• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 7 - We hang out IRL now and be social and shit. (Also, Adrian's Revenge)

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's pretty cool. I've always wanted to brew my own beer but am just too lazy.
It's pretty easy, I am brewing "all grain" (e.g. only using crushed grains, hops and water -- not any of those tins of goop) using the "brew in a bag" method (basically you infuse a giant teabag of grains instead of going through three stages, so it's a lot easier and faster).

Takes me about 4 hours from setup to finishing cleanup to brew 10-12L batches (which gets about a slab worth). Fermenting then takes a few weeks depending on the beer but doesn't require much interaction other than making sure it's at the right temperature. Priming (adding sugar to force carbonation, since I'm not kegging) and bottling takes another couple of hours from start to finish. Definitely the worst part of the whole process.

The weissbier I made most recently cost about $35 and I got 13 longnecks out of it. And here it is:
IMG_20121101_183103.jpg

hamchan

Amir0x thread was 0_o

$400 on drugs? I felt bad buying a Coke when we went through rough times.

Reading that thread, I have no sympathy for him if he really spent that much buying drugs for himself and then starts whining about all the other expenditures he has.

Apparently he asked GAF to help with the latter as well, which makes him even more of an asshole. He'd rather spend $400 of his savings on drugs to "make the final election week go fast" instead of on his own mother with poor health. Now I know he was an asshole just from his previous posts but this is fucking disgusting. Dude needs to go to rehab because this is horrible.

Link! Don't be a HolyCheck.

Link

I mean, the donations obviously went to his mum but he has a drug problem and felt the need to let everyone know that his recent $400 binge wasn't related to the money that was donated. It is less about the donations (although you can make a link that he felt it was okay to ask for donations in the past and now spend the $400 in such a poor manner rather than use that $400 on his family, even if not on his mum) and more that he needs some actual help.

It was just a bad thread to start really. Makes him look like oblivious to his situation or that he is crying out of help, I hope his friends IRL know about it and will offer him the support network he needs in order to cut down on that stuff and work towards his wedding/honeymoon/future as well as help out his mum.

Link

I mean, the donations obviously went to his mum but he has a drug problem and felt the need to let everyone know that his recent $400 binge wasn't related to the money that was donated. It is less about the donations (although you can make a link that he felt it was okay to ask for donations in the past and now spend the $400 in such a poor manner rather than use that $400 on his family, even if not on his mum) and more that he needs some actual help.

It was just a bad thread to start really. Makes him look like oblivious to his situation or that he is crying out of help, I hope his friends IRL know about it and will offer him the support network he needs in order to cut down on that stuff and work towards his wedding/honeymoon/future as well as help out his mum.
That made for a very depressing read. Not just for what it says about Amir0x, but as much for all of the people still willing to believe everything a hard core drug addict tells them when it comes to money and their need for it.

midonnay

google "amirox drugs"

reminds me of the US election where you have some hermit conducting opposition research to take down enemies.

Housemate ended up at Watergardens train yard, where the night guard found him passed out next to a pile of his own vomit. He claimed he had nothing to drink and was in fact drugged by someone. Luckily the guard made him call me and didn't call the cops.

Just picked him up and got him home. He was stinking of vomit and beer. Why would anyone intentionally drug him and not steal his wallet and phone?

Yay Watergardens!

Jambo why is it so big if it's 5 albums.

legend166

And I guess I'm a little naive, but I had no idea there were so many people out there willing to rationalise hard drug use.

"Hey guys I just spent $400 on prescription pills, cocaine and heroin!"

"Oh wow man, that's a really stupid thing to do."

"WHO ARE YOU TO TELL SOMEONE ELSE WHAT THEY CAN DO WITH THEIR OWN BODY RAH RAH RAH!!!"

I feel sorry for his soon to be wife.

hamchan

And I guess I'm a little naive, but I had no idea there were so many people out there willing to rationalise hard drug use.

"Hey guys I just spent $400 on prescription pills, cocaine and heroin!"

"Oh wow man, that's a really stupid thing to do."

"WHO ARE YOU TO TELL SOMEONE ELSE WHAT THEY CAN DO WITH THEIR OWN BODY RAH RAH RAH!!!"

I feel sorry for his soon to be wife.

People are idiots in the thread. I dislike Amirox but even I want him to get off the shit.

Sadly, not my department.
I know, just thought I'd mention it :)

One aspect that (IMHO) doesn't get played up as much as it should – in the discussion in general I mean, not in your article – is the fact that having the same system in place across all of the media makes it easier for parents. You know that any argument against having R18+ for games is going to talk about parents and children, so pointing out the fact that having consistency across movies and games classifications removes confusion for parents (by making it easier for parents to understand the system and content) seems like a no-brainer.

If you paint R18+ for games as a pro-parent development (rather than just a pro-gamer development) then it seems like mainstream acceptance is pretty much a given.

Shaneus

Nah, Max Payne had the same break up of chapters. That would be down to Lake as a writer, which actually works really well (even if they needed a FUCKLOAD more time spent during day time events to contrast the annoying combat of the night events).

Combat system was terrible, needed to completely revamp the encounters and what is danger to Alan. Just becomes a boring trudge of FLASH -> HEADSHOTS over and over.
From reading that, I think it might be the sort of game I should wind the difficulty back on (I think I've started on hard?) just to appreciate the story a little more. I hate having to wrestle with game mechanics when it results in a lack of appreciation in the story and setting (and such a sexy setting it is too, at least on PC).

Also, I think I might have to watch Boss. It sounds awesome, but I keep forgetting about it :(

How far into Alan Wake are you? By the end of the first episode you will have decided if you like the combat or not.

Summarise that saga for me? I have Amir0x on ignore (have had since he lost his modship) and don't want to deal with a thread where half the posts are redacted.

He lashed out on $400 of drugs (worth more than that too) and was called out for it since GAF raised $11,000 for his mother a few months back.
Became obvious he has a drug problem, he seems to have taken notice of that fact now and will hopefully do something about it.

People were just getting shitty due to the facts not being laid out very well, or not knowing if he can be believed since he is a drug user, etc.
Main thing is the GAF donation fund went straight to his Mum, not into his bank account. All we can say is that he shouldn't have spent such a large amount of cash on drugs rather than stuff his whole family can enjoy.

midonnay

Also, I think I might have to watch Boss. It sounds awesome, but I keep forgetting about it :(

don't set your expectations too high....

its good...but not THAT good. The 2nd season is abit all over the place.

Its worth watching for the portrayal of the seedy side of politics. K. Grammar is spectacular.

ps: I've never understood the mentality of copy editiors writing the headlines...... Journos can't be trusted to think up Zingers?

Reading that thread, I have no sympathy for him if he really spent that much buying drugs for himself and then starts whining about all the other expenditures he has.

Apparently he asked GAF to help with the latter as well, which makes him even more of an asshole. He'd rather spend $400 of his savings on drugs to "make the final election week go fast" instead of on his own mother with poor health. Now I know he was an asshole just from his previous posts but this is fucking disgusting. Dude needs to go to rehab because this is horrible.
agreed.

Reading his thread I still don't think it was okay to do, even if the money was separate. If he's got $400 to blow on heroin he doesn't need handouts from gaf. Now it seems like he's backtracked and is saying that the money was to go to his mum so he didn't have to spend his money on her? Smh. Maybe he should be working to pay back the money or something instead of flaunting his drug binges to the people who donated. I'm curious what evilore thinks, I heard he donated a grand.

How far into Alan Wake are you? By the end of the first episode you will have decided if you like the combat or not.

He lashed out on $400 of drugs (worth more than that too) and was called out for it since GAF raised $11,000 for his mother a few months back.
Became obvious he has a drug problem, he seems to have taken notice of that fact now and will hopefully do something about it.

People were just getting shitty due to the facts not being laid out very well, or not knowing if he can be believed since he is a drug user, etc.
Main thing is the GAF donation fund went straight to his Mum, not into his bank account. All we can say is that he shouldn't have spent such a large amount of cash on drugs rather than stuff his whole family can enjoy.
Thanks. Makes sense now.

agreed.

Reading his thread I still don't think it was okay to do, even if the money was separate. If he's got $400 to blow on heroin he doesn't need handouts from gaf. Now it seems like he's backtracked and is saying that the money was to go to his mum so he didn't have to spend his money on her? Smh. Maybe he should be working to pay back the money or something instead of flaunting his drug binges to the people who donated. I'm curious what evilore thinks, I heard he donated a grand.

Read the thread, he posts in there.

Also donations are now meant to be paid back?

Rlan

Over at Gamasutra I've written a big long blog post about my experience doing some design for Windows 8 specific stuff in Fruit Ninja and Jetpack Joyride:

http://gamasutra.com/blogs/RyanLang...opment_Of_Fruit_Ninja_And_Jetpack_Joyride.php

In the article I discuss how we designed the awesome snap view stuff in the game, from mockups to the final version, like this:

snapviewmockups.png

As well as designing up the different tiles that appear in the game.

Give it a look, I enjoy writing stuff like this from behind the scenes, would love to do more :)

Behind the scenes stuff is awesome Rlan, hope some places hit you up for more information!

It would be a fairer use of money to the people he misled, but no I don't think he should do that.

He didn't mislead people on the use of the money though. He has also been upfront about his drug use for a number of years now, although that doesn't make his recent binge an okay thing.

Those people donated money to his mother, not to Amirox. He blew through his life savings before asking for donations a while back, along with all the other reasons that were stated in that thread a year or so ago.

I agree that taking $50 a week out of his pay last month to spend on drugs this week was a terrible use of money but can't see why people would link it to the donations unless they think he is a liar. In which case why did they donate in the first place? It isn't like Amirox pretends to be a nice guy on NeoGAF or hold back his opinion.

midonnay

but can't see why people would link it to the donations unless they think he is a liar. .

it was a successful troll by OA (no matter how justified it was....but I don't know amirox so not making any judgements)

Should Enigma be unbanned? /topictitle

After his thread trolling Amir0x and the rest of the gaffots I'd say he deserves an unbanning.

He's done his stint at NEOOA.

Enigma is what OA is.

I'm curious what evilore thinks, I heard he donated a grand.
He's made two posts I think:
Situation is uncomfortable. It was common knowledge that Ami has done a lot of drugs recreationally, and I accepted that and accepted the explanation that the money was going directly to Ami's mom in her name and that she had legitimate problems and so it wouldn't be relevant. That still appears to be the case.

All the same, asking for donations comes with strings. It always does. You're going to come under scrutiny and people are going to demand transparency, and, well, that's fair. A lot of people had very little to give, and were just moved by the pure sentiment of helping out Ami's mom when she was in need. "Woo drug binge time now that these donations have taken a financial burden off me" is a pretty big slap in the face to those sentiments, no matter the context.

Drugs are bad.
fD8AR.jpg

Over at Gamasutra I've written a big long blog post about my experience doing some design for Windows 8 specific stuff in Fruit Ninja and Jetpack Joyride
That was a fun read, especially with the 'failed' mockups that you guys tried. Always nice to read about things that didn't work and why they didn't work. Did you guys try having the games remain fully playable in the 1:4 view?

Choc

Banned
There's not the slightest chance of any game taking the throne from Journey for GOTY. Not even Walking Dead has a shot for number 1 at this stage, considering some of its flaws have become a little more tangible. And you know what? Hotline Miami is damn fucking close to being in my top 5. I think it suffered from too many pacing issues, unfortunately, but it's still one hell of an experience.

actually yeah journey is really fucking good

I know, just thought I'd mention it :)

One aspect that (IMHO) doesn't get played up as much as it should – in the discussion in general I mean, not in your article – is the fact that having the same system in place across all of the media makes it easier for parents. You know that any argument against having R18+ for games is going to talk about parents and children, so pointing out the fact that having consistency across movies and games classifications removes confusion for parents (by making it easier for parents to understand the system and content) seems like a no-brainer.

If you paint R18+ for games as a pro-parent development (rather than just a pro-gamer development) then it seems like mainstream acceptance is pretty much a given.

Totally. Everyone I talked to thought it was a sensible move. Even the people who were saying games are too violent thought it was a good idea to keep it out of kid's hands. And almost everyone was shocked the system wasn't the same across the board.

midonnay

I find it hard to argue with this..... :p

Any sport that limits you to using your feet, with the occasional bang of the head, has something very wrong with it. Indeed, soccer is a liberal's dream of tragedy: It creates an egalitarian playing field by rigorously enforcing a uniform disability.

Over at Gamasutra I've written a big long blog post about my experience doing some design for Windows 8 specific stuff in Fruit Ninja and Jetpack Joyride:

snip

A great read, Rlan. Out of interest, since I remember your title being "level designer" at Halfbrick, how do you design levels around randomised gameplay like in Fruit Ninja and Jetpack Joyride? I haven't played Monster Dash yet but it looks similar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom