• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 7 - We hang out IRL now and be social and shit. (Also, Adrian's Revenge)

Status
Not open for further replies.

midonnay

fuck Dick Smith.... I'm glad they're dying

they tried to sell me a refurbished harddrive as new the other day. Who in the right mind would accept something refurbished for something as important as a backup :/

Used to buy all sorts of hobby electronics stuff from them when I first came to Oz....

now they don't even sell solder >_<

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I put in my GMG order for Sleeping Dogs a month or so ago. I had tons of fun with the original True Crime and had been interested in Sleeping Dogs when it was going under that banner, bummed out when it was canned. I'm glad SE picked it up, as it looks like a lot of fun.

Danoss

I guess Funway with Electronics Kits 1 and 2 dont cut the mustard these days :(

Their radio kits were big when I was in high school. For fun, a friend of mine and some other kids would run their own competing radio stations with them on weekends (it was a boarding school). Good times.

Only 12 hours of class time, but including breaks and travel it becomes... *looks at fingers*... 26. Yuck. Due to last minute timetable changes I'm doing four days a week. I didn't sign up to a BA for this!!!
I only do anime avatar trends and real pic january
Awww yeah.
No uni today. I would probably collapse if I did go in.
be glad you didn't. Everyone and their mother was there. There was free fairy floss, but the line started in the refec and finished in the great court.
I have breaks at 11 and 2 on Mon/ Tues. So let me know if you're free then and we'll burger it up.

Rep now that I know what your avatar is it's really terrifying. Like realising that your paintings eyes are actually real.
2 on a Tuesday sounds like it. I may have to communicate through pen and pad, though. This cold and so much talking has dropped my voice to new monotone depths.
Nah, it's probably the beard.

Sqaure Enix have been doing a damn good job of weaselling into my wallet this generation for non-FF money. Quite shocking to think about really. Will always love them for picking up Eidos and giving the games the time and money they need to really shine.

senahorse

Great shirt on teefury.com today:

1339259369_BOTTOM_4.jpg

Yagharek

Their radio kits were big when I was in high school. For fun, a friend of mine and some other kids would run their own competing radio stations with them on weekends (it was a boarding school). Good times.

For some reason I never managed to get the crystal radio working, despite making success in the other harder projects with the two series you used to be able to buy. I won't claim expertise on them though, my mind is more geared to the theoretical rather than the technical. But my skills are kind of the opposite. Like I'm stuck in some intellectual no-mans-land.

That kind of learning (home electronics kits, BASIC programming) and all sorts of media influences I tend to associate with that era of education (The Hobbit, Pink Floyd, Red Dwarf) and a bit more raw experimentation with learning technical stuff seems to be lost, and its almost something I feel nostalgia for despite being disinterested in most of it back in the day.

I was more interested in cricket and footy despite being no good at either.

I suspect this post may be sudafed influenced, so if it makes no sense, I take no responsibility for it. I also just bought Tingle's Rosy Rupee Land off ebay too.

I put in my GMG order for Sleeping Dogs a month or so ago. I had tons of fun with the original True Crime and had been interested in Sleeping Dogs when it was going under that banner, bummed out when it was canned. I'm glad SE picked it up, as it looks like a lot of fun.

Square Enix seem to be a real jeckyl and hyde this generation. Some of their western and handheld decisions have been inspired (Eidos, Deus Ex, soon to be Thief resurrections on the western front) and finally porting Chrono Trigger to DS, along with TWEWY, Dragon Quest remakes, DQIX, their PSP JRPG support.

On consoles they made FF13 and FF13-2. :/

Sqaure Enix have been doing a damn good job of weaselling into my wallet this generation for non-FF money. Quite shocking to think about really. Will always love them for picking up Eidos and giving the games the time and money they need to really shine.

As I said above. I do hold out a glimmer of hope for DQX, despite it being MMO. Hopefully they dont ruin the series like they did with FF after FF12.

My uni unit uses a textbook from 2006! No stupid 2012 edition that I HAVE to buy! Thank you Mr Lecturer!

On consoles they made FF13 and FF13-2. :/

Remember last generation? Driving Emotion Type-S, The Bouncer, Dirge of Cerberus & Dawn of Mana :/
So much potential.

Also everyone should grab UC3 and SR3 at that price! Both awesome experiences.

Yagharek

Remember last generation? Driving Emotion Type-S, The Bouncer, Dirge of Cerberus & Dawn of Mana :/
So much potential.

I'd rather them go back to their PS1 era output. Tobal 2, Bushido Blade, Ehrgeiz, and Brave Fencer Musashi.

Also everyone should grab UC3 and SR3 at that price! Both awesome experiences.

I paid a nett of $0 for UC3 thanks to an EB or JB trade in deal that gave me a full value trade in for MW3.

I still feel ripped off.

Danoss

Bushido Blade

Fuck YES!

As much as I would be destroyed if there were an online component today, that game was what I wanted to see more of. There was never enough lethal games with that feel around that were still fun, even for novices.

When GoldenEye was in its heyday, the hours of fun that were had with Licence to Kill game mode with pistols only. It didn't age well, but damn that was some fun at the time. Something about instant or near-instant death that was really engaging.

It's probably why I'm taking a shining to some lethal PnP RPGs these days.

Yagharek

Fuck YES!

As much as I would be destroyed if there were an online component today, that game was what I wanted to see more of. There was never enough lethal games with that feel around that were still fun, even for novices.

The game really was a level playing field. Some of the longer reach weapons were initially seen as giving you a big advantage, except for the fact you would have the other guy run rings around you. And no matter how good you got at it, it only ever took one hit to kill you if you got cocky.

Shame the series has been long forgotten.

When GoldenEye was in its heyday, the hours of fun that were had with Licence to Kill game mode with pistols only. It didn't age well, but damn that was some fun at the time. Something about instant or near-instant death that was really engaging.

It's probably why I'm taking a shining to some lethal PnP RPGs these days.

Goldeneye, I will argue til the end of time, has aged fine. It still plays perfectly, the audio is classic and nothing will ever top proxy mines in the bunker for pure mayhem and multiplayer fps gameplay.

Yagharek

I .... I cant believe what I just read.

There's a thread in OT where people now think the LOTR films are shit, Peter Jackson only makes shitty movies, that the LOTR films are as bad as Star Wars or that The Hobbit as a potential 3 part film would be a bad thing.

Is this some kind of opposite day, where The Beatles are seen as rubbish, Billy Ray Cyrus is revered as the second coming of Beethoven, and Twilight replaces Shakespeare in English Literature classes?

Danoss

Goldeneye, I will argue til the end of time, has aged fine. It still plays perfectly, the audio is classic and nothing will ever top proxy mines in the bunker for pure mayhem and multiplayer fps gameplay.

Unfortunately if you play against someone who has memorised the spawn patterns on different maps, it's really not fun anymore. Why it wasn't random is beyond me.

Yagharek

Unfortunately if you play against someone who has memorised the spawn patterns on different maps, it's really not fun anymore. Why it wasn't random is beyond me.

This used to be somewhat of a problem, but unlike modern day FPS games, in my group of GE players, k-d ratios weren't the focus. It was all about skullduggery and overcoming it.

OK, so deaths in the toilet vent were frequent, but so was the occasional escape from the impossible and karate-chopping the gloating cheat to death in the ensuing chaos.

It was a game where it was possible to enjoy losing, and taking everyone else down with you.

Unlike say, CoD, where no matter where you spawn, running for 10 seconds in any direction will see you get pinged from across the map by some 12 year old savant hurling abuse in high pitch. Stay still, and you still get killed.

Goldeneye is a level playing field.

Danoss

OK, so deaths in the toilet vent were frequent, but so was the occasional escape from the impossible and karate-chopping the gloating cheat to death in the ensuing chaos.

It was a game where it was possible to enjoy losing, and taking everyone else down with you.

Moments like them are amongst the best times I have ever had in gaming. One particular GoldenEye memory will stay with me until the day I die.

As was the majority of our game time, it was Licence to Kill, pistols only (though like others, proximity mines was also a favourite). We got tired of people whining "oh, I'm dead again, I didn't even have a gun!" The rule "Don't have a gun? Grow one!" was instituted, so if you died without a weapon, suck it up princess because no one cares.

This one occasion, we were playing on Aztec and someone relatively new to the game was playing and didn't know where the gun spawn points were. Another player instead of dutifully putting a bullet in his head, walked up to him and said "follow me" and proceeded to lead him toward a nearby weapon and ammo crate. The new player, once he saw the weapons in the distance, slapped the helpful player in the back, killing him. I can't remember laughing as hard as I did when I saw that happen, I'm still chuckling just thinking about it.

GoldenEye will always hold a special place in my heart.

Rezbit

Bushido Blade and Goldeneye, both amazing games.

License to Kill with pistols was all we ended up rocking by the end (with no autoaim). That shit was TENSE. When the only thing you picked up was the magnum and your opponent had a dostevei, yet you still managed to get the kill, so glorious!

Yagharek

Moments like them are amongst the best times I have ever had in gaming. One particular GoldenEye memory will stay with me until the day I die.

As was the majority of our game time, it was Licence to Kill, pistols only (though like others, proximity mines was also a favourite). We got tired of people whining "oh, I'm dead again, I didn't even have a gun!" The rule "Don't have a gun? Grow one!" was instituted, so if you died without a weapon, suck it up princess because no one cares.

This one occasion, we were playing on Aztec and someone relatively new to the game was playing and didn't know where the gun spawn points were. Another player instead of dutifully putting a bullet in his head, walked up to him and said "follow me" and proceeded to lead him toward a nearby weapon and ammo crate. The new player, once he saw the weapons in the distance, then slapped the helpful player in the back, killing him. I can't remember laughing as hard as I did when I saw that happen, I'm still chuckling just thinking about it.

GoldenEye will always hold a special place in my heart.

Haha, that would lead to repercussions in the living room. I loved that aspect of goldeneye multi. You can commit all sorts of bargaining and consequences that online gaming just cannot ever compete with. I dont care if it's LAN on PC/xbox or 4p splitscreen, local multi is king.

We used to play a variant in the bunker where you had only one gun, or only one person was allowed to carry one. If you got cornered by him you were taken as hostage and marched off to the cells for summary execution. But you could try and escape.

Expert strategy became a matter of ducking, running and karate chopping an armed player with much stronger health. And of course in the confusion, he would get killed and a new guard would emerge.

It basically wound up as chaotic as bomberman sudden death rounds. Mario Smash Football was kind of like that too.

Danoss

That game sounds fantastic. And yes local mutiplayer is the best. We loved it so much, if we couldn't use the big TV, we'd all be huddled around my little 32cm tv playing 4-player split-screen.

Crouching and slapping was an expert strategy. Sometimes it would be a valid tactic to avoid gunfire. Oddjob was banned for being too short, so crouching would take its place.

Just watched this. Looks damned good. I always wanted a GTA-style game set in Hong Kong, so if it looks as good as the walkthrough shows (love the way they're mixing up missions, hope this one isn't an exception) I'll be picking this up.

Don't really understand why they chose an MMA guy though to drive the fighting styles. Wing Chun is like the martial art that's associated with Hong Kong.

I could pay both GST and VAT on my most recent Amazon UK order and it would still be ~$100 less than the same items in JB's current 20% off sale. Have the non-people that make up Sunrise's audience and whoever else was buying into Gerry Harvey's "herp online sales derp GST" crap identified it as the bullshit that it is yet?

Dead Man

I could pay both GST and VAT on my most recent Amazon UK order and it would still be ~$100 less than the same items in JB's current 20% off sale. Have the non-people that make up Sunrise's audience and whoever else was buying into Gerry Harvey's "herp online sales derp GST" crap identified it as the bullshit that it is yet?

No, but everyone else has.

POP QUIZ: Where can I go to buy a new battery for my phone. It has been dying for a while but today it is basically shitting out charge quicker than I can charge it up. Optus don't have any for the Galaxy S2 and the new expanded batteries don't release for another fortnight or so.
HELP ME AUSGAF

Also L4D2 is 75% off until Fri/Sat. Get a GAFfer to gift you an unrated copy!!! Game now has a fuckload of content for $5, L4D maps now included!

There's a thread in OT where people now think the LOTR films are shit, Peter Jackson only makes shitty movies, that the LOTR films are as bad as Star Wars or that The Hobbit as a potential 3 part film would be a bad thing.

I don't remember The Hobbit being that long of a book? I thought it was shorter than one of the LOTR books? EH.

Yagharek

I havent read it, but I take anything Peter Jackson says in good faith. His films have unrivalled atmosphere in the modern era.

Salazar

I can appreciate people being disappointed that The Hobbit's virtues as a supremely paced novel would be even less apparent if a third film were to happen.

I'd like more.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I'm against The Hobbit being split into three films simply because the original screenplay has been written specifically as a two film structure. Jackson would have to shoot additional footage and edit the total content to account for three films. While possible, it runs the risk of clashing with the original screenplay, which would have been meticulously crafted to account for budget and run time of a two films.

Introducing a third film, to me, is more for the sake of more, rather than a necessity for more, and that worries me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom