• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 7 - We hang out IRL now and be social and shit. (Also, Adrian's Revenge)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not even sure where you are going, on one hand you are sticking up for Nintendo saying its a complex system, next you are saying they released something untested. Strangely conflicting!

Sure I am simplifying, but the principals remain. They chose a poor design / starting point (likely Wii OS code) attempting to patch in a modern net enabled feature set. And have failed. So far.

Sure it *could* be fixed, but if they have it wrong at the start (the account stuff locked to hardware being a good indicator) they may well be pushing shit up hill without re-writing a heck of a lot.
I'm saying that Nintendo ought to be criticised for failures, but that people shouldn't be surprised that they happen or act like it's an especially egregious example of this sort of thing because of the reasons I'm outting forward. Also, I'm saying that features at launch are not necessarily indicative of long term plans.

Additionally, I think you're making a lot of assumptions regarding software architecture that we don't know anything about for certain. I can think of a dozen reasons why an account system that is capable of allowing accounts to be decoupled from hardware mightn't allow the feature at launch, most of them service capacity or DRM related.

Remember how a few people were disappointed that 3DS didn't offer full retail games as downloads at the beginning or how a patch system didn't appear to be in place? The capacity was there in the system all along and no doubt planned from the beginning, but for whatever reason, it was not announced at launch.

Six months from now, we'll have a better understanding of what was and wasn't intended for the system at launch. So I say if you're on the fence about a purchase, wait.

If the final policy ends up being detrimental to your interests, don't buy. If not, do. Simple.

Shaneus

Some things that have just come to mind:
Jesper Kyd was dropped from the new Hitman game, as was the original VA for the title character./QUOTE]

Actually Bateson's back and he's incredible.
No Kyd though. Not that I ever played through many of the Hitman games, I had no idea until now that he did all the Assassin's Creed games (at least, up until recently).

I only really knew of him because of all the really early mod tracker music he did back in the day.

I unsubscribe from Ricki Lee on Twitter today.

Sweet Jesus, I've changed :/

Look at you. You've changed

profile_pic_s.png

/in-joke

Omikron

I'm saying that Nintendo ought to be criticised for failures, but that people shouldn't be surprised that they happen or act like it's an especially egregious example of this sort of thing because of the reasons I'm outting forward. Also, I'm saying that features at launch are not necessarily indicative of long term plans.

Additionally, I think you're making a lot of assumptions regarding software architecture that we don't know anything about for certain. I can think of a dozen reasons why an account system that is capable of allowing accounts to be decoupled from hardware mightn't allow the feature at launch, most of them service capacity or DRM related.

Remember how a few people were disappointed that 3DS didn't offer full retail games as downloads at the beginning or how a patch system didn't appear to be in place? The capacity was there in the system all along and no doubt planned from the beginning, but for whatever reason, it was not announced at launch.

Six months from now, we'll have a better understanding of what was and wasn't intended for the system at launch. So I say if you're on the fence about a purchase, wait.

If the final policy ends up being detrimental to your interests, don't buy. If not, do. Simple.

I don't think I was ever arguing that couldn't fix it. Just that it will take a lot of time and a lot of money to do so. And it is Nintendo. Shall I take a wild stab that they will just provide some transfer facility and not a true 'account based' approach.

And my assumptions are based on experience working with large software systems and what it takes to fix a major issue with the original design.

Usually about 9-10 days for me, slightly quicker than from Zavvi/OzGameShop. Depends on their stock though, most sale items like this would ship straight away to clear the decks.

Thanks for that. Will probably order tonight.

SSX could be my GOTY. It copped plenty of flak, but I boarded some snows so hard.

Yeah I briefly played it on ps3 and it seemed fun.

Dude, NOTHING can compare to Amped 3. That game is something bloody special.

Good answer. I LOVED amped 3.

Shaneus

Fun trivia fact: The guys behind Amped 3 (at least, the heritage of the team) used to be Access Software, the guys behind the Tex Murphy series, as well as World Class Leaderboard and the Links series (including 2004 on Xbox).

Jintor

Blood Money is amazing. Absolution has had one level so far where it felt like that (and it was still a relatively small sandbox) and everything since then has been bullshit. Still going forward.

Managed to buy Sleeping Dogs from GMG... eventually. Had to VPN to my home network in order to buy it as I guess their credit card authorisation system didn't like whatever IP range work owns.

Shaneus

Blood Money is amazing. Absolution has had one level so far where it felt like that (and it was still a relatively small sandbox) and everything since then has been bullshit. Still going forward.
From what I can gather, the new Hitman is more Max Payne 3 than Hitman. I'm not sure that's a good thing, especially considering Blood Money was so fucking good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom