• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 7 - We hang out IRL now and be social and shit. (Also, Adrian's Revenge)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaneus

Pay a buck, get a shit tonne of Double Fine Amnesia Fortnight prototypes. Also vote on the one that will become a real boy.

Since we're talking prototypes/experimental games, Kickstart $15 to The LA Game Space and get 30 experimental games.
Shit, is that Amnesia Fortnight one up for a while? Site's blocked but I heart pretty much anything DF put out.

PS. That KS thingy? I'm surprised they didn't get someone like Brendon Chung from Blendo Games on as well. Looks like his sort of thing.
In other news apparently Android 4.2 is a little broken: http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/1...major-issues-plaguing-googles-newest-release/

First the Wii U, now Android. Post if you're ok markot.
Just as well I didn't get a Nexus 4.
I still want one

As happy as I am about it, any idea why they did it? It is true that in the last ten years Brisbane has had one more home game, but I assume that evens out as you go back in time. Most of the news reports suggest money and state government.

Yeah I think it was money. Not sure though. Stopping the Maroons win indefinitely probably didn't hurt either. Before people in NSW lose interest.

Still it's bullshit. NSW sold their games to Victoria, then they complained about it. It's Queensland's turn this year and the Commission have just decided to fuck that right off.

Jintor

Pack it up, Wii U an online failure confirmed forever

Seriously though, this is absolutely abysmal treatment of online by Nintendo.

Fredescu

Would Turnbull knife Tony and take the leadership though?
That's the million dollar question. If the Gillard/Rudd thing never happened, and Rudd was still in power, and all the polls were still the same, I reckon Turnbull would nearly already be in. The fact that they've gotten so much political mileage out of the backstabbing makes it kinda difficult to do it themselves, even if they have an unpopular leader.

Of course, having an unpopular leader may not matter. They still have an election winning lead in the polls.

Doesn't have the support, too moderate.
There's that too, but he did only lose the leadership to Abbott by one vote.

Only experienced the 'no December' bug thus far on my Nexus 7. But that's only in the People app, which I never use on a tablet. The Calendar works as expected. Maaaaybe battery life is a little worse, but I don't think so.

Shit, is that Amnesia Fortnight one up for a while? Site's blocked but I heart pretty much anything DF put out.
It's up for the next week.

Stackboy

Well, today was a pretty crappy day at work. It can basically be summarised in the following dot points:

RETAIL!! Sorry you're having a bad time man. Just remember that in the future, garbage jobs like this will make the awesome ones all the better.

I don't feel awake if I don't get some morning exercise these days.

Halo 4 is pretty Halo. Way better facial animation and cutscene direction, almost exactly the same goddamn gameplay, even with the new weapons (which, functionally, are slightly-different-rifle, slightly-different-shotgun, slightly-different-pistol). Enjoyable, but... old.

I'm not saying it's broken. It's still great. It's just not... new. Not touching multi though, don't really enjoy Halo multi outside of drunken friend nights where we make up game modes. No firefight though? Lame as shit.

But I'm not saying similar gameplay, I'm thinking almost identical. New enemies don't really inspire different methods of playing, we're still fighting Covenant who act and play exactly like they used to, armour abilities don't really change up gameplay in any significant way... at least it's easier to see things, I guess.

I'm not really feeling it. But then, I guess I haven't been feeling it since Halo 1, so take that as you will. At least I kind of understand what's going on in the story, unlike Halo 3. I was completely lost in that game.

You complain it's still the same Halo (which shouldn't surprise you, if it ain't broke and millions of gamers are happy, don't fix it), then you get nostalgic for Firefight. Which one is it? I like the new MP changes, it caters more to the strengths different gamers have. Sure it's COD'afied a little, but borrowing from other successful games has been done and pulled off before. I think Halo 4 does this quite well and still retains the good things about the Halo Franchise. The campaign is rock solid too, too early to call so soon after launch, but could be one of the best Halo campaigns yet.

Pack it up, Wii U an online failure confirmed forever

Seriously though, this is absolutely abysmal treatment of online by Nintendo.

How is anyone surprised that Nintendo, a company that previously has been wonderfully reluctant to jump in on the online phenomenon, has messed up it's online component?

Jintor

You complain it's still the same Halo (which shouldn't surprise you, if it ain't broke and millions of gamers are happy, don't fix it), then you get nostalgic for Firefight. Which one is it? I like the new MP changes, it caters more to the strengths different gamers have. Sure it's COD'afied a little, but borrowing from other successful games has been done and pulled off before. I think Halo 4 does this quite well and still retains the good things about the Halo Franchise. The campaign is rock solid too, too early to call so soon after launch, but could be one of the best Halo campaigns yet.

Both? They're not mutually exclusive (and Firefight always played sufficiently differently from the primary campaign, and required co-op to boot). Solid is pretty much how I would have described every Halo ever; competent at what it does, but not all that exciting or innovative. It's like getting wedges. Wedges are pretty goddamn tasty. But it's... wedges.

I've reiterated several times I don't give a shit about MP

How is anyone surprised that Nintendo, a company that previously has been wonderfully reluctant to jump in on the online phenomenon, has messed up it's online component?

I'm hardly surprised.

Fredescu

Really? How can a company like Nintendo who rely on gaming revenue and nothing else be so ignorant of the successes of their competitors and demands of their consumers in markets where they make a lot of money? It's just baffling. Fair enough with the Wii, when the online stuff was shit, it was like "Oh that crazy Nintendo" but six years on and the chance to wipe the slate clean and they're still basically pre Xbox1 technology wise?

I'm not expecting them to ever be on par with their competitors technologically, but at least start recognising that we're in the post Facebook world and start doing shit that consoles were doing two generations go.

Dmax3901

So I used some tricky epic hacking skills to get AC3 deluxe dirt cheap through GMG, but I then decided I didn't want to wait 2+ days so I've filed for a refund.

There was no guarantee I'd get the key either because of 1. the tricky shit used and 2. the lateness of my preorder etc.

Anyone here getting AC3 on PC? Anywhere pretty cheap I'm not aware of? My plan now is to just get a US gaffer to purchase for me and reimburse him via paypal.

Really? How can a company like Nintendo who rely on gaming revenue and nothing else be so ignorant of the successes of their competitors and demands of their consumers in markets where they make a lot of money? It's just baffling. Fair enough with the Wii, when the online stuff was shit, it was like "Oh that crazy Nintendo" but six years on and the chance to wipe the slate clean and they're still basically pre Xbox1 technology wise?

I'm not expecting them to ever be on par with their competitors technologically, but at least start recognising that we're in the post Facebook world and start doing shit that consoles were doing two generations go.
Point of order - hardware locked accounts are not a technological limitation at this point.

They no doubt made a decision based on the way the majority of their customers behave and decided to:

A) Not bother with the infrastructure overhead a hardware-divorced approach would require

B) Launch with a barebones system lacking this feature (how many people are going to buy multiple Wii Us at this point in its life cycle really?) and add features later (that they can Trojan horse in anti-piracy features on). See also: 3DS

Remember how PSN launched without a name?

Fredescu

Point of order - hardware locked accounts are not a technological limitation at this point.
I don't mean that to suggest that it's not possible for them to do. In fact, the ease (or at least the ubiquitousness) of it is what makes it those most baffling. I was using technology as interchangeable with "features".

I don't mean that to suggest that it's not possible for them to do. In fact, the ease (or at least the ubiquitousness) of it is what makes it those most baffling. I was using technology as interchangeable with "features".
I wasn't surprised in the least, to be honest. It's launch. It was always going to be really shitty.

If we're having this same conversation two years down the track and the 3DS hasn't been graduated to the same system, then I'll be baffled.

Fredescu

I wasn't surprised in the least, to be honest. It's launch. It was always going to be really shitty.
I'm not that bothered by all the stuff that a lot of people are going on about, like the the 1GB patch, the stability issues, debug menus, and so forth. Software purchases tied to hardware is just unacceptable in this day and age, it's the worst kind of DRM. Not having some sort of rudimentary account based purchasing system in place at launch just shows that they don't consider it much of a priority, and potentially makes it harder to implement down the track.

I thought they were moving toward one with the 3DS. Did that ever happen?

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Holy!!

There's an okcupid application that for iphone that connects you to your profile and shit. There's an option that allows you to display those around you locally, i have no idea how it works / what the range is, but anyway.

That girl you messaged a few days ago popped up on my active nearby page.

Creepy

markot

Banned
Holy!!

There's an okcupid application that for iphone that connects you to your profile and shit. There's an option that allows you to display those around you locally, i have no idea how it works / what the range is, but anyway.

That girl you messaged a few days ago popped up on my active nearby page.

Creepy

bow chika bow wow

Stackboy

If you take a look at how they treated the Gamecube AND the Wii's online component, this kind of failure isn't that shocking. I know they need to compete with online, but this still comes as no surprise. Nintendon't geddit.

Everyone with a decent PC should buy this. Even if you don't like 3rd person shooters it is great to experience a video game that questioned its reason for existing as a video game and creating something that actually leverages the medium rather than just throwing together something that could have been done as a book/movie/tv show. Love how it all ties in with the questions you raise completely seperate to the actual content itself, more about what and why they did what they did.

The continuing adventures of Nintendo ignoring competitors and doing their own thing, regardless of the value to consumers.

Nintendo don't give a fuck. They just want that fanboy money. All the talk before release about bringing back the core gamer seems to have been bullshit once everything has been shown. Why would I pay full price for a copy of Arkham City with some questionable Tablet functionality and more glitches than the original release when you can pick it up for $12 on 360?

Would Turnbull knife Tony and take the leadership though?
You should be asking the faceless men that.

You managed to bought? It knocked back my Paypal even though it's worked before on GMG :/
Apparently they ran out of keys for a while, works fine now. Never had an issue in the past TBH on my end.

So I used some tricky epic hacking skills to get AC3 deluxe dirt cheap through GMG, but I then decided I didn't want to wait 2+ days so I've filed for a refund.

There was no guarantee I'd get the key either because of 1. the tricky shit used and 2. the lateness of my preorder etc.

Anyone here getting AC3 on PC? Anywhere pretty cheap I'm not aware of? My plan now is to just get a US gaffer to purchase for me and reimburse him via paypal.
I was gifted a copy on GMG months ago. Hopefully it runs well! Previews have been promising.

So who would be able to tell me if this is a Nintendo-made Pro controller or third party

159832_detail.jpg

Its on the EB website but doesn't list a manufacturer

this is the nintendo one

157994_detail_v2.jpg

Fredescu

If you take a look at how they treated the Gamecube AND the Wii's online component, this kind of failure isn't that shocking.
We're basically arguing about our own emotional reactions to news, so it's completely subjective, but for me the Wii's shitty online was like a racist uncle at christmas dinner complaining about "the blacks". It's like "hah that crazy old uncle". With the Wii U he's now ranting about "the blacks" in the middle of a crowded shopping centre. Sure he's done it before, but in this context it's much more shocking.

So who would be able to tell me if this is a Nintendo-made Pro controller or third party
Third party for sure. Is that an infra red port?

Salazar

West End Uniting Church runs a Big Questions philosophy group, it turns out.

"TOPIC: DO SCIENTIFIC FACTS MEAN ANYTHING ?"

Good luck with that one :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom