• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 7 - We hang out IRL now and be social and shit. (Also, Adrian's Revenge)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sent passive-aggressive email to uni library telling them I had returned books that are still listed as in my possession.

Discovered said books under laptop I used to send the email.
Sneak those books back in, tell them they best go back into the shelves and find the damn books for themselves. And they'd better find them quick because you won't stand for this bullshit!!

If that kid is 176cm, the principal must be about the same height...

:O

Pretty sure I was still tiny at 11. Like, sub 30 kgs:/

I'm pretty sure I'm the same height as I was then =/ Guys tend to have later growth spurts though, so don't worry. I seem to recall girls towers over the boys until grade 8/9.

Jintor

It's amazing how much American politics is wasted up exhorting people to actually go and vote. Compulsory voting from my perspective seems way better, if a bit of a mild foray into 'freedom' territory.

Of course both our parties suck ass so it can't be perfect.

Choc

Banned
so cheats prosper

Melbourne won yes and yes they are under the cap this year but a lot of those players were around during the cheating days. They were on big money and were offered big money to join. They may not have ever joined had they been offered money within the cap. So whilst they were cheating they learned to play as a team and wanted to play for each other so then accepted lower money. Melbourne is tainted until they all retire in my eyes. NRL should have kicked them out, it was disgraceful. Dogs cheated the cap yes, but no where near what Melbourne did

Yes i am a dogs supporter and yes i am salty Melbourne won. Any other team beating Dogs i would have been fine with, but not a bunch of cheating mexicans.

Dead Man

It's amazing how much American politics is wasted up exhorting people to actually go and vote. Compulsory voting from my perspective seems way better, if a bit of a mild foray into 'freedom' territory.

Of course both our parties suck ass so it can't be perfect.

You can always not vote, you just have to show up. American laziness under the guise of freedom at its finest.

so cheats prosper

Melbourne won yes and yes they are under the cap this year but a lot of those players were around during the cheating days. They were on big money and were offered big money to join. They may not have ever joined had they been offered money within the cap. So whilst they were cheating they learned to play as a team and wanted to play for each other so then accepted lower money. Melbourne is tainted until they all retire in my eyes. NRL should have kicked them out, it was disgraceful. Dogs cheated the cap yes, but no where near what Melbourne did

Yes i am a dogs supporter and yes i am salty Melbourne won. Any other team beating Dogs i would have been fine with, but not a bunch of cheating mexicans.

Why should the players have been punished? Punish the shit out of the team, sure, hell, reduce their cap to 0 for 5 years, fine. But why should the individual players be sacked?

Choc

Banned
the players knew, guarantee it. Unless they really are dumbshit morons

'how much you on mate?' '700k' how about you? '500k'

start adding salaries together and they see they are way over the cap.......

but then, we are talking dumbshit nrl players

and before you say people dont talk salaries to each other we all know thats a load of shit. It's banned in the workplace as well, but people still do it.....

DANDENONG 2012.

Feeling sooooooooooooooo gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood!

Great game by all involved, the Dogs fanbase should be really proud of their team!

Dead Man

the players knew, guarantee it. Unless they really are dumbshit morons

'how much you on mate?' '700k' how about you? '500k'

start adding salaries together and they see they are way over the cap.......

but then, we are talking dumbshit nrl players

and before you say people dont talk salaries to each other we all know thats a load of shit. It's banned in the workplace as well, but people still do it.....

How many people are salaried to an NRL team though? And why is it the players reposnisibility to keep the team under the cap? They are not hired to run the team, just play.

Choc

Banned
How many people are salaried to an NRL team though? And why is it the players reposnisibility to keep the team under the cap? They are not hired to run the team, just play.

all of them, its how the cap works. its not a players responsibility but surely they knew it was going to go real fucking pear shaped.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
so cheats prosper

Not really all that different to the Bulldogs in 04.

I'm not really sure what more could be done in either case. You can't do much more than fine them and make them get under the cap.

I wouldn't say they cheated the cap to sign players, they used it to keep players (still cheating obviously). The big name players all started as nobodies from reserve grade.

Gazunta

Honestly I think my GOTY for 2012 would be Train Defense on iOS.

After years of very happy custom today i got an email from Microsoft saying that my Xbox LIVE subscription has expired. Took me a good while to think of a reason to renew it...XCOM has multiplayer, right?

Shit, when DOES that game come out anyway?

Omikron

So that march in Brunswick was a much bigger deal than I imagined it to be today.

Meagher01-20120930144321205286-600x400.jpg

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
So that march in Brunswick was a much bigger deal than I imagined it to be today.

Meagher01-20120930144321205286-600x400.jpg

Though the whole situation is tragic, I find this march really pretty pointless and misguided, and take it as little more than an expression of grief and inherent desire to "do good" without actually doing anything measurable. And I don't mean that nastily, just the weirdness of a gigantic mob of people marching in opposition of rape and murder. I'm fairly certain 99% of the population already agrees with that.

Dead Man

all of them, its how the cap works. its not a players responsibility but surely they knew it was going to go real fucking pear shaped.

That's my point though, expecting an individual player to keep track, know for certain, then not accept a contract becuase he is worried about it being the one contract that goes over the cap is absurd.

They play rugby...

LOL, that too.

Though the whole situation is tragic, I find this march really pretty pointless and misguided, and take it as little more than an expression of grief and inherent desire to "do good" without actually doing anything measurable. And I don't mean that nastily, just the weirdness of a gigantic mob of people marching in opposition of rape and murder. I'm fairly certain 99% of the population already agrees with that.

Yeah, I appreciate why people do that (I think), but I do not see it actually doing any good on a societal level. I am getting a little frutrated with the level of attention attached to one victim though. It is truly some heinous shit that happened, but they need to generalise their work to all victims, not just one.

Salazar

Yeah, I appreciate why people do that (I think), but I do not see it actually doing any good on a societal level.

It just doesn't make sense, or any difference, to talk in the abstract like some of those folks do

Many carried signs urging an end to violence but not an end to women's right to walk the streets at night.

Wat. Get better lighting, more police, plan streets and alleys with safety in mind, provide and promote community awareness and self-defence training programs. Encourage people to accompany each other. Get businesses to do what they can to support patrons. Campaign for these things, if anything. "The right to walk the streets at night" is certainly a salutary concept but it's practically fucken meaningless.

I'm certain that rapists and murderers just didn't realize what the public's stance was on their activities. Now that they do, they'll all stop doing it.

It was all a giant misunderstanding. I'm glad it's now over.

Disclaimer: It was a tragic incident, I wish similar incidents would never happen again. I wish that bad things would stop happening everywhere. Just because a bunch of people march whilst holding "Stop the Violence" will not make it happen, though. Their march had no platform of change or any basis upon what could have been done to prevent this in the future. It was just merely a Bad-things-are-bad-and-make-us-feel-bad-like-really-bad-please-stop-doing-the-bad-things-bad-people March. I get that people want to do something as their own way of processing what's happened, but this wasn't constructive. It was flacid.

Choc

Banned
Damn those posts are ominous :s I hope I didn't say anything ban-worthy. I can't believe the creepshot supporters were in the majority at some points there.

Which thread is this?

edit: geez i dunno guys, Ballieu surely would look at 30,000 people marching over this and go um shit, this is kinda a big deal...

I don't discount what you are saying (and fwiw had i been a melbournite i would have attended the march i think) but its better than nothing. Of course the streets are not safer because of the march (they are because that alleged prick is in jail though) but if it leads to something then it will be good. It's entirely possible her partner will start some charity or organization around her memory, this tends to happen in these situations. He will want to do all he can to ensure that no one else goes through what he is. Member of Parliament? perhaps sometime in the future... or he might leave Melbourne forever who knows but one thing is for sure i think he will want to do something to honor her memory.

I agree that the coverage of this has been large but there is reasons for this. People go missing all the time but i don't think i can remember the last time a crime so heinous in its opportunistic nature and outcome happened in Melbourne. Usually its a case of people knowing people and then killing them, not just opportunistic like this was. Also the family using social media and the explosion that caused all over Australia in information and chat is another reason the media covered it big time. It's also the first time in a while if ever that there has been so much information, i mean we unfortunately literally saw her the last moments she was alive, right on CCTV in our loungerooms. It's scary when you think about it.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Yeah, I appreciate why people do that (I think), but I do not see it actually doing any good on a societal level. I am getting a little frutrated with the level of attention attached to one victim though. It is truly some heinous shit that happened, but they need to generalise their work to all victims, not just one.

Wat. Get better lighting, more police, plan streets and alleys with safety in mind, provide and promote community awareness and self-defence training programs. Encourage people to accompany each other. Get businesses to do what they can to support patrons. Campaign for these things, if anything.

I'm certain that rapists and murderers just didn't realize what the public's stance was on their activities. Now that they do, they'll all stop doing it.

It was all a giant misunderstanding. I'm glad it's now over.

Disclaimer: It was a tragic incident, I wish similar incidents would never happen again. I wish that bad things would stop happening everywhere. Just because a bunch of people march whilst holding "Stop the Violence" will not make it happen, though. Their march had no platform of change or any basis upon what could have been done to prevent this in the future. It was just merely a Bad-things-are-bad-and-make-us-feel-bad-like-really-bad-please-stop-doing-the-bad-things-bad-people March. I get that people want to do something as their own way of processing what's happened, but this wasn't constructive. It was flacid.

Yeah, exactly. And that's what I mean when I say I take this sort of shit as an expression of grief. It's people angry/upset about something everybody too is angry/upset about and need/want some means to vent their frustration, even if that means is relatively aimless and pointless.

And I guess it kind of irks me when the people, and some people, talk about how shattered and broken and moved a community is and how they all must unite against something, when in reality 99% of the people in that march would have ever met her, let alone known she existed before the crime was reported. The shock and grief from the report and having it happen in your backyard is understandable, but the real living victims of this tragedy is the poor wife's husband, her brother, her mother, her family, and her colleagues, and the millions of things they'll recite over and over in their head, the questions they'll ask, the hypotheticals and revisionist history they'll propose, and the pain that won't every truly go away, but instead dissipated into a tainted memory of misery and heartache.

I sound a lot more bitter about it than I am. I guess I just don't care that random citizen joe blogs was upset by the crime that happened to a stranger he didn't know existed before the crime happened, and a bunch of people rallied together to promote ideals that everybody already agrees with, and argue against oppressions nobody is trying to oppose.

Dead Man

Which thread is this?

edit: geez i dunno guys, Ballieu surely would look at 30,000 people marching over this and go um shit, this is kinda a big deal...

I don't discount what you are saying (and fwiw had i been a melbournite i would have attended the march i think) but its better than nothing. Of course the streets are not safer because of the march (they are because that alleged prick is in jail though) but if it leads to something then it will be good. It's entirely possible her partner will start some charity or organization around her memory, this tends to happen in these situations. He will want to do all he can to ensure that no one else goes through what he is. Member of Parliament? perhaps sometime in the future... or he might leave Melbourne forever who knows but one thing is for sure i think he will want to do something to honor her memory.

I agree that the coverage of this has been large but there is reasons for this. People go missing all the time but i don't think i can remember the last time a crime so heinous in its opportunistic nature and outcome happened in Melbourne. Usually its a case of people knowing people and then killing them, not just opportunistic like this was. Also the family using social media and the explosion that caused all over Australia in information and chat is another reason the media covered it big time. It's also the first time in a while if ever that there has been so much information, i mean we unfortunately literally saw her the last moments she was alive, right on CCTV in our loungerooms. It's scary when you think about it.

There are a lot of crimes in Melbourne (and elsewhere) that are just as vile that are forgotten or get no attention at all. Certainly not on this level.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_Melbourne_CBD_shootings

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maria_Korp

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monash_University_shooting

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Society_Murders

Those are just the ones on Wikipedia since 2002. Those are not all random victims of course, but they are pretty fucking heinous.

Which thread is this?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=493462

I sound a lot more bitter about it than I am. I guess I just don't care that random citizen joe blogs was upset by the crime that happened to a stranger he didn't know existed before the crime happened, and a bunch of people rallied together to promote ideals that everybody already agrees with, and argue against oppressions nobody is trying to oppose.

Yeah. I mean, its nice that lots of people are banding together over this, but I can't really understand what they hope to achieve other than perhaps a sense of support from others in the area.

Choc

Banned
There are a lot of crimes in Melbourne (and elsewhere) that are just as vile that are forgotten or get no attention at all. Certainly not on this level.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_Melbourne_CBD_shootings

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maria_Korp

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monash_University_shooting

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Society_Murders

Those are just the ones on Wikipedia since 2002. Those are not all random victims of course, but they are pretty fucking heinous.

Maria Korp knew her killer.

Society Murders - Knew their killer

Monash - Premeditated, went to kill and did so

It's possible the alleged killer went out that night to find a girl to kill and rape, but you know what, i doubt it....

this is what makes that case so different i think in a lot of peoples eyes. I am not saying thats right, but thats the way it is and the way people think. 9 times out of 10 people being murdered know their killer.

Dead Man

Maria Korp knew her killer.

Society Murders - Knew their killer

Monash - Premeditated, went to kill and did so

It's possible the alleged killer went out that night to find a girl to kill and rape, but you know what, i doubt it....

this is what makes that case so different i think in a lot of peoples eyes. I am not saying thats right, but thats the way it is and the way people think. 9 times out of 10 people being murdered know their killer.

I doubt the arsehole did it on a spur of the moment whim. No different to the Monash shootings and CBD shootings in that respect.

Look, I'm not saying this case deserves no attention, but horrible heinous shit happens to people all the fucking time, this case sadly is not that exceptional. I wish it was. People just feel that way due to the media saturation.

i saw the title and went

Abandon-Thread.gif

lol. You can see a variety of amusing posts including:
- "well its creepy but its not illegal or anything so.."
- Women wearing yoga pants are asking to be raped/ creeped on
- Personal stories about yoga pants
- Personal attacks at Devo (no thread involving women is complete without it)
- Women would be fine if the photographer was rich or goodlooking
- "Not letting me take photos of women's asses is a violation of my freedom!"
And of course the hilarious post by bish at the end. I swear half of those names will be grey this time tomorrow.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
lol. You can see a variety of amusing posts including:
- "well its creepy but its not illegal or anything so.."
- Women wearing yoga pants are asking to be raped/ creeped on
- Personal stories about yoga pants
- Personal attacks at Devo (no thread involving women is complete without it)
- Women would be fine if the photographer was rich or goodlooking
- "Not letting me take photos of women's asses is a violation of my freedom!"
And of course the hilarious post by bish at the end. I swear half of those names will be grey this time tomorrow.

tbh yoga pants are fucking ridiculus.

cover the fuck up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom