• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 7 - We hang out IRL now and be social and shit. (Also, Adrian's Revenge)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ydahs

So what are the chances of Nintendo TVii being released in Australia with Foxtel support? From what I know, we don't have access to Netflix or Amazon Video, so at this point it seems TVii will be pretty useless for us Aussies.

Omikron

At this stage I have to question peoples obsessions over consoles entirely. Even to the point of questioning their sanity.

Just purchase a PC. Sure you miss some exclusives, but you have so many other things to enjoy that you won't have time to worry.

Life is good man. Save yourself the worry.

Yagharek

So what are the chances of Nintendo TVii being released in Australia with Foxtel support? From what I know, we don't have access to Netflix or Amazon Video, so at this point it seems TVii will be pretty useless for us Aussies.

I think they'll get iview and sbs on demand, maybe ch7 and 10 equivalents.

I cannot for the life of me see them getting anything like foxtel or quickflix. Australia's media setup is to blame here, not nintendo. It's just a shitty market for tv content full stop.

At this stage I have to question peoples obsessions over consoles entirely. Even to the point of questioning their sanity.

Just purchase a PC. Sure you miss some exclusives, but you have so many other things to enjoy that you won't have time to worry.

PCs are not worry free. They come with their own special set of issues, namely compatibility, drivers, and all that entails. Just because you prefer one platform's idiosyncrasies does not mean they are less of an issue for someone who tolerates another platform's own set.

Omikron

PCs are not worry free. They come with their own special set of issues, namely compatibility, drivers, and all that entails. Just because you prefer one platform's idiosyncrasies does not mean they are less of an issue for someone who tolerates another platform's own set.

Yeah, but it is about choosing what those set of problems might be. The PC is a very mature platform now and just continues on its merry way, while every other platform comes and goes in the cycle of console development.

Oh and your statements above are largely non-issues these days (driver/compatibility etc, etc), as has been pointed out numerous times before.

Shaneus

I will respectfully state my belief in your lack of impartiality in the matter. :p

Although, I am floating the idea of a Vita.
I've been seriously considering a Vita as well. But the idea of essentially paying $200ish for one game (I doubt I'd play anything other than Lumines on it) is kind of scary.

I'd be open to expanding to Futurama. Something about Omicron Persei 8?
I was thinking exactly the same thing. Or maybe this:

AusGAF 8: Rhymes with "mate".
or just:
AusGAF 8: Rhymes with "I think you're a cunt, mate".

That's about all I can think of :/

Jintor

The PC is pretty great, but I just had Sleeping Dogs crash for no goddamn reason, then I downloaded a 4 gig patch for it for high res textures, started up planetside, and was confronted with another pretty large patch

it's done now though so ONWARDS

Yagharek

Yeah, but it is about choosing what those set of problems might be. The PC is a very mature platform now and just continues on its merry way, while every other platform comes and goes in the cycle of console development.

Oh and your statements above are largely non-issues these days (driver/compatibility etc, etc), as has been pointed out numerous times before.

PC is a mature platform, but every time a significant landmark is reached it starts over to an extent. It may as well be thought of as a sawtooth function. Several steps forward, a couple steps back, ad infinitum.

But the issues of patches, compatibility etc are not non-issues. As a non-PC gamer, I can still readily point to recent issues of PC games with launch issues. Dark Souls being the most notable. Admittedly its a plus that the issues can be fixed by the community (contrast this with Fez never being patched due to recertification costs), but PC is still a platform with its own unique set of challenges.

Just because you tolerate them does not mean everyone else will, and I know my personality enough to say that I generally won't tolerate PC quirks well.

I've been seriously considering a Vita as well. But the idea of essentially paying $200ish for one game (I doubt I'd play anything other than Lumines on it) is kind of scary.

I've been looking at its library a little bit recently, and the other main game under consideration is Wipeout 2048. Everybody's Golf, Katamari, and Little Kings Story are also tempting.

More generally, an idea I've had recently (15 minutes ago) but previously dismissed entertaining til now is that I might just hold off on jumping in to next gen for a few years. Wait til PS4/XB3/WU are all out, established, failure rates are known, good games are out and so on. Then pick one of the three up for cheap.

In the interim, I have a large library of Wii, DS, GC games. I have a snes, a 3DS, a PS3. I have no shortage of heaps of great games to play time and again.

Dead Man

PC is a mature platform, but every time a significant landmark is reached it starts over to an extent. It may as well be thought of as a sawtooth function. Several steps forward, a couple steps back, ad infinitum.

But the issues of patches, compatibility etc are not non-issues. As a non-PC gamer, I can still readily point to recent issues of PC games with launch issues. Dark Souls being the most notable. Admittedly its a plus that the issues can be fixed by the community (contrast this with Fez never being patched due to recertification costs), but PC is still a platform with its own unique set of challenges.

Just because you tolerate them does not mean everyone else will, and I know my personality enough to say that I generally won't tolerate PC quirks well.

I've been looking at its library a little bit recently, and the other main game under consideration is Wipeout 2048. Everybody's Golf, Katamari, and Little Kings Story are also tempting.

More generally, an idea I've had recently (15 minutes ago) but previously dismissed entertaining til now is that I might just hold off on jumping in to next gen for a few years. Wait til PS4/XB3/WU are all out, established, failure rates are known, good games are out and so on. Then pick one of the three up for cheap.

In the interim, I have a large library of Wii, DS, GC games. I have a snes, a 3DS, a PS3. I have no shortage of heaps of great games to play time and again.

As we go on this decade, more I see the old PC downsides (patches, hardware limitations) cropping up in consoles. PS3 may be my last console.

Edit: Forgot installs :p

Yagharek

As we go on this decade, more I see the old PC downsides (patches, hardware limitations) cropping up in consoles. PS3 may be my last console.

This is true. PS3 is an irritating console at times. I don't know how much of it is unique to my HT setup (this is a generous description) but a typical experience includes booting the system, playing a game, installing a system FW, installing 3 software updates, launching game.

Or, when watching a film, the tv (a bravia, which surely should have excellent ps3 compatibility) likes to switch at least 8 times between inputs before finally reverting back to the default setting (1080p) which it was set to in the first place. Each of those input switches also involves audio farts, which might be an issue with the stereo system itself and an earth loop. (Actually, a bit of research tells me this is the case so I'll fix that).

PS3 though I have to admit does have its uses in my home - bluray and iview.

Omikron

Vince, I marvel at your ability to pick and choose individual cases to prove your own particular point (Dark Souls for eg), while completely ignoring your own massive list of 'issues' with your own personal console and hardware setup.

Welcome back, welcome back indeed :D

Yagharek

Im not ignoring the issues I have, in fact I declared them. But me buying a PC isn't going to eliminate them, just swap one problem for another.

Omikron

Im not ignoring the issues I have, in fact I declared them. But me buying a PC isn't going to eliminate them, just swap one problem for another.

For sure, I just think that people who dismiss the PCs apparent failings are largely misinformed however. The negative points are way over blown because of (a) history and (b) a lack of knowledge and experience.

Yagharek

For sure, I just think that people who dismiss the PCs apparent failings are largely misinformed however. The negative points are way over blown because of (a) history and (b) a lack of knowledge and experience.

You said:

Which pretty much reads as if you think PC is a worry-free wonderland of flowers and rainbows. (I assume you dont think this, btw)

I said it has its own idiosyncrasies which are presumably just as common as with modern consoles, so you're only just switching one problem for another. Yes, I listed a PC example but also a console one. Hopefully that evens the ledger, I was making a like-for-like comparison after all.

I'm glad to see though you did at least come to acknowledge my original point though:

:)

edit: just to make sure I'm not sounding obnoxious, I'm only saying that all platforms have problems and none are hassle free.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The PC is pretty great, but I just had Sleeping Dogs crash for no goddamn reason, then I downloaded a 4 gig patch for it for high res textures, started up planetside, and was confronted with another pretty large patch

it's done now though so ONWARDS

Please be forcing driver level 16xAF.

EB called me to tell me there's a midnight launch for the Wii U (since I preordered). I'm not going till the next morning but I imagined the guy must look like this...

tumblr_md42u3zy4i1ql2603o1_500.jpg

EB called me to tell me there's a midnight launch for the Wii U (since I preordered). I'm not going till the next morning but I imagined the guy must look like this...

tumblr_md42u3zy4i1ql2603o1_500.jpg

i dont get it
wh
why does he want to kill you.
did he not preorder also and wants your wee ewe even though he works at the store?

markot

Banned
What was the brand name of those stupid country cookies you guys kept going on about for about as long as ricki lee before?

Yagharek

Ugh, I think I am going to sit and wait on it. Not enough info, too much uncertainty and FUD.

Might be safest to wait til after E3 2013.

What was the brand name of those stupid country cookies you guys kept going on about for about as long as ricki lee before?

Kookas. They're horrible. Get timtams instead.

markot

Banned
Ugh, I think I am going to sit and wait on it. Not enough info, too much uncertainty and FUD.

Might be safest to wait til after E3 2013.

Kookas. They're horrible. Get timtams instead.

Hitler waited too long to invade Russia.

Also theyre not that bad, but theyre nothing like you guys hyped them up to be. Fleh at best. Like Ricki lee.

Hitler spread himself too thin. Like the correct way to introduce people to Vegemite. Also if he was more Communist he would have had a better chance of uniting the continent against Atilla the Hun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom