• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 7 - We hang out IRL now and be social and shit. (Also, Adrian's Revenge)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clipper

Virtue's Last Reward is bloody amazing. I won't spoil any of it, and I have to wonder how they could ever top this in the next game, but I enjoyed almost every moment of the game.

The improvements to the flow of the game over 999 are all perfectly implemented. I did predict some of the major twists, but even getting confirmation on those were extraordinary.

I experienced one crashing bug which caused me to replay a large chunk of the game and some weird formatting errors on some screens of text that I can't figure out how they passed testing (at least in the 3DS version), but those are so minor to not warrant any real complaint.

To those enjoying 999 now, you have some great stuff to look forward to!

And now for something completely different... SydGAF, jambo's meetup is this Sunday. Here are the details so far:

Date: Sunday, November 11th, 2012
Time: 6:30PM
Place: TBD (probably today)
Attendees: Clipper, jambo, Rahk, Yug

Beforehand, I'm going to be at a board gaming thing in the city near Market City. Hence, I actually have a preference to meet at Market City or World Square (both are easily accessible by train or bus and I can provide directions to those who need it, like jambo). For food, we can either head over to Grill'd World Square like the latest BrisGAF meetup, or there's plenty of ramen, Chinese and other restaurants that could work too. We can then find a bar (although I'm unsure of good ones in the area) for drinks and further chatting.

How does this sound? Is anybody else interested in coming? We should try to confirm the details soon if we can.

Edit: Oh, and if anyone else wants to head to the board gaming thing too, it starts at 2:30 and costs $10, which includes a drink. I can provide further details if necessary.

Fusebox

Banned
Gotten stuck into The Walking Dead game. It's pretty damn excellent. Shows how important it is for a game like this to have strong characters and writing.

Is the TV series itself any good?

The TV series is just okaaay but the comic series is brilliant. Dodge the TV series and get into the comics instead I reckon.

Fusebox

Banned
They'd be huge! I've got the hardcover books 1-7, waiting for book 8 to come out.

Edit: Oh shit just realised book 8 is already out, ordering it now...

teekun

The TV series is just okaaay but the comic series is brilliant. Dodge the TV series and get into the comics instead I reckon.

Calling the comics brilliant is a bit much. They're good, and have some excellent parts, but the art is godawful and the plot gets so goddamn repetitive after a while. It's just an endless cycle of the survivors getting comfortable, things being boring for a few issues, and then something horrible happening. Rinse, repeat.

Fusebox

Banned
I love the art, it suits the vibe perfectly imo, you're the first person I've heard who doesn't like it.

1ab45a7790fbcc3c75f6546b42491a50.gif

Shaneus

So, I've bought Lego Batman 2: Somethingorother on PC. It's on sale on Amazon, either in a pack w/ the HP games for $14, or by itself for $7.50.

I'm looking more than a little forward to it, actually!

teekun

I love the art, it suits the vibe perfectly imo, you're the first person I've heard who doesn't like it.

1ab45a7790fbcc3c75f6546b42491a50.gif

I think my opinion is skewed because I started reading with the first issue and Cliff Rathburn is a huge step down from Cory Walker. Rathburn has gotten better over time, but for his first few dozen issues, half the characters were indistinguishable from one another. Cory Walker's art was crisp and detailed, and the way he drew gore was horrifying.

Omikron

They'd be huge! I've got the hardcover books 1-7, waiting for book 8 to come out.

Edit: Oh shit just realised book 8 is already out, ordering it now...

Yeah, I have the first one and its certainly heavy!

Gotta pick up that second one, might see if the wife will get it for my birthday :p

Fusebox

Banned
I think my opinion is skewed because I started reading with the first issue and Cliff Rathburn is a huge step down from Cory Walker. Rathburn has gotten better over time, but for his first few dozen issues, half the characters were indistinguishable from one another. Cory Walker's art was crisp and detailed, and the way he drew gore was horrifying.

Fair enough.

Assassins Creed 3 is one of the poorest games of 2012 imo

It's easily the buggiest game with the jankiest story I've played in a long time.

teekun

Ooops it was Tony Moore who drew the first 6 issues not Cory Walker. Walker was the original Invincible artist. And Rathburn only does the "coloring" It's Charlie Adlard who does the art. Damn, my memory is shit today.

Anyways, just not a fan of Adlard's stuff. I liked it when I was enjoying the story enough to get past it, but I stopped reading in the early 90's because it just wasn't doing it for me anymore.

Shaneus

Assassins Creed 3 is one of the poorest games of 2012 imo
It's easily the buggiest game with the jankiest story I've played in a long time.
Watch it get fucking incredible reviews. Then you'll know how I feel about F1 2012 and it's reception. In case you didn't know, in a little over a month since it's release, F1 2012 received ELEVEN patches. And most would say it still isn't right.

ubi cycle
I'll admit... I chuckled.

Choc

Banned
Watch it get fucking incredible reviews. Then you'll know how I feel about F1 2012 and it's reception. In case you didn't know, in a little over a month since it's release, F1 2012 received ELEVEN patches. And most would say it still isn't right.

I'll admit... I chuckled.

one of those patches was 7.5gb :|

Choc

Banned
loooooooooooool fred awesome and so true

someone needs to make a comic about how the pitch in sydney buses is 1000x worse than a jetstar plane

honestly knees against seat, bus slams brakes, cracked knee caps all the time

teekun

Graphic novels.

Depends on what you like, really.

Y: The Last Man is one of my favorite series in the last 10 years, and it's a limited run series with a definitive ending, which is always good. It's long, at something like 60 issues, but a great read. The same author has a new ongoing series called Saga which is off to a great start too.

Criminal is a great series if you dig crime fiction, each volume is its own stand-alone story so you can really pick up any of them and enjoy it. Along the same lines, Darwyn Cooke has done adaptations of a few of Richard Stark's Parker novels which are all brilliant.

If you want some amazingly drawn, but completely bizarre fantasy stuff, try to find the first volume of Orc Stain. Every page of that book is amazing.

I could go on all day haha

Fusebox

Banned
Y: The Last Man is an awesome ride, I love that series.

My other faves are:

Preacher
Transmetropolitan
Locke & Key
Invincible
Irredeemable
The Boys
The Walking Dead
DMZ
Punisher MAX
The Exterminators
Miracleman

I don't reckon you could go wrong with any of those, and of course Watchmen goes without saying these days.

Jintor

I will third Y The Last Man.

it has a lot of things in it. Action sequences. Post-apocolyptic earth without zombies. Lesbians. Sophisticated discussions of gender politics. Crazy geo-political crap. Lesbians. Amazing art. Interesting, funny characters. japanese ninjas. Lesbians. Israeli elite military units fighting americans. A monkey. Lesbians. Did I mention it also has a lot of lesbians.

Gazunta

Graphic novels I adore:

BLANKETS by Craig Thompson. Really well done coming-of-age story set in a small town. Huge book but I ploughed through it in a night and couldn't stop. Gorgeous art especially if you're a fan of well conveyed facial expressions.

Bone by Jeff Smith. You're absolutely crazy if you haven't read this. One of the best adventure comics ever made. Imagine LOTR but with characters that you actually care about. It's now available as one big volume for like $50. Telltale did two neat point and click games about it before WB bought the movie rights and (I guess?) the game rights.

Cerebus by Dave Sim. There's lots of Cerebus gaphic novels, and they range in quality (especially near the end), but there's no arguing that they're some of the best examples of a master comics craftsman at the top of his game. High Society is now being re-released in digital format, and Dave Sim is even doing the voices in one version. I hope they do Church And State next - it literally does not get better than this.

Echo by Terry Moore - I think WB bought the movie rights to this too, and it's easy to see why - it's a fantastic super hero comic that mixes danger, excitement and crazy science. And holy cow, there is nobody that draws women as well as Terry Moore. I also highly recommend his Strangers In Paradise books, they're amazing if a bit lesbian soap operaish.

teekun

Echo by Terry Moore - I think WB bought the movie rights to this too, and it's easy to see why - it's a fantastic super hero comic that mixes danger, excitement and crazy science. And holy cow, there is nobody that draws women as well as Terry Moore. I also highly recommend his Strangers In Paradise books, they're amazing if a bit lesbian soap operaish.

Terry Moore's new book, Rachael Rising is really good too. I think its his first attempt at horror and it works really well. He's probably the greatest example at the moment of the old-school indie comic creator. Entirely self written, drawn and published, yet still getting fairly wide release.

I liked Strangers In Paradise for the most part, but I hated the way it ended.

Gazunta

I am ashamed to say I haven't finished SiP yet. I want to buy all the collected editions in one go and start over. I have like the first 50 single issues somewhere that I loved to bits.

teekun

I am ashamed to say I haven't finished SiP yet. I want to buy all the collected editions in one go and start over. I have like the first 50 single issues somewhere that I loved to bits.

It's a good thing I didn't explain exactly what I hated about the ending then. I'm amazed you've got the original single issues though, those aren't easy to come by.

Fusebox

Banned
Graphic novels I adore:

BLANKETS by Craig Thompson. Really well done coming-of-age story set in a small town. Huge book but I ploughed through it in a night and couldn't stop. Gorgeous art especially if you're a fan of well conveyed facial expressions.

Bone by Jeff Smith. You're absolutely crazy if you haven't read this. One of the best adventure comics ever made. Imagine LOTR but with characters that you actually care about. It's now available as one big volume for like $50. Telltale did two neat point and click games about it before WB bought the movie rights and (I guess?) the game rights.

Cerebus by Dave Sim. There's lots of Cerebus gaphic novels, and they range in quality (especially near the end), but there's no arguing that they're some of the best examples of a master comics craftsman at the top of his game. High Society is now being re-released in digital format, and Dave Sim is even doing the voices in one version. I hope they do Church And State next - it literally does not get better than this.

The only one of those I've read is Bone which is fantastic so I'm gonna check the rest of your recs out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom