• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 7 - We hang out IRL now and be social and shit. (Also, Adrian's Revenge)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaneus

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
There might be more gaffers now that it could be self supporting. I guess I meant that the existence of a thread isn't going to stop politics popping up in here.

I'm not against the creation of one, I just don't want to make any guarantees to the likes of Syth, otherwise he'll be like "STOP TALKING ABOUT POLITICS" every second post. There are plenty of topics that come up in here that I don't want to be involved with but I don't get vocal about it because I don't care and I'd rather this thread just be organic general discussion rather than having a bunch of unenforceable rules.

My issue with politics is that unlike any other topic we discuss, if anyone voices anything pro Abbott they're pretty much scared off and out of the hive mind here, unless they are quite resilient.

Jintor

Hey, if they can come in and argue their position with evidence and reason we probably won't tar and feather them immediately

Fredescu

My issue with politics is that unlike any other topic we discuss, if anyone voices anything pro Abbott they're pretty much scared off and out of the hive mind here, unless they are quite resilient.

Hey, if they can come in and argue their position with evidence and reason we probably won't tar and feather them immediately

Yeah, you're not entitled to an opinion you can't reasonably defend, no matter the topic.

Choc

Banned
guys if you think i am harsh ;)

don't ever search for #qt during question time. There are some fucking maniacs on twitter

senahorse

I am sorry but Abbott (even more so than Campbell Newman) really is indefensible but I would more than happy to be proven wrong in this regard. As for Liberal vs Labor, as has been mentioned, there is a fairly even spread across the board here and I don't remember people being attacked for liking one or the other.

Omikron

Honestly? I don't trust Turnbull as far as I can kick him, he speaks well, is largely fairly moderate as far as the Libs go, but I still don't trust him.

Plus: Anti-NBN means no vote for Libs.

senahorse

Honestly? I don't trust Turnbull as far as I can kick him, he speaks well, is largely fairly moderate as far as the Libs go, but I still don't trust him.

It's like you read my mind, I don't have the blind faith in MT as some do. Very intelligent but that doesn't always make for a good leader. Also I am a one vote pony as well, and the only issue I really care about between the 2 governments is the NBN. Selfish, short sighted?, maybe but it's the one policy that I think will make a big impact on our future and is actually (currently) being implemented.

Choc

Banned

Turnbull supports the NBN but has to toe the party line. His investment in the same infrastructure financially in france proves it

If he took over the leadership you might see the NBN viewpoint change.

midonnay

dude, he is goldman sachs

he's for fibre to the node and will also privatise it (like Labor)

privatising natural monopolies is how we got here in the first place.

Omikron

Turnbull supports the NBN but has to toe the party line. His investment in the same infrastructure financially in france proves it

If he took over the leadership you might see the NBN viewpoint change.

I am glad you have blind faith in a politician like that.

Fredescu

I don't mind Choc....but bigfooty or whirlpool are better places to debate politics >_>
From what I've seen on whirlpool, debate can be a lot more heated than here.

Turnbull supports the NBN but has to toe the party line.
I'll believe it when I see it. Turnbull might be more socially progressive than the average lib, but he's still a small government man, which means he opposes the NBN ideologically. I think you'll find he's a lot closer to Newman than he is to Rudd.

senahorse

I don't know where you get that from Choc, but certainly isn't the case. The contracts with Telstra will need to be renegotiated and Telstra will gain a lot from it, but 30 billion I think not.

liberals are sexist cunts

VNAWh.gif

Fredescu

No *every* liberal is a sexist cunt. But a culture of sexism is certainly more evident on that side of politics.
On the socially conservative side, sure. I think there are plenty of social conservatives in Labor these days too.

This is why Turnbull will have problems with the Liberal leadership. He might be a social progressive, but a lot of his party isn't.

Choc

Banned
There is an amazing load of salt from single mothers on twitter right now

not sure about the details on what just happened with their payments, but wow. Salty.

Choc

Banned
On the socially conservative side, sure. I think there are plenty of social conservatives in Labor these days too.

This is why Turnbull will have problems with the Liberal leadership. He might be a social progressive, but a lot of his party isn't.

he takes over and he can get rid of the worlds greatest cunt, pyne from the front bench

Stackboy

There ARE ways of acquiring it for vita....

I shouldn't have to resort to changing PSN stores. If I want to part with money for a game that's out on a platform of my choosing, region shouldn't come into it.

It's not like its going to get refused classification in Australia, right? Right guys.......?

Don't get me wrong, I know it's not the developers fault. Hell, I can buy the game on Steam. I'll point the finger at Sony.

senahorse

There is an amazing load of salt from single mothers on twitter right now

not sure about the details on what just happened with their payments, but wow. Salty.

I remember something about cutting payments for stay at home mothers or something like that, in the last couple of days.

Omikron

I remember something about cutting payments for stay at home mothers or something like that, in the last couple of days.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-10-09/bid-to-delay-single-parent-cut-fails/4303418

The Senate has passed the Federal Government's contentious changes to the single parent payment.

From next year people will now be moved from the single parent payment to the dole once their youngest child turns eight.

Welfare groups have attacked the changes and earlier several Labor MPs tried - and failed - to get the Government to delay them.

But only the Greens and the Independent Senators John Madigan and Nick Xenophon voted against the Government.

The new regulations are due to start in January, and will mean those affected would lose about $56 a week.

D'oh. Too late. Thanks for the suggestion! We're in Takayama tomorrow and Matsumoto two days after. Been to either of those places?

We ended up settling for Sukiya brand curry, I'm sure it's terrible but as we'd arrived in Kanazawa yesterday we didn't know there was a whole busy area further south of us! Seemed like everywhere was closed.

It was still
so bad it's
good.
Takayama has good local sake, but I can't read Japanese, so I can't name the brand. It comes in a blue bottle.

Other than that, there is a shop on the main street (headed toward the train station) that sells really awesome wood carvings.

Choc

Banned
hmm 8 is pretty young indeed.

"Australia’s unemployment rate now at highest level since March as economy shows further signs of weakness"

thats when Campbell got the job right? Apparently the entire movement upwards can be attributed to QLD

Good job fuckwit

senahorse

Everyone knows that Nokia Corporation’s (NYSE:NOK) new Lumia devices running Microsoft’s (NASDAQ:MSFT) Windows 8 operating system will be available in the market very soon, however Nokia hasn’t announced the exact date of release for its new devices. A forum’s member named Fred 69 reported that Australian carrier Telstra is preparing to launch Nokia’s Lumia 920 on November 5.

Fred said that his workplace has collaboration with Telstra and in a recently held conference; Telstra showed off Nokia’s upcoming devices including the Lumia 920 and said that they are planning to launch the device on November 5. On the other side, AT&T Inc. (NYSE:T) has already announced that it will launch the Lumia 920 on November 4.
http://statesmansentinel.com/2012/1...-launched-in-australia-on-november-5-reports/

Grain of salt and all that, but sounds plausible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom