• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 7 - We hang out IRL now and be social and shit. (Also, Adrian's Revenge)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
nyRlc.jpg

fun fact: chris franklin doesn't smoke winfield blues as shown in the im a bloke film clip, but rather winny reds!

Thought I was crushing it in XCOM, then I look in the situation room and nine countries are on the brink of leaving. Fuck.

Go Wallabies too. I mean they're going to lose, but go then anyway. And they lose the ball. Motherfucker

http://kritz.net/goty/

Y'know, I think my GOTY voting site is nearing feature completion.

I am still throwing up the idea of letting users do a little writeup of the games they've rated, as well as having a separated "this is my GOTY list" thing where users get to pick from 10 games they've rated, and stick them in the order they wish to rank them. And then clone the GAF rating system for deciding the final games of the year. I've added some filtering options, a better search that's more accessible from the main voting list, I've made it a bit more explicit about what platforms the games you're voting on are for, as well as a little signin about message telling you what's up with the site.

And the GOTY rankings now have something a bit cleaner in them, as well as testing out some different ranking algorithms. This page will be updated a lot during the next few months, assuming people use the site, to have more interesting statistics as well as just raw data dumps.

So, I guess that's that.

EDIT: last post of the page. Fuck. Fuck you.
For new page

Jintor

http://kritz.net/goty/

Y'know, I think my GOTY voting site is nearing feature completion.

I am still throwing up the idea of letting users do a little writeup of the games they've rated, as well as having a separated "this is my GOTY list" thing where users get to pick from 10 games they've rated, and stick them in the order they wish to rank them. And then clone the GAF rating system for deciding the final games of the year. I've added some filtering options, a better search that's more accessible from the main voting list, I've made it a bit more explicit about what platforms the games you're voting on are for, as well as a little signin about message telling you what's up with the site.

And the GOTY rankings now have something a bit cleaner in them, as well as testing out some different ranking algorithms. This page will be updated a lot during the next few months, assuming people use the site, to have more interesting statistics as well as just raw data dumps.

So, I guess that's that.

EDIT: last post of the page. Fuck. Fuck you.

oh hey kritz posted something cool

hamchan

New Computer time.

What I got from the PC thread here and whirlpool:

CPU: Intel Core i5 3570 $209
Mobo: ASUS P8Z77-V LK Motherboard $152 or Asrock B75 Pro3-M $70 (not out yet)
RAM: G.Skill Ares 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1600 $45
SSD: Samsung 830 Series 128GB $99
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB (ST2000DM001) $99
GPU: Gigabyte 2GB Nvidia Geforce GTX670 OC $435
Case: Silverstone TJ08-E $99
PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 520W $83
ODD: DVD burner $19
CPU HSF: Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO $35 (Install the fan on the heatsink in a pull configuration, to clear the hard drive. Use the Asrock fan control software to tune the fan to your liking)

Total: $1275 or $1193

Seems good?

Fredescu

New Computer time.

What I got from the PC thread here and whirlpool:

CPU: Intel Core i5 3570 $209
Mobo: ASUS P8Z77-V LK Motherboard $152 or $70 (not out yet)
RAM: G.Skill Ares 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1600 $45
SSD: Samsung 830 Series 128GB $99
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB (ST2000DM001) $99
GPU: Gigabyte 2GB Nvidia Geforce GTX670 OC $435
Case: Silverstone TJ08-E $99
PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 520W $83
ODD: DVD burner $19
CPU HSF: Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO $35 (Install the fan on the heatsink in a pull configuration, to clear the hard drive. Use the Asrock fan control software to tune the fan to your liking)

Total: $1275 or $1193

Seems good?

Get the 3570K rather than the plain 3570. The K means you can overclock, which you might not want to do now, but some funky console emulator might come out asking for super high clock speed (like Dolphin did at the time) and you'll be kicking yourself for saving $20.

The first motherboard you listed won't fit in the case you've listed. That case is small and will only take Micro ATX motherboards. If you definitely want a small case, make sure you do your research on whether every other component will fit, like the height of the heatsink, and length of the video card.

I'm not sure how strict your budget is, but personally I'd spring the extra for a modular PSU with a longer warranty (3y vs 5y) like this: http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=15_972&products_id=15957 .

hamchan

Grab a Kingston SSD! Much cheap, just as reliable and just as fast read and write!

I can't find any at PCCG!

Get the 3570K rather than the plain 3570. The K means you can overclock, which you might not want to do now, but some funky console emulator might come out asking for super high clock speed (like Dolphin did at the time) and you'll be kicking yourself for saving $20.

The first motherboard you listed won't fit in the case you've listed. That case is small and will only take Micro ATX motherboards. If you definitely want a small case, make sure you do your research on whether every other component will fit, like the height of the heatsink, and length of the video card.

I'm not sure how strict your budget is, but personally I'd spring the extra for a modular PSU with a longer warranty (3y vs 5y) like this: http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=15_972&products_id=15957 .

Thanks Fred.

Changed to a 3570k.

Changed the case to a BitFenix Shinobi that can take ATX motherboards.

Changed to that modular PSU.

All up it's $1300. Max I can go is $1500, so seems pretty good.

Also what happened to sound cards? Do those not matter anymore?

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I can't find any at PCCG!

Thanks Fred.

Changed to a 3570k.

Changed the case to a BitFenix Shinobi that can take ATX motherboards.

Changed to that modular PSU.

All up it's $1300. Max I can go is $1500, so seems pretty good.

Also what happened to sound cards? Do those not matter anymore?

Yes and No. It all depends on what sort of speakers you are going to throw on it. If it's just some random shit or cheapish headphones, you can do fine with on board.

Since you're max is $1500. I might take a look later on as well, see what else we can tweak. Are you in a rush ?

hamchan

Yes and No. It all depends on what sort of speakers you are going to throw on it. If it's just some random shit or cheapish headphones, you can do fine with on board.

Since you're max is $1500. I might take a look later on as well, see what else we can tweak. Are you in a rush ?

Nah, no rush to buy this. Can even wait until next month.

Clipper

take my stupid answers clipper

TAKE THEM
Thanks mate!

What goes down at these Syd triplet like events exactly?
For the dinner/snacks/drinks ones we'll all meet somewhere in the City, likely Circular Quay, then meander through one or a few places getting some drinks and food along the way. The whole time, we'll be constantly chatting about stuff and generally having a good time.

For the board game day, everybody travels out to my place in Randwick and we spend the day enjoying awesome card and board games and chatting about stuff. We have lunch somewhere at the shops just down the road in the middle and there'll usually be snacks and stuff during the games too.

Each of these upcoming events also has somebody from outside SydGAF visiting as the special guest, so there's that too.

Here's the link again for others that are interested...

since friday i have developed what seems to be a cold.
not sure where it came from but just thought you might all like to know because surprise colds are THE FUCKING WORST

Jintor

Finished TWD Ep4. I...
actually had kind of a good end before the SHOCKING SWERVE. God DAMN. They got me really good with a few of those twist scares though

Fucking terrified for Ep 5. Lay it on me, Rodkin, Vanaman, Whitta!

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
NFS the run for $5 on amazon. Requires origin, Not the end of the world.

People should get it so we can race each others times. Aka, I wanna be the best so no one should buy it.

Gazunta

Thought I was crushing it in XCOM, then I look in the situation room and nine countries are on the brink of leaving. Fuck.

Yeah I got to that situation last night ad just decided to restart my game. Hopefully this time I don't make a complete balls up of Europe like I did last time. Still it's funny how I look at my new soldiers and I'm like, who are you imposters, you ain't got shit on my OG crew.

Steam says I've sunk 34 hours into it do far but that can't be right. That's like 3 hours a day since the game came out?

They have a machine at Sydney airport Qantas Club that makes fresh hot pancakes. Pretty, pretty good.

Oh man I forgot about that machine. That thing rocks. Fuck I miss flying!

As soon as I started writing this post Ricki Lee came on the radio. THAT'S KISMET BABY.

Three weekends until Supanova AKA the most important event of the year. For the price of a Felicia Day photograph you can buy all my comics! What a deal.

I will spend all your money buying Felicia Day autographs

Fogz

Three weekends until Supanova AKA the most important event of the year. For the price of a Felicia Day photograph you can buy all my comics! What a deal.

I will spend all your money buying Felicia Day autographs

Use the money to buy Felicia Day autographs to put on your comics then sell them for MORE money!

Yeah I got to that situation last night ad just decided to restart my game. Hopefully this time I don't make a complete balls up of Europe like I did last time. Still it's funny how I look at my new soldiers and I'm like, who are you imposters, you ain't got shit on my OG crew.

Steam says I've sunk 34 hours into it do far but that can't be right. That's like 3 hours a day since the game came out?

I somehow fought my way through. Still going on that same game, I'm down to like two or three guys from my original crew. Shotsy Ramirez and Long Shot McKay are continuing to cut through the alien hordes

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
So highlights of my melbourne 3-day adventure.

- Was trying to see Beasts of the Southern Wild at the Cinema Nova in Carlton, but the theater apparently made a mistake on the schedule, so I ended up seeing Searching for Sugar Man instead on impulse, which was a really fucking incredible documentary, the context of how I saw it, and how the themes resonated with me on a personal level, especially the whole idea of how art can influence others on a unexpected subliminal level was so damn good.

- Hung out at the hostel bar alone.. it was a damn awkward experience, especially the noise, dunno people say I have to much self-confidence, but I struggled to even start a conversation with anyone there, oh well it was a interesting learning experience either way, might try it again sometime.:p

- Talked to a guy from germany, and a funny south korean guy at my hostel, was fun interacting with people from DIFFERENT cultures, funny enough I somehow ran into the korean guy again when I was heading to my grandparents at flinders street station.

- Tried starbucks for the first time, just for the fun of it, the most amusing part was how the girl at the counter misspelled my name as jake

- After the meet-up, I realized I was walking the wrong way, went back to flinders street station, somehow saw Shaneus with his headphones on, waved to him, and he pretty much acted like he didn't know me awkward.

- Unsure about how I went on the STAT test - I ended up wasting like 10-15 minutes because of some bullshit with how I was filling the answer sheet, so I was strapped for time during the last 20 questions. From some digging around it doesn't seem hard to get a high ATAR score from these, hopefully my VTAC personal history + STAT results gives me at least a ATAR of 65-70.50.. at worst I'll at least get in to the double arts/science degree and can just do a dip ed at the end of it.

- The atmosphere of melbourne at night is so INTENSELY dream-like and surreal compared to walking around geelong. It's pretty cool.

- My grandmother going on about how I SHOULDN'T GET A GIRLFRIEND DURING UNI BECAUSE IT WILL DISTRACT FROM MY STUDIES.. and I need to become a good teacher, typical asian grandparents.;p

So yeah - had a pretty fun couple of days overall, probably the worst part was being forced to take some useless supplements by my grandmother, I had to compromise on my self-proclaimed skepticism, and getting lost several times, missing trains, buses etc because of how confusing I was finding melbourne public transport.

Shaneus

- After the meet-up, I realized I was walking the wrong way, went back to flinders street station, somehow saw Shaneus with his headphones on, waved to him, and he pretty much acted like he didn't know me awkward.
Shit man, I honestly didn't see you! The moment I put my headphones on I usually tune out pretty fucking quickly to everything that isn't within a 1m radius, so don't feel offended :) And besides, at that time I was probably trying to work out when the next train back to G-town was leaving.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Shit man, I honestly didn't see you! The moment I put my headphones on I usually tune out pretty fucking quickly to everything that isn't within a 1m radius, so don't feel offended :) And besides, at that time I was probably trying to work out when the next train back to G-town was leaving.
I thought it was intentional - because of the whole thing you said about how you were embarrassed to hang out with us.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom