• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 7 - We hang out IRL now and be social and shit. (Also, Adrian's Revenge)

Status
Not open for further replies.
next melb gaf meet up!

oct 19th! 5pm, in the CBD

participants include
holycheck
bananaarnie
omi
aon
lafiel
evlcookie
man
shaneus

maybe
eat children
Megadrive + lady megadrive
fappen

showing up later
aniseed

fuck you
cods

weather forcast:
mostly sunny,22

currently meet up is at PJ O'Brien's
ill make a call tomorrow and see if they can fit us or something.
stay tuned.

Omikron

C14BC5D23C3C7A000322069F7D7A01673DB0284A

#XCOM

Cohsae

So I've had X-COM (& Dishonoured) sitting on my Steam account untouched for a week on account of the exam I had yesterday. Last night I finally got to play X-COM and OMGOMGOMG.
I can't believe that this exists. It's everything I hoped for.

Shaneus

Hopefully it has an outside area, nice weather tomorrow!
Going by the photos on their main page, it appears the venue may have been chosen... poorly.

Bb0kv.jpg

But on the plus side, if the name is any indication we can wear our pyjamas there. Which I'm totally down with.

PS. Reptile, it looks better when it's written as "jerbs". Say it out loud. It's more fun :)

senahorse

Wasn't someone else mega keen too? Jambo? Shaneus?

We were going to get an RT, but after seeing the price reveal (which I personally don't think is bad but more than it's worth to us) and the delay in getting them we have decided to wait till Jan/Feb and get a couple of the Pro models. Will install Win8 as my main OS in the next week or so and also we are planning on getting the Lumia 920's and give the Windows experience a go again.

Fredescu

All depends what you are running I guess. Like I guess you're in, I am also in a vmware environment and we commonly have issues with IO wait on certain servers, some of which might be because our environment is a little oversubscribed but certain software that is vmware (well approved for virtual environments) approved runs pretty crappy compared to when we run on dedicated hardware.
I think that's mostly going to come down to storage speed more than anything, although different hypervisors claim to run certain things better than others, so maybe there are some application specific things. I've been involved with dozens of virtual environments at this point and I've never seen a situation where performance issues were the fault of the (properly configured) hypervisor. They're mostly small/medium environments though to be fair.

wait till Jan/Feb and get a couple of the Pro models.
The more I think about it, the more I want a Surface Pro. I reckon I would pay up to $1200 for one, depending on specs.

Communication of these exceptions to 2GB’s program director who will then be responsible to ensure that another current affairs program presents an alternative significant viewpoint to that presented in the program hosted by Jones so that 2GB can discharge its obligations under the codes.
Wow. 2GB must be pissed.

senahorse

I think that's mostly going to come down to storage speed more than anything, although different hypervisors claim to run certain things better than others, so maybe there are some application specific things. I've been involved with dozens of virtual environments at this point and I've never seen a situation where performance issues were the fault of the (properly configured) hypervisor. They're mostly small/medium environments though to be fair.
Firstly a disclaimer, I am a network engineer so leave most of the VM environment up to the server team but commonly get involved when it comes to the networking side in our VDC (2 large data centres connected via a 40Gb link), so if I say anything about the virtual environment that sounds off, that may be to my ignorance in some areas.
That certainly could contribute to it. We are currently in the process of upgrading a lot of the infrastructure and have moved most of the 3020's over to Flex10's (all dual homed back to Nexus 5Ks so a 20Gb link essentially) and are currently looking at utilising fibre channel through the whole path from virtual to Nexus 5/7Ks to SAN and are seeing improvements every step of the way. In terms of size I guess we are medium to large, we have about 120 ESXi hosts and using about 1500 VMs. We are currently looking at rolling out (well still testing) VDI's where the subscription ratio may hit 200 clients.

The more I think about it, the more I want a Surface Pro. I reckon I would pay up to $1200 for one, depending on specs.

I can see the pro being from handy for work and home and very versatile. I would expect the base level to be 1000-1200 here with the 128GB model possibly costing 1400.

melbgaf melbgaf melbgaf melbgaf melbgaf melbgaf melbgaf melbgaf melbgaf melbgaf melbgaf melbgaf melbgaf melbgaf melbgaf melbgaf melbgaf melbgaf melbgaf melbgaf melbgaf melbgaf

Code:
12:15:20 - banananana: ok
12:15:22 - banananana: booked
12:15:28 - banananana: 8 people 5 30 
12:15:30 - banananana: outside
12:15:33 - banananana: mel gafson
12:15:40 - banananana: someone else post the update
12:15:42 - banananana: im late for school
12:15:54 - banananana: beer delux

Fredescu

That certainly could contribute to it.
It all comes down to IOPS. There's a good short article on it here if you're interested: http://blog.synology.com/blog/?p=146

I can see the pro being from handy for work and home and very versatile. I would expect the base level to be 1000-1200 here with the 128GB model possibly costing 1400.
Yeah, if I can reasonably treat it as a laptop that I can occasionally unplug the keyboard from, rather than a tablet that I can plug a keyboard into, I'm sold.

Shaneus

melbgaf melbgaf melbgaf melbgaf melbgaf melbgaf melbgaf melbgaf melbgaf melbgaf melbgaf melbgaf melbgaf melbgaf melbgaf melbgaf melbgaf melbgaf melbgaf melbgaf melbgaf melbgaf

Code:
12:15:20 - banananana: ok
12:15:22 - banananana: booked
12:15:28 - banananana: 8 people 5 30 
12:15:30 - banananana: outside
12:15:33 - banananana: mel gafson
12:15:40 - banananana: someone else post the update
12:15:42 - banananana: im late for school
12:15:54 - banananana: beer delux
8 people be enough? I'd have thought it'd be better to get a 10+ table and then we're set. And if not, I'm sure some of you smell enough for me to not want to sit right next to you.

senahorse

It all comes down to IOPS. There's a good short article on it here if you're interested: http://blog.synology.com/blog/?p=146

Yeah, if I can reasonably treat it as a laptop that I can occasionally unplug the keyboard from, rather than a tablet that I can plug a keyboard into, I'm sold.

Cheers, bookmarked, will have a good read of it when I get a chance. I think the pro will suit that usage just fine. I like the idea of being able to type up something in office, take it out in the field and plug in a serial to usb adapter, sit in a meeting and scribble notes with the pen. I am due for a laptop but don't like laptops as they are usually too big and bulky (excepting recent ultrabooks) so the pro at under 1KG seems perfect to me.

edit: new Idle Thumbs :D

Omikron

8 people be enough? I'd have thought it'd be better to get a 10+ table and then we're set. And if not, I'm sure some of you smell enough for me to not want to sit right next to you.

I barely sat at all last time anyways. I am just pro it being outside :p

Shaneus

I barely sat at all last time anyways. I am just pro it being outside :p
This is true. I can't sit down and drink.

Oh guys, I'm not usually one for pimping things, but I just found out these guys are Australian so they deserve it in here. True Axis' latest title (after the surprisingly impressive Jet Car Stunts) is out now on the iOS App. Store. I bought it just now, and it's basically fingerboarding but in a sandbox environment (so no real goals or scoring as such, although there are different tricks to learn/master etc) and it's a hell of a lot of fun. Looks really good on my 4S, seems to run at 30fps (I think) but still controls really well. I can imagine there'll be a few videos/replays filmed using it and uploaded on YT (although I don't think there's that particular feature, but I'm sure someone'll find a way to do that).

It's $2. It feels like fingerboarding. It's pretty fucking cool.

I'm keen, but going to wait for the Pro early next year.

So it's pretty much on me. Still not preordering. I'll wait to see how it goes. Apparently preorders of coverless Surface have sold out already.

Started my second game this morning. Instead of relying on one crack team of super soldiers I'm spreading out the experience so losing one dude doesn't set me waaaaay back.

Clipper

SydGAF, Mr. Syd Gaf is having triplets in November and they need your help. In other words, we have three impending interstate visitors, jambo, Holycheck and shanshan, over a period of three weeks and we need to organise ourselves to show them a good time while they're here.

I've put up a Google Docs survey so we can figure out numbers for the three visitors we are getting in November. Please fill in which times you can attend so we can finalise dates with the most numbers.

And if anybody wants me to add or change options in the survey, let me know.

legend166

I find it funny that a broadcaster can get in trouble for telling lies but no one cares when politicians do it every single day.

And as much as I dislike Alan Jones, the idea that a radio station can be forced to 'present a range of viewpoints' is a bit weird.

But Labor's been all about this whole media censorship thing so I guess it's not surprising.

Lead paragraph of a media release from the Queensland Government:

Health Minister Lawrence Springborg has questioned the Opposition’s focus on gay health issues after not one Labor MP, including State Leader Annastacia Palaszczuk, asked a single question on HIV statistics during yesterday’s Estimates hearings

Really? Is it still the 80s? Does the LNP think only gay guys get HIV?

I find it funny that a broadcaster can get in trouble for telling lies but no one cares when politicians do it every single day.

And as much as I dislike Alan Jones, the idea that a radio station can be forced to 'present a range of viewpoints' is a bit weird.

But Labor's been all about this whole media censorship thing so I guess it's not surprising.

I recommend not watching the first US election debate lest you die of laughter. Dat Romney.

Pretty sad walking around Allans in Pitt St.

Slim pickings for the vultures (like me) but when the fittings have prices on them, it's pretty sobering.

The outside tables are outside. Cant do much about changing the size.
Anyway im all for phones having the photo click sound as compulsory.
I just got creeper shot by an asain lady sitting opposite me on the train.
I told her to delete it but I doubt she has.

:(
I dont want my photo out there. Especially not that one

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom