• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 7 - We hang out IRL now and be social and shit. (Also, Adrian's Revenge)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jambo

My fault really, recharging only takes like 3 hours at most and I would have it on the charger basically every night for 12 hours which will take its toll eventually. Plus I run it into the ground pretty hard with full brightness and tons of twitter/internet/gaming usage.

I thought they got rid of that ages ago?

I leave my 2 year old iPhone 4 on charge all the time and it still lasts for a couple of days.

I've even had it last for 3-4 when I've hardly used it.

I thought they got rid of that ages ago?

I leave my iPhone 4 on charge all the time and it still lasts for a couple of days.

I've even had it last for 3-4 when I've hardly used it.

If I clear all the running apps before I go to bed it will only use a tiny amount of battery in that 10 hours, something like 5-6% but as soon as I turn on wifi, Plume, Internet, Gmail and Sync it can start to suck it out. Plume sync has been really thirsty since the last update. Main draw though is the screen obviously. Playing CMI though ScummVM is awesome but damn, does it ever chew that battery with all that beautiful, colourful artwork.

EDIT: Dark Souls PC is now $70 :/ Damn slow acting Australia tax.

Raxum

Same here, it's like smashing my brain though a chicken wire fence to get any fucking information up on the screen at times. Doesn't help that the PC is super low tech, interesting to see what happens when they finally get it on Win7.

Agreed, we're running WinXP on i5s at work, with non-SSD harddrives and it's pretty painful. The PC I just upgraded is on a normal HDD at the moment, but upgrading to a SSD as soon as I can. I've actually been looking at a few different things, like mSATA SSDs and PCI-E SSDs, and wow, the difference in speeds between a SATA connected drive and a PCI-E drive is pretty insane. ~500MB/s Read/Write speed to ~900MB/s RW speed is a pretty big jump, with the added benefit of no cabling required (as far as I can tell). mSATA seems slower though, but I like the idea of having a dedicated drive attached directly to the MOBO.

Anyone had any experience with the mSATA or PCI-E SSDs?

Edit: Really? Dark Souls is $70 now? Lucky I pre-ordered mine on Steam a couple of days ago then.

Anyone had any experience with the mSATA or PCI-E SSDs?
This is the only SSD I have used, running off SATA3. Read speeds are good up around 500MB/s (maybe a bit faster since the firmware update last year) but write speed is slow at 100MB/s.
Also I paid $280 for the 128GB SSD last september :(
The Sandisk Extreme SSD that Shaneus has is 500+MB/s for both R/W and I haven't come across too many issues reading from Google. Considering it is cheaper than Intel/Crucial it would be my pick for a new one.

Yeah, most (if not all?) modern phones would be running a trickle charge nowadays once full, so I'd expect it's not your fault reptile, as long as you conditioned it first.

I find almost all batteries start to go shit after 18 months anyway, depending on other factors like heat and stuff, so if it's that age I wouldn't be surprised it's failing at all.

Raxum

This is the only SSD I have used, running off SATA3. Read speeds are good up around 500MB/s (maybe a bit faster since the firmware update last year) but write speed is slow at 100MB/s.
Also I paid $280 for the 128GB SSD last september :(
The Sandisk Extreme SSD that Shaneus has is 500+MB/s for both R/W and I haven't come across too many issues reading from Google. Considering it is cheaper than Intel/Crucial it would be my pick for a new one.

Ah fair enough, I was looking at OCZ SSDs which are pretty cheap and apparently reasonably good quality. I use Umart for a lot of my PC part shopping and noticed this bad-boy which is pretty expensive for a drive, but the speed on a 1TB it gives are amazing. Bit dubious about it though as it would be relatively new and I'm not sure about it. And I was considering an mSATA drive to avoid having lots of cables but I can only find SATA2 one's for around the $200 on umart. Might have to shop around some more.

Ah fair enough, I was looking at OCZ SSDs which are pretty cheap and apparently reasonably good quality. I use Umart for a lot of my PC part shopping and noticed this bad-boy which is pretty expensive for a drive, but the speed on a 1TB it gives are amazing. Bit dubious about it though as it would be relatively new and I'm not sure about it. And I was considering an mSATA drive to avoid having lots of cables but I can only find SATA2 one's for around the $200 on umart. Might have to shop around some more.

I've heard lots of bad things about OCZ SSD's, even only a few posts ago r1chard was talking about his.
Sandisk are cheap, $200 for 256GB. Even Crucial are under $1/GB now, although they are slower.

I think I remember hearing that 256GB was the sweet spot to get the highest speed out of an SSD, will double check Anand.

Raxum

I've heard lots of bad things about OCZ SSD's, even only a few posts ago r1chard was talking about his.
Sandisk are cheap, $200 for 256GB. Even Crucial are under $1/GB now, although they are slower.

I think I remember hearing that 256GB was the sweet spot to get the highest speed out of an SSD, will double check Anand.

Hmm okay, seems umart don't really stock many of those, time for me to do some shopping around! Still like the idea of mSATA or PCI-E cards, if for nothing but the lack of cabling required for them. Always found SATA ports and the power connectors to be fiddly at the best of times.

Hmm okay, seems umart don't really stock many of those, time for me to do some shopping around! Still like the idea of mSATA or PCI-E cards, if for nothing but the lack of cabling required for them. Always found SATA ports and the power connectors to be fiddly at the best of times.

Where do you live? I look at most stuff on PCCG and then buy from Centrecom or MSY since they have stores in Geelong. Amazon import is always an option is they ship that product here.

Raxum

Where do you live? I look at most stuff on PCCG and then buy from Centrecom or MSY since they have stores in Geelong. Amazon import is always an option is they ship that product here.

I live in Brisbane, about 10 min drive from the CBD. I've probably got lots of options here but umart has generally been good to me for getting parts from and never really had a problem with them, though I've heard some interesting stories. Nearest MSY store is about 20-30 mins from me last I checked, which isn't far but Umart is only about 10 mins away.

Edit: Looking at reviews of some OCZ stuff on Amazon and a few other sites, seems that a fair few OCZ drives seem to die, not a huge percentage, but more than I'd expect from such a big company. Time to look at other ones I guess. The speeds they quoted were definitely too good to be true haha.

Raxum

Hmm, thanks for the link codswallop, haven't seen that site before, and I shall have to bookmark it. I was just looking at amazon at this mSATA SSD which seems pretty cheap. Only looking at them for the lack of cabling, but I can't see any reviews on them that aren't people using them in laptops or tablets, even though all those reviews are good. I've got a Z77 chipset MOBO with an mSATA port on it, so I'd assume it would work as a boot partition/drive.

Sandisk and Crucial seem to have some pretty good reviews though, and the Kingston SSD in my old PC ran like a dream the whole time I had it so those would probably be the companies I'd trust.

Omikron

Kids today.

commodore_c64_tape-recorder-1530-c2.jpg

Why were the best games you had always on tape instead of fucking disks.

Oh the loading pain. The pain.

Fredescu

Mandiller posted this to Twitter, the Cloud Atlas extended trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q48Aq488GwA

Don't watch it if you're still planning on read the book and want to go in blind (which is what I did and it was a cool experience). It's a pretty cool trailer if you have no intention of reading it.

The post was a response to Omi's YouTube thing. May not have been that obvious.
Oh, an "I don't want to live on this planet anymore" thing. I'm slow.

Warren Ellis wrote some Iron Man? I know what I am doing tonight!
making a meek attempt to clean up the house, read a bunch of unimportant bullshit on the internet and then realise it is 10pm and I should go to bed so I don't wake up too tired to iron my shirt in the morning :(

Salazar

Warren Ellis wrote some Iron Man? I know what I am doing tonight!
making a meek attempt to clean up the house, read a bunch of unimportant bullshit on the internet and then realise it is 10pm and I should go to bed so I don't wake up too tired to iron my shirt in the morning :(

I'm watching some old Nigella's Kitchen episodes I have on my laptop, eating lasagne, hoping the last of this goddamned cold goes away, and preparing to get up way to early tomorrow to jump on a train where - lucky me - every other passenger will be coughing themselves to death.

I'm bumming around until I pick up the wife from work in an hour. Watched the latest Breaking Bad, making tonkatsu with rice and miso for dinner. Might play some Vanquish if I can be bothered. Probably not.

Conversation at first shift today:
Girl: oh, you arent in high school then? did you graduate last year?
Me: no.
Girl: the year before that?
Me: no.
Girl: you must be old.

:'(
Hey Shan, look what turned up in the mail today, thanks again for the heads up :D

photo13.jpg
Damn it, I just resolved myself not to buy it >< but how could I not now.

I think Kogan have improved in recent times. How much is the Arc?

I'm bumming around until I pick up the wife from work in an hour. Watched the latest Breaking Bad, making tonkatsu with rice and miso for dinner. Might play some Vanquish if I can be bothered. Probably not.

Can I be your wife?

yeerrp. I'm not even 20 until October. High school kids *throws hands in the air* iunno.
I graduated from high school whole decade ago. I see kids walking around, going to uni and I think "Those kids could barely even read and couldn't even do long division when I was the age they are now."

It only gets worse the older you get.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom