• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 7 - We hang out IRL now and be social and shit. (Also, Adrian's Revenge)

Status
Not open for further replies.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
They have been for ages. There's videos of L4D2 running on Linux and interviews about performance improvements etc. It's no secret.

Its no secret that the current source engine has opengl support, i mean they have mac versions of games so that's been known for years.

My point was, with the confirmation of source 2.0, that there will be no directx libraries inside it. It will only be opengl from the get go.

Choc

Banned
Its no secret that the current source engine has opengl support, i mean they have mac versions of games so that's been known for years.

My point was, with the confirmation of source 2.0, that there will be no directx libraries inside it. It will only be opengl from the get go.

that does make it harder to port to the next xbox then and possibly the PS4

PS4 will be closer to a PC

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
[/B]
that does make it harder to port to the next xbox then and possibly the PS4

PS4 will be closer to a PC

Potentially, But that would only be because of the OS MS is throwing on it.

There's no reason why the hardware inside the 720 can't support openGL and it should. Since it is just standard PC parts.

Fredescu

Yeah, I think your point is an interesting one. I was just pointing out to Choc that he didn't quite get what you were saying.

The fact Microsoft are being shitty about supporting OpenGL pisses me off. Offer extra tools to increase DirectX 10/11/12 productivity and keep the OpenGL stuff barebones. Done. It makes multi-development too fucking hard and leaves it to engine designers to support multiple graphics renders. Plus the game developers would need to write two sets of shaders per shader for GLSL and HLSL.

Deeku

you got it fuckin sweet :D

we need to go to the island togethner. Also let me know if you need help (there is an actual game to it this time)
yep!

and yeah, play online on the weekend or something. those people in the ot seem to have already formed a group and don't seem to want to include newer folks:/

Jintor

Thought process:

"Oh man, Nintendo really seems to be finally getting on the ball with this download stuff. Maybe I should check the eShop to see if-"

$79.95
$79.95
$79.95
$49.95 (Art Academy)

*closes 3DS*

Also, the Nintendo AU site hasn't been updated with the retail level 3DS games available on 3DS.

Stackboy

Seeing Refused tonight. Refused > Radiohead

Enjoy yourself. My best week of live music this year was seeing Refused at Coachella, then days later seeing them in San Fran with The Bronx and The Hives, next night Pulp, next night Gotye (which was the day he went #1 in the billboard 100), the next night Madness. Truly incredible.

markot

Banned
Thought process:

"Oh man, Nintendo really seems to be finally getting on the ball with this download stuff. Maybe I should check the eShop to see if-"

$79.95
$79.95
$79.95
$49.95 (Art Academy)

*closes 3DS*

Also, the Nintendo AU site hasn't been updated with the retail level 3DS games available on 3DS.

LIARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

They are 69.95.

J'ACCUSE

Clipper

Time for a recap post for the two remaining parts of Syd GAF's November triplets:

Holycheck's board games day:
Date: Sunday, November 18th, 2012
Time: 10:00AM
Place: Clipper's place in Randwick. Details available by via PM for attendees.
Attendees: Clipper, Danoss, Holycheck, Jintor, Rahk

shanshan310's dinner/drinks:
Date: Friday, November 23rd, 2012
Time: 6:30PM
Place: TBD. Probably meeting near entrance to Ferry Wharf 6 at Circular Quay. We'll go from there out to The Rocks or something.
Attendees: Choc, Clipper, Danoss, Jintor, Rahk, shanshan310

Shaneus

After having a look at the Nexus 4 and whatever the LG-branded one is, I think I'm going to see what the price is on the latter. Option of more storage (32gb I think it was?) and LTE. Everything that the Nexus is missing, basically. But at what cost?*

*rhetorical

After having a look at the Nexus 4 and whatever the LG-branded one is, I think I'm going to see what the price is on the latter. Option of more storage (32gb I think it was?) and LTE. Everything that the Nexus is missing, basically. But at what cost?*

*rhetorical

How much space have you used on your current phone?
Do you find yourself annoyed at how slow mobile internet loads?
Are you happy to pay $700+ rather than $300+ outright?
Do you have Android or Win8 phone apps already purchased?

Fredescu

Don't get the non-Nexus device unless you enjoy bloatware slowing it down and getting OS updates six months after everyone else, if ever.
Bloatware is generally removable. The OS update thing is annoying, but it's not really "after everyone else" since the majority of phones have the problem and just one line of phones that don't. You can always install a newer ROM if you really want.

I have a HTC One XL, but personally I think the 4G SGS3 running a 4.1 rom like Cyanogen would be the best phone you can get at the moment.

markot

Banned
Bloat isnt generally 'that' bad now a days.

Even Vodafone doesnt install all the shit on your phone that they used to, and their app is actually good >.<!

I doubt Telstra will offer me anything of comparable value to the other providers. Until Optus start having issues I see no reason to pay more per month for less value. Would have cost me a LOT more in the long run if I stayed with Telstra for the Galaxy S2 rather than moving to Optus.

Shaneus

Don't get the non-Nexus device unless you enjoy bloatware slowing it down and getting OS updates six months after everyone else, if ever.
Wouldn't you be able to (literally) just get the Google software and install it on there, given that it's identical hardware, save for the LTE/extra storage? I'm not sure how Android works, but to me that makes an awesome amount of sense.

How much space have you used on your current phone?
Do you find yourself annoyed at how slow mobile internet loads?
Are you happy to pay $700+ rather than $300+ outright?
Do you have Android or Win8 phone apps already purchased?
32gb*
Sometimes. But that's Telstra.
Would it really be that much difference? Yeowch.
Nopers. Unless you count the humble bundle games that were Android compatible.

*This is actually the reason I bought the 16gb iPad. I figure that the majority of big apps I use on the iPhone I'll just transfer onto the iPad while the music should safely fit into that margin that I keep on the phone (plus room for the occasional add-on and photos etc.).

TBH I'm a little nervy about jumping in on my first Android device, but from the sounds of it this is the perfect device to do it with. My biggest gripe was how sluggish the UI felt @ 30fps, so with a boost to 60 it should make a hell of a difference.

PS. Awesome deal on Toy Story set. Might have to buy. Any idea if there are any bonuses you don't normally get if you buy individually? Did the third one not come in 3D? Actually, shit. What happened with that Toy Story they were going to release that was essentially just a "HD" version with better rendering and textures etc.?

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Wouldn't you be able to (literally) just get the Google software and install it on there, given that it's identical hardware, save for the LTE/extra storage? I'm not sure how Android works, but to me that makes an awesome amount of sense.

Hardware isn't identical though which is where stuff gets iffy. Since other makers want to optimise and tweak the drivers for their device along with add pointless shit to it.

That's why a lot of people would use a custom rom. Since it's tweaked to a certain point for that specific device along with the junk removed from samsung/htc/whoever.

It's what makes android awesome and what makes it fucking annoying.

senahorse

argh preordering without playing with one is doing my head in

just cant do it

wimp :p

Ordering 2, white for me, red for gf. (annnnnnnnnnd ordered)

edit: regarding discussion about apps, I have learnt to let that obsession go. I have spent hundreds on apps for 'i' devices over the years but I asked myself what apps I actually regularly still use.

1) Metroview turn-by-turn satnav
2) Weather app

Both of those will be built in by default with my WP8 phone so I am happy with that. As for all the other apps, well I don't use them much if at all, so I couldn't care less.

Unlikely, you'd probably end up installing a custom ROM*. From my personal experience, if you're OK with updating your device every few days to fix annoying problems that the previous update introduced, you'll be fine.

* Probably Cyanogenmod which, if you have a popular device, will get fast updates and possibly be better than a stock device. If your device is unpopular or out of fashion, good luck. Because it's a community developed ROM there are often weird things that pop in or our depending on what version you use.

senahorse

I use that mod on my touchpad and it works pretty well, not really game to put it on my SG3.

Walking Dead (Video Game):

This game has infuriated me over the past few days, missing saves, starting me off chapters before, saying my current episode is locked. Fucked around with prefs.prop and seemed to have fixed the issue.

So I am currently in ep4 at the
high school and have just picked up the fuel from auto garage
, is there much longer to go? I was hoping to finish it off in a short stint after work?

P.S. Although really predictable, I very much enjoyed the
major plot twist
in ep2

Choc

Banned
the data plans are shite

i get 3gig for what they want me to pay 1gig for now

i could outright and stick with that plan

senahorse

We were considering it but in the end decided that 1GB was enough, I probably only average about 100-200MB usage a month as I am usually in the vicinity of wi-fi.

RE: Walking Dead.

Playing Ep 2 last night and it fucked up a reference to a decision I made. Enough for me to be taken out of the game and too irritated to keep playing in case it has consequences down the track that is the fault of the game, rather than me.

While play on the swing at the Dairy, Kenny has a red hot go at Lee for agreeing to throw Duck out on the street in Macon because he could have been bitten when in fact Lee got the shits up with that old fuck Larry and threatened him if he laid a hand on Duck! What the fuck! How could that be mistaken for betraying Kenny and his family! Kenny had even earlier in the episode remarked on how Lee always had his back! Fucking game :/

senahorse

Rep, don't know if this has affected you but I have had issues with saves from episode to episode where the choices are different to the ones I have made, I have replayed a bunch of it already :/

legend166

Dear bowlers,

Stop bowling no-balls. There is literally no excuse.

Kind Regards,
Australian cricket fans.

P.S. No, 'it's not fair that umpires can check' is not a reasonable argument.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom