• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 7 - We hang out IRL now and be social and shit. (Also, Adrian's Revenge)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Choc

Banned
Is there any information about the schedule? Any reason at this point to pay for all 3 days? I'm somewhat ignorant of the PAX formula...

Maybe look at the US schedules? They don't have schedules because they don't have things confirmed yet.

However on twitter it sounds like the giantbomb dudes are very keen on coming. Which surprises me a bit, its a long arse way.

i dont know where cross dresser fits in on that chart

kritz's friend is a cross dresser

there i said it now you can stop posting confusing images

ps choc whats that from

r1chard

Maybe look at the US schedules? They don't have schedules because they don't have things confirmed yet.

However on twitter it sounds like the giantbomb dudes are very keen on coming. Which surprises me a bit, its a long arse way.
I've been poking around. I don't think 3 days is long enough.

People from O/S love coming out to conferences and conventions here. If they have the means (either directly, through grants or sponsorship.)

r1chard

I've just noticed that PAX is at the Melbourne Showgrounds. Is the expo hall there going to be big enough for this?

Damn. Why is it not at the convention and expo center? WTF? Where would the keynotes and panels be held?

Edit: Also, middle of winter. WTF.

Choc

Banned
Choc you know it's by a NeoGAFfer yes?

yeah

that and the wario64 reference is making me buy that game tonight

edit: tons of game dev studios are popping up in Melbourne, perhaps GB can justify it by visiting them as well.

also guys Victorian Government is an official sponsor. I guess we know why Melbourne got picked now :)

teekun

Damn. Why is it not at the convention and expo center? WTF? Where would the keynotes and panels be held?

I guess the showgrounds has a number of indoor areas, but the decision still seems really strange to me. I mean, there's going to be a BOC gaming area. Where is that going to be set up? Having plenty of outdoor space could be a plus, if this wasn't happening in the middle of winter.

r1chard

I guess the showgrounds has a number of indoor areas, but the decision still seems really strange to me. I mean, there's going to be a BOC gaming area. Where is that going to be set up?
Not only that, but I'd not want to have to cart all my PC gear up from the car park ...

also guys Victorian Government is an official sponsor. I guess we know why Melbourne got picked now :)
That'd be a given regardless of the state it's held in. Well, except perhaps Queensland because confused.

Choc

Banned
Not only that, but I'd not want to have to cart all my PC gear up from the car park ...

That'd be a given regardless of the state it's held in. Well, except perhaps Queensland because confused.

I doubt the NSW gvt would sponsor it. Fat shit runs the place.

edit: ok after today i am starting to think Swan is a Liberal in disguise. Just hit the private health rebate AGAIN and kids bonus reduced 2 grand.

Gazunta

Yeah Victoria is WAY ahead of Queensland with funding initiatives.

I'm waiting to find out if I'm going to AusPAX. Maybe I'll go to Gazuntacon instead!

Rezbit

Melbourne sure does love having events. Will look at buying a ticket shortly. Guess I'll go for 3 day job? Iunno.

Also presuming there are enough pavilions? If the Melbourne Showgrounds are anything like the one down here.

Find a second hand Figma Samus at Mandarake the morning after I buy a new one on eBay.

Knew it would happen. Always the way.

Assume Brad Giblin et al had a hand in that.

teekun

The other weird thing is the site keeps referring to "Expo Hall" in its hours. They surely can't mean that the entirety of the show will be held in the Expo Hall, right? That's not even close to the biggest indoor area there.

The whole thing is going to be a gamble this year. They're still taking submissions for panels and talks, and there's no schedule. I wouldn't be surprised if 3-day passes sell out before any of that stuff gets locked down.

edit: and the Expo hall closes at 7pm every night... but the show is open until 12? How does that work?

Kritz

Banned
Debating over hotels with friends. I don't really want to go the backpacker route but a friend seems into the idea. For QLD I was at, for a single night, a fancy $200 per night place that was pretty good but also probably outside of my friend's price range.

We'll probably get a 2/3/4 bedroom room depending on how sexy 2-4 men want to get.

History says: pretty sexy.

Fuck it, booked the 3 day pass.

My offer for crashing at my place during PAX still stands, for those coming from outside Melbourne. Got 3 spare rooms. :)
soo mannny rooooms
cat-sparkle-eyes.jpg_thumb.jpg

Shaneus

What's that game by a GAFfer that Choc posted on the last page?

Thank goodness, I know I'd lose mine if it showed up next week.
I'd just leave mine in the letterbox, that way I'd know where it is!

It's the same at PAX East. The free play arcade area is still open, panels go to midnight and there's also the concerts. Still plenty to do.
Plus, I've just sent a tweet to the Idle Thumbs guys, so there's every chance they'll come. Perhaps I should've told them Tetsuya Mizuguchi follows me on Twitter and will probably be there if I ask him to.

Choc

Banned
Campbell Newman the cunt lied again.

And will get yet another free pass. Sexism in action everybody. Guarantee if it was a female premier it would be liar liar pants on fire like it has been with Julia. (although her name does unfortunately head to juliar easily)

Media free pass for campbell cunt newman is getting to be ridiculous. 3 lies now vs JG's 1.

i don't necessarily disagree with his decision, what i disagree with is politicians not going to the electorate with truthful fucking policy. Yes it happens but its gotten abhorrant in QLD. No public service cuts? my fucking arse. No frontline jobs cut? Doctors and nurses went so fuck him and his anus.

PS Blood on his hands and how can he sleep at night etc. A few public servants have suicided because of that cunt.

and for what its worth

Fuck federal labor today. The budget cuts are disgusting. But in many ways its Abbotts fault because he is demanding a surplus no matter what the economic and social impact. Unfortunately ALP is taking it hook line and sinker.

the ALP should have the guts to just take a slight deficit and deal with abbott but they know the electorate are to fucking stupid to realise sometimes a deficit is a good thing.....

I plan to read Maxine Mckews book on the knifing. It will be an interesting read I think for anyone that gives a fuck about what is going on in Canberra.

Yug

Yug is organising PAXAus. Definitely a gamer but I've no idea about con experience. I'm sure the regular PAX guys will be helping anyway.

My official title is the 'Content and Communications Manager for PAX Australia', but there's a big team behind getting PAX to Australia.

In regards to your concerns, don't worry, the same events company that looks after PAX in the States (ReedPOP) are the same ones doing it here, not to mention the fact Penny Arcade are involved with every step of the show.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
My official title is the 'Content and Communications Manager for PAX Australia', but there's a big team behind getting PAX to Australia.

In regards to your concerns, don't worry, the same events company that looks after PAX in the States (ReedPOP) are the same ones doing it here, not to mention the fact Penny Arcade are involved with every step of the show.

I still require esports before I attend!

So today I learned that a setup with pneumatic positioners paired with I/P transducers instead of just using electropneumatic positioners was actually once a thing for single-range valve control. I was just assuming the valves on site did it the modern way and someone pulled me up on it today.

I feel like such an idiot :/

markot

Banned
Wb markot.

Choc, link to context re Newman?

TY!

And I think he is talking about allowing nuclear minning in QLD http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-10-22/qld-government-lifts-uranium-mining-ban/4326912 But its hard to tell with Choc >.<

Alsooooooooo

Why isnt there an Ikea in Canberra?! 2 in Melbourne but none here? Swedish neutral bastards!

Not to mention the founder of Ikea lives in Switzerland to avoid taxes! Thats double the neutral cowardice! There wouldnt be an Ikea if Hitler won the war!

Clipper

So yeah, I just booked PAX Aus tickets ($115), plane tickets ($89 each way) and a hotel for the stay ($315 for 4 nights in a 3.5 star which seems connected by train to the Showgrounds, so pretty good price). I'll be flying in Thursday afternoon and flying out Monday night (will do touristy stuff on Monday), so if you guys want to do a pre-PAX meetup on Thursday night or something, I'm in. Of course we can do a during-PAX meeting too...

We definitely need to do some sort of meetup then (especially as it means I win the AusGAF Grand Slam race with Kritz, unless he gets to Sydney before July and shanshan, unless she gets to Tasmania before then :p)

TY!

And I think he is talking about allowing nuclear minning in QLD http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-10-22/qld-government-lifts-uranium-mining-ban/4326912 But its hard to tell with Choc >.<

Alsooooooooo

Why isnt there an Ikea in Canberra?! 2 in Melbourne but none here? Swedish neutral bastards!

Not to mention the founder of Ikea lives in Switzerland to avoid taxes! Thats double the neutral cowardice! There wouldnt be an Ikea if Hitler won the war!

Because Canberra is a hole?

Also as much as I agree Newman said he in 2011 the LNP had no plans to review uranium mining, he did say he wasn't ruling it out. I don't like the guy, but this wasn't one of his worst backflips.

Edit: Wait he said it again 2 weeks ago? Yeah OK, that's pretty bad.

Choc

Banned
The decision came only 10 days after Premier Newman told the Australian Conservation Foundation that he had no plans to lift the uranium ban, and accusations from the Labor opposition and the Queensland Greens that he has broken an election promise.

yep......

election quote

""The LNP has made it crystal clear that we have no plans to approve the development of uranium in Queensland." - Campbell Newman, 12 March 2012"

like i said im not necessarily against the idea but this lying bullshit is ridiculous. It should be if you knowingly misled the electorate you are out, end of story. They can change policy after elections based on things changing but fuck all has changed.... on 3 counts. 3 lies, out on your arse. Its the way it shoul dbe

"""We have no plans and that's as clear as I can be. The parliamentary team are very, very clear that we have no plans to develop any sort of uranium mines in Queensland." - Campbell Newman, 16 November 2011"

Choc

Banned
Seriously

FUCKIN SERIOUSLY

A5yI1-8CAAAp2iH.jpg:large

OUT
THE
FUCKING
DOOR

if its that obvious, you simply should go for misleading the electorate.

Arksy

I wrote a political rant in reply to choc, but deleted it. I'm bor3d and want something to play. I don't feel like debating I just want to blow shit up. :(

Kritz

Banned
So yeah, I just booked PAX Aus tickets ($115), plane tickets ($89 each way) and a hotel for the stay ($315 for 4 nights in a 3.5 star which seems connected by train to the Showgrounds, so pretty good price). I'll be flying in Thursday afternoon and flying out Monday night (will do touristy stuff on Monday), so if you guys want to do a pre-PAX meetup on Thursday night or something, I'm in. Of course we can do a during-PAX meeting too...

We definitely need to do some sort of meetup then (especially as it means I win the AusGAF Grand Slam race with Kritz, unless he gets to Sydney before July and shanshan, unless she gets to Tasmania before then :p)

Which hotel are you staying at? Those prices seem pretty reasonable.

Unfortunately I still haven't found a reason to be in Sydney. :(

Let's see what this Looper shit is all about. God the local Tasmania ads in the cinema are hot garbage.

r1chard

Ignore all my concerns about PAX at the Showgrounds. I have been reliably informed that the entire place has been levelled and rebuilt since I was last there and that it'd be eminently suitable for PAX.

3 day pass GET.

senahorse

Are people expecting the tickets to sell out or something? I don't know what I am going to be doing come mid next year so unsure whether to commit or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom