• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 7 - We hang out IRL now and be social and shit. (Also, Adrian's Revenge)

Status
Not open for further replies.

N0VAM0D

Well.... what are you doing with your gap year?

Overseas?

Yeah, man. I'm hoping to spend 3 months in Japan, then 3 months in Italy, most likely taking language courses and living with host families! Apart from that, I'll be spending my time earning some more cash, and improving on my hobbies, and perhaps get into something new (I've been interested in capoeira recently). I guess uni just isn't for me right now, I mean, I don't think I'm ready.

Jintor

Is good plan. I think I could've done with a gap year. By the time I realised that, i was already too far into my degree to contemplate pulling out. Gonna finish it up and go do something else... which will probably fuck me over for graduate jobs, but fuck it.

N0VAM0D

Is good plan. I think I could've done with a gap year. By the time I realised that, i was already too far into my degree to contemplate pulling out. Gonna finish it up and go do something else... which will probably fuck me over for graduate jobs, but fuck it.

Yeah? What degree is that?

I gap yahed but instead of travelling I worked on my dad's farm. I know right! What a life. But I did earn enought to become independent and be able to get Youth Allowance. Worth it.

gf got a call from EB about ACIII, but they were just letting her know that she can get it tomorrow or go tonight to the midnight launch.

I have never been keen on an Assassin's Creed game before, I don't know why medieval Middle East/Italy is normally right up my alley, but I am psyched for 3. That said. I'm still balls deep in Xcom, haven't finished Borderlands and have Halo coming out soon. AC3 loses for now. I'll need something in the dark days of next March

Jintor

I kind of became a different person between high school and uni and having a gap year might've been more beneficial in terms of helping sort all that crap out. But then again, maybe not!

Omikron

It probably won't and you will be happier for it. Degrees open doors.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
So I might be phone interviewing someone.... big.

HALP.

What do I do, What do I do, What do I do, What do I do, What do I do.

VOOK

HALP.

Think of something different to ask him/her. Most journos ask people the same questions over and over again and it must bore them to tears. (I say this as a journo who knows I'm no cleverer than most others). If you can think of something new it'll blow his/her mind

Then chillax

If i can meet dudes and chillax you can meet dudes and chillax

Also this

Yeah, man. I'm hoping to spend 3 months in Japan, then 3 months in Italy, most likely taking language courses and living with host families! Apart from that, I'll be spending my time earning some more cash, and improving on my hobbies, and perhaps get into something new (I've been interested in capoeira recently). I guess uni just isn't for me right now, I mean, I don't think I'm ready.

nice nice :D I did the same thing, but only with Japan. You thinking of continuing Japanese on into uni? (DO IT!!!) Glad your taking a gap year, uni feels like a big commitment >< but at the same time I don't wanna leave because then I have to go into the real world and make something of myself.

also nice to meet you :D

Rezbit

I had my gap year after completing 5 years at uni and then working flat out for a year. Spent a year travelling when I was 24. Felt damn good man. I actually think it'd be easier to transition straight to uni after year 12 as they prepare you for all that stuff, and first year uni is really damn easy, feels like year 13 easy. Different strokes.

Jintor

God, I really hope I get JET after uni. That would be so good. I really don't want to have to do private tutoring crap with dodgy english colleges.

hamchan

I find that 4 month gap between semester 2 and semester 1 at the end of the year is enough time off for me. I can't really imagine myself taking a whole gap year.

VOOK

Think of something different to ask him/her. Most journos ask people the same questions over and over again and it must bore them to tears. (I say this as a journo who knows I'm no cleverer than most others). If you can think of something new it'll blow his/her mind

Yeah man we were scheduled to do one for Charles Martinet and I went and watched and listened to interviews he has done and it's all the same stuff. I came up with like 10 really uniquie and deep questions.

Then... yeah missed out due to... the help.

Currently chillaxing.

God, I really hope I get JET after uni. That would be so good. I really don't want to have to do private tutoring crap with dodgy english colleges.

Keep a look out with the Japanese teachers at your uni too. If there's a club or something join it. There are a couple of teachers who keep coming up to me with ALT offers because they think I'm graduating soon. There was this peeeerfect sounding one in Saitama too ;.;

You'll get into jet eeeeasy I reckon Jint, don't worry :D

I find that 4 month gap between semester 2 and semester 1 at the end of the year is enough time off for me. I can't really imagine myself taking a whole gap year.

Yeah, I think one semester was enough for me. That 4 month summer break is seriously needed though, for both monetary reasons and recharging. I don't think I could do uni if the break was much shorter ><

Wasn't he here last year?

Twitterer? N0VAM0D

Olivia @N0VAM0D
Oh man, Assassin's Creed III is not too far away now! Later, social life! #assassinscreed #hype
12:51 PM - 26 Oct 12 ·

Olivia &#8207;@N0VAM0D
On a better note, Assassin's Creed III isn't too far away! #AssassinsCreed #gaming #mybodyisready
6:24 PM - 23 Oct 12 ·

You don't happen to work for MCV do you? ;)

I can't wait to play Tokyo Jungle! Definitely buying it once I have some spare cash.
I was going to but then they pulled the PSN+ discount :(
Was the one game this year that the wife is interested in.

HALP.

Ask them if CliffyB has canvassed them for a job.

Picture them naked.
If it is a phone interview, get naked.
If it is a video interview, leave a shirt on.
If it is a meeting interview, wear a hat too. People like hats.

Also ask them how social media has influenced their game design.

legend166

Things that happened since I bought those Radiohead tickets

- Went to NYC, Boston and Washington
- Got an awesome girlfriend
- Swans won the premiership

I think 2012 is my best year ever.

N0VAM0D

nice nice :D I did the same thing, but only with Japan. You thinking of continuing Japanese on into uni? (DO IT!!!) Glad your taking a gap year, uni feels like a big commitment >< but at the same time I don't wanna leave because then I have to go into the real world and make something of myself.

also nice to meet you :D

Ah, that sounds great! How long did you stay there for, and what did you get up to? I'm definitely going to continue studying Japanese, 6 years in, and it remains a strong passion. And yeah, taking a gap year just feels right. I don't think I could handle university just yet!

Nice to meet you, too, Shan!

Gazunta

I look at 2012 as a frustrating series of missed opportunities and large scale tactical errors.

2013 is already looking to be incredible.

N0VAM0D

Olivia @N0VAM0D
Oh man, Assassin's Creed III is not too far away now! Later, social life! #assassinscreed #hype
12:51 PM - 26 Oct 12 ·

Olivia &#8207;@N0VAM0D
On a better note, Assassin's Creed III isn't too far away! #AssassinsCreed #gaming #mybodyisready
6:24 PM - 23 Oct 12 ·

You don't happen to work for MCV do you? ;)

I was going to but then they pulled the PSN+ discount :(
Was the one game this year that the wife is interested in.

Hahaha! Also, wow, didn't even realise I tweeted almost the same thing.
Don't mind me, just going to delete one of those as of immediately!

Ah, shame!

Jintor

Things that happened since I bought those Radiohead tickets

- Went to NYC, Boston and Washington
- Got an awesome girlfriend
- Swans won the premiership

I think 2012 is my best year ever.

2011 was my year. 2012 is okay but October in particular has ruined its metacritic rating.

Awesome, more people to practice my rudimentary japanese with

Someone sum up this 'journalism' hoopla for me in one paragraph. One normal paragraph not a livejournal paragraph.

Dude called out a bunch of game media people for acting like PR for a game so they could win a free PS3.
One of the media people threatened to sue the dude/publication.
Internet.
Other games media largely say, meh, to her using the legal system to stop people criticising her.
Slow buildup of reasons why it is shit.
Most of games media cowtow.
Internet.

Also I will livejournal if I want to. This place is my livejournal.

Or read the OP FFS.

Now with caffeine

We don't even sell the normal one anymore. Who the hell wants caffeinated Mountain Dew? yuck.

Ah, that sounds great! How long did you stay there for, and what did you get up to? I'm definitely going to continue studying Japanese, 6 years in, and it remains a strong passion. And yeah, taking a gap year just feels right. I don't think I could handle university just yet!

Nice to meet you, too, Shan!

I did a semester over there at a high school in Tokyo, then came back and started uni in semester two. Did homestay and stuff. Was fun times ! Maybe you could take Japanese as your minor, unless you wanna leave room for other stuff I guess :p

N0VAM0D

I did a semester over there at a high school in Tokyo, then came back and started uni in semester two. Did homestay and stuff. Was fun times ! Maybe you could take Japanese as your minor, unless you wanna leave room for other stuff I guess :p

So, it was like a student exchange? That sounds really great, I'm so eager to get over there! I've never been before!

Heh, yes, I was thinking about that. It is probably the best way to continue learning! Out of curiosity, how long have you been studying Japanese (assuming you have)?

Lately I've been having trouble drinking soft drink. Its just way too bubbly :(

So, it was like a student exchange? That sounds really great, I'm so eager to get over there! I've never been before!

Heh, yes, I was thinking about that. It is probably the best way to continue learning! Out of curiosity, how long have you been studying Japanese (assuming you have)?

yeah! If you're into the whole school deal you should apply! You get to wear the school uniform and eat bento and have bunkasai and stuff~ Well, I got really into it at least. haha. But then it is more school :p

I've been studying... 5 years now, I think? 2 in high school, then Japan, then 2 and a half at uni. Uni is certainly good in that it gives me incentive to study. I get really lazy otherwise. Midonnay and Deek are much better than I am though ><

Jintor

Stick to water.

I keep collapsing and getting a coke or a sunkist or... fucks up my stomach something bad. I think I'm going to restrict myself:

1) Coke in glass bottles
2) Coke in metal cans that I've put in my goddamn fridge for like 5 days and is nearly but not quite frozen
3) Mixed alcohol drinks

Everything else is water.

Shaneus

It's no good, man... I hear JET no longer exists. We still have this, though.

You can delete all you want; we'll remember.

We always remember.
Yeah, we're like Anonymous. Except... not that anonymous.

Cider > Mountain dew > Pepsi
Fix'd.

It's got electrolytes!
Ow, my balls!
(President Camacho is the raddest movie character ever)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom