• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 7 - We hang out IRL now and be social and shit. (Also, Adrian's Revenge)

Status
Not open for further replies.

markot

Banned
Outspoken Nationals Senator Barnaby Joyce has declared he is on a personal campaign to change politics.

His move is partly in response to being described as "deranged" by Climate Change Minister Greg Combet, but he says there is a much bigger issue at play affecting the public standing of all politicians.

"We've got to realise what the public are saying - the public are starting to put a pox on both houses and they're starting to ask questions about 'are we acting like adults?'," Senator Joyce told reporters in Canberra.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-11-19/joyce-campaigns-to-reform-personal-politics/4379682

>_<

Its speaking out your ass like this that makes people hate politicians.

jambo

How many gigys of patches do you have to do on a new Windows 7 install now? HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!?

How many restarts and time does it take?!

Never happens? OR ALWAYS HAPPENS?!

If the Wii U had the capabilities of a Windows PC then that'd be OK.

The point of consoles is to streamline and make simple a lot of the tasks and fiddling that PC gamers have to do.

Giant day 1 updates coming from servers that are being overloaded is never good.

Why don't achievements work properly on Steam then, huh? Why?

Steam cheevos don't work?

Stackboy

Beck, Sigur Ross and Mike patton were the highlights for me

found the silversun pickups to be a bit bland.

also saw cake who were ok, nothing too amazing (too much new stuff) and dandy warhols who were alright.

missed out on fuck buttons due to a long toilet lineup after beck :(

Silversun Pickups did feel a bit flat, but it's always great to see a band who is genuinely happy to be up on stage and be so surprised to have so many fans so far from home. Seeing Lazy Eye live was a huge highlight for me. I can play that song everyday. In fact, I more or less do.

Huge crowd for Cake! Dandy's were a bit average. Been listening to Sigur Ros all morning.

Steam cheevos don't work?
What was your issue?
Blame the publishers!
Received achievements when not eligible (maybe -- this was for Alan Wake, was sure I played it on normal but got the hard cheevo -- Omi mentioned the same happened). Not received achievements when I should (e.g. got the achievement for, say, "completed level 5", but I don't have the "completed level 1" achievement) and so on.

Seems like it's probably down to the individual game to dish them out so probably is the developer's fault.

Received achievements when not eligible (maybe -- this was for Alan Wake, was sure I played it on normal but got the hard cheevo -- Omi mentioned the same happened). Not received achievements when I should (e.g. got the achievement for, say, "completed level 5", but I don't have the "completed level 1" achievement) and so on.

Seems like it's probably down to the individual game to dish them out so probably is the developer's fault.

I've read a few interviews with developers about having to put in hooks in the game programming for achievement systems and it does sound like it requires a bit of effort to get it running stable so they don't glitch. There are plenty on the 360 that are glitchy as all crap despite it having the best system and it being in mandatory since 2005 now.

A lot of games around the 360 release had terrible achievement tracking, ESPECIALLY the EA ones (NFS Carbon was such a fuck about it). Funnily enough PD0 was perfect in that regard, a lot of really polished shit in that game, pity the underlying game was a shit.

markot

Banned
AMD DEALS
Gamer PC i3-3220/8GB/1TB/USB3/2GB ATI HD-7850 $589 + Delivery
Gamer PC i5-3470/8GB/1TB/USB3/2GB ATI HD-7850 $659 + Delivery
Gamer PC i7-3770/8GB/1TB/USB3/2GB ATI HD-7850 $769 + Delivery

NVIDIA DEALS
Gamer PC i3-3220/8GB/1TB/USB3/2GB GTX660 $629 + Delivery
Gamer PC i5-3470/8GB/1TB/USB3/2GB GXT660 $699 + Delivery
Gamer PC i7-3770/8GB/1TB/USB3/2GB GTX660 $809 + Delivery

http://www.mrpcgeek.com.au/c/4469690/1/ozbargain-specials.html

pgood

legend166

Okay so since we're moving house I'm using this an opportunity to get a better deal on our stuff.

At the moment, we're getting Foxtel + Home Phone from Telstra, and the internet from TPG, and it's costing us around $230 a month.

The plan is to get rid of Telstra completely, get Foxtel directly from Foxtel, and get the TPG $70/month internet + phone thing. That will cost us $207 a month.

I'm ringing up Telstra to cancel now. What's the chances of them offering an awesome deal to save us?

markot

Banned
Okay so since we're moving house I'm using this an opportunity to get a better deal on our stuff.

At the moment, we're getting Foxtel + Home Phone from Telstra, and the internet from TPG, and it's costing us around $230 a month.

The plan is to get rid of Telstra completely, get Foxtel directly from Foxtel, and get the TPG $70/month internet + phone thing. That will cost us $207 a month.

I'm ringing up Telstra to cancel now. What's the chances of them offering an awesome deal to save us?

good.

My sister got 50% off foxtel for a year when she rang to have it disconnected.

legend166

How about getting rid of TPG and going with Telstra Ultimate Cable?

In a bundle you can get pretty good value:

200GB @ 30-100Mbps + home phone is $100

500GB @ 30-100Mbps + home phone is $130

EDIT: Also EVERYONE should grab a free copy of Fairway Solitaire for iOS!

Yeah but that home phone doesn't include calls, and it's still more expensive. Cable would be nice, but the new place should be able to get 15Mbps so that's good enough.

We do, because the bundle we got was cheaper than not having it ($99 for 1TB of Optus [yeah yeah] cable and free calls country wide [mobile, land line, etc], so I make any calls from home on it).

Definitely would do away with it if it cost us any more.

Kritz

Banned
I'm doing muh better recovering from surgery than I thought. Havent thrown up once; disziness is minimal, I can talk and function normally enough to be a pedantic wanker with the poor nurses, and I'm not in any pain at all.

Kritz

Banned
Izddal.jpg

Thumbs up for not being dead?

Fredescu

To anyone considering a Windows phoneee

"They told them they where going to give them windows on a phone. They bought windows on a phone. Random reboots, completely unstable, uses up all resources including battery, the only solution is to wipe it out and start over, and even then you end up with a broken device. Sounds like they managed to port the whole windows experience, I don't get the complains. Maybe it's the lack of a blue screen of dead that's bothering them?"

Yep, that sure is Slashdot.

markot

Banned
"They told them they where going to give them windows on a phone. They bought windows on a phone. Random reboots, completely unstable, uses up all resources including battery, the only solution is to wipe it out and start over, and even then you end up with a broken device. Sounds like they managed to port the whole windows experience, I don't get the complains. Maybe it's the lack of a blue screen of dead that's bothering them?"

ITS FUNNY CAUSE ITS TRUE!

Kritz

Banned
What's that rash on your upper lip?

Did they have some surgical tape there?

kidding <3

Can I lie and say its for movember

Ron Swanson said it gets thicker. It doesn't.

I come from a long lineage of sweet moustaches so I am quite disappointed with my mothers genetics...

----

The surgery is my third revision surgery on a mastoidectamy in my right ear. Ideally it will reduce or eliminate discharge that I suffer from and they have also removed a bone to attempt to give me rudimentary hearing in the ear.

At the moment I'm mostly just bleeding on people so wont know if it worked until later in the week.

Clipper

Just one more November SydGAF meetup to go...

shanshan310's dinner/drinks:
Date: Friday, November 23rd, 2012
Time: 6:30PM
Place: Meeting outside the entrance to Wharf 6 at Circular Quay. Then likely going to Hokkaido Japanese Restaurant (basement of 20 Loftus St) for Dinner, then over to one of a few places in The Rocks to get something to drink.
Attendees: Choc, Clipper, Danoss, Jintor, Rahk, shanshan310

senahorse

Reading the reviews for WP8 and phones on The Verge and Slashdot it seems they really favour iOS, as in, what they let iOS get away with they don't with WP8, certainly reads like a bias.

Rezbit

So I just checked and my average post count per day has slowed considerably over the past year or so. It's below 7 posts per day for the first time since I can remember.

Ah man, you were one of the first posters I noticed when I started posting 5 years ago. Just felt like Scott Pilgrim when he says "So alone..." only it's "So old..."

Currently sitting below four, as I have for ages (had a year or more off at times).

jambo

Mine's at 8.64 posts a day, I think it's always been around 8 or 9.

Also I'm almost to 10,000 posts and I'm coming 6th in AusGAF!

vz5Yy.png

Izddal.jpg

Thumbs up for not being dead?

Congrats! Could they take enough of the WiiU launch memories out of your mind or do you still recall the horrors of 12.8 GB/s RAM and hard locks every half hour?

Can I lie and say its for movember

Ron Swanson said it gets thicker. It doesn't.

I come from a long lineage of sweet moustaches so I am quite disappointed with my mothers genetics....
Shave the fuck out of it hard and often. Worked for me! Spent high school wishing for facial hair and now I can't fucking go more than one night clean shaven before I look like a lazy hobo.

Also, this is the greatest tune ever: Daft Punk - TRON Legacy (End Titles) 8-bit I wanna go play some Sega now.

Great remix of a great song. Time to hit that soundtrack up again for the night.

So I just checked and my average post count per day has slowed considerably over the past year or so. It's below 7 posts per day for the first time since I can remember.
Up around 12 still, I used to be around the 6 mark until I got an office job :/

Also not far off 9,000 posts!

Axiom

For the talk of terrible decisions Nintendo have made with the WiiU and it's botched launch, never forget the Australian Dreamcast launch.

Also from watching the latest pro wrestling pay-per-view: "The All Blacks are based in South Africa, I saw that Nelson Mandela movie", nice work commentator!

Damnit, I can finally go to Melbourne in December and Game Masters finished back in October! >_<

Serious Sam 3: Jewel Of The Nile DLC for $2.50 (Steamkey from Amazon)
Sin: Emergence for $2.50 on Steam (always wanted to play it, turns out I already own it!)

Well, today was a pretty crappy day at work. It can basically be summarised in the following dot points:

- arrive 15 minutes early for work. Walk in and the manager says "oh, you showed up". He for some reason thought I wasn't coming (I've never been late or missed a shift except for one day when they changed the roster without telling me), so he called someone else in to cover my shift.
- Serve some guy talking on his phone. He doesn't hear me confirm his order because he's busy talking, and -surprise- what he ordered isn't actually what he wanted. I take back the burger and throw it away.
- The next man in the queue orders a burger. The people at the back make it and about a minute later it comes down the shoot. I hand it to him, and he says "You've just given me the other guy's old burger, haven't you?" I explain that I threw it away, and that its not even the same type of burger. The guy says "prove it, go get me the other burger", which I then have to fish out of the bin for him.
- Turns out the manager never told the person he called to cover my shift that I came in. They commuted 2 hours from the Sunshine coast and when they got there the manager told them they weren't needed anymore.
- Some guy wants to change his drink for some chicken. I can't change it, and he points out that they are the same price. I tell him I physically can't change it on the machine, and doing anything else would mess up stocktake. He doesn't understand, and starts being condescending about not knowing how to think for myself or some shit.
- This woman started lurking around the store and just as I'd give customers their change she'd come up and say "hey, I need some money for the bus!"
- I apologise to an old woman for running out of something, and offer to give her some free stuff instead. She just yells "give me my money back!"
- Then, at last, its almost home time. I go out to do a final clean of dining room. Someone has changed a diaper on a table, and left the open nappy and some dirty wipes on the table.

I'm doing muh better recovering from surgery than I thought. Havent thrown up once; disziness is minimal, I can talk and function normally enough to be a pedantic wanker with the poor nurses, and I'm not in any pain at all.

Hope it works out and you won't need anymore Kritz.

Mine's at 8.64 posts a day, I think it's always been around 8 or 9.

Also I'm almost to 10,000 posts and I'm coming 6th in AusGAF!

I noticed I was coming second or third for a while there so I've been trying to cut back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom