• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 7 - We hang out IRL now and be social and shit. (Also, Adrian's Revenge)

Status
Not open for further replies.

senahorse

Man, not being able to mow the lawn because it's wet is like excuse #1 on the list. It gets used frequently. My old yard had one part of the lawn that stayed wet for a while though so it was hard to avoid. I also use retired shoes for mowing.

Link? Been thinking about a vacuum.

It's so dry in Qld at the moment the excuse doesn't even need to be used :p

Here is the blower/vac I bought, just a cheapy but surprisingly good:

http://www.husqvarna.com/au/products/blowers/125bvx/

edit: I am choc...

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Hey EatChildren, DSE are selling a $99 Pioneer receiver that may do what you wanted with your audio concerns.

OooOOOO. Cheers for the heads up. Hmm.

elektrixx

Banned
I've only played Tomb Raider and Most Wanted so far. Most Wanted's frame rate doesn't hold up as well as I'd like (PS3).

I think the Tomb Raider demo is from E3.

Omikron

Hot damn. Are there any great disadvantages for using this as a general receiver? Missing shit that ~$500 ones would normally have?

Seems a fantastic price... some comparison stuff. The model in question is the left hand one.

Pioneer_2011_AV_receiver_comparison.jpg

senahorse

Hot damn. Are there any great disadvantages for using this as a general receiver? Missing shit that ~$500 ones would normally have?

I don't think so, does HD audio, 4 HDMI inputs. Only 5.1 but 7.1 and beyond is really overrated unless you have the money and space for a really good setup. The only thing I would check is what kind of speaker terminals they have, it's not a huge deal but you generally want the screw type rather than the spring loaded clips.

You would want to be quick though they seem to be selling out rather quickly.

senahorse

I don't mind the bombcast but I much prefer Idle Thumbs. The bombcast comes off as a bunch of american fratboys to me, not much intelligent discussion and lots of very childish behaviour, not saying that's a bad thing, just a thing.

Entry Level Receivers usually don't have the bells and whistles or their more expensive counterparts.

This receiver is only (only!) 5.1, has a lowers watt output (less beefy sound), does not have iPod comparability (but your could still play music through, you just wouldn't be able to control the iPod via the receiver's remote), and you may not get as many HDMI/Optical/Composite/Component inputs than you would a more expensive model.

Having a look at it though, it seems like good value for under $100.

The only thing is, I think this deal may only be order and collect only.

Edit:^^ well bugger my slow response time.

Fusebox

Banned
Hey EatChildren, DSE are selling a $99 Pioneer receiver that may do what you wanted with your audio concerns.

edit: link here: http://dicksmith.com.au/product/AE3649/pioneer-receiver-vsx521.jsp usally $400, a great little unit for the price

That's a ridiculous price. I'm in the market to upgrade my old Denon AVR. Mine doesn't pass through HDMI properly and I'm using that as an excuse to replace it with a unit that has Airplay built in.

Jintor

I don't mind the bombcast but I much prefer Idle Thumbs. The bombcast comes off as a bunch of american fratboys to me, not much intelligent discussion and lots of very childish behaviour, not saying that's a bad thing, just a thing.

They complement one another well - perhaps not deliberately, but it just works out that way.

Stackboy

Giant Bomb is an honest video game website. Also they are funny. I like video games and I like jokes. This is a fine combination.

Shaneus

edit: link here: http://dicksmith.com.au/product/AE3649/pioneer-receiver-vsx521.jsp usally $400, a great little unit for the price
Fuck me. I paid around $250 for mine (from memory). That's a damn good price. Probably buying another one now (provided I can order online). I wonder if it's another price fuckup like when they accidentally sold the G27 Logitech wheels for some stupidly stupid price (that I was lucky enough to cash in on).

Edit: CBD all gawn. I'd love it if rep could keep an eye out for me, but I doubt they'd be easy to find anywhere (and EC should take preference over me, anyway). That's a damn good price and can definitely vouch for it's non-shittiness. The only possible dealbreaker might be that to configure the surround sound (like volume, mic distance etc.) you need to do it via the composite out on the amp. And there's no OSD. But other than that, it's suited my needs perfectly.

Oh, and I can't remember if I paid $250 or $350 for it. I think it was the former.
I hope it was the former.

senahorse

They complement one another well - perhaps not deliberately, but it just works out that way.

I agree with that, it's certainly a different style from a lot of other podcasts which is always a good thing. Also they are usually very long so help my commute to work for a few days not seem so grating (peak hour traffic etc).

Shaneus

Who knows. I don't get the hype at all. Bombcast sucks, their QLs are boring. Their reviews are well written though
I'm kind of in the same boat. One or two QL's I've seen have been okay, but largely don't interest me. The one thing I found interesting over the last few days though was with the most recent Idle Thumbs, and how much more... I dunno... "outspoken" Klepek was while he was on the cast. Just came off as being a little *too* exciteable and overbearing, I think.

hamchan

Quick Looks are a bit boring nowadays. They were much better in the early years. Felt like the crew were having way more fun just screwing around back in the small office in Sausalito. Now it only feels like Vinny has fun anymore.

How interested would you guys be in a game reminding thing? Where you input games you want to watch and it reminds you within x amount of days/weeks of a games release?

I'm throwing around the idea to develop such a thing as a hobbyist thing.

Dishonored street date broken in the US. WHY COULDN"T IT HAPPEN HERE WHERE I HAVE THE AFTERNOON FAMILY FREE!
EDIT: False alarm, just the PC copy from a few days back :(

How interested would you guys be in a game reminding thing? Where you input games you want to watch and it reminds you within x amount of days/weeks of a games release?

If you could also incorporate a cheapest-price-finder type thing as well it could be very useful. Show your wishlist along with the place that has it for the cheapest price at that point in time.

Omikron

0. I have steam.

Fredescu

Guys, if you didn't nab that amp, there's a similar amp combo'd with speakers for two-hundo, and it's actually in stock. The speakers it comes with these speakers which are selling alone for $188 refurbished on Pioneer's website, so it's a good deal. Not sure on the quality of said speakers though, but for $200 it's nothing to sneeze at. Can never have too many speakers or amplifiers.
No component inputs! I'd have to be relying on the Wii U to have perfect BC. And to actually buy a Wii U.

Shaneus

0. I have steam.
But Steam doesn't remind you how long until a game is out. But if someone could develop something like that and maybe even create something like a game organiser thingy where you can actually categorise your games... man, that'd be sweet.

No component inputs! I'd have to be relying on the Wii U to have perfect BC. And to actually buy a Wii U.
Sure, but your TV would have at least two, wouldn't it? Unless you were hoping it would actually do D/A conversion to HDMI, but you're looking at shelling out at least five-hundo for an amp that does that.

I'm just looking for a cheap(ish) HDMI switchbox and some speakers. Depending on how those speakers sound I'll either plonk those in my living area and move my current setup to the bedroom, or keep new speakers in bedroom. We'll see.

Omikron

But Steam doesn't remind you how long until a game is out. But if someone could develop something like that and maybe even create something like a game organiser thingy where you can actually categorise your games... man, that'd be sweet.

:lol

But do you really need to be reminded over and above the auto-avert popups + the coming soon list?

Gazunta

Giant Bomb is my favourite American game review site. They actually acknowledge that there were games made in Europe!

I'd definitely be interested. I'm completely out of the loop these days.

Fredescu

Unless you were hoping it would actually do D/A conversion to HDMI, but you're looking at shelling out at least five-hundo for an amp that does that.
I was. This one has an RRP of $550 apparently. How do I tell if a receiver supports that? Basically I just want something to plug everything into and have it come out some speakers instead of the TV. What I have now doesn't seem to do that. Then I don't use the TV much, so I have no idea. If only home theatre was as simple as a PC!

Kritz

Banned
By comparison to megadrive's idea and dislike of giantbomb, how interested would you duders be in an online game of the year and collaborative game ranking website?

If your answer is "not at all", too bad! I've made one anyway. I'll hold off posting it because it's still a work in progress, but a sense of interest would be nice.

Going to wait a few more years until I bother setting up a receiver and speakers actually, might end up with a bit of a mess with the little guy at the moment.

The builders sure are fast here. Started work on the house in the last week of August and they're already tiling the indoors! Expected date of completion was feb but now they're telling me they will be able to hand over the keys before christmas.

Shaneus

HOLY SHIT

Melbournians.

I've just found the *best* store.

It's called "Daiso Japan".

They're so awesome, they have two websites.

Everything is $2.80. iPhone cables, covers, pet stuff, kitchen stuff, food, car care stuff, household goods. Everything. Like Kmart, but far awesomer because everything has Japanese writing on it so you don't know exactly what it is. Like NQR.

At first, I was perplexed because there were no prices on anything. But then I saw that everything was $2.80. I went from perplexed to not perplexed very quickly.

Corner Bourke and Swanston St., downstairs next to Dick Smith (where that book store used to be).

Even if you don't buy anything, it's awesome to walk around just so you can feel like an actual Japanese person in Japan.

:lol

But do you really need to be reminded over and above the auto-avert popups + the coming soon list?
Well, I'd prefer not to be. I never read them and rarely visit the store page unless there's something very specific I'm on the lookout for.

It could even be something like a ticker or RSS thing or something that updates according to some wishlist you've setup. It'd be great as a quick thing so that as soon as I hear about a game I like, I search for it on there (or enter it myself) and that way there's a constant reminder about it. Sort of like a wishlist thing, but it's quickly and easily accessible. And there's also a countdown to release dates.

Hell, you could even have the titles as hyperlinks to their respective Wikipedia page or something like that.

If you need an ideas guy, I'm your guy.

It could even be something like a ticker or RSS thing or something that updates according to some wishlist you've setup. It'd be great as a quick thing so that as soon as I hear about a game I like, I search for it on there (or enter it myself) and that way there's a constant reminder about it. Sort of like a wishlist thing, but it's quickly and easily accessible. And there's also a countdown to release dates.

RSS feeds or an ever-updating iCal link could be a thing I do. So far, from preliminary thinking I'd like to have multiple export options in:
  • RSS
  • Email
  • iCal

As well as just viewing a page. Email would be toggle-able. RSS and iCal would need to be turned on, off by default.

Hell, you could even have the titles as hyperlinks to their respective Wikipedia page or something like that.

This was always the plan. I'm wondering how to get the initial Game data and Wikipedia has an API and an alternative to page scraping.

The builders sure are fast here. Started work on the house in the last week of August and they're already tiling the indoors! Expected date of completion was feb but now they're telling me they will be able to hand over the keys before christmas.
Have you gone into the world of home ownership? Congrats if so!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom