• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 7 - We hang out IRL now and be social and shit. (Also, Adrian's Revenge)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaneus

Someone needs to make a BIG controller that has full PC USB support. I'd kill for something Duke-esque that's plug and play USB (I know it is actually USB but it uses that Xbox 1 HID rather than the 360 one that's supported by Windows).

senahorse

Sure the d-pad is far from perfect but aside from that I love the wireless xbox controller on PC. It's about time we had a controller standard that most devs aspire to include. Having to use pinnacle pro or joy2pad used to be the norm, now it's the exception and we even get button prompts :D

Rahk

I don't mind the 360 d-pad after shaving the area around it a little with a knife/scissors. It seems that the encasement is too small for the d-pad, and now moves around much more freely. After using that for a while then going back to a new controller, the new one appears to not register on all axes consistently.

Fredescu

It's about time we had a controller standard that most devs aspire to include.
We're definitely in a much better position than we've ever been in terms of having a controller standard. It's just not good in the long term to rely on a company that doesn't care about PC gaming to hold that standard. Sooner or later they're going to stop making 360 controllers.

senahorse

They might, but that remains to be seen. Also the flip-side is, they 'may' release an even better controller next console and have it be compatible with PC again. I understand the worry when Microsoft and PC gaming are in the same sentence, but thus far they are only company to really push a standard that developers have embraced (partly [maybe mostly] due to ports, but a standard all the same). Also third parties still release dongles and controllers that mimic the 360 pad, so we should always have an option, at least until the next 'standard' comes along.

commissar

We're definitely in a much better position than we've ever been in terms of having a controller standard. It's just not good in the long term to rely on a company that doesn't care about PC gaming to hold that standard. Sooner or later they're going to stop making 360 controllers.
But by having a standardised controller input, the 360 controller can be emulated to continue legacy support.

Doesn't matter if Microsoeft stops making the controller. Just need one with similar button functionality.
Like how you can use the PS3 controller emulating a 360 one today :]

edit: I am slow

Saturn USB controllers. If there is a need someone will fill that market.
Such is the PC.

Fucking dominating 100! Like Gilly times ten in terms of influence when on form. Smith is shitting his pants, terrible decisions this afternoon.

Scotchcheers.gif

Rezbit

Man, something to be said for just leaving both those dudes (Cowan, Warner) in there. At some point soon they will string together that big partnership. Definitely need Watto back though.

Also, apart from a nice bit of movement with the new ball, this looks like it could be another runs bonanza.

Fredescu

I bought one brand new from OzGameShop manufactured by a 3rd party. Goes great with emulation on the PC.
If there is demand someone will see it and want to make money from it.
You've always been able to buy USB (or gameport) gamepads and configure them for each game, well before the Xbox was thought of. The 360 controller created a standard where you can just plug it in and go, coloured button prompts and all. Personally I don't mind a bit of fucking around to get things working, but for the long term health of the platform you have to make concessions to the people that want things to work easily. Steam and the 360 controller have really contributed to the idea that the PC has gotten easier to manage as a gaming platform.

Making an open platform easy to use is about a lot more than simple supply and demand. If we're to continue to have a good plug and go standard for gamepads, I think someone like Valve are going to have to create it and push it. We know they're working on controllers, so I'm not negative about the possibility. Best case is they make sort of a blueprint and license it out to manufacturers who can make their own variations and compete on that level.

senahorse

They stopped making wireless dongles for PC already.

They also stopped making gaming mice, which sucks because I liked them.

Didn't know that, seems to be plenty of stock still though, at least in the bundle packs (controller + receiver), have they maybe just stopped making them as a standalone item?

Fredescu

have they maybe just stopped making them as a standalone item?
They definitely did at least that, and there was a period of time where it was very difficult in Australia to get the standalone or the bundle. Then EB suddenly starting stocking the bundle, so I don't know if it's old stock, or if they made another batch.

Didn't know that, seems to be plenty of stock still though, at least in the bundle packs (controller + receiver), have they maybe just stopped making them as a standalone item?
Stopped doing the standalone single after about 12 months I think. Combo pack of controller and single can be had for $35ish online most places.

jambo

Wait. People liked the duke. I thought everyone hated it because ir was big enough to have the dvd drive in the controller

Lpqt8l.jpg

Fantastic album, screw the haters!

It is there, their terrible website design hinders finding it.

I couldn't find it either...

EDIT: Wait, found it.

Shaneus

Wait. People liked the duke. I thought everyone hated it because ir was big enough to have the dvd drive in the controller
Yeah man. I get a gnarly cramp in my forefingers and palm gets this stupid curvature as it wraps around the bottom of the 360 pad. PS3 pads are fucking murder. But dat Duke... really nice long-throw (compared to the 360) sticks, analogue face buttons (DOAXBV baby) and you felt like a man while holding it.
I need all the help I can get

Kinda looking forward to hacking at one of them a bit tonight. I should track down a copy of Halo 1 for real ultimate power as well.

Fucking dominating 100! Like Gilly times ten in terms of influence when on form. Smith is shitting his pants, terrible decisions this afternoon.

Scotchcheers.gif
Fuck you. I was looking for that .gif when Jase unleashed that awesome burnsauce, but couldn't find it :(

That thread about Microsoft saying they compete with tablet makers too now is full of some crazy over reactions. Have people forgotten they are a tablet maker too now? Of course they've got to support it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom