• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 7 - We hang out IRL now and be social and shit. (Also, Adrian's Revenge)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darklord

Banned
ffs my phone broke. I've only had this Galaxy S2 for a year and it keeps dying, data cutting off, signal dying, ect. Finally tonight the data network just crapped itself and won't work anymore. And I need this for work! FUCK. This is no good!

jambo

Up at 5.00 this morning to fly to Melbourne. I'll be landing at about 8.30 and then straight in to town for work. Then straight back later tonight at 20.30.

Clipper

I went for a night without the laptop last night, so this is awesome news to wake up to. Thanks mate!

I'm going!
You're certainly not the only one. Which day are you going to try for?

Edit: AAAAgggghhhhh... Just noticed the tickets are on sale now if you already had the performer in your My Ticketmaster favourites list. I DID have the old Zelda Symphony setup in the My Favourites list, but not the new one. I'm hoping that it updates today and sends me the pre-sale e-mail code...

Omikron

BTW> Anyone watch the Lance Armstrong thing on 4 Corners last night?

I had been aware / been following the USADA claims quite a bit, but this just put everything into perspective at how far reaching it was and also hwo involved Armstrong must have been.

Stackboy

Is anyone else still playing BF3 on PC? Hit me up and I'll add you. Loving the Armoured Kill maps and the new vehicles. The sense of scale in the battles is insane.

Also, I am a fool for not watching Homeland sooner. Still in season 1.

Shaneus

BTW> Anyone watch the Lance Armstrong thing on 4 Corners last night?

I had been aware / been following the USADA claims quite a bit, but this just put everything into perspective at how far reaching it was and also hwo involved Armstrong must have been.
Didn't, but I assume it's still on iView?

It's actually a little funny about that... the coach or head or whatever of the cycling team that my work sponsors (Orica Greenedge) voluntarily stepped aside because he was in the same team as Armstrong during 2000-01 (or something) and confessed to using banned substances as well. It really is quite funny just how far it's reached.
And if you haven't, read (or at least flick through) that document from USADA.

PS. Did anyone else get really confused at the start of all this because it sounded like people were talking about eSATA? No?

Raxum

Well that was a pretty good birthday weekend, got all the housework and everything done on Saturday, had a LAN with friends on sunday, then spent all of yesterday in bed watching movies and anime. Was pretty damn good to just have the extra day to relax at home.

On a side-note, would people here recommend Dishonored? I've been seeing/hearing good things, but I'm just not really sold on it at the moment...

Kritz

Banned
They're showing our animations during this current lecture. Will be interesting to see how people react.

Kinda wish we had more stuff like this for game dev. Only once did we have a day where people could play test our games.

Fredescu

OOOh I need one of those for when we do roasts and/or beer can chicken.
I have an ET-73 which came reasonably cheap with my BBQ, but it only goes up to 210. The ET-732 goes up to 300 which gives you a lot more leeway before you kill your probe. For some reason the cheapest shipping is only $8.50 at the moment, so I had to order it. It was $20 when I looked at it months ago.

Also check this out about beer can chicken: http://www.amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/debunking_beer_can_chicken.html

Butterflying is a better option. I haven't tried brining yet, but I plan to this weekend. It was funny to hear Vanaman talk about brining on the Ruination Cast.

Choc

Banned
Bloody Tullamarine! Stuck on the tarmac for 25 minutes because of plane congestion >=/

at least its not the stupid reason that you have in sydney. Sometimes you get planes delayed near the hour due to the limitation of aircraft movements per hour (60) because the government let people build houses to close to the airport and they whinge and whinge and whinge.

if you buy a house near the airport, its your OWN DAMN FAULT.

senahorse

I have an ET-73 which came reasonably cheap with my BBQ, but it only goes up to 210. The ET-732 goes up to 300 which gives you a lot more leeway before you kill your probe. For some reason the cheapest shipping is only $8.50 at the moment, so I had to order it. It was $20 when I looked at it months ago.

Also check this out about beer can chicken: http://www.amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/debunking_beer_can_chicken.html

Butterflying is a better option. I haven't tried brining yet, but I plan to this weekend. It was funny to hear Vanaman talk about brining on the Ruination Cast.

How did you find the thermometer overall? A number of reviews on Amazon mention variable temperatures and found it to be a few degrees out which isn't a great thing when doing a roast.

As for beer can chicken, the article is interesting and I don't know what it is, but when I have cooked it with beer as opposed to without there was a distinct difference in flavour, maybe attributed to being vertical and maybe more smoke? I will have to give the butterfly technique a go, sounds interesting. Also have you tried using woodchips for flavour? It's still on my to do list.

Congestion at Tulla is a given.

Seriously. Tullamarine is awful.

They're showing our animations during this current lecture. Will be interesting to see how people react.

Kinda wish we had more stuff like this for game dev. Only once did we have a day where people could play test our games.

At AIE we did this for literally any gamey project we had. It both sucked and was demoralising at times. But also awesome when people played your shit and even though it looked like dogshit they said it was fun.

Shaneus

If you're lookin', it aint cookin'!
So is this the equivalent of "If there's a tree falling in the woods but no-one's around to hear it, but you have a microphone setup to monitor and record any possible noises that might be made, would it still make a sound?" ?

I can vouch for butterflying, made for happy stomachs at our birthday BBQ!

Shit, now I really want give Brining a shot tonight too but we have everything ready for a stir fry :/

Man I love meat.

Choc

Banned
and i thought Australian politics was in the gutter

'http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/koch-industries-sends-pro-romney-packet-employees-195709471--election.html'

Employer says he will fire people if obama re-elected (rich ceo cunt). Urges employees to vote for Romney, provides letter and pack on how to do so

that be illegal in Australia i am sure. AMERICA FUCK YEAH. YEAH FUCKING CUNTS MORE LIKE IT.

Fredescu

How did you find the thermometer overall? A number of reviews on Amazon mention variable temperatures and found it to be a few degrees out which isn't a great thing when doing a roast.
I'm still learning how to use it really. The first time I did it, I stuck the food probe in too far and it came out the other side, so my temps were obviously too high. The food probe is quite big, obviously made with the briskets and stuff in mind that they do in the US. Temperature wise it seems ok. My BBQ has a dome thermometer and I bought one of those pen thermometers from ALDI that you stick in the meat, and they all sort of roughly agreed with each other.

The ET-73 annoyingly has the on/off switch under the battery cover of the transmitter. The ET-732 that I linked doesn't have that problem.

Also have you tried using woodchips for flavour? It's still on my to do list.
Not yet. On my list too. My BBQ is charcoal based, so it gets a bit of flavour from that already.

So is this the equivalent of "If there's a tree falling in the woods but no-one's around to hear it, but you have a microphone setup to monitor and record any possible noises that might be made, would it still make a sound?" ?
It's sort of a catchphrase designed to encourage cooking with the BBQ lid down, and stop opening it all the time so it doesn't lose so much heat. In Australia we tend to ignore the lid completely and cook the sky around the BBQ because that's what we do damnit. Lid down is best though.

Are they building a giant white ferris wheel next to the freeway?
Rebuilding. It was built and operating but when we had those few days of 48c a couple of years back it cracked, so they dismantled it and are still rebuilding (after it sat there for a year or two idle).

Kritz

Banned
Well, I didn't get into the best animation group but I did get into the 2nd best. I'm happy with that. People at least had tepid laughter to stuffed bear slaughter.

Oh, and someone used the deadly premonition theme in their animation. Fk in my coffee.

Deeku

Disgraceful.
If the tutor's good, no skippage required. Better?

Actually, I always bounced around to different tuts to see which timeslot had the better tutor. Don't know if jint can do that though since law usually has participation marks and stuff.

hamchan

Normally you can skip 2 tutorials in a semester and be ok with attendance and participation, in my uni at least.

I started going to uni more though when my international student friends told me they pay like $4000 a subject, so around $16000 a semester. The monetary value of lectures actually went up in my mind after that.

Choc

Banned
Normally you can skip 2 tutorials in a semester and be ok with attendance and participation, in my uni at least.

I started going to uni more though when my international student friends told me they pay like $4000 a subject, so around $16000 a semester. The monetary value of lectures actually went up in my mind after that.

When I was @ uni i took the time to attend lectures i felt had value and had valuable teachers

as we all know, some of the Uni teachers are fucking useless and don't deserve the respect of showing up

Shaneus

It's sort of a catchphrase designed to encourage cooking with the BBQ lid down, and stop opening it all the time so it doesn't lose so much heat. In Australia we tend to ignore the lid completely and cook the sky around the BBQ because that's what we do damnit. Lid down is best though.
This is true. We're fucking awesome with our barbecuing. My old man is obsessed... he has to restrain himself from picking it up and fixing it. Hell, he's replaced the hotplates on all of them so they're about twice as thick. Retains heat for god-knows how long, but takes a good half-hour to heat up!

Question for Melbourne Gaffers! Has anyone here finished Pokemon Black 2 and have a Challenge Key that I could please trade for? :) The trade can only be done via Infrared and I only have one copy. :(

Sorry guys, posting again in hopes I might get some help with this.

On the topic of missing tutes, my University also has a policy of maintaining 80% attendance. Essentially you can miss two without medical certificates, after that, they'll review your attendance, etc.

Jintor

Well, I've done most of the h/w for this tute so it'd be a waste not to turn up

I'll probably skip next week though

We've got the 80%, but I don't think I've missed any tutorials of anything this semester

Deeku

We had the 80% rule too, but nothing really happens if you don't meet it (depending on the course). Most of the time, they only used it if you were like a borderline pass, and would use attendance to decide whether or not you fail.

Attendance is only actually important to international students because going to class is like a condition on their student visas lol.

Deeku

lol yeah.

Some finance subjects were tricky though. The unit outline will say "tuts are not compulsory", but then the lecturer will say that there are 8 surprise quizzes throughout the 11 official tuts that are combined worth 25%....so yeah, you'd be stupid not to go every week to make sure you didn't miss out on free marks.

I actually think that's a better way than roll calling each tut and treating (basically) adults as kids. Like, if you go to tuts, you do better. If you don't, you won't fail, you just won't do that well. Your choice.

legend166

Just bought the following on Blu-Ray for a total of $55 (including shipping):

- Taken
- Kingdom of Heaven DC
- Gladiator
- Bourne Trilogy

Thanks Amazon UK!

senahorse

I'm still learning how to use it really. The first time I did it, I stuck the food probe in too far and it came out the other side, so my temps were obviously too high. The food probe is quite big, obviously made with the briskets and stuff in mind that they do in the US. Temperature wise it seems ok. My BBQ has a dome thermometer and I bought one of those pen thermometers from ALDI that you stick in the meat, and they all sort of roughly agreed with each other.

The ET-73 annoyingly has the on/off switch under the battery cover of the transmitter. The ET-732 that I linked doesn't have that problem.

Just ordered one, now I can avoid having to keep an eye on the bbq so often :D

Jintor

I'm relatively sure I'm getting stressed out with each tutorial. Like, physical stress issues and shit. This ain't healthy.

In Australia we tend to ignore the lid completely and cook the sky around the BBQ because that's what we do damnit. Lid down is best though.
So you're Pro UnAustralian, then?

To appropriate the very eloquent phrase I picked up from a car bumper this morning "Love it or FUCK OFF!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom