• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 7 - We hang out IRL now and be social and shit. (Also, Adrian's Revenge)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danoss

Okay, we need to keep track. Who's on what on Briggs? Jintor on Terran Republic, the rest of you sound off here. If we're going to defect we need to do it early so we don't waste certs.

To confirm, I'm Terran Republic on Briggs. I'm not keen on changing to Vanu, maybe NC.

Kritz

Banned
Did some voting on Kritz's GOTY thing. Have played 12 games released this year. Have a further six I may begin playing before the end of the year, but will not likely finish more than one or two of those. Rated two I haven't finished in that 12.

Suggestions:

1. Have an option to flag if a game rated was finished (for the sake of consistency just say that's to the end of the main game),

2. allow me to pick my top ten games from the ones I've already rated to make things faster,

3. if the 'jump to' only has one match, go straight to it.

1. I'll consider adding it, but unlikely. Maybe next year. Not that it'd be difficult I just can't be bothered fiddling around with the database structure anymore.

2. it ain't pretty, but this is essentially what you wanted:

5MAff.png

you now change scores by clicking the score itself.

3. done. It's a pretty hacky job to get it to work so if anyone encounters bugs I'd like to know. Due to the way I designed this website while learning how to design webpages means that earlier pages like the index have coooompletely different styles to later things like the GOTY results and top 10 stuff.

Thanks for contributing! Additionally, here's my comparison to you:

I may make that stats page give out a written summary as well as pure data. So it'd say something like, "You have similar / dissimilar / exact / opposite tastes in games as $profileUsername!";

Sarcasm

Okay, we need to keep track. Who's on what on Briggs? Jintor on Terran Republic, the rest of you sound off here. If we're going to defect we need to do it early so we don't waste certs.

So far on Vanu and in the Outfit is:

Me
Fogz
Rahk
Evlcookie
Sarcasm
Doncamatic
BananaArnie

But also not too fussed if anyone wants to change.

Guys put your info in here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dEgzOG0tTWRwRld2RnVaaDl5OFU2MGc6MQ

That way we get a nice list.

Kirby102

So like my friend is asking me to organise his festivities for his birthday bash, and he wants a jumping castle. SydGAF, can anyone suggest me anywhere that does adult jumping castles?

It's a weird request, but I think it would be rather interesting :p

Ydahs

Wii U pre-order deals at K-Mart.

Wii U Basic Pack $299
Wii U Premium Pack $379

$59 Wii U Games
Just Dance 4
Avengers: Battle for Earth
Rabbids Land
Sonic All Star Racing
Game Party Champions

$69 Wii U Games
Fifa 13
NBA 2K13
Assassins Creed 3
ZombiU
New Super Mario Bros U
Scribblenauts Unlimited
Mass Effect 3
Darksiders 2
Woah. Looks like I'll be getting it from Kmart.

Any idea when it'll be available for sale on Friday? Midnight? 9am-ish?

1. I'll consider adding it, but unlikely.
Yeah, it's hardly very important. Thought it might be interesting to see what sort of ratings people give games they have/haven't finished etc.
2. it ain't pretty, but this is essentially what you wanted:
Nice one. After rating a bunch of games on my phone I didn't want to have to search for them again!

3. done. It's a pretty hacky job to get it to work so if anyone encounters bugs I'd like to know.

Thanks for contributing! Additionally, here's my comparison to you
Find it odd you rated Sleeping Dogs so highly. Definitely a middle of the road game for me. Haven't finished it yet, though so maybe that'll change. Doubtful.

Kritz

Banned
Find it odd you rated Sleeping Dogs so highly. Definitely a middle of the road game for me. Haven't finished it yet, though so maybe that'll change. Doubtful.

I actually set sleeping dogs as a 5/5 to test something. My actual rating is 4/5. The game has too many flaws, especially in how repetitive combat can get after a while, and how unfun shooting people is (despite me being in slowmotion 90% of the time), and a buncha other pacing issues.

I changed it back to 4/5 shortly after posting the image where I noticed it was still that high.

Probably... just mountains of menus and statistical displays.

The match engine looks like:

Other screens you spend a lot of time on:

Player Info:

Inbox:
Thank you :)

So can you watch a complete game? I assume that you play no part in the actions of the players, outside of any coaching-style interactions? Is it one of those games that you end up just skipping most of the matches to get back to the nitty-griity of trading/coaching/firing bitches?

Omikron

Thank you :)

So can you watch a complete game? I assume that you play no part in the actions of the players, outside of any coaching-style interactions? Is it one of those games that you end up just skipping most of the matches to get back to the nitty-griity of trading/coaching/firing bitches?

You can do all of the above if you want... I generally watch matches with 'key highlights' on and make adjustments to tactics depending on the match situation. Which does have subtle impacts on the outcome of games.

It is super satisfying planning an approach for a particular game (either a specific tactic, or set piece etc) and seeing it come off without you actually being 'involved'. :)

I can see how it would be rewarding and slowly consume someone.

Thankfully I have no interest in football, so my life is free to be consumed by different products.

Lastly: what's the point of the yearly updates? I assume roster updates aren't that important, since part of the game is to trade players and change the teams to your liking, so is it purely for the interface and option changes?

Omikron

I can see how it would be rewarding and slowly consume someone.

Thankfully I have no interest in football, so my life is free to be consumed by different products.

Lastly: what's the point of the yearly updates? I assume roster updates aren't that important, since part of the game is to trade players and change the teams to your liking, so is it purely for the interface and option changes?

Football fans are always wanting to 'start' with the latest roster list and finding out what they could do with that situation.

Also, they always tweak things, the interface, the 3d engine, all sorts of other changes continue to improve the game overall. 13 in particular is a major leap forward in my opinion.

I could see there being a bunch of people that closely follow the real world going-ons with their simulated team to see if they could get a better yearly result than their real world counterparts.

Regardless, it's got it's fans (and plenty, plenty of them, at that, it seems) and everyone that owns the game seems to work a second job level of hours playing it each week. It's got to be doing something right.

Plus, you don't often see if discounted, which means it must be a evergreen money making machine for Sega. Chances are, Football Manager is the only reason that they continue to exist.

Thanks for taking the time to explain it al to be, Omi :)

Kritz

Banned
If anyone's curious here's a video walkthrough of my game. I have provided some text annotations that describe some design decisions and thinking. The annotations don't stay on screen for very long, as I imagine the kind of people who leave annotations on are the people who will pause to actually read them.

At this point I think Vlander is actually complete, despite only being a single level long. I may start a second level and continue fixing bugs, though. But I've been doing the last 10% of this game for about 90% of the time I've spent making it... which seems to be how most game polish goes.

Omikron

I could see there being a bunch of people that closely follow the real world going-ons with their simulated team to see if they could get a better yearly result than their real world counterparts.

Regardless, it's got it's fans (and plenty, plenty of them, at that, it seems) and everyone that owns the game seems to work a second job level of hours playing it each week. It's got to be doing something right.

Plus, you don't often see if discounted, which means it must be a evergreen money making machine for Sega. Chances are, Football Manager is the only reason that they continue to exist.

Thanks for taking the time to explain it al to be, Omi :)

No worries. You should try out the demo....

:D

Jintor

Cool, no fucking TWO BROKEN TICKETSTATIONS when I'm late for a dental appointment

Maybe they can upgrade our damn trains too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom