• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 7 - We hang out IRL now and be social and shit. (Also, Adrian's Revenge)

Status
Not open for further replies.

midonnay

So why can't you throw a ball in AFL then?

Or throw the ball fwd in rugby?

Or kick a ball in hockey?

Or... etc etc.

As soon as you write down a rule you are enforcing a 'disability' by disallowing something.

Don't take it too seriously....

the opinion pages of the WSJ is more akin to Fox news than serious journalism.

eg: the anti-science schtick

Omikron

Don't take it too seriously....

the opinion pages of the WSJ is more akin to Fox news than serious journalism.

eg: the anti-science schtick

Oh I don't take it seriously, I was in fact laughing at the article, but you seemed to say you were agreeing with the mentioned section.

Sounded like you tried to start a discussion at the very least. Or just trolling?

Became obvious he has a drug problem, he seems to have taken notice of that fact now and will hopefully do something about it.
I know that a lot of people repeat the adage of "admitting you have a problem is the first step to recovery" but it really doesn't mean anything. I've found that people admitting to a problem is only the first step to everyone living with the problem out in the open but pretending that there has been a forward momentum towards rehabilitation. But everyone just sort of lives with the knowledge, all the while the shame of the addiction being out in the open lessens over time and the addiction worsens.

As much as I hope that a bunch of people writing words on the internet will get someone to give up an addiction when important factors in his own life couldn't seems like wishful thinking.

I'm talking from my own experience with people I know that have gone through addiction, so what I've seen may not be the case for everyone. All I know, and have witness first hand, is that addiction will rip through so many real world reasons to stop, whether it be their family falling apart because of it, the birth of a child or the ever-descending spiral that their life has fallen into where they are stealing from loved ones and friends. Amir0x knew that money would help his mom, his dad, or even go towards the life he's planning on having with his future wife... but that didn't matter. None of it matters.

Words on the internet won't do much, is my fear. I hope they do; my experience sadly does not support this as a likely outcome. My heart truly goes out to his Mum and Dad; they are going through so much and really don't need the added complications in their life. Not right now.

Hey Guys,

Football Manager 2013 has been released.

Yours truly,
Omikron.
Farewell.

Shaneus

Hey Guys,

Yours truly,
Omikron.
While trawling for abandonware last night, I came across Football Manager 1 and 3. Possibly 2 as well. I thought of you.

<3

Link! Don't be a HolyCheck.
Yes! My ranting has caused for a term to enter public vernacular! Woo!

Are you guys going to link to the damn thread or what
You have been one of the offenders... I think.

Anyway, now you all know what it's like. Suck it.

PS. I have a drug problem. They make me normal, damnit!

An addict will always be an addict. You can't get rid of that, only diminish its draw on you.

Even the wife still pines for a smoke every now and then despite being clean for nearly 3 years. I doubt that will ever go away fully.

Just glad something positive came out of that thread. At the very least people on NeoGAF will hassle him about rehab in the future.

EDIT: Also I have my drinking under control I promise! I didn't even drink anything on my birthday the other day!

Rlan

That was a fun read, especially with the 'failed' mockups that you guys tried. Always nice to read about things that didn't work and why they didn't work. Did you guys try having the games remain fully playable in the 1:4 view?

Nah, when people go into this mode I sort of assume people want to "pause" it in some respects. It could theoretically work, but it wouldn't be very fun :)

If we made a game like Cut The Rope though, which is level based, I'd love to make an extra couple of levels that are specific to that small area. Would be a fun secret to find :p

A great read, Rlan. Out of interest, since I remember your title being "level designer" at Halfbrick, how do you design levels around randomised gameplay like in Fruit Ninja and Jetpack Joyride? I haven't played Monster Dash yet but it looks similar.

We're basically just "designers" now. Each team only has one or two designers. For games like De Blob 2 on DS we had level designers because we had teams large enough for that sort of thing.

If we make level based games, all those in the team would make levels if they wanted to. Previously we used to have "wandering" designers, who would go to a different team depending on if levels needed to be made. We're less and less about that now though.

I did all the levels for Age of Zombies and general design stuff as well :)

Shaneus

I hope to read that article when I get home (ie. away from restrictive internet), Rlan. I actually need to spend more time on Gamasutra in general, a lot of that industry stuff I find incredibly fascinating for some reason.

Choc

Banned
I hate having to wait until the 16th to play it ><

United States PSN

edit: So having a sport where people suicide 20 years after they retire, have brain injuries and problems with their brains after they retire and the NFL has to pay their pensions until they die because of the damage they incur during playing is BETTER than soccer?

FUCK ME DRUNK

Shaneus

edit: So having a sport where people suicide 20 years after they retire, have brain injuries and problems with their brains after they retire and the NFL has to pay their pensions until they die because of the damage they incur during playing is BETTER than soccer?

FUCK ME DRUNK
What's that from?

An addict will always be an addict. You can't get rid of that, only diminish its draw on you.

Even the wife still pines for a smoke every now and then despite being clean for nearly 3 years. I doubt that will ever go away fully.

Just glad something positive came out of that thread. At the very least people on NeoGAF will hassle him about rehab in the future.

EDIT: Also I have my drinking under control I promise! I didn't even drink anything on my birthday the other day!
My parents smoked when they were younger and gave it in their very early 20s when they started having kids. Now in his late 60s, Dad says that every once in a while he'll smell someone smoking and think about having one. I've been an on and off smoker for a long while. It's a horrible habit and I love it hate it love it hate it love it hate it. I know it's a mental addiction only, as I can not have a cigarette for months and then suddenly a switched is flicked in my brain and it's all I can think about for hours. It's fucked up. I can't even begin to imagine what it's like when you're dealing with opiates or amphetamines.

Having said that, I think it's sometimes worse if the addiction is to legal drugs; their availability and social integration makes it hard to get away from them. Giving up crack? Don't go near crack dealers. Giving up alcohol? Don't go... anywhere? The fact is that someone can't get away with shooting up in public, which lessens the opportunities to give in to the addiction but no one will bat an eyelid at someone having a drink. That's hard to get away from and means you have to be constantly battling the temptation.

I hope you are doing well, rep. I really do. You have a fantastic family; far too much to give up for alcohol.

fapp

fapp

FAPP!!

IT FINALLY ARRIVED!!!

TCEHjh.jpg

it's so beautiful...

GT2eL.png

Jintor

The thing I love and hate about the internet, and social media in general, is that it can give me a glimpse into other people's lives; what they chose to share about themselves, at least, whether it's appropriate or not. And you get this sense that there's this whole wealth of human experiences out there in so many different areas, all of them strange, unknowable in the full immensity of it, but you can get a glimpse, nonetheless. And it's... like a way of learning from other people's experiences, or trying to, at least. (It also tends to depress the shit out of me sometimes)

I don't smoke cigarettes, but I did use one of those weird water smoke things to do something with tabacco at one point.

You mean a Shisha Jintor? Kinda like a cool bong :/ (one of the Pakistani guys at uni had one on Residence and we had fun with it, rarely with weed though)

My parents smoked when they were younger and gave it in their very early 20s when they started having kids. Now in his late 60s, Dad says that every once in a while he'll smell someone smoking and think about having one. I've been an on and off smoker for a long while. It's a horrible habit and I love it hate it love it hate it love it hate it. I know it's a mental addiction only, as I can not have a cigarette for months and then suddenly a switched is flicked in my brain and it's all I can think about for hours. It's fucked up. I can't even begin to imagine what it's like when you're dealing with opiates or amphetamines.

Having said that, I think it's sometimes worse if the addiction is to legal drugs; their availability and social integration makes it hard to get away from them. Giving up crack? Don't go near crack dealers. Giving up alcohol? Don't go... anywhere? The fact is that someone can't get away with shooting up in public, which lessens the opportunities to give in to the addiction but no one will bat an eyelid at someone having a drink. That's hard to get away from and means you have to be constantly battling the temptation.

I hope you are doing well, rep. I really do. You have a fantastic family; far too much to give up for alcohol.
Yeah both my parents were heavy smokers before I was born. They agreed to quit when my Mum got pregnant. Dad never did though, still a pack a day smoker. Which is why I have always hated them.

Addiction is a trait of who we are, sometimes it is a huge benefit to us but other times it can tear us apart. Some people can control it and negate it pretty well but for others it means they are at risk their whole life of becoming dependant on stuff that isn't good for them, even something as simple as food or crosswords. A friend of mine is really bad like that, his life has remained stagnant for a time because he finds it hard to avoid shooting off into something too wholeheartedly.

Also I don't have enough free time to be an alcoholic any more! Worked out quite nicely like that. Lucky I'm not self employed.

Another poll

Have you smoked a cigarette before? No

Yes, usually when drunk and depressed not because I wanted to do something nice for myself. Taste and smell awful.

Have you smoked a cigarette before? Yes.

Never been a smoker though. I was doing it a bit when drinking socially at one stage (during uni so drinking was fairly constant) I even bought a packet once, tried smoking sober and hated it. Never wanted to since.

Choc

Banned
I have smoked one cig in my entire life and it scared the crap out of me. why?

because for the next 2 weeks i had very slight cravings for another one. Never touched em since.

Rezbit

Hey Guys,

Yours truly,
Omikron.

Goodnight, sweet prince; and flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

Yes for me, a couple of times. One of the lucky ones who finds it absolutely disgusting. Like the taste is just foul. I tried it once to be cool when young (and hated it) then tried it when I was older to see why it was such a big deal. Still found it just as disgusting. I don't know whether it's because in the back of my mind I know I've had family members die of smoking related illness, or if it really does just taste like arse to everyone and I'm just missing something.

or if it really does just taste like arse to everyone and I'm just missing something.
No, it realy does taste like arse. What you are missing out on, however, is the addiction. Once you have that, and get accustomed to the arse taste, it all becomes academic.

I would challenge any smoker to say that they enjoy the taste. If one were to, I would rebut that their opinion is purely justification for the addiction.

Kritz

Banned
Another poll

Have you smoked a cigarette before? No

Cigarettes? Never.
Cigars? A few times.

Cigars always flare up my asthma for nearly an entire week afterwards, though.
I've also -never- had cravings for them after smoking. I don't even know if cigars are addictive. They probably are.

My parents smoked when they were younger and gave it in their very early 20s when they started having kids. Now in his late 60s, Dad says that every once in a while he'll smell someone smoking and think about having one.
My dad quit about 20 years ago and occasionally says the same thing.

Cigars are much nicer than cigarettes, but I find the big ones are too much for me in one sitting. On average I smoke cigars less than once a year, and cigarettes virtually never.

Fredescu

Cigars are much nicer than cigarettes, but I find the big ones are too much for me in one sitting. On average I smoke cigars less than once a year, and cigarettes virtually never.
You're not meant to suck cigar smoke straight into your lungs though, you're meant to take in the flavour of the smoke in your mouth and then let it out without a full inhale and drink something and let the tastes mingle etc. They're better flavour wise I guess because that's what they designed for, but if you tried to smoke a cigar like a cigarette you'd find they're a lot harsher.

Choc

Banned
As an interesting aside i am on a sugar free diet right now and feel bloody amazing

lost 2KG in 7 days and don't feel bloated at all. Haven't really stopped eating in terms of size, just stopped eating stuff with sugar in it (which admittedly is a LOT of food, crazy)

I went through crazy withdrawal earlier this week, massive headaches, ridiculous insomnia (slept 1 hr on Tuesday night because i was like the fkn energizer bunny), lethargic and irritable but now i am past that, its amazing.

You're not meant to suck cigar smoke straight into your lungs though, you're meant to take in the flavour of the smoke in your mouth and then let it out without a full inhale and drink something and let the tastes mingle etc. They're better flavour wise I guess because that's what they designed for, but if you tried to smoke a cigar like a cigarette you'd find they're a lot harsher.
This I did not know... I always assumed they were meant to be smoked the same way! They are certainly much nicer tasting, but yeah you'll feel sick if you inhale too much of it...

It's pretty easy, I am brewing "all grain" (e.g. only using crushed grains, hops and water -- not any of those tins of goop) using the "brew in a bag" method (basically you infuse a giant teabag of grains instead of going through three stages, so it's a lot easier and faster).

Takes me about 4 hours from setup to finishing cleanup to brew 10-12L batches (which gets about a slab worth). Fermenting then takes a few weeks depending on the beer but doesn't require much interaction other than making sure it's at the right temperature. Priming (adding sugar to force carbonation, since I'm not kegging) and bottling takes another couple of hours from start to finish. Definitely the worst part of the whole process.

The weissbier I made most recently cost about $35 and I got 13 longnecks out of it. And here it is:
IMG_20121101_183103.jpg

Brew some cider and I will buy it off you. :p

As an interesting aside i am on a sugar free diet right now and feel bloody amazing

lost 2KG in 7 days and don't feel bloated at all. Haven't really stopped eating in terms of size, just stopped eating stuff with sugar in it (which admittedly is a LOT of food, crazy)

I went through crazy withdrawal earlier this week, massive headaches, ridiculous insomnia (slept 1 hr on Tuesday night because i was like the fkn energizer bunny), lethargic and irritable but now i am past that, its amazing.

I've really got to do this. My mum has been raving about it for months (which of course made me immediately disagree with it), so I've been cutting sugar slowly. But holy shit it's in fucking everything. If you don't make food from bare bones (and who can be fucked doing that every meal) you're almost guaranteed to be eating a shit tonne.

Did you cut fruit too dude? That seems to be the strangest part of the diet.

Choc

Banned
I've really got to do this. My mum has been raving about it for months (which of course made me immediately disagree with it), so I've been cutting sugar slowly. But holy shit it's in fucking everything. If you don't make food from bare bones (and who can be fucked doing that every meal) you're almost guaranteed to be eating a shit tonne.

Did you cut fruit too dude? That seems to be the strangest part of the diet.

Nah not fruit. It's the one thing i haven't cut yet but i only eat it when i feel like i really need to.

Natural sugar (as in that in fruit) is not as bad. But also even just eating fruit drastically reduces your sugar intake significantly.

Fruit is your crutch food on this diet. You really crave a chocolate bar? have a orange just to get that ever so slight hit.

Then you phase that out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom