• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 7 - We hang out IRL now and be social and shit. (Also, Adrian's Revenge)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaneus

For the English version, at least. It's boxed in Japan, but that's it (for now). I guess, depending on popularity they *may* release a boxed version (and it seems to be VERY popular) but I don't know how long you'll wait (if at all).

It's only $15 if you have PSN+, and it's totally worth it. Would've paid many times that amount had I known exactly how good it is.

Tokyo Jungle is game of the year
Understatement!

Dead Man

For the English version, at least. It's boxed in Japan, but that's it (for now). I guess, depending on popularity they *may* release a boxed version (and it seems to be VERY popular) but I don't know how long you'll wait (if at all).

It's only $15 if you have PSN+, and it's totally worth it. Would've paid many times that amount had I known exactly how good it is.

Understatement!

I wish I could, but I have imposed a closed system DD boycott on myself. Steam only barely escapes since it is on PC, but console purchases are gone for me :(

Edit: LOL, the Too Strict thread is in meltdown over the Bish stickies. Farewell if I copped a ban.

senahorse

Unless you want her to be turned off video games forever. Get her to play Baldurs Gate 2 instead.

My gf is currently playing through Dragon Age and is loving it, but then again these games are part of her collection:

photo-2.jpg

Big box 4 lyfe yo

Shaneus

I wish I could, but I have imposed a closed system DD boycott on myself. Steam only barely escapes since it is on PC, but console purchases are gone for me :(

Edit: LOL, the Too Strict thread is in meltdown over the Bish stickies. Farewell if I copped a ban.
This game is 100% worth it. Have to ask why, though? Surely exceptions can be made in extreme circumstances (such as this). Otherwise there is literally no way you'll be able to play it... at least, in English.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Awesome, what was the problem, faulty meter?

they used the initial reading from the other meter (got 2, one for gas one for hot water i guess)

my question now is where they got the new reading from lol.. but hey.. $76 i dont even care

Dead Man

This game is 100% worth it. Have to ask why, though? Surely exceptions can be made in extreme circumstances (such as this). Otherwise there is literally no way you'll be able to play it... at least, in English.

Just on principle. I like controlling my purchases. Having to rely on legacy hardware to play games that will not be redownloadable is starting to bother me.

Not sure if I agree with all the bans/not bans in the creeper thread, unless he's not finished yet.

Unless you want her to be turned off video games forever. Get her to play Baldurs Gate 2 instead.

but but. Lots of girls got into gaming by playing it. Though it probably helps if they are already into fantasy stuff.

EDIT: oh yeah, and multiplayer platforming stuff is probably fun too ^^

I wouldn't suggest DA:O or Baldur's Gate as a game to get girls into gaming unless they're already massive fantasy nerds.

My wife's favourites are Rollercoaster Tycoon, Zoo Tycoon, some adventure games (she enjoyed helping out with Machinarium) as well as the older stuff like Donkey Kong Country, Super Mario Kart, Super Mario World etc.

Shaneus

Just on principle. I like controlling my purchases. Having to rely on legacy hardware to play games that will not be redownloadable is starting to bother me.
Fair call. But you could always do what I do and think of it as a cost in relation to, say, going to the cinema or going bowling or heading to Timezone or drinking at the pub. All those experiences are far more finite than this yet I bet are easily justifiable. So what if you can't play something in a few years that you spent $20 on? It's lasted longer than any of those other things.

Omikron

Board Game AusGAF. Kingsburg is pretty fun. Fairly simple so far, essentially its a roll selection game, but based on what you roll on your dice (which you can influence in a few different ways etc) crossed with a straight euro collect x resource and trade for y resource / victory point / building game.

Works pretty well with 2, imagine it would improve again with more players although could get a bit too thinky with 5 as you really want to pay attention to what others roll in determining which roll you pick.

Dead Man

Fair call. But you could always do what I do and think of it as a cost in relation to, say, going to the cinema or going bowling or heading to Timezone or drinking at the pub. All those experiences are far more finite than this yet I bet are easily justifiable. So what if you can't play something in a few years that you spent $20 on? It's lasted longer than any of those other things.

I've thought about that. And yeah, I can see the value proposition. I am just used to game purchases being effectively permanent (Shitty WinXP death of some my DOSWin95 games notwithstanding). Same with movies. I don't really go to the cinema these days, I wait and get the disc for cheaper than 2 tickets will cost. I find as I get older, I buy less games, but I play them for longer.

But I will investigate this Tockio Juble game. :)

Dead Man

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-10-01/sponsors-walk-away-from-under-fire-jones/4288740
Financial services provider Challenger and Lexus Parramatta this morning joined Freedom Furniture in pulling advertising, saying the company does not support Jones's comments.

Mercedes-Benz too has instructed its dealers to cease any form of advertising on Jones's show.

"Our company does not condone such inappropriate comments," the carmaker said in a statement.

Supermarket giant Woolworths says while it is not a sponsor, it will suspend its periodic advertising during the program.

Regional radio station 2QN based in Deniliquin in the New South Wales Riverina has pulled its broadcast of Jones's breakfast show.

All we need is a few more to put their money somewhere else too.

Skyrim on 360 for $27 GoD code
Dead Island on PC for $8

Get her to play Dragon Age. Trust me on this one.
Her brother plays D&D so I don't think that one will fly! ;)

Neither. Hope I can turn my PS3 off without having to venture into the cold cold living room :(
Set it up to turn off after 3 hours of no use, or use one of those energy saver powerboards that people keep knocking on my door about.

new gas bill is being posted out :)

$78

much better than $1,560
Which company? Glad to see they weren't dicks about it.

I wouldn't suggest DA:O or Baldur's Gate as a game to get girls into gaming unless they're already massive fantasy nerds.

My wife's favourites are Rollercoaster Tycoon, Zoo Tycoon, some adventure games (she enjoyed helping out with Machinarium) as well as the older stuff like Donkey Kong Country, Super Mario Kart, Super Mario World etc.
FFS! I just remembered that was like 75% off at GOG the other day and I had been waiting to pick up Rollercoaster Tycoon 3 for the wife since it got up there since it's one of her favourites!

I suck as a husband :(

Bothers the hell out of me too but historically the community will shower em with joy in regards to legacy hardware/software so I have to look at my PSN/XBLA purchases as more of 'renting' or short term purchase and value the game as such. I fully expect that in 5 years time I won't have access (or right now since I have no fucking clue what XBLA games I own since it is a bitch to find the uninstalled ones in the new dashboard) to them. Until I download a version to play through emulation, or at that piont the old console can be homebrewed to play all the classics.

Basically I expect the big 3 to be profit focused rather than letting me play my damn games and as such they won't be getting $110 out of me per game like the old days.

This was the best response;
Regional radio station 2QN based in Deniliquin in the New South Wales Riverina has pulled its broadcast of Jones's breakfast show.

Shaneus

I've thought about that. And yeah, I can see the value proposition. I am just used to game purchases being effectively permanent (Shitty WinXP death of some my DOSWin95 games notwithstanding). Same with movies. I don't really go to the cinema these days, I wait and get the disc for cheaper than 2 tickets will cost. I find as I get older, I buy less games, but I play them for longer.

But I will investigate this Tockio Juble game. :)
When it inspires (unofficial) merchandise like this, how can you not?
HeXL5m.jpg

obdd1.jpg

"I didn't think anyone other than Liberals would hear me talking in such a disrespectful way. I am sorry I got caught out. Next time I will make sure there is a doctor in the room so I am covered with that sweet sweet confidentiality thingy."

r1chard

I think that's a fairly reasonable apology, honestly.
How so? An apology consists of "I'm sorry" not couching it, or using the same 45 minutes to attack policy, and so on. And anyway, he only apologised because he was caught. He says as much.

He's previously apologised for the chaff bag line. Which apparently meant nothing as he signed a chaff bag jacket for the auction at the SULC event. So basically, even though he has apologised, so what? It's not like we're to expect he'll stop saying this rubbish.

midonnay

He said his comments should be condemned, but so too should the "widespread efforts by the Julia Gillard Government and Julia Gillard herself to silence or punish anyone who dares to articulate one political certainty - that this may be the worst and least trustworthy government in Australian history".

Jones also said his comments were secretly recorded by a journalist and questioned whether similar comments made at a Labor function would get the same coverage.

yeah ....nah.

I'm sorry....but the prime minister is also to blame....and why is everyone picking on me?

correct me if I'm wrong....but Sunday Telegraph is news limited? what has Gillard got to do with this hoopla except being the target of tirade >_>

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I don't really know anything else about the guy. I just think his explanation of the context as well as his straight up wearing of the blame for the comment seemed about as graceful a handling of situation as one could manage. When prompted by questions he got distracted, but he took the blame up-front.

Nothing about it was graceful but he did indeed apologise, even if he did use the platform to spend 45 minutes raging on about Labor lies and her being the head of the worst government in Australian history.

Graceful would have been apologising and letting the topic die off for a few days before getting back into the shit flinging again.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Nothing about it was graceful but he did indeed apologise, even if he did use the platform to spend 45 minutes raging on about Labor lies and her being the head of the worst government in Australian history.

Graceful would have been apologising and letting the topic die off for a few days before getting back into the shit flinging again.
Did he do that in the last fifteen minutes of the 40-something minute video? I didn't watch the end.

I'm probably (definitely) biased being a journo, but I can't understand the flak this guy is taking for reporting the Jones story.

And I don't think most people understand that off the record is essentially the journalist's perogative. I mean if someone says "this is off the record" and you publish it anyway you've burnt that bridge, but it's not a legal term or anything.

Gazunta

I'm sorry if I sound like a broken record, or a badly downloaded MP3, or what have you, but why are we spending time talking about someone who doesn't matter and brings nothing into the world?

Rez, you have an avatar of Hugh Laurie and Stephen Fry. I think Stephen Fry is the most interesting person on the planet. And I want to grow up to be Hugh Laurie one day. Top work sir!

And here's a Late Show parody of Doctor Who I haven't seen in ages.

And here's all of Bargearse. It's probably the funniest thing you'll see all day.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Rez, you have an avatar of Hugh Laurie and Stephen Fry. I think Stephen Fry is the most interesting person on the planet. And I want to grow up to be Hugh Laurie one day. Top work sir!

agreed, and if only

Kritz

Banned
I need to make a 30-60 second animation involving a little bear toy, sunglasses, a hat and something that vaguely resembles a human.

I am shit out of ideas. Help.

Little bear toy is lonely and depressed. Finds sunglasses and hat and tries to make some sort of human to hug him. Fails miserably and remains lonely and depressed.

Kritz

Banned
For context, this is a programming assignmnent. That is to say,

bear.setPostTransform(102.4F, 2, 12.3333F);
bear.setRotation('y', 42);

camera.setTarget(bear);
camera.setPostTransform(x, y, z * time);

So, on the plus side, it's okay if the animation looks bad. Because we're making them using openGL and shapes we've had to program, vertex by vertex, ourselves. The downside is that even the simpliest of ideas will take me like two weeks to make.

Oh, there can also be a MAGIC CARPET. As opposed to a magikarp-et.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom