• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 7 - We hang out IRL now and be social and shit. (Also, Adrian's Revenge)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaneus

Happy birthday Shan!

Anyone got any ideas for a game I could get my daughter who's about to turn 9? Just thinking there might be stuff out there I've missed. She loves creative games (minecraft creative mode, spore, modnation racers sans racing, ...) but also has had a bunch of fun playing actual games like Torchlight (I have Torchlight 2 for her to move on to already if she wants to) and she was mucking about playing LBP2 this morning. PC, PS3, Wii, DS, Mac...?
Skylanders maybe? I'm not sure how creative(ish) that is, but it could be fun (albeit damned expensive).

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Happy birthday Shan!

Anyone got any ideas for a game I could get my daughter who's about to turn 9? Just thinking there might be stuff out there I've missed. She loves creative games (minecraft creative mode, spore, modnation racers sans racing, ...) but also has had a bunch of fun playing actual games like Torchlight (I have Torchlight 2 for her to move on to already if she wants to) and she was mucking about playing LBP2 this morning. PC, PS3, Wii, DS, Mac...?

super mario galaxy?

My boyfriend's sister is 10, I'll ask her what she plays. Does your daughter have a DS?

Pixeljunk 4am would be a great one if you have Move controllers (who doesn't!)

Borderlands 2 Steamcode from OzGameShop for $34, some are having success with COME-BACK-5-OFF code for $5 off, only select members got that email.

Prototype on GoD for 360 is also 640 allards

PS3 is getting some awesome bundles, around the same price as the 360 at price drop. 500GB model with 2 controllers and ModNationRacers or Uncharted for $369 at Target

r1chard

You old man
i turned 4 that year

Let's see. '96. I was 24. You whippersnappers get off my damn lawn!

Thanks for the game suggestions folks. She's already played SMG a bit. And yeah, she has a DS (hand-me down from me ;-)

No damned Move controllers in our damned house! Actually I've just not seen a game worth the expense...

Let's see. '96. That would be 24. You whippersnappers get off my damn lawn!

Thanks for the game suggestions folks. She's already played SMG a bit. And yeah, she has a DS (hand-me down from me ;-)

No damned Move controllers in our damned house! Actually I've just not seen a game worth the expense...

umm
im fairly certain im 20
not sure if you mean you were 24
is x3n not the oldest?

Let's see. '96. I was 24. You whippersnappers get off my damn lawn!

I was 11.

With a DS, get her into Animal Crossing. Or Rythm Heaven.

Raxum

Senility is already setting in...

Indeed, it was the year I left high school. :D

At least every time you replay a game it'll be like a new game again? Or am I thinking of the wrong thing?

For reference, I was about 8 in '96. I think I had a SNES back then. Probably also a really crappy PC but you know, being that young I wasn't fussed. Probably can't really talk about being old though haha. Turning 24 in just under a fortnight.

Choc

Banned
so it just dawned on me that EBExpo may actually be illegal. Hear me out.

In australia we have classification laws around video games. Under that law video games are not allowed to be shown publicly in Australia without a classification. There is NUMEROUS video games going to EBExpo that are unclassified in Australia, such as MGS Rising.

Now you might argue that this has happened for years @ press events etc. The difference is the press events are not classified as public events, and are instead trade events which is a major difference. EBExpo is a public event as anyone can go.

The other issue with EBExpo is they have not put an age restriction on those who can go. Again, MA15+ all over the place, kids under 15. You could argue that EBExpo is facilitating the viewing of restricted content to minors which is kinda illegal....

The way E3 gets around this its trade only. The way Gamescom gets around this is I believe all games must be rated via PEGI before they can be shown on the public days, same with TGS and CERO.

Just a thought.

The big litmus test will be EBExpo next year where EB is promising not to age restrict the expo but if there is R18 games, you can sure as shit guarantee they will have to age restrict it.

Something for PAX AU to consider as well... this isn't america. We have direct federal law that deals with this that cannot be avoided or excluded.

My 2c.

Clipper

Choc, can't they just show them with a "check the classification" tag somewhere, like they do for movie trailers?

I think the idea there is they have to make a decent attempt to ensure the content that they display is suitable for most audiences. It means they just wouldn't be able to show the worst parts of their games, which are unlikely to be in the demos anyway.

Choc

Banned
Choc, can't they just show them with a "check the classification" tag somewhere, like they do for movie trailers?

no because its interactive. Video games as well all know are treated significantly differently.

Also there is certain content that is not allowed to be shown in movie trailers because of the expected rating AND you will notice you don't get M rated trailers during G rated movies because of this very reason

Choc

Banned
I found my weird bicentennial medallion thing they gave to us in school in 1988 the other day.

i have one of those!

188419_medium.jpg

senahorse

I got one of those in grade 7 and I think all my friends signed it, I still have it around somewhere.

edit: also that reminds me why Brisbane was better than the rest back then.

150px-Expo_88_Globe_logo.JPG

It was an event of epic proportions, and I had a season pass :D

Raxum

1988 was the best year.

Bicentennial, and all that jazz.

Got my bicentennial birth certificate and all that stuff. It's pretty old and a bit frayed now as it has had to be folded up to go into anything other than a frame (needed it for job interviews and stuff). Should probably get myself a new and/or normal birth certificate printed up, if that's even possible.

Deeku

Ahh yeah I have one of those, but I don't think it's mine since I was 2. Sister's probably.

oh what?! I don't remember getting a federation one...got jipped!

Shaneus

This depresses me a lot :(
It wasn't meant to :( It just caves my head in seeing all these young whipper-snappers who are old enough to drink and smoke but weren't alive when Marge vs. the Monorail was aired.

My yardstick for establishing people's age is The Simpsons. God help me.

I went to a public school out in the sticks so I didn't get shit.

Jeff Kennett came to our Vanilla Slice hoedown though!
Although that was still 50km away from home :/

Raxum

Damn, apparently I was at that event....as an unborn child. Lol. I think I was born as it finished or just after(in a hospital, not at the expo). Somehow that makes me feel young. I think I still have a few pieces of memorabilia my parents got from the expo for me when they went.

Shaneus

I got one of those in grade 7 and I think all my friends signed it, I still have it around somewhere.

World Expo '88
Together
We'll show the world!

Bahaha

Fun fact: I've been told that the spinnaker-style cover/roof things used for that are now sheltering the servos and KFCs at the CBD end of the West Gate Bridge. Apparently.

Edit: Fuck me, I think I still have one of these stickers that I got in a box of Weet Bix stuck to the inside of my wardrobe door at my folks' place.
drC6P.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom