• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 7 - We hang out IRL now and be social and shit. (Also, Adrian's Revenge)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gazunta

I noticed JB and EB are getting White 3DS XL's in. One with 3D land, one with Mario Kart. Pre-installed? That's odd. Why not just the cart?

160585_detail.jpg
OH GOD DAMN IT I JUST BOUGHT A 3DS XL AND 3D LAND YESTERDAY FROM JB FUCK

I KNEW THIS SHIT WOULD HAPPEN FUCKING NINTENDO

uh, just FYI the US set has half the discs (the ones that were previously available like Goldfinger, Live and Let Dir, etc) region A locked (US/Japan) and won't play in most Australian BR players unless you've a modified unit. The new discs (You only Live Twice, On Her Majesty's Secret Service, Spy Who Loved Me, Goldeneye, etc) are region free.

The UK one plays fine in australia, though.

Kritz

Banned
I guess I'll start plugging my GOTY website again, since I'm considering it feature complete at this point. By that I mean... I will probably still expand on current features but probably won't introduce any new ones. And also probably won't destroy the database again.

If you're bored this Sunday, hop on down to http://kritz.net/goty/ and start working on game of the year lists.

You can rate games!

And make top 10 lists!

And that's about it!

Nice. Is there going to be some sort of meet up? I'd like to say hello if so.

Payed for my 3 day pass, but accommodation in Melbourne seems rather expensive. My friends were like "let's just stay in a hostel!"... lolno.
I'm actually not sure as of yet. I live in Melbourne so I'm pretty set with accommodation. :)

Edit: gaz. Least you get 3dland box/cart. Its ddl on that 3ds

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Nice. Is there going to be some sort of meet up? I'd like to say hello if so.

Payed for my 3 day pass, but accommodation in Melbourne seems rather expensive. My friends were like "let's just stay in a hostel!"... lolno.

Hey, I stayed in a hostel in melbourne recently. And the experience really wasn't that bad!

Kritz

Banned
By all rights, I feel I should hate Max Payne 3. And to an extent, I do. It wasn't the sequel to Max Payne 1+2, and for that I won't ever really forget. But I just really can't deny how satisfying that game is to play. The slow motion gunplay is the best I've ever seen, and the physics engine rockstar uses is incredible. For what it's worth, I even appreciate that they went in a different direction, and the storyline they present is as enjoyable as any big dumb action movie plot could ever hope to be. Specifically, that big dumb action movie is Man On Fire, and thankfully, I quite enjoyed that movie.

It might be the only game that I both loath and love at the same time. And for that, and all its successes, it has earned its place on my top 10 games of the year list.

Shaneus

Fuuuck, my brother was just showing me some pictures from Queenscliff Music Festival.

The Beards played :( (and DC3, a band I'd never heard of that features ex-members of TISM, including RHB)

Edit: I get the love/hate thing you're experiencing, Kritz. Not specifically for MP3, but sequels in general that seem to completely forget their lineage. The golden gun parts in it, for example. Never would've happened if Remedy were behind it.

Max Payne 3 seemed like it was made by committee, by a bunch of robots who don't know what human emotions are, their only fault.
Because all the emotional story stuff was fucking terrible. Especially compared to Max Payne 2.

The gunplay was enjoyable. Level design was sometimes fantastic, otherwise serviceable. Change to cover style was jarring.

Music was hit and miss.

3 weapon limit was painful :(

Omikron

Do we have an outfit for Planetside 2?

Been trying to find out myself.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=44659532&postcount=18808

That help?

You may be thinking of Duke Nukem Forever. The fucking telegraphing gave me the shit, "oh look an RPG! Must be a vehicle or top shit enemy ahead". :/

God that was an abomination.... it had the potential to be a decent enough game, but they just tried to shoe horn old school throw backs into a modern corridor shooter. Blegh.

Shaneus

Never touched it, thankfully! but you're right... thinking back on the weapons menus now, it definitely wasn't a two-weapon system.

Kritz

Banned
Max Payne 3 seemed like it was made by committee, by a bunch of robots who don't know what human emotions are, their only fault.
Because all the emotional story stuff was fucking terrible. Especially compared to Max Payne 2.

The gunplay was enjoyable. Level design was sometimes fantastic, otherwise serviceable. Change to cover style was jarring.

Music was hit and miss.

3 weapon limit was painful :(

I used cover twice in that entire game, and both were when it was literally forced on me. I absolutely -refused- to use it. I can't imagine how fucking bad that game would be by using cover. Well, I can, because there were two set pieces where you couldn't move out of it, and I was bored to tears.

I really, really enjoyed the music on the penultimate level. Even if I did accidentally die by sidejumping off a railing I thought I'd survive.

I didn't have too much problem with the three weapon limit, as Max Payne 1 and 2 only had one weapon anyway - dual berettas. I was, however, severely bothered by the lack of dual berettas.

Shaneus

Man, fuck the first chapter of Walking Dead. Seriously. But I have a feeling that was a walk in the park compared to what's coming up...

Shaneus

I have some idea, but I had no idea about the first chapter... so I have a feeling my mind will be blown. I'd best not keep any sharp objects near the computer lest I think about self-harming over some of the decisions I make.

hamchan

Got impatient waiting for Nexus 4, bought an iPhone 5. Using it for 10 minutes and it's pretty damn awesome. Take note I was using an iPhone 3G before.

Jintor

My brain is on drugs. Ace with a controller except the auto-lockon sucks balls and there should be a way to just switch lock-on targets without having to turn it on and off

Shaneus

I've taken drugs that did my head in less than the first three levels of that game. I need to wash this feeling off :/

Great game for $5 though. Reminds me of the Nightmare on Elm Street game for PC. I think it was based on 4?

Edit: This one.

Omni

Got impatient waiting for Nexus 4, bought an iPhone 5. Using it for 10 minutes and it's pretty damn awesome. Take note I was using an iPhone 3G before.

I'm still on the fence about buying the iPhone 5. I don't really care for the bigger screen

Kritz

Banned
Hotline Miami is absolutely amazing. It's so mechanically solid, the game is an enthralling mix of reflexes and puzzle solving, the music is drugs, and the story is just goddamn batshit awesome. It was the game that cemented this year as year of the downloadables. And that's even including me playing Journey and Walking Dead and DayZ beforehand. There's something about Hotline Miami that just reeks of sheer quality and fulfilled ambition.

And the soundtrack can be found in the main directory of the game in your steamapps. :D

EDIT:

Oh, and if anyone wants to play the game I worked on for the past six months, I did an update to it today that improves some of the mechanics and fixes a few bugs. Game's still super janky though.

Vlander - Build 16 (.exe, only runs on windows)

I haven't updated the tutorial, but you can press spacebar to do a longjump now.

Rezbit

Terran Republic is where it's at.

Pssh, you can stick with your little Terran peashooters!

Also, Vanu AusGAF outfit is up to 7. A few of us played just then with zero coordination whatsoever. May have to voice chat if we want to play properly.

Dead Man, high settings would be pretty intensive, but I can run it pretty well with 560ti and 2500k. Not a stable 60fps by any means, probably closer to 45-50 most of the time.

Jintor

Also, Vanu AusGAF outfit is up to 7. A few of us played just then with zero coordination whatsoever. May have to voice chat if we want to play properly.

Dead Man, high settings would be pretty intensive, but I can run it pretty well with 560ti and 2500k. Not a stable 60fps by any means, probably closer to 45-50 most of the time.

Okay, we need to keep track. Who's on what on Briggs? Jintor on Terran Republic, the rest of you sound off here. If we're going to defect we need to do it early so we don't waste certs.

Did some voting on Kritz's GOTY thing. Have played 12 games released this year. Have a further six I may begin playing before the end of the year, but will not likely finish more than one or two of those. Rated two I haven't finished in that 12.

Suggestions: Have an option to flag if a game rated was finished (for the sake of consistency just say that's to the end of the main game), allow me to pick my top ten games from the ones I've already rated to make things faster, if the 'jump to' only has one match, go straight to it.

Dead Man

Cheers, I'll see if the old lappy can handle it. It still runs some games much better than I expect, but others worse, so we will see. Looks fun though.

Edit: Been looking at your GOTY shite Kritz, I am reminded how many games I have yet to play from this year. Between no TV for months, and no decent pc, I have been playing bugger all games.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Wii U pre-order deals at K-Mart.

Wii U Basic Pack $299
Wii U Premium Pack $379

$59 Wii U Games
Just Dance 4
Avengers: Battle for Earth
Rabbids Land
Sonic All Star Racing
Game Party Champions

$69 Wii U Games
Fifa 13
NBA 2K13
Assassins Creed 3
ZombiU
New Super Mario Bros U
Scribblenauts Unlimited
Mass Effect 3
Darksiders 2

Fogz

Okay, we need to keep track. Who's on what on Briggs? Jintor on Terran Republic, the rest of you sound off here. If we're going to defect we need to do it early so we don't waste certs.

Vanu on briggs. Only played like 10 minutes so not attached :)

Rezbit

So far on Vanu and in the Outfit is:

Me
Fogz
Rahk
Evlcookie
Sarcasm
Doncamatic
BananaArnie

But also not too fussed if anyone wants to change.

Frawdder

TR for me. Haven't put much time into it yet so I guess I could change...maybe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom