• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 7 - We hang out IRL now and be social and shit. (Also, Adrian's Revenge)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Axiom

This Nintendo ID thing has completely soured me on Wii U. It makes me angry and ensures that if I get one, I'll never make digital purchases.

Trains are totally different

Yeah! And you can only pretend to stare out the train window at night for so long before people realise you can't see shit but your own reflection!

Kritz

Banned
You appear to approach Nintendo stuff the same way I approach Sony handhelds. All likelihood is I won't enjoy it, but I want it anyway.

I miss my PSP sometimes.

I think it's my approach to bullshit shiney gadgets. Even if I have zero interest in any of the games, especially since it seems to be a rubbish third party port platform. But inviting some friends over for a few hours of Nintendo Farm sounds like a fun thing to do. That Luigi's thing looks intense.

I'm kinda baffled that there doesn't seem to be a single nintendo first party game with decent online though. Well, also, kinda baffled that nintendo are being so nintendo about online for the entire system.

If my doctor's bill is anywhere close to reasonable I'll consider splurging.

Shaneus

sure. take my current key and ill rebuy it when i get home from work. check your pms
Thanks! You might want to make sure you can still buy it. I know when I accidentally tried buying it twice it said I couldn't, but that was in the one order. If it's separate, it might be okay.

Don't worry, I haven't registered the one you PM'ed me yet :)

Thanks! You might want to make sure you can still buy it. I know when I accidentally tried buying it twice it said I couldn't, but that was in the one order. If it's separate, it might be okay.

Don't worry, I haven't registered the one you PM'ed me yet :)

Go for it man, I'm sure there'll be another sale further on. I'm not going to be able to play it anyway as I just remembered I have to move into my girlfriend's house for my new working shifts and my laptop isn't amazing. :/ Shout me a $6 in the future or something :p

It's 2012. Modern engineers have long since worked out how to tie digital purchases to an account. It isn't like this is some technical hurdle that they just couldn't crack. It was a decision made by someone early on that was not only incredibly poor and entirely baffling, but also indicative of an ignorance toward the (western) digital marketplace.

The raised pitchforks are entirely justified. As consumers we have a right to demand more. Denying you access to your games on an account level is the equivalent, in 2012, to linking a game disc to a console after first play. Outrageous and embarrassing. We don't live in 2006 anymore. They've had years to watch the marketplace develop.
Engineers solved all the problems inherent in getting to the moon decades ago too. China is yet to send a man up there.

Let's just wait a few months and see if it's a permanent state of affairs, then put all the heads up on spikes we want.

I think it's my approach to bullshit shiney gadgets. Even if I have zero interest in any of the games, especially since it seems to be a rubbish third party port platform. But inviting some friends over for a few hours of Nintendo Farm sounds like a fun thing to do. That Luigi's thing looks intense.

I'm kinda baffled that there doesn't seem to be a single nintendo first party game with decent online though. Well, also, kinda baffled that nintendo are being so nintendo about online for the entire system.

If my doctor's bill is anywhere close to reasonable I'll consider splurging.
Online games as we know them in the west are really outside of the Japanese wheelhouse and are a niche in a country where ad hoc wireless play is huge.

Nintendo is Japan centric to a fault and culturally, the Japanese are less inclined toward competitive gaming, which is where the great majority of online multiplayer is focused.

Don't tempt me temptress!

Ydahs

So I arrived home to find out my brother picked up this gem for $56 at a local EB. It's a used copy, but it looks completely untouched. Don't know if that cover's a fake. Haven't seen one like it before.

mBm6ql.jpg

Can't play it until I get a WiiU though, the Wii doesn't hook up to my projector :/

Ydahs

As long as your projector doesn't use toslink you're golden
Regarding the WiiU? My projector doesn't handle audio so I have to use RCA cables from the PS3 and Foxtel and plug them in directly to my stereo speakers.

But for some odd reason the WiiU doesn't support HDMI and RCA simultaneously, so I have to buy an audio extractor (or just use headphones...). Yay Nintendo...

Engineers built automobiles 100 years ago but Western Samoa doesn't have a car industry! This is a Japanese tech company with worldwide offices, it's not rocket science.
I preface this by saying I work in engineering.

Implementing a system of the size and complexity of Xbox Live from scratch takes years, even if you know how to do it. When you're ramping up for a project that size, even if you have all the expertise in place, your team is competent and your QA processes are top notch, things will go wrong, during commissioning, during rollout, heck, even a year into operation, issues nobody had any clear inkling of will come to the fore.

In order to mitigate this, you often conduct roll out or cutover in stages, making certain each stage is operational before introducing more unknown factors into the mix. You are not seeing the final form of the Wii U system, not by a long shot.

So if West Samoa were ever to try to build up an automobile industry, here's what would happen - cock ups, system failures and teething issues. Could they fix it by bringing in the right people and pumping in an unlimited budget? They might improve things and minimise issues but the fact remains that Rome was not built in a day and no matter how many women you put on the job, it still takes nine months to make a baby. Regardless, the very first Samoan car off the assembly line would still have issues.

So no, what you posted just now does not constitute a rebuttal.

Also, they're a Japanese entertainment company with worldwide offices full mostly of PR and commercial/business people. The small cadre of engineers are all concentrated in Japan and they had almost no experience with network infrastructure prior to this. They would have to have built up a team from scratch or had to have outsourced the work.

Shaneus

Big thanks to Megadrive for sorting me out! I'll be on the lookout for awesome $6 games that I can actually pay for AND are good ;) Thanks to Rep as well, though I'm not sure how my login deets would've helped, given that you need the PayPal account to have the same email address as the GMG one. Unless he was going to change my GMG email address then use his Paypal, in which case, that's pretty ingenious!

<3

people should stop asking me for reasons behind my actions
i dont have any, i just do or dont do things.
then they think i just dont want to tell them or something.
they should say "ok well its done, lets move on"
not "but why did you decide to do this, what motivated you"
99% of the time my answer is why the fuck not
but i dont swear at people iv just met
that would be rude

anyway that was my day
i get to meet more new people tomorrow
i dont like people
you guys are fine though, your not real

Kritz

Banned
Online games as we know them in the west are really outside of the Japanese wheelhouse and are a niche in a country where ad hoc wireless play is huge.

Nintendo is Japan centric to a fault and culturally, the Japanese are less inclined toward competitive gaming, which is where the great majority of online multiplayer is focused

y'know, maybe it's because I like to be optimistic when it comes to uncharted potential, but I could totally see some radically new forms of multiplayer be developed for that system. More focus on cooperative stuff, creative stuff. Demons Souls blood stains is a tiny example of that, but I'd love to see even more crazy stuff.

I'd extrapolate more but I appear to be bleeding on everything.

Shaneus

people should stop asking me for reasons behind my actions
i dont have any, i just do or dont do things.
then they think i just dont want to tell them or something.
they should say "ok well its done, lets move on"
not "but why did you decide to do this, what motivated you"
99% of the time my answer is why the fuck not
but i dont swear at people iv just met
that would be rude

anyway that was my day
i get to meet more new people tomorrow
i dont like people
you guys are fine though, your not real
You're.

Omikron

I preface this by saying I work in engineering.

Do I have to spout my qualifications before I write a response to you? Engineers always seem to use their qualifications like this as an entry in being correct in any sort of discussion. ;)

Implementing a system of the size and complexity of Xbox Live from scratch takes years, even if you know how to do it. When you're ramping up for a project that size, even if you have all the expertise in place, your team is competent and your QA processes are top notch, things will go wrong, during commissioning, during rollout, heck, even a year into operation, issues nobody had any clear inkling of will come to the fore.

In order to mitigate this, you often conduct roll out or cutover in stages, making certain each stage is operational before introducing more unknown factors into the mix. You are not seeing the final form of the Wii U system, not by a long shot.

So if West Samoa were ever to try to build up an automobile industry, here's what would happen - cock ups, system failures and teething issues. Could they fix it by bringing in the right people and pumping in an unlimited budget? They might improve things and minimise issues but the fact remains that Rome was not built in a day and no matter how many women you put on the job, it still takes nine months to make a baby. Regardless, the very first Samoan car off the assembly line would still have issues.

So no, what you posted just now does not constitute a rebuttal.

Also, they're a Japanese entertainment company with worldwide offices full mostly of PR and commercial/business people. The small cadre of engineers are all concentrated in Japan and they had almost no experience with network infrastructure prior to this. They would have to have built up a team from scratch or had to have outsourced the work.

Mostly correct, except you are dealing with a software project for the most part not a hardware one with the problems relating to the WiiU. Those being the online infrastructure anyway.`

Those are solved in the initial design stage, which it appears they completely ballsed up. My guess is largely from leveraging the original Wii source as their basis for a quick turn around in development and certainly design time.

And when software is involved you don't have tolerances like you do in other design. Largely things are either right or wrong. No sorta weird half way house.

Big thanks to Megadrive for sorting me out! I'll be on the lookout for awesome $6 games that I can actually pay for AND are good ;) Thanks to Rep as well, though I'm not sure how my login deets would've helped, given that you need the PayPal account to have the same email address as the GMG one. Unless he was going to change my GMG email address then use his Paypal, in which case, that's pretty ingenious!

<3

No probs Bob! Hope it's as fun as rep propaganda'd. :p

Dead Man

Engineers solved all the problems inherent in getting to the moon decades ago too. China is yet to send a man up there.

Let's just wait a few months and see if it's a permanent state of affairs, then put all the heads up on spikes we want.

Nintendo is Japan centric to a fault and culturally, the Japanese are less inclined toward competitive gaming, which is where the great majority of online multiplayer is focused.

Don't tempt me temptress!

A more useful analogy is that engineers solved all the problems with getting an object to fly years ago. If someone was setting up a transport company and had no aeroplanes it would be laughed at.

Otherwise you end up being able to excuse anything at all.

STOP BEING SO SHIT CHROME, WHY THE FUCK DID YOU STOP BEING AWESOME by Reptilescorpio

WHY DON'T YOU PROMPT ME "HEY WHY YOU WANT TO CLOSE CHROME? YOU GOT DOWNLOADS GOIN DOOD" ANY MORE

ALSO WHY NO YOUTUBE SOUND
I THOUGHT YOU OWN YOUTUBE
SO WHY YOUR WEBSITE THE ONLY ONE WHO NOT MAKE NOISE NOISE?

FIN

Shaneus

Yeah, Waterfox is the fucking way to go. I fluked upon it when I saw a thread created in OT (I know, right?) but it's suuuuper dope. 64-bit browsing FTW.

Man twitter is exploding about the ARLC banning the shoulder charge.

I'm thinking it was inevitable and probably a good thing. A solid shoulder charge is awesome, but seeing what concussions are doing to NFL and NHL players in America is pretty scary.

=/

Queensland Premier Campbell Newman has accused the opposition of mocking Arts Minister Ros Bates for fracturing her back.

Ms Bates, whose son's plum job in the transport department has sparked claims of nepotism, seriously hurt her back falling down stairs at her home last week. "She ripped muscle off the spine, she's damaged two to three vertebra, she's in hospital," Mr Newman told ABC Radio."The opposition should show her a bit of compassion." Mr Newman said the opposition had been ridiculing and mocking Ms Bates by asking about her wellbeing in parliament and wishing her well on Twitter. He said a comment on Twitter last week by shadow treasurer Curtis Pitt was particularly disgraceful.

"Here's hoping Minister Bates makes a speedy recovery. It'd be terrible if she missed the last sitting of parliament for the year," Mr Pitt tweeted.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/que...s-newman-tells-opposition-20121120-29nih.html

Do I have to spout my qualifications before I write a response to you? Engineers always seem to use their qualifications like this as an entry in being correct in any sort of discussion. ;)

Mostly correct, except you are dealing with a software project for the most part not a hardware one with the problems relating to the WiiU. Those being the online infrastructure anyway.`

Those are solved in the initial design stage, which it appears they completely ballsed up. My guess is largely from leveraging the original Wii source as their basis for a quick turn around in development and certainly design time.

And when software is involved you don't have tolerances like you do in other design. Largely things are either right or wrong. No sorta weird half way house.
Yeah, I should have qualified that by saying that it's in an unrelated field. The stuff I do is much closer to the metal and the most exciting thing that comes out of the stuff I build is natural gas.

I do know however, that you're oversimplifying the behaviour of large software systems in failure states. A failure state need not be catastrophic. The Miiverse hack thread is an example of unexpected, untested for bugs.

A more useful analogy is that engineers solved all the problems with getting an object to fly years ago. If someone was setting up a transport company and had no aeroplanes it would be laughed at.

If you're talking about the hardware account thing, it's more like a cut price airline that doesn't offer refunds or allow you to reschedule flights in the event of a change of plans on your part or a flight cancellation on theirs.

It's terrible customer service and an awful policy, but the majority of customers will never notice.

I argue that an airline that launches with only a partly functional booking system that forces such a policy isn't all that unusual. If they don't fix it, however, they will lose business.

It's not like matchmaking flat out never works. It's not like people aren't getting online. To follow your analogy, they're getting airborne, but you're screwed if you want to reschedule your flight.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member

A more apt analogy is setting up an airport that only travels to one country, one-way. Sure, the customer can get to that destination, but you're not really providing services most would expect from an airport. :p

Another apt analogy would be if a bunch of people were trying to describe an analogous circumstance to the WiiU Profile System but weren't using analogies that had worked in the past for similar situations but instead used analogies that were one-use only that were not transferable to the same situation in the future.

Why can I get an iOS device speaker dock for $20 at every second fucking store in town yet it is impossible to find an Android one for less than $100? Might pull the trigger on this one to setup in the kit/din/lng open area of the house.

Yeah, Waterfox is the fucking way to go. I fluked upon it when I saw a thread created in OT (I know, right?) but it's suuuuper dope. 64-bit browsing FTW.

Nice! Although I do enjoy the linked experience Chrome gives me :/
Not sure what to do. I'm sure once I come across another gif heavy thread I will crack the shits and spend some time with WaterFox. Youtube seems to have stopped hating on me for now.

Omikron

Yeah, I should have qualified that by saying that it's in an unrelated field. The stuff I do is much closer to the metal and the most exciting thing that comes out of the stuff I build is natural gas.

I do know however, that you're oversimplifying the behaviour of large software systems in failure states. A failure state need not be catastrophic. The Miiverse hack thread is an example of unexpected, untested for bugs.

I am not even sure where you are going, on one hand you are sticking up for Nintendo saying its a complex system, next you are saying they released something untested. Strangely conflicting!

Sure I am simplifying, but the principals remain. They chose a poor design / starting point (likely Wii OS code) attempting to patch in a modern net enabled feature set. And have failed. So far.

Sure it *could* be fixed, but if they have it wrong at the start (the account stuff locked to hardware being a good indicator) they may well be pushing shit up hill without re-writing a heck of a lot.

Shaneus

Some things that have just come to mind:
Jesper Kyd was dropped from the new Hitman game, as was the original VA for the title character.
Jesper Kyd did the entire soundtrack to Darkstalkerssiders 2. How did I not know this?
Angel Dust by Gil Scott-Heron is a fucking incredible track. So awesome.

Nice! Although I do enjoy the linked experience Chrome gives me :/
Not sure what to do. I'm sure once I come across another gif heavy thread I will crack the shits and spend some time with WaterFox. Youtube seems to have stopped hating on me for now.
Linked as in... with Android, or with other Chrome (home/work) browsers? Because Fire/Waterfox will totes do that, too. And you can even choose to not use their login, but your own online storage like Dropbox (or whatever) too! Great idea.

Looks like Resonance, To the Moon, Blackwell Bundle, Geneforge 1-5, Gemini Rue are the only ones I don't have in that pack that I'd want. I don't have time for so many adventure games!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom