• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 7 - We hang out IRL now and be social and shit. (Also, Adrian's Revenge)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brew some cider and I will buy it off you. :p
I haven't brewed cider before (though have made non-alcoholic ginger ale, which is incredibly easy, takes about 15 minutes - I bet you could make it alcoholic easily enough if you wanted).

It seems pretty easy though -- juice some apples, pasteurise them (not necessary though recommended), pour into a sanitised fermenter with yeast (a dry yeast like champagne yeast would be best) and leave for a couple of weeks somewhere warm. If you wanted to start from scratch you could probably do your first batch for under $100 (including equipment and supplies).

http://www.instructables.com/id/Home-Brew-Hard-Cider-from-Scratch/

Choc

Banned
also ive been doing research on this and these two statements are crazy

US doctors say the following

1. Sugar is more addictive than cocaine

2. The withdrawal symptoms are 10x worse than cocaine for 2-3 days

I haven't brewed cider before (though have made non-alcoholic ginger ale, which is incredibly easy, takes about 15 minutes - I bet you could make it alcoholic easily enough if you wanted).

It seems pretty easy though -- juice some apples, pasteurise them (not necessary though recommended), pour into a sanitised fermenter with yeast (a dry yeast like champagne yeast would be best) and leave for a couple of weeks somewhere warm. If you wanted to start from scratch you could probably do your first batch for under $100 (including equipment and supplies).

http://www.instructables.com/id/Home-Brew-Hard-Cider-from-Scratch/

Haha thanks but don't think I can manage all this, I don't even drink a lot in the first place.

Some people prefer the S3 due to a few things missing in the Nexus 4 though. I will be grabbing a Nexus 4 for myself or the wife though :)

Same here, though I'll be away when it releases. Hope they don't run out of stock.

It's true. I've been more or less on a sugar free diet since january. The only sugar I indulged in was 70% dark cholocate, maybe once or twice a month. But my metabolism is no good as it takes a very long time for me to shed weight. I've been a vegetarian for almost 11 months now and barely lost 4 kgs since then.

Haha thanks but don't think I can manage all this, I don't even drink a lot in the first place.
Truly, it's not a lot of effort. Making cider seems even easier than beer. Looks like all you need to do is get hold of fresh apple juice (there's plenty of orchards around, so maybe one will sell you a few litres they've already juiced?), chuck it in a sanitised fermenter with yeast and keep it warm for a few weeks.

If you can get some apples and have a juicer, buy the apples and juice them. If you want to pasteurise it, then (almost) boil the apple juice first for about an hour. The great thing about home brewing is that as long as you turn up and put in the effort you'll end up with drinkable results. They may not be to an ultra high commercial standard, but you have to have a lot of things go wrong to have something undrinkable.

Alternatively you could start with a kit to see what it's like.

Never tried cigarettes, they seem kinda gross. I'm kinda curious to try those flavoured ones they make in Japan, but not curious enough to risk getting addicted. Lol.

I've really got to do this. My mum has been raving about it for months (which of course made me immediately disagree with it), so I've been cutting sugar slowly. But holy shit it's in fucking everything. If you don't make food from bare bones (and who can be fucked doing that every meal) you're almost guaranteed to be eating a shit tonne.

Did you cut fruit too dude? That seems to be the strangest part of the diet.
So what kind of foods can you eat? It really is in pretty much everything. I guess I'd probably just eat a lot of rice, since I imagine bread, pasta and most other staples are sugar filled.

Choc

Banned
Never tried cigarettes, they seem kinda gross. I'm kinda curious to try those flavoured ones they make in Japan, but not curious enough to risk getting addicted. Lol.

So what kind of foods can you eat? It really is in pretty much everything. I guess I'd probably just eat a lot of rice, since I imagine bread, pasta and most other staples are sugar filled.

wholegrain bread does not have sugar, eggs do not, meat does not, steak does not chicken does not fish does not

see the trend? if its not processed its sugar free generally (or not full of bad white sugar anyway)

Rlan

Also came back from Adelaide after a week off. Brought these into our office to add to our "game room"

psone.jpg

senahorse

No, it realy does taste like arse. What you are missing out on, however, is the addiction. Once you have that, and get accustomed to the arse taste, it all becomes academic.

I would challenge any smoker to say that they enjoy the taste. If one were to, I would rebut that their opinion is purely justification for the addiction.

I used to be a smoker (quit about 8 years ago), and I loved the taste of it just as much as the way it made me feel. There is a reason there is different brands/flavours of tobacco like some of my then favourites, Dr Pat, Peter Stuyvesant reds etc

When I started it tasted like crap (stupid kid and kept at it) and now when I smell it I nearly wretch oh and when I was addicted I HATED the taste when I had a cold. So you can try and rebut what I say but I don't have the addiction anymore ;)

Rezbit

Man, I literally could not do a sugar free diet. The idea of never having something like chocolate again is just heartbreaking.

Like these people who do raw food or cave man diet. Fuck that shit!

Jintor

God, i'm still battling to cut soft drink entirely out. :/

If I had to toss fruit out as well I might as well off myself right now

Whelp, I will be buying a bottle of scotch tonight :/

The mention of termites really should create a sense of urgency you would expect! Surrounded by idiots! Feels like I run a damn day care!

senahorse

Catching up on stuff

An addict will always be an addict. You can't get rid of that, only diminish its draw on you.

Even the wife still pines for a smoke every now and then despite being clean for nearly 3 years. I doubt that will ever go away fully.

Sorry dude but that's bullshit.

Addiction is something that is different between each and every one of us, hence the phrase "addictive personality". For me, it's not that bad, sure I was addicted to smoking but one day I just quit cold turkey after doing it for around 10 years, I haven't craved a cigarette for probably 7 years and never will again. I have also been involved in many things much worse than tobacco (which I am not stupid enough to talk about on here) and do any of those linger for me? The answer, a resounding no. Meanwhile I have seen a few old friends die from addictions (suicide, stupidity, OD), one as recent as last year (heroin overdose).

Choc

Banned
Catching up on stuff

Sorry dude but that's bullshit.

Addiction is something that is different between each and every one of us, hence the phrase "addictive personality". For me, it's not that bad, sure I was addicted to smoking but one day I just quit cold turkey after doing it for around 10 years, I haven't craved a cigarette for probably 7 years and never will again. I have also been involved in many things much worse than tobacco (which I am not stupid enough to talk about on here) and do any of those linger for me? The answer, a resounding no. Meanwhile I have seen a few old friends die from addictions (suicide, stupidity, OD), one as recent as last year (heroin overdose).

you were on TV with mr doobee like me?

[citation needed]

There is a lot of pseudoscience, conspiracy theories and misinformation out there when it comes to nutrition, the benefits of vegetarianism and locavorism. Food is the left leaning person's version of the Illuminati.

Also, question a hipster or hippie's dietary choices and you get the same reaction a religious person might give if you tried to convince the that God is not real.

I'm not saying sugar isn't bad for you. I'm saying check your sources.

Shaneus

It's better to buy the N4 for $349 when it releases on the 13th :p
*Probably* what I'll be doing. My iPad 3 shouldn't be too far off, then I'll be away from the obligation of having an Apple device as my phone :)

Addiction is a trait of who we are, sometimes it is a huge benefit to us but other times it can tear us apart. Some people can control it and negate it pretty well but for others it means they are at risk their whole life of becoming dependant on stuff that isn't good for them, even something as simple as food or crosswords. A friend of mine is really bad like that, his life has remained stagnant for a time because he finds it hard to avoid shooting off into something too wholeheartedly.
Really (not necessarily bad, but frequently) addictive habits like that can sometimes be a sign of ADHD. Given that there's always a state of environmental (and emotional, more often than not) hyper-awareness, finding the one thing that is a constant can be used as an anchor to help stabilise yourself (aka reduce/eliminate as much other stimuli as possible). I find that with music, but others find it with drinking, smoking (which actually has a pretty high abuse rate amongst ADHDers), eating... just generally compulsive behaviour (buying games, playing games, not playing games :/). Some are better/more socially acceptable/less self-damaging, others are not.

You can get Google Play refunds for the first 15 minutes or hour or something, so if you received an email about the purchase you could potentially reverse it if you were quick enough.

Not sure what the rules are on reversing the transactions.

And a few other channels ;)

Redtube?

It's pretty easy, I am brewing "all grain" (e.g. only using crushed grains, hops and water -- not any of those tins of goop) using the "brew in a bag" method (basically you infuse a giant teabag of grains instead of going through three stages, so it's a lot easier and faster).

Takes me about 4 hours from setup to finishing cleanup to brew 10-12L batches (which gets about a slab worth). Fermenting then takes a few weeks depending on the beer but doesn't require much interaction other than making sure it's at the right temperature. Priming (adding sugar to force carbonation, since I'm not kegging) and bottling takes another couple of hours from start to finish. Definitely the worst part of the whole process.

The weissbier I made most recently cost about $35 and I got 13 longnecks out of it. And here it is:
IMG_20121101_183103.jpg

Im sure its easy enough, just the amount of time it takes is off putting. That and when I can get a carton for $40-50 of something decent I just can't justify it.

Paintball gaffers,

Going for the first time with a group on sunday. Any tips?

Will be doing a starter pack of 200 ammo and 2 hour session as it's a first time for everyone in the group.

Bring a hat and wear it backwards. Paintball to the neck hurts a lot. Are they giving you camo?
Also find a larger friend to hide behind, that's what saved me :p
God, i'm still battling to cut soft drink entirely out. :/

If I had to toss fruit out as well I might as well off myself right now
Try drinking green tea instead. At least it doesn't have sugar and you're still getting a nice taste. You can even add fruit to it when you make iced tea! that's what I've been trying to do. I don't often have soft drink at home but I'll always be drinking juice, tea or milk instead of water.
[citation needed]
There is a lot of pseudoscience, conspiracy theories and misinformation out there when it comes to nutrition, the benefits of vegetarianism and locavorism. Food is the left leaning person's version of the Illuminati.

Also, question a hipster or hippie's dietary choices and you get the same reaction a religious person might give if you tried to convince the that God is not real.

I'm not saying sugar isn't bad for you. I'm saying check your sources.
Lol, this is too true:( try telling my grandmother raw fruit and veg alone isn't balanced or healthy at all and she just won't listen. Even sadder is seeing a girl at my uni try and fight her disease with veganism alone.

Choc

Banned
Man, I literally could not do a sugar free diet. The idea of never having something like chocolate again is just heartbreaking.

Like these people who do raw food or cave man diet. Fuck that shit!

ever since i stopped eating sugar, a lot of things start to taste a lot nicer than they used to.

Gazunta

Steve Jobs tried to fight disease with veganism, and look how that turned out.

My only advice with Paintball is to shoot your boss while he isn't looking and then act like you're taking fire from somewhere else.

Ningo

Paintball gaffers,

Going for the first time with a group on sunday. Any tips?

Will be doing a starter pack of 200 ammo and 2 hour session as it's a first time for everyone in the group.

Try and get a pump action paintball gun, otherwise those 200 will go very quickly.

Hope it's not cold so your mask doesn't fog up.

Make sure you actually have paint on you before you raise your gun in air when hit. First game I ever played I got hit in the hand and held up my gun, but the paintball had just bounced off my hand so I would've been still in.

Meatshields are a good idea.

Im sure its easy enough, just the amount of time it takes is off putting. That and when I can get a carton for $40-50 of something decent I just can't justify it.
Eh, your call. You could buy a pre-built off-the-shelf PC for only a couple of hundred bucks or build one yourself for much more. You could buy McDonald's for only a few dollars or grind your own meat for your burger.

If you're happy with slabs of cheap beer then making better quality beer yourself is probably not going to be worth it to you.

Kritz

Banned
Did you really think Journey was that powerful? Early on I probably would've agreed with you, but closer to the end all I was doing was pushing forward on the thumbstick. I wrote more but decided just to go with this.

I absolutely believe in Journey. From the beginning to the end, I was wrapped entirely in the experience. Instead of cynicism and analysing the design, for the majority of the time, I was instead just so engaged in the world. There were moments where I stopped and noticed some quirk; Playstation Network has a habit of disconnecting my console. But the progression of the adventure, even towards the end, where I'd suppose it wasn't entirely active in its engagement, was something where I was just glued to my monitor waiting to see what happened next. The slower pacing worked for me, and the payoff was exactly what was needed to conclude Journey.

This year, I've started reconsidering how I think of games as entertainment. With Journey, DayZ, Walking Dead, Hotline Miami and others, I'm trying to work out where the player fits into the game. How the player might not be directly connected to the game, but is instead just watching the game unfold. Or conversely, how a player can be the only thing allowing a game to have meaning at all. It's something I don't think I can articulate at the moment.

So, to conclude, I'm in full support of Journey. I am not sure if I will replay the game to cement or alter my opinions. Probably won't.

2012's been a weird year for games.

I absolutely believe in Journey. From the beginning to the end, I was wrapped entirely in the experience. Instead of cynicism and analysing the design, for the majority of the time, I was instead just so engaged in the world.
Unfortunately I somehow managed to get stuck (not lost, I got trapped inside the world) part way through which is likely responsible for pulling me out of the experience. Until then, I was definitely caught in its grip, so I can certainly understand why others feel that way.

Jintor

Journey didn't quite do that for me, but it came pretty close.

I think the main thing was that I didn't particularly feel like I was... and this seems like a really dumb, gamer thing to say... but I didn't feel like I was actually doing that much besides wandering around and looking fuckawesome. I didn't go glyph searching though, so that was probably part of it.

Goddamn the snow though. Goddamn.

Kritz

Banned
I think I'm a lot more accepting for not having a direct influence in a game. I don't feel like I as a player have any entitlement* to have complete (illusion) of control in a game. Partly why I've favoured using the word 'experience' in place of 'video game' for a lot of things. There's probably a decent discussion to be had about agency, the illusion of control, games as a journey** not as a challenge, and a bunch of other pretentious bullshit.

* Forgive me on the use of the word, but I believe it appropriate even though the internet may have turned it into a hateful little attack against others with different opinions.
** poop in my butt coming out of my butt onto the floor

jambo

That doesn't even make sense! >:|

I did something similar the year after high school and I noticed that effect.

I gave up chocolate and sugary things for a few months and started appreciating other foods a lot more. The first chocolate bar I had after that period tasted so strong that I felt a little sick.

Rezbit

Maybe you just eat better, natural food instead of as much shit, therefore you eat higher quality stuff. I enjoy delicious natural food too. I also enjoy the fuck out of chocolate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom