• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 7 - We hang out IRL now and be social and shit. (Also, Adrian's Revenge)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arksy

guys GUYS

i shit you not

a liberal drone (liberal MP in south australia) just tweeted that Lance Armstrong cheating is the ALP's fault.

Rob Lucas ‏@Rob_Lucas
Labor's record-AAA lost,OlympicDam deferred,DesalPlant mothballed,water price tripled,Armstrong drug cheat,$13b debt,$867m deficit! Enough!

I find it hilarious that you attack one point of the tweet. Yet you decide to ignore the actual massive issues that the tweet contains such as Olympic Dam and the Desal Plant. Got anything to say about that?

Shaneus

Was that your question re: star control on idle thumbs.
Nup. Mine was the one about the PC being the last real gaming platform that hasn't been diluted by things like Kinect and waggle etc.

How far in is the one on SC2? I haven't actually listened to the whole cast yet, just saw bits of the stream on Monday morning.

:( BUT WE SHARE A BOND.
You have this incredibly unique ability to annoy the living daylights out of me like no other in this thread. Except for maybe Jase.
If you can be less annoying, it'd be oh-so-much better. I probably wouldn't even get so frustrated if it wasn't for that fucking thread title faifnas;dfgnrle;ng

Ydahs

Windows 8 is a damn fine OS once you get to know all the hotkeys and shortcuts. It does require some time getting used to, but I've settled well after a day.

A note though: make sure to check your laptop brand has the appropriate Windows 8 drivers. Spent nearly 10 hours trying to get it running smoothly...

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Nup. Mine was the one about the PC being the last real gaming platform that hasn't been diluted by things like Kinect and waggle etc.

How far in is the one on SC2? I haven't actually listened to the whole cast yet, just saw bits of the stream on Monday morning.

You have this incredibly unique ability to annoy the living daylights out of me like no other in this thread. Except for maybe Jase.
If you can be less annoying, it'd be oh-so-much better. I probably wouldn't even get so frustrated if it wasn't for that fucking thread title faifnas;dfgnrle;ng

:( ok i wont post anymore

Fredescu

Translation: You have nothing to say about the real issues. :)
If that's your takeaway, sure, I know next to nothing about the state politics in SA. It's pretty tiresome to go on the attack for someone not pointing out the full extent of the lies of a politician though.

My eBay copy of Splatterhouse finally arrived! Woo! Also no title update for a 2010 game...

This is the best news I have heard all day

UK game charts said:
While the deathless Fédération Internationale de Foot-to-ball Association retained the number one spot, Dishonored snuck straight in to 2 and XCOM to 7. Hurrah for new things doing well!

As always, the UK charts don’t include digital sales...

It’s not a given that big new releases make the top ten, by the way – spare a thought for Kinect spin-off Fable: The Journey stumbling in at 37.

Finally starting to get read for the long weekend up in the fucked state of QLD. Hope I don't have to break out the mace and encyclopaedia. Still need to make 100% all the child safety devices are employed by the relevant transport providers too. Also the focus of my alcoholic urges, thinking maybe Drambuie.

Little guy was playing with the Touchpad on the couch in front of The Night Garden before dinner, happily trying to give a silly crocodile enough water to take a shower, when he dropped off by the time we can over with Chili Con Carne!
20121015_185642gdyhl.jpg

More for me, yay!
His virus is still knocking him around a bit, his digestion is getting better but his mood and energy can swing pretty quickly. Hoping he will be okay for the plane ride on Friday, he loves Helicopters and the giant wind turbines out our part of the countryside so I know he will flip out with joy when he sees a plane up close.

Still trying to find a desk for the study, found a worthwhile one at Fantastic Furniture for only $130 which ticks all the boxes; nice depth and height, plain and open, no stupid L shape that leads to wasted space, room for both study area and PC monitor/keyboard/mouse/Deadpool figurine. Only issue is that you have to order it in upfront, not entirely comfortable waiting a few days for it in case I find something better :/

Prometheus on Blu Ray with DVD and Artbook for $25 delivered from BIG W
Sherlock Series 1&2 on Blu Ray for $23 from Zavvi

I ordered some shoes.

</salazar>
ENABLER

Damn it, now I need a new pair of driving shoes

HAY GUYS HOW FUNNY IS THAT THRAED OVER IN OT THATS REALLY FUNNY AND STUFF

NAH I DONT NEED TO POST A LINK. WHY WOULD I DO THAT.
HAY GURL I HEAR YOU CAN CLICK ON OT THESE DAES, DEM FEIRY THREADS TEND TA HANG UP THA TOP GNUCK GNUCK

An IGN review isn't evidence :p
Journalists on Twitter for the past few days has consisted of. "I can't say anything until next week but Swan? FAPFAPFAP". Also nice to see an outlet making an effort with their review format for once!

CHOC: STOP TWEETING MECHANICS SPOILERS> FUCK>

EDIT: I really feel like holycheck now.
Not until you start a thread ahead of schedule and give it a fucking awful title. Here I can help;

Football Manager 2013 - OT - Why do your taxes when you can do Sir Alex Ferguson's

Also: I ordered a Ticket to Ride 'map pack' from OzGameShop. 5 days, still hasn't shipped. Wahay.
I noticed most of their stuff had '5-10 days dispatch' on the ones I was interested in.

The retro studios have a new office thread in gaming is recommended reading!
<_>

Creepier thread than the creep shots one in OT.

Sometimes gamers make my skin crawl :/

y u resort to class warfare, omi ?
Hardly a war when the public school class size would smite your teeny tiny 3 students per class ratio! Bleed out on your fancy Versace uniforms and leather bound textbooks!

I find it hilarious that you attack one point of the tweet. Yet you decide to ignore the actual massive issues that the tweet contains such as Olympic Dam and the Desal Plant. Got anything to say about that?
I will say I know little of these issues since they don't relate to my funny little state of Teddie's VIC so I would be interested in the issues being expanded upon, especially since I am up to speed on Notspacearmstrong.

Was that your question re: star control on idle thumbs.
I am shocked to hear that someone else remembers Star Control other than Shaneus! Maybe it was the developer. Or Shaneus' brother.

The Good Wife is easily the best show on network tv at the moment (and rivals the best of the cable stuff too).
I'm actually really enjoying Titanic: Blood & Steel truth be told.

Shaneus

Star Control 2 is probably the best game ever. That you could fit a kickarse soundtrack and an entire universe on what... two 3.5" disks(?) is absolutely insane. That reminds me... I'm currently the proud owner (kinda, I have to wait to receive it first) of this:
Hugzk.jpg
GSLwS.jpg

Just the map, no box or game... around $20 shipped. Is from the 3DO one. Reckon it could be even worth framing, but that would mean I don't get to see the opposite side. I suppose that rather than do the obvious, I could actually just make the hyperspace map bit visible.

Chicks dig hyperspace 'n' shit, right?

Jintor

I really hope the tutor/lecturer for business orgs tommorrow doesn't pick on me. I'm feeling really down right now and this constant stress is pissing me off.

Three more weeks and an exam... kill me now.

Shaneus

Have you heard of the new Chris Roberts thingy?
Star Citizen

I'm not sure how adventury it is (the page seems to push the word "sim" pretty heavily) but it could be what we're looking for. The new Elite, perhaps? It's unlikely we'll get anything like Star Control 2 ever again (which was essentially, when you think about it, a Lucasarts-style adventure game but with a ship as your on-screen avatar) so it might be the best we can do. I'd still prefer aforementioned Lucasarts-y spacey thing, though.

midonnay

only played star control 2 player v player sharing a single keyboard ... don't think I even tried the story mode.

can't remember much except that I always used the trekkie type ship that shot the torpedoes and my bro used the alien mothership that shot out lots of little amoeba type enemies.

fun times.

Arksy

Sure thing!

Desalination Plant
This cost our state an absolute fortune to build. 1.8 billion dollars is the budget which was spent on a plant that is now going to be moth balled and shut down until a crisis occurs. Most commentators in SA are saying that this was pretty much done to line the pockets of a few companies close to the State ALP but I'm not so sure. I think it's just plain idiocy on their part. They say it will provide us with water security and that's true but it was far too pricey for what we got. It was far more efficient to build a proper rain water harvesting system, at a fraction of the cost. (Murray Water atm costs 1/10th the amount it would to produce at the desal plant). Also to pay off the desal plant our water prices have skyrocketed. :(

Olympic Dam
Our previous premier refused to leave office until a deal was made. A deal was made between the mining companies and the State Government which has now been deferred. This is going to drastically lower our income as a state as no mining on the leases is going to occur at all for a good while. (I can't remember how long, it was years IIRC).

SA is in a pretty bad spot atm. We're a net recipient of GST and the Olympic Dam, which was going to be the biggest open cut mine in the world, was going to reduce our GST dependance as a state but that's been bungled through the arse.

Considering the rising salinity of the Murray that plant could come in handy for more than just sea water

Edit- Jesus touch screens and I are not friends

Arksy

Craig Thomson charged!

Edit: They're civil statutory penalties so the only way that Thomson could be forced to quit his seat is if he goes bankrupt during the Court process. First hearing is Dec 7. The ALP will throw their entire life savings at the Court in order to prevent this from happening.

Rezbit

Have you heard of the new Chris Roberts thingy?
Star Citizen

I'm not sure how adventury it is (the page seems to push the word "sim" pretty heavily) but it could be what we're looking for. The new Elite, perhaps? It's unlikely we'll get anything like Star Control 2 ever again (which was essentially, when you think about it, a Lucasarts-style adventure game but with a ship as your on-screen avatar) so it might be the best we can do. I'd still prefer aforementioned Lucasarts-y spacey thing, though.

Yeah not sure it's exactly what I'm after. Honestly I want Mass Effect crossed with Freelancer crossed with (of course) Star Control 2. The universe in Star Control 2 is just ridiculously rich, almost unparalleled. I mean just looking at the Androsynth/Orz stuff...so awesome. Mass Effect had decent lore but man it wasn't even a scratch on SC2.

Shaneus

Considering the rising salinity of the Murray that plant could come in handy for more than just sea water

Edit- Jesus touch screens and I are not friends
Reminds me of one of my favourite, often unheralded scenes from Top Secret:

Dr. Flammond: I am Dr Paul Flammond. I am a prisoner here, just like you.A year ago, I was close to perfecting the first magnetic desalinisation process. So revolutionary, it was capable of removing the salt from over a million gallons of sea water a day. Do you realise what that could mean to the starving nations of the earth?

Nick Rivers: They'd have enough salt to last forever!

Sure thing!

Desalination Plant
This cost our state an absolute fortune to build. 1.8 billion dollars is the budget which was spent on a plant that is now going to be moth balled and shut down until a crisis occurs. Most commentators in SA are saying that this was pretty much done to line the pockets of a few companies close to the State ALP but I'm not so sure. I think it's just plain idiocy on their part. They say it will provide us with water security and that's true but it was far too pricey for what we got. It was far more efficient to build a proper rain water harvesting system, at a fraction of the cost. (Murray Water atm costs 1/10th the amount it would to produce at the desal plant). Also to pay off the desal plant our water prices have skyrocketed. :(

Olympic Dam
Our previous premier refused to leave office until a deal was made. A deal was made between the mining companies and the State Government which has now been deferred. This is going to drastically lower our income as a state as no mining on the leases is going to occur at all for a good while. (I can't remember how long, it was years IIRC).

SA is in a pretty bad spot atm. We're a net recipient of GST and the Olympic Dam, which was going to be the biggest open cut mine in the world, was going to reduce our GST dependance as a state but that's been bungled through the arse.
Thanks for that! After more reading it seems the declining commodity prices really hurt the decision. Hopefully if things bounce back overseas BHP will get thinks rolling again, not like the minerals have anywhere to go thankfully! I'll admit that I didn't think you guys were into mining much.

Reminds me of one of my favourite, often unheralded scenes from Top Secret:

Dr. Flammond: I am Dr Paul Flammond. I am a prisoner here, just like you.A year ago, I was close to perfecting the first magnetic desalinisation process. So revolutionary, it was capable of removing the salt from over a million gallons of sea water a day. Do you realise what that could mean to the starving nations of the earth?

Nick Rivers: They'd have enough salt to last forever!
We should hang out again, we could watch Top Secret! and other Zucker classics. Actually, locking that in for movie nights this week with the wife. SHE SHALL BE FORCED TO ENJOY THEM.

Choc

Banned
Translation: You have nothing to say about the real issues. :)

Arksy had he not put the lance armstrong thing in the tweet could be taken seriously.

The other things are issues yes (except BHP did say that the carbon tax isn't the reason for the decision so you can really only go by what the company says).

This government has fucked up there is no doubt. It's just that the alternate government has offered zero alternatives.

We learnt a harsh lesson of what happens when you elect someone without policies (and QLD even more so now). Lets not repeat that at the Federal level.

THe reason why i focusde on the armstrong area so much was its inane stupidity. having read later WHY armstrong was in the tweet, it may be a valid point (although to be fair as if the government at the time knew that LA was doping....).

Just wasn't communicated by his staffers very well at all......

You conveniently ignored my post where i slammed the Labor government over increase in poverty as well....

edit: oh right, South Australia. Obviously don't follow it but yes it sounds like labor has been there just a tad to long, i will agree. But yep, it only takes 1 slight thing to ruin a point. I am sure you agree with that.

Arksy

Arksy had he not put the lance armstrong thing in the tweet could be taken seriously.

The other things are issues yes (except BHP did say that the carbon tax isn't the reason for the decision so you can really only go by what the company says).

This government has fucked up there is no doubt. It's just that the alternate government has offered zero alternatives.

We learnt a harsh lesson of what happens when you elect someone without policies (and QLD even more so now). Lets not repeat that at the Federal level.

THe reason why i focusde on the armstrong area so much was its inane stupidity. having read later WHY armstrong was in the tweet, it may be a valid point (although to be fair as if the government at the time knew that LA was doping....).

Just wasn't communicated by his staffers very well at all......

You conveniently ignored my post where i slammed the Labor government over increase in poverty as well....

edit: oh right, South Australia. Obviously don't follow it but yes it sounds like labor has been there just a tad to long, i will agree. But yep, it only takes 1 slight thing to ruin a point. I am sure you agree with that.

Haha yep. Agreed. :D

SA Labor are pretty much on the nose but the SA libs have as far as we know ceased to exist.

Shaneus

Latrineeeee!
Honestly, I don't think you'd ever find a better downplayed comedic performance better than Kilmer's in that movie... with the possible exception of Leslie Nielsen in anything.

Nick Rivers: Hillary. That's an unusual name.
Hillary Flammond: It's a German name. It means 'she whose bosoms defy gravity'.
Nick Rivers: I'm pleased to meet you. My name's Nick.
Hillary Flammond: Nick? What does that mean?
Nick Rivers: Oh, nothing. My dad thought of it while he was shaving.

Deeku

Not sure if I wana go, I don't really even know that much Zelda music to begin with.

plus zelda music ain't even that hot...:O

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom