• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 7 - We hang out IRL now and be social and shit. (Also, Adrian's Revenge)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Isn't marriage a legal contract that can actually have absolutely nothing to do with the church or any religion whatsoever anyway?

It shouldn't. I mean, marriages not conducted in a church are still legally marriages.

Urgh religion, just die already.

I don't really care if people are religious, in some ways I'm kind of jealous, but when organised religion attempts to assert control over the masses a line has definitely been crossed.

Fredescu

That can't be a real reading of the situation can it? o_O

That was the main point of that referendum question in 88. To make section 116 apply to the states too.

/edit Huh... states don't legislate, but they theoretically could. Of course it's politically insane to do so, but... huh
I have a feeling that Queensland used to have some weird religious law, but I can't find it now. Some sort of restriction on new religions.

Raxum

That was the main point of that referendum question in 88. To make section 116 apply to the states too.

Really? Okay, so as I was not there at the time (being either unborn or a newborn) what else was in the same referendum that made people not accept it? Or did it just seem not that important at the time?

Fredescu

Really? Okay, so as I was not there at the time (being either unborn or a newborn) what else was in the same referendum that made people not accept it? Or did it just seem not that important at the time?
I wasn't voting age at the time, but from what I'm reading now, the freedom of religion question was bundled with extending the right to trial by jury, and "to ensure fair terms for persons whose property is acquired by any government". They seem pretty reasonable but it got smashed in the voting. Reading this: http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/frozen-continent/2008/03/28/1206207408050.html?page=2 it sounds like the main problem was lack of bipartisan support. Peter Reith was heavily against the religious freedom question. God knows why.

Raxum

I wasn't voting age at the time, but from what I'm reading now, the freedom of religion question was bundled with extending the right to trial by jury, and "to ensure fair terms for persons whose property is acquired by any government". They seem pretty reasonable but it got smashed in the voting. Reading this: http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/frozen-continent/2008/03/28/1206207408050.html?page=2 it sounds like the main problem was lack of bipartisan support. Peter Reith was heavily against the religious freedom question. God knows why.

The only thing I can think of is a majority of christian voters being scared by Peter Reith or something. From what I've been reading it all seems pretty reasonable. That said, I guess politics also comes down to the advertising campaigns of the people, due to most people not wanting to have to research the issues themselves. Also possibly due, in part, to lack of widespread and easy internet access at the time maybe? Again, I wasn't around then so I have no idea how things actually were.

Edit: Or as that article says, a lack of understanding of how the Australian government and constitution work by the general populace.

Fredescu

A lot of people pick a political party like they pick a football team, and go with the bulk of what their team says. The internet doesn't change that.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Definitely agreed. They interfere in too many things that they make judgements based on old superstitions that don't work in our current society. Our understanding of things improves every day through research and discovery, yet religions decry it as heresy because it goes against what their 'histories' say.

I still think that the bible (which is the only one I've really paid any attention to, having gone to an anglican school) is a series of stories told to give people examples to live their lives by and examples of what not to do. Someone, somewhere along the line either took it too seriously, or decided to use it as a form of control over people.

went to a catholic school and this is what we were taught.

Raxum

A lot of people pick a political party like they pick a football team, and go with the bulk of what their team says. The internet doesn't change that.

I guess in the end people like to be led? Personally I'd rather do my research when I'm voting or trying to make decisions that have some impact on things. Moving back to the original topic though, there is no reason to believe that gay marriage would bring about the end of the world, or the end of order. It can be legally recognised without any religious intervention at all.

went to a catholic school and this is what we were taught.

This is what the first priest at my school taught us. I don't understand how people can believe the stories in the bible as fact. I mean, of course some are probably true, or at least some of the people existed. But I know at least 1 person (whom I work with) who believes that the bible is the history of the earth. I don't get it.

Edit: On a side-note, anyone with Optus be wary, apparently a few people at my work have received letters saying they are raising their rates on all existing contracts, which apparently they can do. I haven't gotten a letter about it yet, but I'll be keeping my eye out for it now.

senahorse

I don't really care if people are religious, in some ways I'm kind of jealous, but when organised religion attempts to assert control over the masses a line has definitely been crossed.

Which unfortunately happens all too often.
If religion provides someone with hope, self-esteem, purpose etc, well, more power to them, it's when they try to push beliefs on to others that irks me. Hell any time religion is brought up in a rebuttal in a debate it irks me.

Also would it be fair to say (I think so) that religion has been the cause of more human deaths than anything which isn't a disease, illness or age related? Kind of ironic in a way. And don't get me started on the sexism part of it all.

We don't use Santa as a reason for the need to impose GST on imported goods, likewise, religion should never be brought into the political sphere, unfortunately, it's all about the votes.

edit: I wonder how many politicians actually genuinely believe in god and aren't acting like it for votes and popular opinion

We don't use Santa as a reason for the need to impose GST on imported goods, likewise, religion should never be brought into the political sphere, unfortunately, it's all about the votes.

edit: I wonder how many politicians actually genuinely believe in god and aren't acting like it for votes and popular opinion

The worst part is that according to the census, the atheist community is pretty sizable. Most people I know who identify as Christian don't even go to church, let alone read and follow the teachings of the bible. The politicians seem to be pandering to some 'silent majority' that doesn't even exist! But they all do it, so we can't vote for some other party and show them with our votes =/

Fredescu

I guess in the end people like to be led?
To some, politics just isn't that interesting or important. Witness this thread when politics talk goes on for too long. In Australia, the politics is basically party for the business owners vs party for the unions. It's easy enough to pick one side to sympathise with and just switch off from the rest.

senahorse

The worst part is that according to the census, the atheist community is pretty sizable. Most people I know who identify as Christian don't even go to church, let alone read and follow the teachings of the bible. The politicians seem to be pandering to some 'silent majority' that doesn't even exist! But they all do it, so we can't vote for some other party and show them with our votes =/

I guess if they don't push the point too much in regards to policies (in which they really don't, at least as far as I can tell) the atheists really don't care for the most part, but at the same time they are (like you say) pandering to the vocal (I say vocal because of people like Jim Wallace from the ACL) minority. So in that sense it's win-win I guess.

Poll: Who do you think should lead the Coalition to the next election?

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/polit...ion-windsor-20121004-270ml.html#ixzz28HwIC9Ma

Tony Abbott
18%
Malcolm Turnbull
77%
Other
5%

Australia is learning slowly.

I am still not convinced MT makes for a good politician, let alone the leader of this country. He is very intelligent but seems to come at things more as a financial analyst than a political observer. The way he and his cronies (people like Joe Hockey) have handled the NBN debate has been nothing short of horrible. Would he be better than Tony Abbot? Sure, but there are probably a million people in this country at this point that would come across a better leader than that twerp.

Raxum

To some, politics just isn't that interesting or important. Witness this thread when politics talk goes on for too long. In Australia, the politics is basically party for the business owners vs party for the unions. It's easy enough to pick one side to sympathise with and just switch off from the rest.

That's true, and honestly I'm not that interested in the pushing and pulling of politics, and their back-stabbing and lying, but I guess that's probably the reason most people don't care. I know enough to keep myself moving, and I do a bit of research before I go to vote, but I don't really follow every little thing.

I guess if they don't push the point too much in regards to policies (in which they really don't, at least as far as I can tell) the atheists really don't care for the most part, but at the same time they are (like you say) pandering to the vocal (I say vocal because of people like Jim Wallace from the ACL) minority. So in that sense it's win-win I guess..

Maybe it would need Atheists to step up and start being a vocal majority for things to change. Religious minorities should not have any say on the laws of a multi-cultural and multi-religious country, unless it pertains to their freedoms to practice their religions within reason.

senahorse

I guess atheists as a whole don't have an organised agenda as such so it's probably tough to get them to rally together, or maybe we are just too lazy :D

r1chard

I guess atheists as a whole don't have an organised agenda as such so it's probably tough to get them to rally together, or maybe we are just too lazy :D

As an atheist the whole idea of atheist "congregations" and the like boggle my mind. And they do exist. They have conferences. And talk about how awesome atheism is. Whatever :)

Jintor

I see atheism as aggressively individualistic, so acting in concert is naturally harder

American debates are rubbish. Obama fumbling, Romney surprisingly slick but content is a morass of contradictory bullshit

An Organised Non-Religion where they get together and talk about how Organised Religion is stupid for getting together and talking about their beliefs.

Raxum

As an atheist the whole idea of atheist "congregations" and the like boggle my mind. And they do exist. They have conferences. And talk about how awesome atheism is. Whatever :)

I never knew there were congregations of Atheists. Wow. Just wow. I would've assumed the typical hangout of atheists would be at lectures about evolution and physics. On the topic though, my thought wasn't congregations of atheists or anything, but a formal protest/petition against inclusion of religion within political discussion, or something along those lines. Probably wouldn't have any effect but you know. Breaking what is considered the norm is always interesting to think about.

senahorse

I dunno Fred, just sounds odd, but maybe it's the way I am looking at it.

At a religious convention it's all about spreading the word of the lord etc. What's the topic of discussion at atheism conventions? Science? but then it's just a science convention.

As I said, it could be the way I am looking at it, but to me it sounds like something we would see on South Park.

have you seen /r/athiesm?

dear god they're awful

No thanks lol

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Oh yea on my macbook air. Woo etc

I'm broke now. $1200 on a machine and $300 on the dentist this morning. I also need to buy lunch. Ruh-Roh.

I should be doing work but too busy messing around with this thing.

For the ausgaf mac lovers, Any particular applications I should get for this thing?

I fear that atheist communities would end up as big circle jerks like they do on line. The types who think they are smarter than everyone else are almost as bad as the types that think gay marriage will ruin their own marriages.

I see atheism as aggressively individualistic.
Society in general seems to be heading that way.

Fredescu

At a religious convention it's all about spreading the word of the lord etc.
Church isn't 100% about spreading the word of God. It's also about having a sense of community where you regularly meet with people that you otherwise might not. It's a weekly ritual where you think about morality and other philosophical topics. I think throwing out this sort of thing when leaving religion is throwing out the baby with the bathwater.

senahorse

Church isn't 100% about spreading the word of God. It's also about having a sense of community where you regularly meet with people that you otherwise might not. It's a weekly ritual where you think about morality and other philosophical topics. I think throwing out this sort of thing when leaving religion is throwing out the baby with the bathwater.

Oh I understand that. In fact I spent around 10 years at Sunday School, Church and associated religious gatherings. And while it wasn't a constant drumming of religion into your brain, the general theme was there. I just wonder what the theme of an atheist convention is. Or maybe as you are kind of alluding to it could be more of a "good will" convention but they are making the distinction that it's not slanted by religion.

All in all I think the values of most religions are very sound and by following a lot of them, you are not following a religion but in fact being a good person. Those values I think are paramount to preserve in our society, but lets just strip off the bullshit and other negative motivations that are often tacked on when it becomes "religious".

Fredescu

I just wonder what the theme of an atheist convention is. Or maybe as you are kind of alluding to it could be more of a "good will" convention but they are making the distinction that it's not slanted by religion.
Yeah, something like that. Maybe like http://www.the-brights.net/ but they've specifically said "We do not intend the network to be a club or organization that has gatherings" so that's sad. They do have meetups.

Raxum

I fear that atheist communities would end up as big circle jerks like they do on line. The types who think they are smarter than everyone else are almost as bad as the types that think gay marriage will ruin their own marriages.

Society in general seems to be heading that way.

I would find it interesting to introduce the group of people who have their giant circle jerk online to each other. Some of them at least have the "Internet Warrior" instincts of feeling safe in their anonymity, and thus don't feel like they need to protect themselves. Of course there will be those that are just naturally like that, and they might lead it to end up the same way.

I would rather stick to my gaming gatherings and hanging out with my friends. Met quite a few of my friends through gatherings of people with similar interests (either gaming or MA).

I get married in 3 weeks and have purposefully changed any sort of implications in the 'readings' that marriage is strictly between a man and a women. I like to think I'm doing my part :)

Must have slipped Obama some flu tablets. The drowsy kind.

tumblr_mbci09aU841qh59n0o1_1280.png

Omikron

I get married in 3 weeks and have purposefully changed any sort of implications in the 'readings' that marriage is strictly between a man and a women. I like to think I'm doing my part :)

Ehhh, the only legal bit (for civil stuff) is about 2 sentences, which incl. between a man and a woman. The rest of the ceremony is up to the people in question.

eg

“I am duly authorized by law to solemnize marriages according to law”; and “Before you are joined in marriage in my presence and in the presence of these witnesses, I am to remind you of the solemn and binding nature of the relationship into which you are now about to enter.”; and “Marriage, according to law in Australia, is the union of a man and a woman to the exclusion of all others, voluntarily entered into for life.”

magenta

I am still not convinced MT makes for a good politician, let alone the leader of this country. He is very intelligent but seems to come at things more as a financial analyst than a political observer. The way he and his cronies (people like Joe Hockey) have handled the NBN debate has been nothing short of horrible. Would he be better than Tony Abbot? Sure, but there are probably a million people in this country at this point that would come across a better leader than that twerp.

Him thinking like an analyst makes sense, he used to work at Goldman Sachs.

Jintor

The reason why atheist communities tend to be circle-jerks is because the primary shared experience that they have is persecution (across the entire spectrum of severity).

Well, that's what I think, anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom