight, is fucking HUGE.

Sounds absolutely horrific

I feel angry just thinking about what that poor women went through. If the cops don't want people talking about it it must be a lot worse than a "simple" rape and murder. Well done to the police on being so effective in this case.

I just can't imagine being the husband...I'd probably do something really stupid like try and kill him. Especially hearing how she went. I'd want to get to him anyway I could.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
According to the twitter reports he's helping the locate the body.

EatChildren

Social media will always be soapbox for every over opinionated wanker. It's the downside of something like this. Where social media can blossom and prove to be a very real, valuable asset in a modern era, so too will it quickly turn into a shit fit of morons arguing one way or the other.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.

Usual overly feminists saying 'Errr don't tell us we can't walk down a street at night, tell people they can't rape and murder people'.

Using someones murder as a springboard for their opinions.

It's 2012, male or female if you walk down a dark Melbourne lane way at night you MIGHT run into trouble.

Someone's murdered. No time for politics and agendas.

Social media will always be soapbox for every over opinionated wanker. It's the downside of something like this. Where social media can blossom and prove to be a very real, valuable asset in a modern era, so too will it quickly turn into a shit fit of morons arguing one way or the other.

You always post what I want to say but in an elegant way. Just like in that Mass Effect 3 thread last night.

Dead Man

Usual overly feminists saying 'Errr don't tell us we can't walk down a street at night, tell people they can't rape and murder people'.

Using someones murder as a springboard for their opinions.

It's 2012, male or female if you walk down a dark Melbourne lane way at night you MIGHT run into trouble.

Someone's murdered. No time for politics and agendas.

You always post what I want to say but in an elegant way. Just like in that Mass Effect 3 thread last night.

Ah, yeah.

Also should be playing my first game of Battlestar Galactica tonight. Should be 5 players, which seems to be the optimum amount, given the 2 Cylons vs. 3 Humans. I just hope that my total lack of a poker face doesn't give me away if I end up being a Cylon...

:O I played my first game of that tonight too!! 6 players, and it was really fun. Everyone accused me of being a cylon and locked me in the brig ;.;

I thought we were doing AusGAF in November?
YES!!
We can either:
- Hold it in Sydney.
- Hold it in Melbourne
- Hold them in both on the same night. What do?

Party at DeathJr's, quick, post it on Facebook.

As a side note, I am really pissed off. Holding a small gathering of friends for my birthday, and I've had people I barely know at uni come up and say "so I heard you're having a party, can I join?", as well as several people ask "Can you add X to the invite page?". Do they not get that 1. I don't want too many people in the house, 2. talking about it in public puts me in an awkward position, and 3. plus 1 means your significant other, not whoever the hell you want (especially not four extra people.) Sorry, end rant.

Sad end to this saga

ABC News ‏@abcnews
I kinda missed most of this. What happened?

Jintor

God damn. I hope that justice is served.

As a side note, I am really pissed off. Holding a small gathering of friends for my birthday, and I've had people I barely know at uni come up and say "so I heard you're having a party, can I join?", as well as several people ask "Can you add X to the invite page?". Do they not get that 1. I don't want too many people in the house, 2. talking about it in public puts me in an awkward position, and 3. plus 1 means your significant other, not whoever the hell you want (especially not four extra people.) Sorry, end rant.

I recommend tasers

EatChildren

I kinda missed most of this. What happened?

Last Saturday a young women disappeared on her way home, ~2am, after a night out. She was walking along a fairly busy street, and her home wasn't far from where she vanished. CCTV footage from a store showed her talking to some guy, who became the prime suspect, but information seemed hard to come by. Earlier today police detained someone who they are apparently planning to charge with her rape and murder, and according to recent reports is currently helping them find the body.

The case has been curious due to how it has exploded over social media. It's been one of those weird moments of modern technology where an otherwise completely isolated, disconnected incident has found its way intentionally invading the private lives of people on Facebook and twitter simply due to how frequently people share the reports. It's a strange phenomena, to know someone's name, face, persona and life, and have it invade your private social tools every day, despite not actually knowing who she is. One of those obscure networking moments of the modern age.

It's caused quite a stir and has been reported pretty heavily across Victorian news networks. It's a case where everybody feels more connected to the person and crime than they really probably should be.

Salazar

Beaten, in detail.

It's a case where everybody feels more connected to the person and crime than they really probably should be.

True. A friend routinely takes stories like this to heart, and she has basically shut down today.

[Belated/pre-emptive] Happy birthday, Shan. Still not convinced you actually go to uni, or you have stealth powers.

Dead Man

Last Saturday a young women disappeared on her way home, ~2am, after a night out. She was walking along a fairly busy street, and her home wasn't far from where she vanished. CCTV footage from a store showed her talking to some guy, who became the prime suspect, but information seemed hard to come by. Earlier today police detained someone who they are apparently planning to charge with her rape and murder, and according to recent reports is currently helping them find the body.

The case has been curious due to how it has exploded over social media. It's been one of those weird moments of modern technology where an otherwise completely isolated, disconnected incident has found its way intentionally invading the private lives of people on Facebook and twitter simply due to how frequently people share the reports. It's a strange phenomena, to know someone's name, face, persona and life, and have it invade your private social tools every day, despite not actually knowing who she is. One of those obscure networking moments of the modern age.

It's caused quite a stir and has been reported pretty heavily across Victorian news networks. It's a case where everybody feels more connected to the person and crime than they really probably should be.
She also worked for a media organisation. Not that the story should not have been covered, just that it may have made it easier to do so.

EatChildren

True. A friend routinely takes stories like this to heart, and she has basically shut down today.

The whole situation, from an social analysis perspective, has been absolutely fascinating. I suspect a lot of people, like myself, knew so much about her and the case before even hearing it from the 'official' outlets. And sharing information like this over networks like Facebook is interesting, as these tools are generally used as a private social networking platform. We use Facebook specifically to speak with people we've developed real relationships with: friends, family, colleagues and so on. It's a network of people we know.

To see her face, who she is, and what has happened passed around multiple times a day within this privatised bubble forces you to associate the case and her with your private life. Unintentional emotional development simply due to the method of networking.

EDIT: And I'll add to that by saying the tragedy has interested and hurt me too, because of the aforementioned social networking. I've seen her face and story every single day not when I turn on the news or visit my usual websites, but when I want to check what friends and family are doing and communicate with them. She's been in my personal space, and thus the case feels personal.

She also worked for a media organisation. Not that the story should not have been covered, just that it may have made it easier to do so.

This too, which would have been a top priority for her friends/colleagues, getting her case out there.

So no invite for brisgaf haha. On a slightly more serious note, have it at your local pub or something. That way the more the merrier.

Super Steaming Tag of Sony Twit
My use of all these different clients is either minimal or non-existent (or used to annoy Kamiya).

How many of your children has the Carbon Tax suffocated so far?
Four. But my name is Damian and not "Carbon Tax".

Sexiest Bond: Pierce Brosnan or Sir Sean "The Rock" Connery?
The sacrosanct manifestation that is Brosnan's N64 polygon.

Would you buy a Crackdown 3?
I would rather crack down on 3's network coverage.

Thoughts on Viva Pinata Party Pinatas?
... okay.
Are VIVA pinatas a form of AusGAF currency? Are they an accepted form of currency on Australian campuses?

iOS gamer or Android user?
Use my iOS device almost exclusively as a music device and I currently own a HTC Legend. Open to any invitations of indoctrination.

How do you feel about DRM and always on DRM?
It is the opposite of Dunkaroos.

Is Women teh weakest sex in gaeming?
dude samus can benchpress tasmania

Do you Kooka with Country Cookies?
NOPE. As a Western Suburbs boy, I only expect the best.

chocolatechipcookiese.jpg

UGG boots. Do you speak it?
I speak the language of Sandals and somewhat tattered Converse shoes.

Red Rock Deli chips are the best chips.
You are a good peoples. I would almost definitely call Red Rock Deli my second favourite but Kettle probably beats it out in the end.

i will die with the ship if i must

Picking up a Vita or have a 3DS? OR SNK THINGY?
I got my 3DS when Dick Smith wasn't insane.

D&D or Board Games or IRL Role Playing or Furry or Capcom fan?
My second video games company is Capcom.

It's a pain that never ends.
Alternate ending was "something something masochism something something"

Sexy: Karen Gillan? Ricki Lee? Missy Higgins? Insert guy/girl of interest (Lily Cerna, Ella Morton, Mel McLaughlin, kPOP) here.
i am one of those korean folk so i will vote for a can of pringles

Tony Abbott: Best budgie smuggler or just saggy smarmy arsehole?
Political predilections and ideologies don't align and his interpersonal skills are still rather lacking. However, votes can be won Mister Abbott -- remove the GST on Connoisseur Gourmet Ice Cream -- Cookies and Cream.

Jalapeño man?
YES.

BACON MAN?
NO.
Chicken is greater than Beef is waaaaaaaaaay greater than Bacon

Interest in alcohol? Scotch and Cider?
My general apathy and/ or antipathy of alcohol suggests that I have the worst opinions when it comes to liquids. Unfortunately, that's not my worst opinion -- soy milk > milk. is that a bannable offence??

Vegemite... Mana from heaven or foul toxic sludge?
I've played Secret of Mana so I'm most definitely inclined to answer with the latter.

Do you plays the Halos or Duties or FieldsOfBattlez?
No, I only play games that have licensed confectionary products. Super Mario 3-Dees Jellies might hold the record for the worst $2.49 spent at a Woolworths ever.

Any glass eyeballs?
No, but I do have a box of Cheezels that are six months overdue.

Are you the one delaying all the fucking videogames into 2013?
Yes. I am also the progenitor of all Metroid x Star Fox rumours.

Are you Mayan or can use Maya?
Are Mayans those people who do Arts/ Laws degrees and can cook the best dang noodles this side of Darlinghurst?

If so, probably not.

Curse of Monkey Island is the greatest game of all time

False. Yoshi's Island is.

DO I GET A CONCEDED PASS?

:O

i think i speak on behalf of all ausgaf when i ask
"wheres my invite shan?"
so what you do
is throw it at your bfs house
does he read the thread btw
<_<
>_>
<_<
O_O

edit: fuck yeah you answered those :) will read later
edit edit: look ill be honest with you damo yoshi, im sure your a lovely person and all, but based on some of these answers im not sure that its going to work out between us.
best of luck to you though for all your future ausgaf endeavours.
ps. what state and age
(kinda feel like that should be added to the list as we all want to know it anyway, someone was talking about a proper ausgaf census)

Interest in alcohol? Scotch and Cider?
My general apathy and/ or antipathy of alcohol suggests that I have the worst opinions when it comes to liquids. Unfortunately, that's not my worst opinion -- soy milk > milk. is that a bannable offence??

Please exit the thread immediately.

Shaneus

Binary Domain is ultra cheap on GMG today, folks. If you don't jump in and you have a PC capable of running it, you're a bad person.

Also, I've just discovered the joys of flossing. My mouth is somewhat a little fucked up teeth-wise so I've never been able to access them, but then I found these things that are kind of like a dual-headed toothpick with floss in-between. My teeth are now extra-awesome.

Clipper

:O I played my first game of that tonight too!! 6 players, and it was really fun. Everyone accused me of being a cylon and locked me in the brig ;.;
We had a 5 player game, and it turns out nobody was a Cylon until the Sleeper Phase, but that hadn't stopped Boomer throwing Tigh into the Brig early on as a whim. Due to some rather nasty crisis cards that had every Cylon ship on the board, only one usable Viper and the jump track at the starting position, we lost most of our civilian ships. We eventually managed to jump out with only two population left and as Admiral (Adama), I decided to pick a risky 3-step jump to get us to the Sleeper Phase so the other loyalty cards came out.

I was very relieved to discover I was actually now a Cylon and started preparing to jump us to Galactica's doom, but then a crisis card came out that allowed the Admiral to ask the President to relinquish their title or go to the Brig. I put the vote to the others and they said they really distrusted the President (Baltar), so I was now a Cylon and both the Admiral and President. The next Crisis card gave the President a choice to reduce population or something we had plenty of, but population was now at 1, so I was able to dramatically reach over the board and reduce the population dial to 0 to the humans' dismay :D.

It was an awesome game, very enjoyable and I look forward to playing it again. Oh, and it turns out Boomer had just become the other Cylon, also in the Sleeper Phase, which I was kind of pleased for. I'd earlier declared her as my honorary daughter and that I had no son as the guy playing Apollo (Adama's son in the show) was missing all his shots and kept getting himself destroyed. Turns out I was correct!

Vegemite... Mana from heaven or foul toxic sludge?
I've played Secret of Mana so I'm most definitely inclined to answer with the latter.

No. While I highly appreciate the reference to an awesome game, that question was the pass/fail on the whole test.

i think i speak on behalf of all ausgaf when i ask
"wheres my invite shan?"
so what you do
is throw it at your bfs house
does he read the thread btw
<_<
>_>
<_<
O_O
I'm sorryyyy D:

I'm pretty sure he only reads the funny pictures thread, and has no interest in much else.

[Belated/pre-emptive] Happy birthday, Shan. Still not convinced you actually go to uni, or you have stealth powers.
lol. I swear!!! Its truuuue! I'll prove it to you as soon as this big assignment is out of the way! Until then I may actually be a recluse. Erm, except for the party I suppose.
And its not really until next week, but thankyou ^^

That's awful :( And scary...
We had a 5 player game, and it turns out nobody was a Cylon until the Sleeper Phase, but that hadn't stopped Boomer throwing Tigh into the Brig early on as a whim. Due to some rather nasty crisis cards that had every Cylon ship on the board, only one usable Viper and the jump track at the starting position, we lost most of our civilian ships. We eventually managed to jump out with only two population left and as Admiral (Adama), I decided to pick a risky 3-step jump to get us to the Sleeper Phase so the other loyalty cards came out.

I was very relieved to discover I was actually now a Cylon and started preparing to jump us to Galactica's doom, but then a crisis card came out that allowed the Admiral to ask the President to relinquish their title or go to the Brig. I put the vote to the others and they said they really distrusted the President (Baltar), so I was now a Cylon and both the Admiral and President. The next Crisis card gave the President a choice to reduce population or something we had plenty of, but population was now at 1, so I was able to dramatically reach over the board and reduce the population dial to 0 to the humans' dismay :D.

It was an awesome game, very enjoyable and I look forward to playing it again. Oh, and it turns out Boomer had just become the other Cylon, also in the Sleeper Phase, which I was kind of pleased for. I'd earlier declared her as my honorary daughter and that I had no son as the guy playing Apollo (Adama's son in the show) was missing all his shots and kept getting himself destroyed. Turns out I was correct!

No. While I highly appreciate the reference to an awesome game, that question was the pass/fail on the whole test.

Our first Cylon was terrible and kept smirking the whole time, he was outed very quickly (though not as quickly as people tried to out me ;.; I just couldn't stop laughing, which probably didn't help. Everytime I said something it was always "that's something a CYLON would say!" Now I know how the people of Salem felt). Our after phase Cylon was a tag team of the couple who owned the game. They overruled the Admiral's decision and made our fuel drop to two. They also kinda cheated by telling us it was incredibly easy to get back, and we being newbies were never the wiser. Erm, under they revealed themselves and won.

Walk down an alley ANYWHERE and it could happen :(

BACON MAN?
NO.
Chicken is greater than Beef is waaaaaaaaaay greater than Bacon

NO

Also Cheetos/Cheezels never expire.

Also the wife prefers Soy Milk to regular because of issues she had in the past BUT IT IS TOO EXPENSIVE IM NOT MADE OF SOY MILK MONEY HONEY

Strange, the eBay seller has 100% postive feedback, 1252 ratings and has been selling these for a while now by the looks. Only 2 left at the moment. Paypal only so worst comes to worst I get my money back next week anyway.

Omikron

ALSO: BoardGameAusGAF

Kingsburg was fun last night, pretty simple euro style game. Roll dice, pick your role(s) based on your roll and get benefits. Rinse repeat etc, every 8th turn, do battle with some evil minion thing.

Seemed to work ok with 2, but I assume it would work better with more? Will have to try that out some time.

Recommended. Despite child deciding he didn't want to go to sleep and the game taking way longer than it should.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom